Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Dec 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2599737)   #51
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jesus guys, when it turns purple its time to loosen the grip a little.

Rubbery figures are standard. You think 100,000 punters pay to see the AFL grand final?

I think not.

Lies, damn lies, and crowd figures.

Either way the Sydney race was a massive event, and the attendances were massive by Sydney standards. Who would have thought you could get as many people to one race as you get to an entire weekend of NRL all over Sydney?

Great coverage on SpeedTV to boot, GREAT for Sydney tourism. Government should be happy.

I think it was bloody good all round. Track, facilities, off-track entertainment.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2599828)   #52
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Better call clipsal500 organisers, the following 'roads' are no longer avaliable for use on their 'street' track

Bartels ROAD
Wakefield ROAD (but they can use 'wakefield street', 100 metres further up )
But what about Dequetteville TERRACE, and East TERRACE?

Clearly this is the end of Clipsal as we know it, and we need a new category of race circuits: Terrace circuits.

I'll get me coat.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2599833)   #53
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
But what about Dequetteville TERRACE, and East TERRACE?

Clearly this is the end of Clipsal as we know it, and we need a new category of race circuits: Terrace circuits.

I'll get me coat.
I thought about mentioning them, bloody hard to get a 'loop' out of Adelaide's 'streets' for a street track tho. And really, no-one like Terraces anyway

Also for the record, Dequettiville terrace is the worst name ever!
Old 15 Dec 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2599909)   #54
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Like i said, just because it is 'bathurst scenic 'road'', doesn't make it not a street circuit.

Can i drive on albert park? If so, street circuit. Or are 'street' circuits in your eyes only the ones with concrete lining the whole track with no runoff?
Clipsal could almost be called a permanent circuit then.
I can drive around the Nordschleife, does that make it a street circuit??
Old 15 Dec 2009, 04:26 (Ref:2599913)   #55
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I can drive around the Nordschleife, does that make it a street circuit??
So its a public road? If i'm a truck driver i can just go down there to make a delivery?
Old 15 Dec 2009, 04:41 (Ref:2599916)   #56
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its open to the public. You'd have a better chance lapping the Nurburgring in a truck than you would Bathurst too.

I'd term Bathurst a race track that they have let people live around.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 01:39 (Ref:2600506)   #57
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a key difference is that the roads for the Mt Panorama circuit were specifically built for racing, albeit cunningly disguised as a scenic drive on what was previously known as Bald Hill. Whereas Homebush was developed around existing roads. Adelaide of course is mostly street track plus part purpose-built. Albert Park as used in the 1950's was a street circuit, however the current layout was altered for the F1 track, so is a bit different. It does still have normal road cambers and linemarking, which much of the Bathurst circuit does not.

Mixer - I agree not all of the crowd at an AFL Grand Final pays for their tickets (the number allocated to clubs is considerable), however I don't think there is any doubt the crowd figure is ~100,000 excluding ground staff, teams and the like that McKay is saying are included in V8SC 'attendance' figures.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 02:08 (Ref:2600517)   #58
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My definitions:
Permanent circuit = private road solely intended for use for competitive, speed or testing and not avaialble to the general public as a right of way.
Temporary circuit = a road who's primary use is for the general public and which is closed for the purposes of competition.
Permanent circuits don't use roads, they use purpose built or converted tracks.

A road is something you would normally expect to be open to the general publix at all times. By definition, roads are managed by government departments or councils - tracks aren't.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2600674)   #59
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHO CARES??
Street, road, track, permanent, temporary, airport!!!!!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2600684)   #60
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Mixer - I agree not all of the crowd at an AFL Grand Final pays for their tickets (the number allocated to clubs is considerable), however I don't think there is any doubt the crowd figure is ~100,000 excluding ground staff, teams and the like that McKay is saying are included in V8SC 'attendance' figures.
Nor does the "author" of this piece of **** quote his source, so pardon my cynicism of his "facts".
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2600702)   #61
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was interested to read the letter to editor component of this weeks Auto Action. To my complete amazement (after reading the Gospel according to James.........Phelps) it appears that those in attendance at the Sydney 500 came back with a less than glowing report of the event.

One letter even dared to suggest that the V8SA 'announced' crowd did not reflect the 'reality' of their time at SOP. Other reports included poor viewing, lull in entertainment etc.

Did we want to report these fabrications to Media Watch Robert or can we put this down to the ARDC holding a working bee?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2600719)   #62
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I was interested to read the letter to editor component of this weeks Auto Action. To my complete amazement (after reading the Gospel according to James.........Phelps) it appears that those in attendance at the Sydney 500 came back with a less than glowing report of the event.

One letter even dared to suggest that the V8SA 'announced' crowd did not reflect the 'reality' of their time at SOP. Other reports included poor viewing, lull in entertainment etc.

Did we want to report these fabrications to Media Watch Robert or can we put this down to the ARDC holding a working bee?
So then based on V8 Supercars [so called] false gate figures the world stops turning tomorrow.

