Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Sep 2022, 22:11 (Ref:4124879)   #51
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Did anyone else think the Tsunoda incident was a bit dodgy, in terms of potentially being like Crashgate. I am obviously not going to label it as such with no evidence but think it is perhaps weird enough to be worth investigating.
Don't suspect a conspiracy until you have eliminated incompetence.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 22:16 (Ref:4124881)   #52
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The catalogue of Ferrari cock-ups just keeps on growing. At this rate they'll be on a second volume by the end of the year.

Getting a strategy call wrong is sort-of excusable when you're having to second-guess the strategy decisions of all the cars around you. Only bringing out 3 tyres for a tyre change is a hanging offence. And an unsafe release is really not much less, though plenty of other teams have done it at one time or another.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 23:50 (Ref:4124890)   #53
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That might be correct.

However - it was speculated on the BBC coverage that when he first slowed down, he might have loosened his harness thinking he was retiring the car. Then when he was back in the pits, his harness needed tightening again - but was not related to the issue. Beitske Visser said that she didn't see how a loose harness could be mistaken for a loose wheel by the driver.

From the BBC coverage:

'"I thought there was an issue, so I came back again," said Alpha Tauri man. "We fitted a different set of tyres and after that pit stop, we saw the issue in the data, so we stopped."

The Japanese driver added: "The tyre was not the issue in the end. Seatbelt was fine. We just re-tightened it."'
Button said pretty much the same thing on the Sky coverage of the race. I'm paraphrasing but Button said something along the lines that Tsunoda would have loosened the harness in the expectation that he was retiring the car, and then the team tightened the harness to send him back out again - only for him to retire the car a few corners later.

For mine, the Bottas retirement at the end of the main straight had more influence on the outcome of the race than the Tsunoda retirement. While I admire Hamilton and his record in the sport, surely he had to realise that, in the context of this season where Mercedes are nowhere near Red Bull, Mercedes would let the drivers race and if George thought it was best for his own personal race outcome to switch to softs, Mercedes weren't going to block him from doing so to act as a rear gunner for Lewis. And I daresay that George made the right choice. The medium tyres were not the right tyre to be on at the end of the race and George probably wouldn't have finished on the podium had he not switched to soft tyres under the safety car.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 06:54 (Ref:4124921)   #54
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton also got royally screwed by Vettel and the Aston Martin team before all the Tsunoda and Bottas stuff. He lost more than 4s when Aston Martin failed to instruct Vetted to let Hamilton and Perez pass while still in the pit exit and then took way too long to let them by.

Mercedes were really making good use of the tire treatment of their car with their strategy. Hat's off to Russel though for having his thinking cap on again. It's the teams job mainly, but good of him to not leave it to them completely.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 07:18 (Ref:4124923)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Makes perfect sense and better than my speculation.

Richard
It seems that the BBC speculation was accurate:

"AlphaTauri driver Yuki Tsunoda has been reprimanded for driving his car without having his seatbelts fully fastened ahead of his unusual retirement from the Dutch Grand Prix. Tsunoda stopped on track on lap 45 of the race after believing a rear wheel was loose following his second pit stop. He started to undo his seatbelt to get out of the car but was then instructed to return to the pits by AlphaTauri. On his return to the pit lane, his mechanics fitted new tyres and tightened his belts before sending him back on track. At that point, an issue with the car's differential was spotted and Tsunoda was told to stop again.

The stewards issued Tsunoda with a non-racing reprimand for driving his car in an unsafe condition.

"After a pit stop of car 22 [Tsunoda], the driver stopped the car due to the fact that he felt a wheel being not properly fitted, the investigation by the Stewards led to the conclusion, that in fact there was a problem with the differential," an FIA stewards statement said. "Therefore the car was not in an unsafe condition when released from its pit stop position.

"However, during the hearing the driver admitted, that after stopping on track he was ready to abandon the car and started to loosen the safety belt, without unlocking it.

"After that he travelled back to the pits where the mechanics re-fastened the belts. It is not possible, to determine exactly to which degree the seatbelt had been loosened by the driver."
Old 5 Sep 2022, 07:25 (Ref:4124924)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not a good image to photoshop by ESPN -
Old 5 Sep 2022, 07:59 (Ref:4124928)   #57
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a merc fan it has been great to see them race towards the front on merit. However even without the Safety Car or Hamilton change tyres I still think they would have finished 2 and 3 on pace, Ver in that Red Bull is too fast at the moment

However I am starting to think that on race pace the Merc is faster than the Ferraris and Perez . What they lack is one lap pace to qualify up and top speed to overtake easily on straights. Ham lost a lot of time behind Sainz at the beginning. Still good progress but for a win luck needs to be involved at this point

Also sort of ominous that Ver can mess up Friday FPs and then dominate the race. This feels like a season where the confidence is so high he can do no wrong ala Vettel 2011, Schumi 95, Senna 91 etc
Old 5 Sep 2022, 08:08 (Ref:4124929)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yet another Max win, but at least we had some decent racing in this one. Mercedes certainly look ready to win a race on merit again. They are probably more likely to win than Ferrari atm.

Sainz really had a messy race. Really messed up that pitstop with that missing wheel. Todt and Brawn would never let of happened. Oh wait....

Really strange how Alpha Tauri let Tsunoda go back out despite having that problem. What were they thinking.

Still it was a good race and now we move onto Monza
Old 5 Sep 2022, 09:56 (Ref:4124945)   #59
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yet another Max win, but at least we had some decent racing in this one. Mercedes certainly look ready to win a race on merit again. They are probably more likely to win than Ferrari atm.

