Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 May 2006, 06:11 (Ref:1621682)   #51
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The call on ABC at the finish was hilarious.

Marty Reid: Hornish wins by SIX HUNDREDTHS of a second! The CLOSEST FINISH...
Scott Goodyear: (not missing a beat, rather irritated) SECOND CLOSEST!!!
Marty Reid: ...in Indy history!

It's like that number never escapes his mind...
Old 29 May 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1621771)   #52
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL

Poor Goodyear , sadly i had to have the ESPN international coverage so I didnt hear that , but looks like it would have been a classic.

Well the 90th Running is run and won.

Sam Hornish Finally gets the result he has been after for years , and considering his speed all month I guess he was always going to be the man to beat , Well done and Congratulations Sam.

Marco Andretti , what can you say the Boy stood up and drove like a man today , I hadnt been too impressed with his season so far but Indy brought it out in him didnt it , well done Young man

Michael Andretti , drove really well but just didnt have the car at the end but still 3rd at Indy is a great achievement and it would have been an excellent night at the Andretti's last night , and there is Mario Proud as punch watching it all happen

the rest well , honourable mentions to Dan Wheldon , Scott Dixon , Tony Kanaan , everyone else wasnt really in the hunt during the race.

But a fantastic race and now I cant wait for the 91st running
Old 29 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1622043)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Certainly was an excellent race (just seemed so much faster despite the cautions?)

Was bit gutted for Marco being done at the line like that, but Sam has once again proven what a class driver he really is anmd that the only thing really holding him back the last couple of years was the equipment/engine perhaps?

I agree with Marcus' choices of mention too.

What iaa found a bit distressing was the ridiculously slow pace of some of the backmakers, it was like they were in broken cars or something (one or two of them were failry quick drivers a couple of years ago) so you'd expect them to peel off into pit road, yet 3/4 laps later the leaders would come flying right up behind them again causing a few flutters I bet!

I might just also add that Marco Andretti is clearly a major talent and at his age has a massive future in front of him in top level signel seater racing without a doubt.

Who's gonna run down the bookies and put some money on him driving for Honda in F1 within 2-3 years?
Old 29 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1622053)   #54
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great finish, only 10 cars on the lead lap though, that last couple of races have had more pack racing.

Some of Wheldon's moves were great, and when going green the last time it was anyone's race.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 29 May 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1622099)   #55
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunning race as always. Hornish deserved the win really as he has been the class of the field for the whole month of May. He has said since even before geting into the IRL that Indy was his goal so I was rooting for him today, yet my heart sank when pulled the fuel hose out. But in true Indy style, Penske played the game to perfection with running him lean and using the yellows to the advantage.

The last few laps of Hornish were astounding but I really did think Marco had it won when he blocked Hornish in T3 on lap 199. Marco must have had a lift the next time round for Sam to get all that back but thge finish was just stunning.

Bad luck to Marco as it would have been mega for him to win but a star was born at Indy yesterday and I'm sure he'll get his shot v.soon.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1622105)   #56
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Mario and Michael would be going to jail, as Marco is underage, or they won't let him into a bar. Marco is 19, you have to be 21 to be able to drink beer, or enter a bar.
Bah, don't give me that.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1622114)   #57
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So if you win a race in America, your on the podium and you have the bubbly, so your not aloud to drink it untill your 21? That rule sucks...
Old 29 May 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1622116)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is quite possible, but they all stick to the laws 100% over there apparently, so no such danger.
Old 29 May 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1622257)   #59
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't get to see the race. (sounds like I missed a good one) What happened to Weldon if he was leading most of the race? Was Marco at the front due to pace or fuel stratagy?
Old 29 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1622280)   #60
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wheldon cut a tire and had to come in for new ones -- I dunno about marco but it was fortunate fuel pit strat for michael that got him to the point before the final green flag.
Old 29 May 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1622383)   #61
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Great work by Sam, what a champion.

Hmmm...As a wierd Hazza statistic, the last guy to finish 2nd behind a Penske in his rookie year won the series, the indy 500 and the F1 world championship
Villeneuve in 1994?
Old 29 May 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1622387)   #62
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah that's what he's thinking...
Old 30 May 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1622528)   #63
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
What iaa found a bit distressing was the ridiculously slow pace of some of the backmakers, it was like they were in broken cars or something (one or two of them were failry quick drivers a couple of years ago)
Agreed. I remember 2 or 3 years ago being very impressed by Airton Dare at Indy, last weekend he was woeful. Felipe Giaffone was another one - used to be a competent driver.

I wouldn't rate either of the above as world beaters, but they'd poke around comfortably without disgracing themselves. They should not have been on the track at the weekend, terrible.

A couple of other thoughts on reflection:

*How long is it going to be before AJ tells #4 to vacate the seat?

*Did Max Papis turn up?! With a song and dance made about him on the ABC qualifying feed last weekend, ESPN International didn't show him all day! I know he finished, but you would have thought he'd attract at least a mention.

