Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2473047)   #51
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Sheep" is one of my all-time favourites !

"That's the english way"*...

*From "Time"
Old 1 Jun 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2473048)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Just adding that the idea that an article in a website news made with "insiders" and no official statements is the answer to all questions is hilarious.
I merely stated that the article was "very interesting".It does not solve any problems or give an answer to the meaning of life.

It may not be the answer to all questions,but it does rather make sense.

Quote:
What an advantage it could be if the team in question is the first not to agree with the rules. But that's not surprising.
If you don't agree with the rules then you shouldn't enter the competition.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2473055)   #53
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I merely stated that the article was "very interesting".It does not solve any problems or give an answer to the meaning of life.

It may not be the answer to all questions,but it does rather make sense.
"Very interesting" has become cliche when posted with a link... I'm merely stating the obvious. Not that it makes sense.

Quote:
If you don't agree with the rules then you shouldn't enter the competition.
That's an order, a request, a wish or you're just saying like an wise man says to a dumb child ?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2473064)   #54
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gentlemen! Please calm down.

The 9 FOTA teams have not entered the 2010 championship - that is clear at least.

My bet is that Max will say nothing between now and 12th June when the entry list will be published without them on it.

After publication, Max will be asked to comment to the media and he will say, in a meek and mild manner, that the teams that didn't enter obviously didn't want to take part under the new rules and that was their choice to make. He will go on to say, as a kind of aside, that the entry list obviously isn't full and that the places that remain will be open, as laid down in the Sporting Code and at the discretion of the FIA, to any teams who decide to put in a late entry. He will finish with "Late entries will be accepted in the order that they are received. Thank you, that's all I have to say."

Of course the available places will be fewer than 9 at this stage as there will be several new entrants accepted plus Williams. There will be a mad rush, as the 'FOTA 9' will all become individuals again, and they will scramble over each other, every man (team) for himself to put their entries and cheques in the post.

The exceptions will be those who want 'out' at the end of 2009 anyway, and possibly Ferrari who will say to the other 8 "Oh, you know what? We forgot we were entered anyway".

The wise ones amongst the 8 will have posted their entries on the 11th June.....

But just in case, should someone come along with a really HUGE donation to the FIA safety fund, by way of a late entry fee supplement, March unexpectedly withdraw their entry. Maybe I am being just a touch too cynical with that last bit.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 02:59 (Ref:2473080)   #55
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Gentlemen! Please calm down.
Don't worry, I'm easy like a sunday morning.

Quote:
The 9 FOTA teams have not entered the 2010 championship - that is clear at least.

My bet is that Max will say nothing between now and 12th June when the entry list will be published without them on it.

After publication, Max will be asked to comment to the media and he will say, in a meek and mild manner, that the teams that didn't enter obviously didn't want to take part under the new rules and that was their choice to make. He will go on to say, as a kind of aside, that the entry list obviously isn't full and that the places that remain will be open, as laid down in the Sporting Code and at the discretion of the FIA, to any teams who decide to put in a late entry. He will finish with "Late entries will be accepted in the order that they are received. Thank you, that's all I have to say."

Of course the available places will be fewer than 9 at this stage as there will be several new entrants accepted plus Williams. There will be a mad rush, as the 'FOTA 9' will all become individuals again, and they will scramble over each other, every man (team) for himself to put their entries and cheques in the post.

The exceptions will be those who want 'out' at the end of 2009 anyway, and possibly Ferrari who will say to the other 8 "Oh, you know what? We forgot we were entered anyway".

The wise ones amongst the 8 will have posted their entries on the 11th June.....

But just in case, should someone come along with a really HUGE donation to the FIA safety fund, by way of a late entry fee supplement, March unexpectedly withdraw their entry. Maybe I am being just a touch too cynical with that last bit.
Like I said, there will be casualities and FOTA's fate is on the line. But I'm not guessing or speculating over anything. I'm around too long to be so naive like some people are. Above anything I just wish that something happens that Max would find himself out of business. I just hope, because that's the only thing I can do. All things come to an end, and I'm prepared to see F1 as I always knew, become just another regular series. It might satisfy the taste of many or the new generations to come or fit the general trend of the discardable society we live in. Maybe this way, he realises that he's just dispensable as any other human being, that would be a nice lesson of humbleness.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2473244)   #56
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Several teams have now submitted a 'valid' entry to take part in the 2010 FIA F1 World Championships.These teams (which apparently include Ferrari!) now have the law on their side.

