Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Aug 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1062416)   #51
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Point taken; but he only beat Sennas 65 poles, because he isnt around anymore of course. Well said to you all. Only wallies moaned when Senna dominated in the 80s. To see the Ferrari "fly" in real life is quite breathtaking, mind you Button threw the BAR sideways a few times round Monaco this year too, and that was with skill. Difference being the engineering quality and driver at Ferrari are better. Everyone else has to catch up.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1062422)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS

I'd say go and watch F1 and the living legend MS, so you can tell your grandkids you saw the best driver ever do his thing.

I don't need to watch Michael to be able to tell my grandkids I saw the best driver ever do his thing........

But fair enough. That's the oldest of chestnuts.......
Old 10 Aug 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1062622)   #53
Racergal
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Omagh
Racergal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the recording for speed sunday, and I agree that both the presenters, Matt and Angus, were not too keen on F1. But we found out the show has actually been axed and they are not filming another series of it. Probably would have helped if real *motor racing* fans were presenting it. The only person who brought life into that show was that Gareth guy- I say let him present in future cos at least he gets excited about motor-racing!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1062643)   #54
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Senna had Prost, Schumacher used to have Hakkinen, but now...
Old 11 Aug 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1062900)   #55
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...raikkonens car insnt good enough

Although another reason ferrari are so dominant is the continuity, McLaren, Williams and renault haven't really ever had a driver line up that didnt change since ferrari started dominating
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1062999)   #56
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Senna had Prost, Schumacher used to have Hakkinen, but now...
Now Schumacher has got McLarens, Williams's, Renaults and BARs all on the superior Michelin tyre for qualifying - the Ferrari is certainly the better package for the race, but there are eight quicker cars for qualifying at most races and he is still picking up poles. Added to which qualifying is not single lap and tactical as well, so I think Michael's form in qualifying this year is pretty impressive.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1063203)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes Glen. Schumacher really has his work cut out.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1063250)   #58
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Yes Glen. Schumacher really has his work cut out.
I'm making the distinction between qualifying and the race. Big difference. For you to suggest that what he is doing is just easy is utter nonsense - their race package is superb, but they have it much harder in qualifying and yet he still gets pole positions.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1063256)   #59
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he does have it in race no doubt ..... but really he is a master he could PROBIBILY beat most drivers in any cars ( we dont know this has he hasnt driven against everyone in every car) but he is damn quick, and does a good job, simple fact is he is doing THE job in the race, making it look easy, but everyone else needs to catch up for the race.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1063261)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know what you mean Glen. Calm down.

I would say that Schuey has it easy overall this year. Big deal. I think most would say that. Doesn't detract from the fact he's doing the best job this year does it?

Unless you're quite thin skinned of course......

It's a fair point about the fact the Michelin teams have a tyre advantage over the qualifying lap, but I don't think this is quite so pronounced. It's possibly negated by the chassis inferiorities/driver errors or inferiorities/tactical errors. So for Schumacher to take the amount of poles he has this year is not, I doubt, akin to climbing Everest.

Still quite impressive though.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1063270)   #61
Glen
Veteran

That IS calm, knowlesy! Watch out if I get agitated!

Not a thin skin - I don't care if Schumacher is liked or not... just needles me when F1 is run-down by calling it all sooo easy for MS when what he is doing is actually pretty exceptional and to be admired.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1063274)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It is easy because he makes it easy for himself.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1063285)   #63
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
This years championship is totally boring, but the races individually can be exciting (Monaco & Germany).
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1063286)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'd say that best describes it....
Old 12 Aug 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1063876)   #65
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the content of Speed Sunday was excellent apart from the bits where the presenters opened their mouths.

With regards to F1 being boring- IMO its not boring, its just too easy to predict whats going to happen.

Some of the cars are clearly far superior to others yet won't overtake rivals ahead on the circuit. Waiting for a pitstop is not what I call racing. The cynic in me says there are corporate benefits to pitstops such as the car is standing still & the sponsors logos are easy to read plus the "something might go wrong" factor creates an artificial reason to continue watching which is just plain manipulative and annoying rather than entertaining.

The British Touring Car Championship is much better IMO without pitstops-much more overtaking on the circuit. I realise F1 is a different animal, but do the decision makers in F1 even look at other race series for ideas to improve the show?
Old 12 Aug 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1063882)   #66
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just ban pit stops & have them run the race on 1 tank of fuel & 1 tyre for the race it would bring speeds down as weight is increased and tyres would be a harder compound, increase tyre size so there is more grip for the car, and KEEP THE V10s for god sake F1 is the only sport to use the really sports cars go for V8s or V12s, and other sports use V8s or turbos or both :P anyway you get where im going & f1 would be less boring.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1063890)   #67
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by tally-bally-ho
The British Touring Car Championship is much better IMO without pitstops-much more overtaking on the circuit. I realise F1 is a different animal, but do the decision makers in F1 even look at other race series for ideas to improve the show?
Where do you think the idea for success ballast for F1 came from? F1 bosses didn't want it though, or anything else that has been proposed.

It is not the FIA! The team owners decide - that's how it works.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1064198)   #68
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM is full of overtaking despite two mandatory pitstops per race.
But then again, it's much easier to make a close-contact overtake maneuver with a touring car, having bumpers and fenders. With open wheel car you need to be extra cautious not to be catapulted in the air.

-Jamie Hyneman