Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4080156)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Now I DVR everything. I may watch it live, or slightly delayed. Either way, it's a morning activity that gives me the rest of my day to do something else.

This was the sound that would really wake me up on Sunday morning.

https://youtu.be/qgiBkydMW8k

Richard
Im the same .... I have it auto-linked on my Foxtel box to record every session. I used to do the same back in the VCR days, albeit only for races, and in fact only last year when I moved house did I declutter and throw out all my old F1 recordings on (many dozens of) VCR tapes. I dont even own a VCR now. But I still watch every race live(yes I woke up at 4:30am on Monday morning to watch the Austin preamble and race live.
However, showing my age, I clicked Richard's link and was expecting to hear the Chain by Fleetwood Mac.... that was always my signal it was F1 time back in the day..

For other old farts: https://youtu.be/JDG2m5hN1vo
Old 26 Oct 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4080171)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Although I have just seen a clip of the grid walk with Brundle. Very funny!
it really was!

he is so out of place with these things it has to be an intentional comedic choice to have this short older man running around and sweating like crazy asking people who he doesnt really know or care to know inane questions.

to borrow from a show that Ben Stiller's dad was on...

Old 26 Oct 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4080175)   #53
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't see the Martin Brundle grid walk at Austin. It's a few years since I saw him on a grid walk but I used to hate it when he was brown-nosing some non-entity sleb instead of talking to some of the drivers, team managers, engineers and mechanics that were all around him. Sounds like nothing much has changed.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4080177)   #54
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume this is what people are talking about: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/br...-snub/6711907/
It seems to support my case for getting rid of these worthless people from the grid. We don't need them.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4080181)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I presume this is what people are talking about: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/br...-snub/6711907/
It seems to support my case for getting rid of these worthless people from the grid. We don't need them.

I saw that and at the time I thought Brundle handled the situation well, particularly when one bodyguard told him he ‘couldn’t do that’. He's got a point, they should learn some manners and 'respect on our patch'.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4080183)   #56
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I saw that and at the time I thought Brundle handled the situation well, particularly when one bodyguard told him he ‘couldn’t do that’. He's got a point, they should learn some manners and 'respect on our patch'.

They dont seem to respect that they are invited to act in the role of supporting the main event. It seems some feel entitled enough to believe it is all about them.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 16:25 (Ref:4080185)   #57
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey folks, don't forget how "edgy" RBR like to be! They don't want stuffy old drivers on the grid, they want STARS and their MINDERS and their SPONSOR PARTNERS and their lawyers and their corporate PR people and...

That's not really that edgy, is it?
Old 26 Oct 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4080186)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Im the same .... I have it auto-linked on my Foxtel box to record every session. I used to do the same back in the VCR days, albeit only for races, and in fact only last year when I moved house did I declutter and throw out all my old F1 recordings on (many dozens of) VCR tapes. I dont even own a VCR now. But I still watch every race live(yes I woke up at 4:30am on Monday morning to watch the Austin preamble and race live.
However, showing my age, I clicked Richard's link and was expecting to hear the Chain by Fleetwood Mac.... that was always my signal it was F1 time back in the day..

For other old farts: https://youtu.be/JDG2m5hN1vo
I think the chain version seems to resonate with most people. For me, it is the guitar riff one that triggers the most nostalgia. Also, as a US viewer, I wonder if back in the late 80's and 90's if we were seeing the BBC "Chain" intros or if maybe we were seeing something that was put in for local broadcast? Via Speedvision/Speedchannel/SpeedTV, ESPN, ABC or whoever was showing F1 to US viewers back then.

Anyhow, I found this which shows various incarnations of the intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypRVgyJrH4

Richard
Old 26 Oct 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4080196)   #59
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They dont seem to respect that they are invited to act in the role of supporting the main event. It seems some feel entitled enough to believe it is all about them.
Just to be clear that the "they" Brundle referred to is entourages and bodyguards, not celebrities:

“Bodyguards visiting the grid for the first time don’t bother me, everyone’s got a job to do, but they could maybe learn some manners and respect on our patch.”

