Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2431485)   #51
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul works with a lot of car launches and driving courses in the UK and Spain. I understand from a well known social networking site that he's in Spain for a few weeks. That's his bread and butter these days, racing is a bonus.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2431578)   #52
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan Morrison confirmed at Arena/Team Aon's 2nd car on btcc.net.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2431583)   #53
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something you could read at TcT two weeks ago
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2431587)   #54
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner View Post
Something you could read at TcT two weeks ago
Yeah but then it wasn't actually right!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2431624)   #55
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The actual timeline re: Morrison

18th March - reported at TcT.
19th March - reported by sceptic as not enough funding.
19th March - missing from official entry list at Media Day.

At this point the TcT article looks like a tabloid 'exclusive'.

2nd April - Morrison confirmed at official website.

My question - why such a long delay between TcT having the (now proven) news and AON announcing and entering the driver officially?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2431633)   #56
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably a sponsor getting cold feet prior to the media day but being persuaded now, or Alan Morrison finding another way to get the funding in place.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2431640)   #57
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have any of these predictions been backed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
I hear that there may be an addition to the entry list at Brands Hatch.
Quote:
I have spotted one entry you have that could be wrong
Quote:
Two names to be added nowhere to be seen on the list, Plus one driver listed that may not be around.
I don't mean to sound too critical but a lot of people can post an 'I've heard some news but I won't share it' and then claim any addition to the grid as the one they knew about.
Here's one now, I've heard that one of the drivers at Brands this weekend will have to miss a round later in the season.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2431648)   #58
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nick Leason was the addition. Martin Johnson was probabily one of the drivers not listed, it would help if those quotes were put in context.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2431728)   #59
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My isn't there a lot of ill feeling on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
Yeah but then it wasn't actually right!
Alfa Fan still doesn't like to be beaten to posting stories on the forums...

The bit I read was.. "Alan Morrison is expected to be announced as the driver of the second Team Aon Ford Focus". Nothing confirmed there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
My question - why such a long delay between TcT having the (now proven) news and AON announcing and entering the driver officially?
Again the story I read said.. "Earle commented: “It has taken Alan a while to get his deal sorted and that’s not surprising in these hard economic times."

Quote:
Have any of these predictions been backed up?
I didn't realise people had to back-up predictions?

What would you have to talk about if these comments weren't made?

Chill out guys!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2431751)   #60
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm getting the feeling I shouldn't have closed the Rumours thread.

Never mind, come Saturday we'll all have something interesting to talk about!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2431783)   #61
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The actual timeline re: Morrison

18th March - reported at TcT.
19th March - reported by sceptic as not enough funding.
19th March - missing from official entry list at Media Day.

At this point the TcT article looks like a tabloid 'exclusive'.

2nd April - Morrison confirmed at official website.

Alan didn't stop looking for sponsors just because he only had half the funding at media day.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2431796)   #62
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
I don't mean to be critical about posts, as long as they add something to the discussion.

If a name or team is mentioned then the discussion can be continued. A rumour or story with no marque/team/driver adds nothing to the discussion and to my mind just seems like points scoring.

Each quote I added previously was taken from a post that made no mention of the teams/drivers involved, and could purely have been guesswork or fiction.

If I've offended, it was not the intention. I just prefer threads used for discussion.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2431837)   #63
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
This is getting stupid.

I will not comment on the Morrison situation and this example does not relate to current events.

But, I've been involved in teams/deals whatever, with signed contracts, drivers, even cars at the premises, for it all to go belly up at the last minute, dispite contracts. That happens a lot. I do sponsorship proposals all the time for 'its a done deal' projects, that are never seen again.

That is the nature of Motorsport sponsorship. Thats life, deal with it.

What was concrete last week, might not be today. You need to understand that before complaining. I've worked out most of the snippets on here and there is/was/will be validity to them.