It seems improbable that the FIA will be able to now alter those regulations because of legal issues with the teams that have already validly signed up to them in their entireity (two-tier system,budget cap etc).
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2473283)   #57
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So Ferrari vs Williams for the title next year - great, just like the good old days of 1997

At least Alonso will be happy
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2473288)   #58
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So Ferrari vs Williams for the title next year - great, just like the good old days of 1997
You forget that Ferrari will be running under the non-capped part of the regulations and so will be around three seconds per lap slower than all the other teams.

Quote:
At least Alonso will be happy
See above.

Oh! and Webber to Renault!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2473301)   #59
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why does everything have to be settled by June rather than November as in previous years?
Has it anything to do with the election for President of the FIA?
If all the main teams are dumoed from F1 for 2010 would Max survive the election.
If Max isn't around aftre October would F!A find a way out of the contractual mess that would be left in their lap?
Keep tuned.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2473306)   #60
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You forget that Ferrari will be running under the non-capped part of the regulations and so will be around three seconds per lap slower than all the other teams.
Well, they'll be 3 seconds slower than Williams, but the rest I'm not so sure

That is, if they have entered under the non-capped part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Why does everything have to be settled by June rather than November as in previous years?
If all the main teams are dumoed from F1 for 2010 would Max survive the election.
If Max isn't around aftre October would F!A find a way out of the contractual mess that would be left in their lap?
Keep tuned.
Max could decapitate kittens and still survive re-election
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2473307)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Keep tuned.
The reason for the new entry date is to allow the 'new' teams sufficient time to design and build their cars since 'customer' cars are no longer permitted.

Max can't go on forever,but right now he's having fun.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2473308)   #62
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Max could decapitate kittens and still survive re-election
'cos you'd never get to read about it in the papers, right?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2473311)   #63
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
People have done worse things than Max and they were still allowed to help run a country!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2473313)   #64
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
'cos you'd never get to read about it in the papers, right?
Well, Max has already been in the papers quite a lot over the last year so it wouldn't really make that much of a difference
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2473657)   #65
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There is an assumption here that the F1 series would be meaningless if the FOTA teams disappeared.
That may be correct but it may not be correct at all. When M. Schumacher retired it was the end of an era but it didn't impact F1 that much even though hre had dominated for several years and won an unprecedented number of titles.

The people posting here are mainly enthusiasts but the general public doesn't discrn that much and maybe doesn't really care.
It is possible half the present teams could go and more than 50% of the audience wouldn't know the difference.

That is also a gamble but it's one both side are relying on in different ways
Old 1 Jun 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2473719)   #66
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
There is an assumption here that the F1 series would be meaningless if the FOTA teams disappeared.
That may be correct but it may not be correct at all. When M. Schumacher retired it was the end of an era but it didn't impact F1 that much even though hre had dominated for several years and won an unprecedented number of titles.
Uhn... that was ONE driver and not 9 teams, and even if anyone sometime thought that TGF's retirement would cause a big impact to F1, he was definetely right ! F1 with him was boring to death, it was a huge relief when he announced his retirement and F1 is refreshing since then.

Quote:
The people posting here are mainly enthusiasts but the general public doesn't discrn that much and maybe doesn't really care.
It is possible half the present teams could go and more than 50% of the audience wouldn't know the difference.
The general public doesn't watch Formula One, they are not the ones who keep F1 as it is, but the fans are. I don't quite follow you in this assumption about the general public and 50%, but everyone I know that follows F1 know well the teams, the engines and the drivers... and pretty much in the same way they don't know a thing about GP2, A1GP or F3.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2473746)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

The general public doesn't watch Formula One, they are not the ones who keep F1 as it is, but the fans are.
Bernies viewing figures are way out then! And if the "fans" are the ones who "keep F1 as it is" then what the hell were they thinking!

Quote:
but everyone I know that follows F1 know well the teams, the engines and the drivers... and pretty much in the same way they don't know a thing about GP2, A1GP or F3.
So they don't know the difference then.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 01:59 (Ref:2473756)   #68
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Bernies viewing figures are way out then! And if the "fans" are the ones who "keep F1 as it is" then what the hell were they thinking!
Well, then you are telling me that in your country the "general public" watches F1, let's say they are from a different level from the rest, they watch it but they don't care a thing about them as long they are seeing a bunch cars going around a bend and the winner would be a country fellow.