Autosport carried this quote in the article but their headline fudges who he was referring to and their tweets wrongly say he was referring to celebs. Moral: don't fall for clickbait.

Megan Thee Stallion was actually perfectly civil to him and whatever one's view of celebs on the grid and whether or not her music is to your taste, she is a genuine star. If you're not familiar with her unique style, go to Youtube and take a look at some of her freestyle raps. Just don't do so with children nearby, it's absolutely X-rated .
Old 26 Oct 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4080206)   #60
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And remember, a GREAT MANY of American celebrities are there to sell something recently announced not cause they give 2 rips about the race. Most would open a small shop faster than Richard Hammond if it would get them to mention the new album, project, movie, Popeyes Sauce ( Megan Thee Stallion, couldn't tell you who she was at all), etc
Old 26 Oct 2021, 21:19 (Ref:4080212)   #61
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Possibly, though you don’t know what basis they’ve agreed to attend on, or what promises have been made to them, nor what they are being paid to be there.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 06:46 (Ref:4080237)   #62
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think the chain version seems to resonate with most people. For me, it is the guitar riff one that triggers the most nostalgia. Also, as a US viewer, I wonder if back in the late 80's and 90's if we were seeing the BBC "Chain" intros or if maybe we were seeing something that was put in for local broadcast? Via Speedvision/Speedchannel/SpeedTV, ESPN, ABC or whoever was showing F1 to US viewers back then.

Anyhow, I found this which shows various incarnations of the intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypRVgyJrH4

Richard
Thanks for the link Richard, some great nostalgia there. Unfortunately I had to stop watching as the audio was about 10 seconds behind the visual content when I watched it which I found to be very distracting! (Is there a way to re-sync this on youtube? it bugs the hell out of me at times!)
Old 27 Oct 2021, 08:20 (Ref:4080239)   #63
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I would prefer it if Brundle just ignored the celbs altogther. I was not sure who the lady in question was, and don't know why Brundle asked her to perform a wrap? The whole exchange was bizarre and cringy from beginning to end. But hey, its a minute out of the whole weekend.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 08:43 (Ref:4080242)   #64
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In other threads (particularly 'How to Fix') there are regular comments about attracting future fans to the sport, and observations that many come to the sport as a result of activities / profiles off-track.

Surely celebrity culture (including modern music artists) are part of that?
Old 27 Oct 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4080248)   #65
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Brundle’s grid walks have been cringe for years. Frankly I think it’s a credit to the various people he’s interrupted and shoved mics in the faces of that no-one has punched him. Pretty much everyone treats him with more courtesy than I would, including Megan Thee Stallion, who was perfectly polite to him - it was her bodyguards who interjected.

Still, at least Brundle knows who she is - a rapper well-known (other than on this forum!) for her ferocious freestyle raps. Brundle was playing with fire asking for her to freestyle live on air since her work is jaw-droppingly explicit .
Old 27 Oct 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4080254)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Brundle’s grid walks have been cringe for years. Frankly I think it’s a credit to the various people he’s interrupted and shoved mics in the faces of that no-one has punched him. Pretty much everyone treats him with more courtesy than I would, including Megan Thee Stallion, who was perfectly polite to him - it was her bodyguards who interjected.

Still, at least Brundle knows who she is - a rapper well-known (other than on this forum!) for her ferocious freestyle raps. Brundle was playing with fire asking for her to freestyle live on air since her work is jaw-droppingly explicit .

She swears a lot?
Old 27 Oct 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4080255)   #67
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It kinda says it all that this thread has more posts about celebrity culture than the actual racing...
Old 27 Oct 2021, 11:29 (Ref:4080256)   #68
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
She swears a lot?
Honestly, you have to hear for yourself. Just google Mehan Thee Stallion freestyle.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4080260)   #69
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Celebrities are the most useless people to interview, zoom in on etc...

If I want to see Lewis Hamilton I go to a race.
If I want to see Serena Williams I go to a tennis court.

If I watch a race, I have no interest in seeing or hearing Serena Williams.
If I am at a tennis court, I have no interest in seeing or hearing Lewis Hamilton.

