Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1648492)   #51
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And ch. 10 have been known to move around the sequences in their replays.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1648522)   #52
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the replay was shown as a little aside after the race had finished, so no clues there. My guess is it was one of: immediately after the blow up; immediately after the race on the slowing down lap (in which case possibly ok-ish and not as dangerous as it looked); on the last lap thinking it was the slowing down lap (and I have seen that happen in the past).

It's all very uncertain, though, and I doubt we'll ever know.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1648542)   #53
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Well the replay was shown as a little aside after the race had finished, so no clues there. My guess is it was one of: immediately after the blow up; immediately after the race on the slowing down lap (in which case possibly ok-ish and not as dangerous as it looked); on the last lap thinking it was the slowing down lap (and I have seen that happen in the past).

It's all very uncertain, though, and I doubt we'll ever know.
I was in a corporate box just above it. From my brain dead booze befuddled memory, it was about 2 or 3 laps after the car stopped. May have been less or more. The car started to smoke after a short period of time. The obvious thing was that the marshalls at the final corner on the same side 80 metres down the track never even moved.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1648835)   #54
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
BFC.

Anthony Tratt never hit the wall either, did he.
yeah good onya.........and i wont mention th HQ hanging off the tilt
Old 5 Jul 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1648907)   #55
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC
yeah good onya.........and i wont mention th HQ hanging off the tilt

ah, the HQ tilt tray incident, wasnt that caused by the assistance of someone else who is a regular contributor here????? and no, it wasnt PVDA
Old 5 Jul 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1649081)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to say, it was a heck of a blow up. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I don't remember a V8 being so comprehensively lunched as that one before.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1649114)   #57
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl
ah, the HQ tilt tray incident, wasnt that caused by the assistance of someone else who is a regular contributor here????? and no, it wasnt PVDA
time to bring this subject back on track - enough of all the war stories.

Last edited by hml2777; 5 Jul 2006 at 20:28.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1649181)   #58
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
time to bring this subject back on track - enough of all the war stories.
Phew, i escaped another arrow..........

So, back on topic.

I have been a marshall for over 15 years, and i've never almost been run over, knocked down & sent to hospital, but never almost run over

Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1649520)   #59
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl
aaaaggggghhhhhhhh.........the little silver switch!!!!!!
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1649532)   #60
Aquarius
Racer

What silver switch, oh that one near the control panel, anyway enough of that, move along, nothing to see here!!!!
Old 8 Jul 2006, 05:37 (Ref:1650658)   #61
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Back to the topic at hand, Darwin.
And to near misses....

My eye in the sky, No 1 spy, just told me (over a few quiet frothies) that the Marshall allocated the task of driving the course car last weekendat Hidden Valley, took the FIV Medical Car out for some 'Hot Lap' on Friday late afternoon.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause, as Ho Ho Ho he fenced the aforementioned vehicle, with a front wheel being pushed back to the firewall, and the Medical Car being almost written of.

Now let me stress, it was not a VESA Chrysler or any VESA vehicle, but one of either the circuit's or the organisation providing the medical coverage's vehicles.

The unfortunate individual wasn't injured, (bloody lucky) and at this point in time, no word of recriminations or punishments.

Now i've just had another look at the tape of the telecast, and a blue Falcon marked with 'Course Car' was being used to chase the fiels on race starts, which is traditionally the role of an FIV (medical car), clearly the circuits own course car was slotted in at the last minute to replace the broken toy.

So.

Any comments on drivers of official vehicles, (careful, i've been know to pilot one on the odd occasion)

Can anyone confirm or deny, or add to anything further on the Darwin incident mentioned above.

My sauce is, as always premium quality, (White Crow) I just wish they had got this gem to me a bit sooner.......
Old 8 Jul 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1650670)   #62
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Have to say, it was a heck of a blow up. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I don't remember a V8 being so comprehensively lunched as that one before.
Wayne Gardner, Bathurst 1997. That was quite big. Took some cars with him as well.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1650676)   #63
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Uncle, I have to wonder what sort of person would take such pleasure in an incident such as the one you have reported. You obviously had a great laugh when you heard the story and i can't imagine why you would think that something like this was so great.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1650727)   #64
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Uncle, I have to wonder what sort of person would take such pleasure in an incident such as the one you have reported. You obviously had a great laugh when you heard the story and i can't imagine why you would think that something like this was so great.

David, with your history on both this forum, and in motorsport, I am astounded by the remark, and (believe it or not) a little hurt.

I've been driving official vehicles on race tracks for more than 15 years, and so far never has the misfortune to hit anything, I'm first to admit to the vehicle being less than perpendicular to track edge on a few occasions, and yes I've even visited the grass on occasion.
And suffered the taunts of my teammates to boot.

I most certainly didn't "Had a great laugh" as you so kindly put it, having been the driver of an FIV; Fire & rescue vehicle; Course car; Safety car; pace car; clean up ute & even tow truck driver over my stretch of time, I actually was heartened to hear the driver wasn't injured, and I actually felt for him.

He now suffers the misfortune of having to live with a mistake like that.

Hindsight tells me I possibly should not have made the original post, but tact has never been a strong point of mine.

