Toyota 23 31.51%
Honda 4 5.48%
Renault 21 28.77%
Williams 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 May 2008, 03:33 (Ref:2194132)   #51
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Over the winter it looked like Nico and Williams would be the best of the rest but its all been a bit fraught.
Red Bull started off badly but Mark Webber has done some sterling work in the last few.
Trulli was promising and has really put in a few strong drives and the Toyota chassis is far better than it was last year.
Honda is now also getting its act together so who will come out of best?
If Honda focus their resources at the root problems they will do well. Brawn has the ability to lead them there and ensure it happens.
RBR has the engineering staff and the will plus the money but is the depth of resource that a manufacturer has also there. That mat be a telling point by the end of the season.
Toyota as per Honda but is Gascoyne as able to that as well as Brawn can at Honda?
Renault? They have history and Alonso on their side so maybe they can. They also have very good engineering and design staff.
It's all quite close but I think RBR may prove to be the mid season champs, Honda the late season revelation that will build throughout the year and Toyota a consistent challenger with Glock increasingly comming to form over the latter half of the year.
Williams have the brilliance and the speed but the season is beginning to remind me of 2006 all over again....

I think Webber could prove to be the one individual outside the top three teams who scores the most points, depending on RBR's reliability.
The highest point scoring team could be Toyota...
Old 5 May 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2194431)   #52
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda have claimed that after Barcelona, they'll do one more major update (other than Monaco/Monza) and then divert 100% to 2009. If they follow that, together with how far back theyve started, i think we can count them out for 4th.

I think RBR still need to demonstrate they can play with the likes of Renault and Williams. At the end of last year when they had an upturn in performance, they were being flattered as their mid grid rivals had shifted focus entirely onto their 2008 cars whilst RBR kept developing with the knowledge whatever they came up with could be transfered straight to the RB4.
Old 5 May 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2194646)   #53
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
I think Webber could prove to be the one individual outside the top three teams who scores the most points, depending on RBR's reliability
Absolutely.
Old 6 May 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2194775)   #54
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, ok, thank FPV. If that is their plan, then, yes, 4th is improbable.

I was thinking in terms of if they kept a reasonable stab at 2008.
Old 6 May 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2194909)   #55
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
I still think it'll be whoever keeps the most attention to their 2008 campaign, at the risk of 2009. We may end up seeing after around the midpoint of the season, the current performance gap between the front runners and the midfield progressively expand from around 1s to over 2s by seasons end.

One of the teams might not be able to resist the temptation, and keep a small development program that locks them out with 7th-8th positions.
Old 11 May 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2199600)   #56
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
According to our poll results so far;

Toyota 20 33.33%
Williams 16 26.67%
Renault 15 25.00%
RBR - Renault 5 8.33%
Honda 4 6.67%

Hmm, not sure I can agree with results, or the rank of the votes. I think since Spain the 2 Renault powered cars have made the most advancement, with Alonso-Renault now best of the rest. If NP can pull his weight, 4th is in the bag for them.

As for Toyota, they seem to be missing something recently, while Williams young duo seems inconsistant at best. Nico can be seen racing for 6th one race, 16th the next.

I suspect RBR will upstage both Toyota & Williams with Webber taking 8th in the championship behind Alonso. Now that DC can finish races without crashing, RBR are looking good for 5th.
Old 12 May 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2199645)   #57
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex

As for Toyota, they seem to be missing something recently, while Williams young duo seems inconsistant at best. Nico can be seen racing for 6th one race, 16th the next.

Ahhh Wrex! The Master Of Understatement! Toyota has been "missing something" pretty much since they joined the show: race wins, podiums, fastest laps, points, speed, consistency - pretty much everything it takes to be successful...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 May 2008, 03:22 (Ref:2199684)   #58
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Ahhh Wrex! The Master Of Understatement! Toyota has been "missing something" pretty much since they joined the show: race wins, podiums, fastest laps, points, speed, consistency - pretty much everything it takes to be successful...

An interesting statement John. But I would take issue with it.

I looked back at the 2005 season and the USGP debacle of that year.

Ferrari scored 18 points at the six car 'USGP' that year. Without those points (and Toyota had to miss the race because of the Michelin trouble) Toyota would have finished third in the constructors championship and Ferrrari fourth...

The simplest way to deal with the results of that year is pull out the entire USGP points for all teams (as though the race never happened) and see what you get in both the WDC and the Constructors championship.....

I'm not making excuses for the Michelin shod teams but the debacle wasn't their fault in the main and taking out the US results does give a more balanced view of the rest of the season.
Old 12 May 2008, 04:00 (Ref:2199698)   #59
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
2005 was a good year for them, helped by Ferrari and Williams troubles and the rest of the teams being seperated by the new rules. They still produced a car nevertheless and couldve won with Ralf at Spa.
Old 12 May 2008, 04:49 (Ref:2199720)   #60
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
An interesting statement John. But I would take issue with it.

