Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2764881)   #51
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Racing is immature. They're all kids. "Kids isn't it? Doing a good job and then they..". Ah no, Webber didn't say that. He acknowledged it was a racing incident.

I do see your point, stripedcat, but I don't think maturity is the word.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2765092)   #52
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Yes, how dare he race? How stupid in today's game of automotive chess.
I agree it is great that Lewis races, particularly in nowadays with the difficulty of overtaking in F1, but two DNFs in a row is not good. Lewis does seem to have a major weakness at the start of races for going for a gap that isn't there.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2765096)   #53
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He is driving a bit as though it were all about the race rather than the championship but sometimes that's good to see.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2765166)   #54
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton got crashed, Webber wasn't punished. Lewis' attitude? "It was a racing incident", no complaints to Webber or the stewards. Yes, Hamilton is maturing.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2765214)   #55
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's really a separate issue to Hamilton's maturity; if Webber is punished does Hamilton become more mature or less as a direct result?

What Hamilton controls is his thoughts and actions, and he spoke before the race about the importance of finishing the race, and not being able to afford another DNF.

His primary objective to keep the pressure on in the championship was to have a points finish.

He did not do that.

Hamilton gambled that he could make the pass, and have more points then he had if he did not overtake Webber. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

As a driver he would have known that there was a chance the pass might not come off, and in the event of this, where would his car go, or the opponents car? This is no room for error on a street circuit.

So just like at Spa where he stayed out an extra lap in the rain and pushed to hard on the wrong tyres and went off the track for what would normally have been into the barrier and a DNF, he made a decision he did not need to make for only marginally greater reward.

Three races in a row now, he has made fundamental errors which have resulted in two DNFs, but realistically three DNFs; as we can include Spa also, as nine time out of ten he would have been into the wall.

I know he is fast and can overtake, and a great driver, but he has thrown this championship challenge away on his thoughts and actions alone.

In contrast, Alonso had no business being in the same discussion as the WDC, which should have been limited to Webber, Vettel and Hamilton, but he has shown all of his speed, experience, feistyness, and maturity.

I don't think Hamilton has matured much, and still seem as petulant, and arrogant as ever, and he is not backing it up on the track.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2765255)   #56
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I agree that Hamilton ought to have been extra-careful when overtaking someone who has repeatedly shown they have zero regard for the safety or integrity of other drivers, yes.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2765269)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was very unlucky for Hamilton.

It is pointless finishing fourth, he has to beat those around him.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2765383)   #58
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton was a bit lame suggesting he didn't know where Webber was, where did he expect him to be ? Lewis only need to give Mark, who was already up the kerb, a couple more feet at the apex and he would have got the job done. Still full marks to Lewis for trying, overtaking is what we want to see isn't it.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2765389)   #59
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dunno, the mirrors on an F1 car are more or less useless, so he would have been hard pushed ot see for certain that Webber was still inside him. Whether he should have expected Webber still to be there and given that extra foot or so of room is another question, and probably one of experience.

The fact Lewis was still prepared to take the opportunity, knowing there must be a risk and with the last race still at the back of his mind, I think shows a level of maturity in itself - knowing that one mistake shouldn't deter him from having a go in such a tight WDC battle where it looks like every point and every position will be vital.

When he watches it back, he'll know he could have given Webber that extra foot or so on the apex and still held the place - but he couldn't have known that at the time with what he could see in the car.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2765395)   #60
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I feel Lewis was pretty hard done-by. He left enough room at the apex in my opinion, and wouldn't have expected the championship leader to keep his nose in there like that. It was Webber's front to Lewis's rear. Webber's fault. In Monza, Lewis did the same at the start and was quite rightly derided for it.

But the point has also been raised elsewhere, the Mclarens are seemingly made of china. The Ferrari's and Red Bulls are built like tanks!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2765399)   #61
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour has it that if you look inside the Mclaren chassis you can see Josiah Spode's signature
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2765521)   #62
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I feel Lewis was pretty hard done-by. He left enough room at the apex in my opinion, and wouldn't have expected the championship leader to keep his nose in there like that. It was Webber's front to Lewis's rear. Webber's fault. In Monza, Lewis did the same at the start and was quite rightly derided for it.
Agree.