I was curious to know more, not villify the individual, as the tone of your post suggests.

I'm more than happy to have a mod delete my post or lock the thread if they decide I am out of line.

The catch is David, attack the post, not the poster, PM me or a MOD,
OH, but as you were previously a Moderator, i'm sure you knew that already.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1650731)   #65
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I DO NOT HAVE A STRONG STOMACH
I know that feeling. I watched the video and well lets just say them pies and homemade beef burger I had for afternoon smoko almost came up.

Last edited by Razor; 8 Jul 2006 at 09:57.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1650754)   #66
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Uncle, I am glad that you feel the way you about the incident in question and I'm sure most people would agree. However, one paragraph from your original post seemed to set the tone.

"Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause, as Ho Ho Ho he fenced the aforementioned vehicle, with a front wheel being pushed back to the firewall, and the Medical Car being almost written of."

You can easily see why I thought you seemd to take great pleasure in the incident. In fact, if you were to remove that paragraph from your original post, there would be nothing in it to offend anyone.

I guess this is symptomatic of an internet forum as distinct from a face to face conversation, where it is hard to read someone's true meanings without tone of voice, body language or facial expression.

Finally, it's nice that you think enough of me to expect better from my posts, because I have no idea who you are.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1650814)   #67
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
[mod] Ahem, guys, enough. I'm taking the original post as typical marshalling style banter (which I've been subject to having nearly bent a course car once - my excuse was I wasn't in it at the time! - and I still get ribbed about it several years later!) but the wording could have been a little kinder, as a result I can understand the following poster's remarks. Probably that post would have been ok in the marshals' forum, but a little out of place here.

I think you've both cleared up the point reasonably cordially, so move on please.[/mod]

Main thing is, the guy's unhurt apart from bent pride, same goes for the runner.

I suspect this has really run it's course in the absence of any solid information, so unless anyone argues against, I'll close the thread tomorrow.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1650906)   #68
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guys is there a video of this on google??
Old 9 Jul 2006, 02:35 (Ref:1651098)   #69
Alco
Rookie

Alco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
google for it folks

Last edited by marcus; 10 Jul 2006 at 22:19.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 05:36 (Ref:1651130)   #70
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Back to the topic at hand, Darwin.
And to near misses....

My eye in the sky, No 1 spy, just told me (over a few quiet frothies) that the Marshall allocated the task of driving the course car last weekendat Hidden Valley, took the FIV Medical Car out for some 'Hot Lap' on Friday late afternoon.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause, as Ho Ho Ho he fenced the aforementioned vehicle, with a front wheel being pushed back to the firewall, and the Medical Car being almost written of.

Now let me stress, it was not a VESA Chrysler or any VESA vehicle, but one of either the circuit's or the organisation providing the medical coverage's vehicles.

The unfortunate individual wasn't injured, (bloody lucky) and at this point in time, no word of recriminations or punishments.

Now i've just had another look at the tape of the telecast, and a blue Falcon marked with 'Course Car' was being used to chase the fiels on race starts, which is traditionally the role of an FIV (medical car), clearly the circuits own course car was slotted in at the last minute to replace the broken toy.

So.

Any comments on drivers of official vehicles, (careful, i've been know to pilot one on the odd occasion)

Can anyone confirm or deny, or add to anything further on the Darwin incident mentioned above.

My sauce is, as always premium quality, (White Crow) I just wish they had got this gem to me a bit sooner.......

Uncle, the info I was given last night was that it was one of Darwins finest boys in blue (a copper in plain lingo) driving it. Whether I was being fed a line to protect the guilty or not I don't know.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1651179)   #71
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Uncle, the info I was given last night was that it was one of Darwins finest boys in blue (a copper in plain lingo) driving it. Whether I was being fed a line to protect the guilty or not I don't know.
Nice work Sizzle, the thot plickens, as Ita would say.

I hadn't heard that angle, but hi-speed driver/medical car, it's plausible.

I'll ring CAMS & ask for a copy of the incident report, no even better I'll request it be faxed to me under the Freedom of Information Act
Old 9 Jul 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1651214)   #72
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who drives a wide and varied range of "official" vehicles on many varied motorsport courses (try driving an FIV in a rally in a hurry), its always bad whenever someone makes a mistake. The scrutiny all other course vehicle drivers are put under after an unfortunate incident makes it difficult. Not to mention the fact that you spend a lot of time telling people "it wasnt me"
One thing that is always in the back of my mind when i am driving is "dont stuff up" cos if you do, you know that your fellow officials will rib you about it for the rest of your time, i certainly know of some fiv drivers who are still living down incidents they did over four years ago
Old 9 Jul 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1651719)   #73
Aquarius
Racer

I think Robin was refering to a video of the marshall running across the track at Darwin, but I am sure Robin will clarify this.

Last edited by GTRMagic; 10 Jul 2006 at 23:21.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1651823)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i feel slightly ill now after watching that
Old 10 Jul 2006, 01:15 (Ref:1651827)   #75
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um, well, that certainly is graphic! I am kinda left a bit speechless after that...

Last edited by GTRMagic; 10 Jul 2006 at 23:21.