Tax is paid ...it will be spent in your area to improve your suburb for the good of your neighbours [I'm making this up obviously] so you should be thankful to Mr Cochrane that he put the race on.

A Win for you and a Win for V8 Supercars...

Given those facts you should spin this news up in a positive light...why not write a letter into Auto Auction saying how you support the Homebush race now that your tax dollars are at work for you.[/sarcasm]

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2600758)   #63
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, it seems appropriate for you, McDribble and your 3 or 4 mates.
Quote:
It’s about time you come clean on the cause of your mental illness
Quote:
if any one dares to question your negativity its attacking the poster…?
OK, here's the deal. These three quotes are all taken from the same post, with the last providing some irony considering the first two. I've removed the name of the poster simply because it could have been taken from the average post of a dozen regular posters and this isn't meant to pick on just one of them.

There is too much of this sort of thing going on and I for one am bored of it. It's spoiling the forum and it's clearly keeping people away. I've posted gentle hints, I've deleted posts, I am going to make a new year's resolution to start adding warns. I might not wait until New Year...

Feel free to use the warn button, but review your own posting behaviour at the same time. People in glass houses and all that.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2600930)   #64
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Either way the Sydney race was a massive event, and the attendances were massive by Sydney standards. Who would have thought you could get as many people to one race as you get to an entire weekend of NRL all over Sydney?

Great coverage on SpeedTV to boot, GREAT for Sydney tourism. Government should be happy.

I think it was bloody good all round. Track, facilities, off-track entertainment.
Which basically sums up the event for the bulk of the people who post on these forums, with the exception of a few Trolls.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2600980)   #65
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Which basically sums up the event for the bulk of the people who post on these forums, with the exception of a few Trolls.
There we go again. Exactly what Woolley was talking about. Someone with a different opinion to your own isn't a 'troll'. It's someone with a different opinion.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2601012)   #66
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
was it really that great? honestly? if so i didnt see it and those ive spoken to who fell asleep on the lounge due to the sheer excitement of it all didn't see it either.

call me a troll, i don't care, my ego isn't attached to inane ramblings on an anon forum but i get the distinct feeling that the money could have been much better spent elsewhere.

the track wasn't great, wow, there were crashes. if i want to see crashes ill go to a smash up derby or hang out on the M4 in Monday morning rush hour.

"its a track with consequences" . hmm no, Bathurst and Phillip Island are tracks with consequences, that was a narrow, over promoted, poorly designed, billy cart track with poor surfacing. bet the teams loved the repair bills.

im not against street circuits, i think Adelaide is a great event and a great track, well thought out and planned most likely due to its F1 heritage. that track was no Adelaide.

so, im not sure, but how much did that event cost to run? must have been a fair bit given the erecting of stands, removal of trees, modifications of roads, Insurance, eternal NSW govt bureaucracy charges etc. how much of that would have been better spent on Eastern Creek, or a replacement for Oran Park? you know, something that benefits everyone not just the elite few. Maybe a little more promotion from V8SCA for the regular rounds would see increased attendances?

im not a fan, i watched it and really wasn't overjoyed by it. im sure some of you loved it, from the sounds of it here one person in particular wants to pretty much marry it, but i digress. from my armchair I thought it was poor, verging on craptacular. im sure you disagree.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2601058)   #67
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
was it really that great? honestly? if so i didnt see it and those ive spoken to who fell asleep on the lounge due to the sheer excitement of it all didn't see it either.

call me a troll, i don't care, my ego isn't attached to inane ramblings on an anon forum but i get the distinct feeling that the money could have been much better spent elsewhere.

the track wasn't great, wow, there were crashes. if i want to see crashes ill go to a smash up derby or hang out on the M4 in Monday morning rush hour.

"its a track with consequences" . hmm no, Bathurst and Phillip Island are tracks with consequences, that was a narrow, over promoted, poorly designed, billy cart track with poor surfacing. bet the teams loved the repair bills.

im not against street circuits, i think Adelaide is a great event and a great track, well thought out and planned most likely due to its F1 heritage. that track was no Adelaide.

so, im not sure, but how much did that event cost to run? must have been a fair bit given the erecting of stands, removal of trees, modifications of roads, Insurance, eternal NSW govt bureaucracy charges etc. how much of that would have been better spent on Eastern Creek, or a replacement for Oran Park? you know, something that benefits everyone not just the elite few. Maybe a little more promotion from V8SCA for the regular rounds would see increased attendances?

im not a fan, i watched it and really wasn't overjoyed by it. im sure some of you loved it, from the sounds of it here one person in particular wants to pretty much marry it, but i digress. from my armchair I thought it was poor, verging on craptacular. im sure you disagree.
What you said.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2601071)   #68
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I liked it. Best track that they race on? Definitely not but I liked it. To me, tight, temporary tracks like this one provide a good dose of variety and counterpoint to the more open, fast tracks like Phillip Island.

When I lived in Europe, I loved Spa & Silverstone for the devastating speeds but also Monaco coz you could get up really close and see real attitude on the cars - that is why I enjoy this type of track as much as the "traditional" tracks.