Quote:
the Mclarens are seemingly made of china
Or in China. :P

(Wow, I passed the 1000th post and didn't notice!)
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2765537)   #63
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...It was Webber's front to Lewis's rear. Webber's fault. ...
It wasnt Webbers front into Hamiltons rear, it was Webbers side into Hamiltons side
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2765552)   #64
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
It wasnt Webbers front into Hamiltons rear, it was Webbers side into Hamiltons side
Absolutely! Webber left his braking as late as he could and still be in control at the corner, that's part of his job description, he is a racing driver. Once having done that he arrived under control at the Apex and made the corner with a very tight line left hand front wheel right up on the kerb, he was totally committed and could not physically do any better than this. He could have left his braking too late or misjudged it and locked a wheel in which case he would have sailed past the Apex and wiped them both out but he didn't he was inch perfect and kept his car as tight to the inside as he possibly could. Hamilton had to make an instant judgement as to the line to take through the corner and he wrongly believed he was fully passed Webber and could close the door, if he hadn't made this mistake he would surely have been through either on the exit or at the following corner where he had the better line. Neither driver really to blame but the biggest mistake was Hamilton's.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2765553)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
'That' photo looks like a photo of Hamilton not giving Webber enough room. No doubt other photos will show Webber punting Hamilton off the circuit. No ones fault, but did it ever need to happen?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2765558)   #66
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
I don't think Hamilton has matured much, and still seem as petulant, and arrogant as ever, and he is not backing it up on the track.
Quote:
Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
Quote:
Contemptuous in speech or behavior.
Quote:
irritable, impatient, or sullen in a peevish or capricious way
Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petulant

Hmm, the only one of these you could argue befitted Hamilton in Italy and Singapore was 'impatient'. I don't think 'petulant' is a fair way to describe him.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2765560)   #67
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did seem a bit petulant when he threw his steering wheel out of the car after retiring, altho one could argue that being ill tempered after ending up 21 points behind the championship leader was a reasonable emotion
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2765573)   #68
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or he realised he made a mistake in assuming other F1 cars can vanish into thin air, and has possibly thrown himself out of the title race for the second race weekend in a row.

Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2765575)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I look forward to Suzuka...and that final chicane.

Will he? Won't he? Did he need to?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2765578)   #70
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
He did seem a bit petulant when he threw his steering wheel out of the car after retiring, altho one could argue that being ill tempered after ending up 21 points behind the championship leader was a reasonable emotion
I would definitely argue that being ill-tempered at that time was a reasonable emotion. Petulance it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Or he realised he made a mistake in assuming other F1 cars can vanish into thin air, and has possibly thrown himself out of the title race for the second race weekend in a row.

Indeed he under-estimated where Webber's car would be and how it cannot vanish in that situation. If I were to apportion responsibility with an arbitrary figure, I would say it was 80-20 Hamilton's fault, but the onboard from Hamilton's car shows how it was sort of a racing accident, not completely ridiculous. He left Webber room, but clearly not enough, still turning in too tight.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2765649)   #71
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Absolutely! Webber left his braking as late as he could...
was Webber having overheating problems with his brakes like his teammate was? late braking would explain why he was in a spot where Hammy didn't think he would be in.

edit: and go a long way in explaining this as a racing incident.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2765652)   #72
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...... not that Webbers brakes would have been functioning at 100% as he bounced aross the kerbs
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2765669)   #73
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
I agree that Hamilton ought to have been extra-careful when overtaking someone who has repeatedly shown they have zero regard for the safety or integrity of other drivers, yes.
This is completely out of order.

"Zero regard for the safety or integrity of other drivers."

Do you really think this? For such a statement you really need to provide some evidence to support it.

If you don't show how this is the case, then it just seems you are trying to pick a fight.

I would prefer to see you withdraw such a statement.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2765670)   #74
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
BMW_F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am tired of seeing drivers assuming the entire racetrack is theirs when taking a turn. There is been many many cases in the past where two drivers go side by side for several turns and the only reason they are able to do that is because they forget about the ideal racing line and simply race the car next to them and no the track.. Good racers should know this and accept taking other lines (wider in this case) to make room for the driver who is inside otherwise they would collide every time. It looks like the racing skill set in F1 is deteriorating if Lewis is what we can consider to be the cream of the crop .. Does anyone here remembers the Montoya/Kimi racing battle in 02, or Button vs Alonso in 04 where they raced each other side by side for almost two laps.. ? or even Massa vs Kubica 3 years ago..
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2765688)   #75
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Couldn't agree with you more.