Sainz really had a messy race. Really messed up that pitstop with that missing wheel. Todt and Brawn would never let of happened. Oh wait....

Really strange how Alpha Tauri let Tsunoda go back out despite having that problem. What were they thinking.

Still it was a good race and now we move onto Monza
they let him back out because on the data it showed no problem, only after leaving the pits Yuki came on the radio that there might be something wrong with the dif and immediately he was told to stop the car as it showed on the data that something indeed was wrong. before the pitstop there were no signs!
Old 5 Sep 2022, 11:07 (Ref:4124949)   #60
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
They were thinking the car was fine. That’s rather obvious.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 11:36 (Ref:4124953)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really they should have listened to their driver who knew what was going on
Old 5 Sep 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4124964)   #62
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really can't decide it this race was a wash due to the interruptions, or fun for the chaos of it.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 13:12 (Ref:4124965)   #63
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first takeaway was that it looks like 4th in the constructors championship is all but gone now for McLaren. DR looks like he has given up. Some dirt on the track during quali, sure, but the showing on Sunday was just embarrassing. They could probably not get a worse result just putting their reserve driver in the seat... wait a second...

Well. *ahem*
Old 5 Sep 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4124967)   #64
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Really they should have listened to their driver who knew what was going on
And what did he tell them in his usual chaotic excitement? (Something they could see wasn’t correct.)
Old 5 Sep 2022, 14:42 (Ref:4124992)   #65
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I note that Vettel was given a 5-second penalty and a point on his licence for failing to move over under blues for Hamilton and Perez......

Timing of the VSC and SC obviously ruined Hamilton's race strategy, and I doubt the team could have done much to reclaim the situation. I thought he erred in going early at the restart, although it probably only delayed Verstappen's pass for a lap or so.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 14:48 (Ref:4124995)   #66
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It also turns out that Hamilton had set a switch incorrectly for the full SC restart which left his PU unable to deliver all the power, hence Verstappen's ability to simply stroll (no pun intended) past him before getting to Tarzan.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 14:56 (Ref:4124996)   #67
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
I didn't think it was such a bad behaviour from Vettel when I saw it in the race, him coming out with cold tires and all. But, in a replay it was amazing how blind he acted!
Old 5 Sep 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4124997)   #68
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It also turns out that Hamilton had set a switch incorrectly for the full SC restart which left his PU unable to deliver all the power, hence Verstappen's ability to simply stroll (no pun intended) past him before getting to Tarzan.
Bit of an elementary mistake for a 7.5x world champion.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4124998)   #69
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Yeah, I heard that as well. That felt almost Ferrari level of wrong.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4124999)   #70
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
My first takeaway was that it looks like 4th in the constructors championship is all but gone now for McLaren. DR looks like he has given up. Some dirt on the track during quali, sure, but the showing on Sunday was just embarrassing. They could probably not get a worse result just putting their reserve driver in the seat... wait a second...

Well. *ahem*
I think that was probably Dan's worst performance to date. A bit hard to tell as we didn't see him on the box, but he seemed to make no progress whatsoever while his team-mate was fighting it out at the from of Division 2. That's the final nail in the coffin. I can't imagine any other team taking a chance on him now.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4125007)   #71
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I really can't decide it this race was a wash due to the interruptions, or fun for the chaos of it.
For me, this somewhat speaks as to why endurance racing can be so good. It is a team effort to operate over a long period of time. Pick any two laps of a race and on average most teams are doing a good job. Drivers are driving, pit crew is ready, etc. But extend that time out, then you have more opportunity for things to go wrong. Someone (be it a driver, mechanic, strategist, etc.) makes a mistake. So it if it is a true team sport, then that drama and chaos is all part of it. I personally enjoy it all. The driving, the technology and the good and bad of the inevitable drama and chaos.

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2022, 15:39 (Ref:4125008)   #72
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I think that was probably Dan's worst performance to date. A bit hard to tell as we didn't see him on the box, but he seemed to make no progress whatsoever while his team-mate was fighting it out at the from of Division 2. That's the final nail in the coffin. I can't imagine any other team taking a chance on him now.
He is a nice guy and has put in some great drives. But he is currently doing himself no favors at the worst possible time and and is creating a narrative of being beyond his expiration date.

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2022, 15:59 (Ref:4125016)   #73
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, he really looked even more out of sorts than usual. He’s always been a favourite of mine, so it’s painful to see Danny struggle so much this year. I hope he continues in F1 though, as I don’t want to see him go out with a whimper

Anyway it was nice to see Russell get his first ‘proper’ 2nd place
Old 5 Sep 2022, 16:13 (Ref:4125021)   #74
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
For me, this somewhat speaks as to why endurance racing can be so good. It is a team effort to operate over a long period of time. Pick any two laps of a race and on average most teams are doing a good job. Drivers are driving, pit crew is ready, etc. But extend that time out, then you have more opportunity for things to go wrong. Someone (be it a driver, mechanic, strategist, etc.) makes a mistake. So it if it is a true team sport, then that drama and chaos is all part of it. I personally enjoy it all. The driving, the technology and the good and bad of the inevitable drama and chaos.

Richard

Yeah, in endurance racing I can enjoy it, mostly because it's an ebb and flow. In a short F1 race it just feels like a small thing ruin the race.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 16:14 (Ref:4125022)   #75
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

I just saw Ted's Notebook about McLaren, and I feel for Danny. Like him, let's go to Monza and think happy thoughts.