*Danica did well, proved again she is a great young talent.

*Kind of surprised about a lack of announcement between IRL/CCWS. Will wait and see the media that comes out this week, but would have thought there might have been a mention on how merger talks were progressing.
Old 30 May 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1622619)   #64
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what you mean about AJ and "#4". A.J. Foyt IV is currently an unemployed NASCAR driver and Larry Foyt was doing a one off. The Foyt team missed the set-up on Sunday and both cars were bad, it wasn't Felipe's fault.

Dare did as well or better than expected. he drove for a low budget team with Panoz chassis. The only team that only runs Indy that finished ahead of him was both Playa Del Racing cars and he had the second highest finish of any Single Car team.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1623763)   #65
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hornish was ace what a finish
Marco Brill And Unlucky
michael old But fair play
Dannika Is Lovley !!
Old 31 May 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1623961)   #66
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
actually this was typical of most irl races.
several fast cars fighting for p1 right to the end.

the only difference....at ims. someone is watching.
Old 31 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1623986)   #67
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a great finish. Hornish was the guy I figured would win it. I think he's got a good shot at winning his third championship this season too.

J.D.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1624297)   #68
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A bit late to post here, but wowser! What a show!

It would have been so cool to see (pick either) an Andretti win, but Hornish not only had the car, but the smarts and the skill to use it to maximum advantage.

I was very impressed with Danica: crappy chassis and all, she drove a very clean race with really good pace. Her pit crew let her down not once but twice yet she soldiered back up to 8th. She was visibly disappointed in the post-race interview as was Marco and I say: "Great!" I love seeing a driver who is not afraid to let us know that they wanted more out of the drive! Marco's "second place is no place" was just a classic and great to hear.

So often we get the usual: "The Megagleeks Goober Banking Dallarapanoz was terrific today and the Team was great (even though they bolluxed two pitstops) - it was just a shame that the winning car was just a bit better. I will just go home, make my bed, kiss my mother, help old ladies across the street and cure cancer." Then they go away looking pleased as punch that someone else won. Gag. I drove a stinking Showroom Stock Car and I HATED losing! Give me someone who really wants it any day (Tony Stewart, where are you?) over these well-rehearsed droids!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 03:55 (Ref:1624315)   #69
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
Wheldon cut a tire and had to come in for new ones -- I dunno about marco but it was fortunate fuel pit strat for michael that got him to the point before the final green flag.
I think you are being a little unfair on Marco to suggest that it was fuel strategy only. Marco & Michael were hovering around the pointy end all day. Yes ultimately the fuel strategy did give him the shot in the end, but he was still there.

Anyhow, I have just finised watching the race (I had to get someone else to tape it for me) I have to echo everyones sentiments. My wife thinks I'm crazy, screaming at the TV at an event that I'm watching on tape!!!

What really impressed me about Marco was his first 50 laps. There were at least 3 occassions where HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE WALL!!!. There was one occassion where he nearly smacked up the back of Helio and ther was another occassion when he got in the marbles on turn 4. Sure, these were probably Rookie mistakes and he shouldn't have put himself in this position.....but to react and hold it like he did.....absolutely unreal!!!! This kid is a talent....
Old 1 Jun 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1624885)   #70
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think anyone was criticizing Michael's fuel strategy decision....he was in the top 10 most of the day....but there were other race cars that were faster than Michael was...

Marco had a great car all day long...he was on rails...

Hornish getting a top-off while he "tested" the new fuel hose coupling before he served his penalty probably saved his chance to win it...lots of cars had to take a splash during that final yellow to make it to the end...and his staying out cycled him up from 8th to 3rd to give him the shot at the end.

Michael and Hornish did not have to pit because they made good pit strategy choices....

Marco actually got a break when he did his splash and go, because the yellow came out as he got it, and he got out of the pits behind his Dad, but ahead of where Hornish was on the track while others came in to get the splash....

Danica had two consecutive stops that fell just a couple of laps before yellows that cycled her back in the field, because she lost spots under green light conditions....both were bad breaks for her that were simply fate...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Jun 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1625045)   #71
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
In retrospect Tim, I agree that I am being harsh in regards to Danica's pit crew - I am just disappointed that such a good drive has really been unnoticed. The good news here is that there were a number of good drives for us to notice!

Rahal/Letterman can't be held responsible for the timing of the yellows. They gave her a fast car and the shifting fates at Indy kept her from getting the result she deserved (I think a top 3 was very possible for her).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1625112)   #72
Dennis H.
Rookie

United States
Noblesville, Indiana
Dennis H. has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Marco must be devistated. Hopefully I'll get to see some clips or something on the net.
There are a bunch over at ESPN's website and here is one somebody did just showing the last five laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYb3Yt3hdfc
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1625183)   #73
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent! Thank you very much