I'm not sure about the last part of your phrase, but I guess it's in the same style of "very interesting".

Quote:
So they don't know the difference then.
That's ok, I don't expect you to have a nice discussion where we would really try to achieve more than funny catch phrases just to raise the postcount.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 06:59 (Ref:2473834)   #69
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The general public are probably even more likely to be confused and unenthused (Is that a word) by the disappearance of names to which they can relate.
They can all identify with BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari as car Manufacturers. Red Bull is also an identifiable big name brand.
Outside the sport who has hear of Williams, Brawn, Force India, March, Lola, USF1GP, Prodrive etc.
Without the Brand images F1 doesn't have a brand image.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2473852)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well, then you are telling me that in your country the "general public" watches F1, let's say they are from a different level from the rest, they watch it but they don't care a thing about them as long they are seeing a bunch cars going around a bend and the winner would be a country fellow.
That's pretty much it I'm afraid,just as long as it's called F1 (they can recognize that name at least) and there's the opportunity to wave a union jack for a couple of hours,and they've seen on the news that 'their' driver stands a better than average chance of winning then why should they give a toss whether the car is fitted with KERS or not or indeed should be any different at all to the other cars,just as long as they're 'fast'.

Quote:
That's ok, I don't expect you to have a nice discussion where we would really try to achieve more than funny catch phrases just to raise the postcount.
And there's another one.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2473855)   #71
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Outside the sport who has hear of Williams, Brawn, Force India, March, Lola, USF1GP, Prodrive etc.
Most people I know recognise the 'Ferrari' name more that any other,but they also usually have some derogatory remark to make about the name and then words and phrases such as 'cheats','spoilt brats','round and around in circles' and 'boring' enter into their vocabulary.

Yes,for most people I know the Ferrari name is associated with boredom.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2473864)   #72
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well, out of that list, I'd say a lot of people would've heard of Brawn, most people would've heard of Williams, they could related to USF1 because it's Ronseal-esque, Lola and March are reasonably well-known names and Prodrive is as well

The F1 brand itself is more important than anything else. How else did F1 survive with a grid full of the likes of specialist constructors even as recently as the mid 90s?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2473889)   #73
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree.. at least Williams, Lola and March tend to be better known. Especially since Lola has done sooo many other things

Likewise, I think names like Tyrrell, Brabham and Lotus would have done nicely aswell in that list.

Brawn and Force India are completely new. Time will tell if those will be names we are going to remember or not.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2473897)   #74
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Maybe a few people in the UK other than those with an interest in Motorsport would have heard of Williams and Brawn, but I would suggest that in most countries in the world that would not be the case.
Certainly outside motorsport circles I would suggest a vox pop in the streets of Sydney, Tokyo, Moscow, New Dehli, Chicago, Shanghai, Cairo, Bucharest etc Iwould suggest that Williams, Lola, March etc would get a very blank look. Sydney would certainly recognise Brabham, New Dehli may recognise Force India, and Chicago possibly USGP, but none are international brands.
Ferrari certainly are a brand, they make those red caps, T shirts and expensive watches don't they?
Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Toyota, can be seen driving on the streets of most places, Red Bull is a widely recognised brand with appeal to a significant market sector.
All those brands contribute to the recognition and high profile of the F1 brand. To seperated them from that brand is to risk the F1 brand loosing a major part of it's appeal to the Formula's casual viewing audience.
If that happens Max's budget cap won't be a problem. The formula will be flat out putting together enough cash to freight the cars around the tracks let alone pay superstar salaries or develop new cars.
And Marbot, I'd love to find a few people who find Ferrari boring. Arrogant, irritating, uncooperative, and sometimes just plain nasty, but boring just doesnt fit them!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2473925)   #75
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

And Marbot, I'd love to find a few people who find Ferrari boring. Arrogant, irritating, uncooperative, and sometimes just plain nasty, but boring just doesnt fit them!
In the context of owning a Ferrari they are probably not found to be boring (but then Porsches aren't boring either),but in the context of watching them repeatedly go around the same piece of tarmac on a Sunday afternoon then even the most dedicated Ferrari owners can (and do) find something better to do,and certainly when associated with TGF the word 'boring' was almost a metaphor for Ferrari and F1.

They certainly aren't be 'boring' at the moment though...far from it.And still no word from the FIA,but then does it need to respond to teams that haven't legally signed up for next season anyway ?
Closed Thread