I looked back at the 2005 season and the USGP debacle of that year.

Ferrari scored 18 points at the six car 'USGP' that year. Without those points (and Toyota had to miss the race because of the Michelin trouble) Toyota would have finished third in the constructors championship and Ferrrari fourth...

The simplest way to deal with the results of that year is pull out the entire USGP points for all teams (as though the race never happened) and see what you get in both the WDC and the Constructors championship.....

I'm not making excuses for the Michelin shod teams but the debacle wasn't their fault in the main and taking out the US results does give a more balanced view of the rest of the season.
But that would rob Tiego Monteiro of a well-earned, hard fought podium!

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 May 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2200576)   #61
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
erm...Alonso/Renault...comfortably by the end of the year.
Old 12 May 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2200578)   #62
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Honda, mmm, if i could change, i would go for Renault.
Old 13 May 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2200675)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Now that DC can finish races without crashing, RBR are looking good for 5th.
Not with 2 9th's, a 12th and an 18th they won't
Old 13 May 2008, 07:54 (Ref:2200785)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DC must be very worried now,knowing that Danica Patrick is waiting in the wings.

It looks like it's going to be a very low scoring mid-field this season with seemingly only one driver from each of those teams able to do the business.

It'll be interesting to see what STR can do with the new RedBull car in Monaco.Honda are also said to be introducing some interesting new devices for that race.Let's hope it rains.
Old 13 May 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2200791)   #65
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott

Honda are also said to be introducing some interesting new devices for that race.Let's hope it rains.
Bigger dumbo ears. Theyre just gonna fly around the track.

Mick
Old 13 May 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2200828)   #66
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Without superior Michelin tyres at most of the other 17 races, Toyota wouldn't've been close to Ferrari in the first place. In any case, Toyota have failed to build on that season, not least due to having such an unambitious driver line-up until now.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2200876)   #67
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
My point exactly, Teretonga. I am not sure Toyota considers '05 a success over which we/they can wax nostalgic!

I can only imagine what Sir Frank could accomplish with whatever Toyota is spending - or for that matter, what SA could have done with 1/3 of the $$...

Toyota reminds me of someone who hits the lottery and buys the best of everything but who has no idea how to arrange the furniture.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 May 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2201152)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

Toyota reminds me of someone who hits the lottery and buys the best of everything but who has no idea how to arrange the furniture.
Maybe they should hire a couple of 'Feng Shui' boffins to sort it all out for them.
Old 13 May 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2201330)   #69
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That would be nice, at least they would be trying something...
Old 13 May 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2201590)   #70
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Lets face it, Toyota could have outspent Honda for Brawn. That was a huge opportunity lost for a serious step forward.
Old 14 May 2008, 05:11 (Ref:2201770)   #71
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
I think Toyota still believe they can win in F1 with their whole rule by commitee attitude. Brawn at Toyota at best wouldve probably been a senior technical director etc and not team principal as he is at Honda.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2224205)   #72
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Anyone care to change their vote?

01 Ferrari 73
02 BMW Sauber 70
03 McLaren-Mercedes 53
04 Red Bull-Renault 21
05 Toyota 17
06 Williams-Toyota 15
07 Renault 9
08 Honda 8
09 STR-Ferrari 7
10 Force India-Ferrari 0
Old 9 Jun 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2224258)   #73
Adam RR
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast, Australia
Adam RR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, I voted Redbull and DC just confirmed for me that it was the right choice

Good for him too!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 00:11 (Ref:2224307)   #74
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone care to change their vote?

01 Ferrari 73
02 BMW Sauber 70
03 McLaren-Mercedes 53
04 Red Bull-Renault 21
05 Toyota 17
06 Williams-Toyota 15
07 Renault 9
08 Honda 8
09 STR-Ferrari 7
10 Force India-Ferrari 0
I voted now...voted on Williams...I have a feeling they will be 4th at the end
Old 10 Jun 2008, 01:01 (Ref:2224321)   #75
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think RBR, Renault and Williams are so close it will be whoever can get a bit more from their No. 2.

Piquet looks like a lost cause at the moment, Nakajima doing a bit better but hardly likely to score big points - the last race with DC highlighted the situation where you need your "Plan B" to hold together.

After Qualifying 13th the only option for DC was to fill 'er up - and when the race came to him he was there to pick up a swag of points - Piquet and Nakajima weren't.

Webber, Alonso and Rosberg all still seem to be within a tenth or two and will probably keep fighting for "Plan A"

The Toyota still doesn't look as quick as those 3.