If Hamilton is at the tennis court because he's a fan of tennis or of Serena in particular: no problem, but at that moment he's just as (un)important as every other fan.
If Serena is a fan of motorracing and shows up at the track: same story.

Replace Serena/tennis with every other celebrity and their occupation.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 11:58 (Ref:4080262)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Depends what kind of celebrity. If they are famous for achieving something than that's something. But if they are famous for the sake of it, then it's probably someone you don't want to know

Of course it's nice to sports people at other sporting events, but that's not why I watch it. We watch our sport for the people involved. But it is interesting to see that sports people don't limit their interest to their own sport. I have no problem with them being interviewed. And sometimes their presence adds to the event. After all it's better than the aforementioned 'famous for the sake of being famous' crowd

I don't really know much about Serena outside her tennis tbh, but I do know she must have some interest in F1 as she's been to plenty of races before, which is fair enough. And there are plenty of other celebs who have that interest in F1 too, as there are plenty of others who have been enough times.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4080270)   #71
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Celebrities are the most useless people to interview, zoom in on etc...

If I want to see Lewis Hamilton I go to a race.
If I want to see Serena Williams I go to a tennis court.

If I watch a race, I have no interest in seeing or hearing Serena Williams.
If I am at a tennis court, I have no interest in seeing or hearing Lewis Hamilton.

If Hamilton is at the tennis court because he's a fan of tennis or of Serena in particular: no problem, but at that moment he's just as (un)important as every other fan.
If Serena is a fan of motorracing and shows up at the track: same story.

Replace Serena/tennis with every other celebrity and their occupation.
It's all part of wider 'marketing'.

If I want to sell you a watch, do you think I would feature endorsement and product placement from Lewis Hamilton or Hans Ulrich Scholpp?
Old 27 Oct 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4080272)   #72
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
It kinda says it all that this thread has more posts about celebrity culture than the actual racing...
Hot take!
The racing’s done and I believe fully understood. And it was just a funny moment.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4080273)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's all part of wider 'marketing'.

If I want to sell you a watch, do you think I would feature endorsement and product placement from Lewis Hamilton or Hans Ulrich Scholpp?

That's quite different. Having a celebrity endorsing a product is one thing but having a celebrity attending an international sporting event is another.
Old 27 Oct 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4080276)   #74
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
That's quite different. Having a celebrity endorsing a product is one thing but having a celebrity attending an international sporting event is another.
I'm not so certain they are entirely different. For me, seeing a celebrity attend an international sporting event is an endorsement of the product. In this case, the product is F1.

As mentioned previously, some of it depends on the reason for the person attending the event.
If they are there for their own self promotion, then it is F1 being used as a publicity platform.
If they are there for their interest in the sport, then F1 might treat them as an endorsement opportunity.
If they are there as an invited guest, then they are clearly being used as a marketing tool for the product that is F1.

It must be remembered that, despite what many way wish to be the case, F1 is a product that is there to be marketed and sold. In (the majority of?) places F1 is behind a paywall, yet attracts many more fans than most other forms of motorsport. Part of that is because they are buying the product that is F1, which goes far beyond simply what happens on the track. F1 also has to market itself to people who may have little other interest in 'pure' motorsport - and that is why celebrity attendance is part of the overall package that F1 offers.

And for the Red Bull haters - blame them for MTS being on the grid:

Saddle up �� Great to have @theestallion and @CashApp in the garage for the #USGP CashAppSpeedLessons — Red Bull Racing Honda (@redbullracing)
Old 27 Oct 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4080313)   #75
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

Have they?

You are clearly overestimating common knowledge and underestimating basic courtesy.

MB's grid walk is what the producers want and ask him to do! The cringeworthy aspects are purely individual opinion! MB has a satirical style that is appreciated by most and appears to be well received by his targets. It's only 'superstars' (I include some drivers in this) that don't appreciate or welcome the opportunity for a few soundbites.

It's not Brundle's fault that he has to attempt to ingratiate himself with so called celebs who have nothing to do with the sport other than having been invited (or paid!) to attend at the behest of a team or sponsor.