Dont be surprised if knowledgeable people dont bother posting in future, its not worth the hassle
End of rant!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2431863)   #64
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well said Andy. And that is during normal times, let alone when companies struggle to get access to cash for their daily operations.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2431865)   #65
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Well said Andy. And that is during normal times, let alone when companies struggle to get access to cash for their daily operations.
oh yeah, this isn't anything new.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2431883)   #66
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think (hope!) that most of us understand how sponsorship works in this sport, and know that nothing is certain until you see a car out on the track. And there are always going to be people on here with inside knowledge - that's not a problem.

I think the point that crmalcolm was making is that posts that pretty much say "I know something you don't!" and nothing else add nothing to the discussion - I tend to the view that if you know something, but can't say anything at all, then not saying anything is the best option. On the other hand, I certainly don't want the insiders to stop posting.

I could just do without the posts that seem to only be about, as already mentioned, scoring points for knowing something.

With that all said, and getting back to the topic Chuffed to bits to see the 1 series back, though it's a shame Rick can't be there driving too. Fingers crossed for future rounds. Mixed feelings about Plato - I don't like him myself, but there's no denying he adds something to the championship, so from that point of view I'm glad he's back, and hopefully he can sort out a longer term deal.* Fantastic to see Morrison back too. When it comes down to it, I basically can't wait till Saturday when they get out on track. We can all start talking about the racing again soon

*posted through gritted teeth
Old 2 Apr 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2431891)   #67
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
When it comes down to it, I basically can't wait till Saturday when they get out on track. We can all start talking about the racing again soon
I agree with that.

You should all treat the rumours posted here or elsewhere with the largest pinch of salt you can pinch.

And on that note, I don't want to log on in the morning to discover a page worth of posts debating who is right, what you think people can post and what they can't. Because they can post whatever they like as long as it's within the rules.

So behave. Right?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2432050)   #68
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Andy,
I agree with and understand what you've said there.
I appreciate that deals can be made or collapse right up to race day, and some of these last-minute occurences enhance the joy of following Motorsport.
The recent changes of situation with Plato/Morrison/Leason etc. have added to the spectacle of BTCC and only served to increase my excitement for Sunday.
While it is disappointing when drivers drop out, it is a shame but again adds to the story. I'm hoping to see O'Neill/Hughes et al. on the grid soon.

From your position, you obviously hear about certain developments before they can be discussed, and I do appreciate a bit of a nod and wink before the news breaks. In the past you have earnt my trust with your posts by being able to back them up with real evidence, please keep them coming.

As can be seen from the entry list, nearly all teams have gone through changes in the winter and I can't wait to see how everyone fares.

Again, I do apologise if people feel I've complained too strongly, I just prefer to use these threads to hear about and discuss things rather than to read people's brags.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2432053)   #69
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by pointing out that we had the info two weeks ago.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2432062)   #70
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
to TcT for bringing us another news story ahead of the drag curve, and backing up the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the late arrivals, including Morrison, get on having had less testing time.

If Plato gets near Neal and Gio, then it will be a great achievement given the limited time. Same goes for Morrison and Leason.
I'm also looking forward to seeing how new arrivals to a team match up to existing members.
The contests I'm particularly looking forward to are;
Jordan vs Gio/Neal
Adam vs Collard
Pinkney vs Shedden
Old 3 Apr 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2432083)   #71
andy_b
Veteran

Canada

BTCC Spotter Guide now online @ www.spotterguides.com
Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2432102)   #72
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top work as always Andy, well done
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2432135)   #73
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great work Andy, thanks
Old 3 Apr 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2432250)   #74
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Excellent Andy. Is that the first appearance of an Astra Coupe in a Spotters Guide?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2432309)   #75
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Excellent work Andy as always.

When are the cars first on track this weekend? I'm guessing you'll have a bit of a rush between the first turn of the wheels at Brands and your graphics going live on ITV?
Or will we see the blank liveries on Plato/Leason in the TV captions?