New event, well promoted, reasonable crowd and reasonable TV audience - good start in my view and then we'll see how it develops.

There are going to be different views in the media in the same way that there are different views on a forum like this. I think that both James Phelps and Peter McKay are complete floggers and each deserve as much (little) credibility as each other.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:51 (Ref:2601122)   #69
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I liked it. Best track that they race on? Definitely not but I liked it. To me, tight, temporary tracks like this one provide a good dose of variety and counterpoint to the more open, fast tracks like Phillip Island.

When I lived in Europe, I loved Spa & Silverstone for the devastating speeds but also Monaco coz you could get up really close and see real attitude on the cars - that is why I enjoy this type of track as much as the "traditional" tracks.

New event, well promoted, reasonable crowd and reasonable TV audience - good start in my view and then we'll see how it develops.
When I was in Europe 4 yrs ago (have been more recently) I walked around the Monaco street circuit. For a first try, the Sydney race was remarkably successful, more power to it. To get a reasonable number of fans to a sporting event in Sydney is an achievement in itself.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2601182)   #70
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the naughty chair again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
OK, here's the deal. These three quotes are all taken from the same post, with the last providing some irony considering the first two. I've removed the name of the poster simply because it could have been taken from the average post of a dozen regular posters and this isn't meant to pick on just one of them.
Thanks Woolley, but to avoid any benefit of doubt, they are all from my post. It is also noted that it appears ok to allow posters to have nothing positive to say about the category, the events, the organizers, the venues, or the decisions made by those who run the sport or participate in it. And all on forum threads that are supposed to be about it, "Good and Bad" not just the witch hunt crap.

Quote:
There is too much of this sort of thing going on and I for one am bored of it. It's spoiling the forum and it's clearly keeping people away.

Agreed, so an unbiased view or commentary from moderators should also be a given (and before you reach for your stick I am refering to comment or interjection by all mods on any topic not you in particular).

If those that don’t wish to be negative about every detail of the sport wish to participate, apparently we have to read the dribble of those that do, and not react, or expect mutual moderation??

I won’t try and pretend that I did not attack the poster or his motives, but as you say enough is enough. Surely healthy discussion involves people who can consider and offer both the good and the bad, not just a slanderathon.

Woolley, although you are a mod you are also a poster so I will assume that I can offer these thoughts in reply to yours as a poster as well.

Maybe I should start my own minority, it appears to be a wining formula...
Old 17 Dec 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2601193)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
lol at wooley

i hope those rules apply to yourself also
Old 17 Dec 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2601553)   #72
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Mount Panorama is a street circuit. Ok, name the streets that make up the Mount Panorama circuit.
Pit Straight (extension of Hinton Rd), Mountain Straight, Mount Panorama Scenic Rd, Brocks Skin and Conrod Straight (extension of Panorama Avenue) - all gazetted road names
Old 18 Dec 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2602106)   #73
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Thanks Woolley, but to avoid any benefit of doubt, they are all from my post.
Please accept my assurance that I posted the way I did because I really didn't want to appear to be picking on anybody. You just happened to provide suitable material at a recent time. I could have done the same with a number of other posters at other times. This was emphatically not a go at you in particuler, but at the general level of posting which is currently endemic.

Quote:
It is also noted that it appears ok to allow posters to have nothing positive to say about the category, the events, the organizers, the venues, or the decisions made by those who run the sport or participate in it.
As long as it is reasoned, yes it is OK. You might spot that I have nothing positive to say about Bernie Ecclestone, but I only say so where relevant, and I accept that some poeple may love him. His mother, probably.

Quote:
Agreed, so an unbiased view or commentary from moderators should also be a given (and before you reach for your stick I am refering to comment or interjection by all mods on any topic not you in particular).
Mods are allowed opinions in their posts, but not to allow them to influence how posts are edited, removed or actioned.

Quote:
Woolley, although you are a mod you are also a poster so I will assume that I can offer these thoughts in reply to yours as a poster as well.
No problem, your points were well made and not personally motivated. Exactly the sort of thing I'd like to promote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i hope those rules apply to yourself also
Of course. I've even been known to defend you!

Anyway, back to the thread, please.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2602169)   #74
V8Bobby
Rookie

Australia
V8Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post

...from your armchair. If you were there, it was a great event. Homebush was a great location to hold a race with more off track entertainment than I have seen at nearly any other event, with the exception of Adelaide. Yes, the track was crap and boring, with accidents being the only thing that livened up the follow the leader race that was going on. But who cares? Some of you just don't get that V8Supercars is an entertainment category first and foremost. They are there to put on a show, which is not just the racing, but also the off track entertainment. 160 thousand people went to this event exposing V8Supercars to a whole new audience. If Eastern Creek was so good, they would have got those crowds. But they didn't, couldn't and they have just been shown how to stage an event.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2602181)   #75
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Have to agree with the gist of that /\ post, armchair has nothing on being at the track.

But, my experiences at clipsal, never ever get GA, gold grandstand or don't bother (so in summary, Grandstand > Armchair > GA )