Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:23 (Ref:896874)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
It's panic stations at McLaren. It'll be a real shame if they can't put this right.
They will put it right - they always do.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:27 (Ref:896878)   #52
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Dave Richards was wondering about the inconsitancy too, however in an ITV interview he put it down to a balance problem.

He and Button (also on ITV) mentioned that they didn't fully understand the tyres - Button saying they'd not done a race distance on the tyres( ).
Yeah I dont get that?? I mean race distance is only like 20laps (3 stopper) and pushing it 30laps and then you hava done the race distance of that tyre? Surely they did that?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:37 (Ref:896887)   #53
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the result an enjoyable race I feel. The Ferrari's were clearly very quick but it would have been the same last year had it not rained so there's no real need to panic just yet.

The McLarens are in trouble, they could we be the Williams of last year though and come good in a few races time.

Montoya looked combative all afternoon and that was nice to see, it kept the race interesting. He made an error at the start, but he got his head down and dug himself out of his own mess until the pitstops intervened. Having passed Ralf earlier in the race he deserved 4th place and lost out big time in the pitstops. Ralf chose to circulate as usual.

Button looked very impressive, as did Alonso. It would have been nice to see how close Montoya could have run FA had he not made the mistake at the start, I think we missed the chance of seeing a good scrap there.

Overall, and despite the result, I feel this has set up the season very nicely. Ferrari looked leagues ahead yes, but the track and conditions suited them perfectly. Alonso and Button look genuinely fast and we have the old Montoya back, looking far more hungry and racey than he did at the end of last season. If McLaren can get up to speed then you can hopefully add Kimi to the mix us well. I not worried and am already looking forward to Malaysia.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:40 (Ref:896894)   #54
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that was slightly dissapointing given the build up, but nevertheless, not the end of the world.

The gap to Ferrari is exaggerated I feel by a perfect day for them......the temperatures were ideal for their tyres, their main challenger went off at turn one and got stuck in traffic all day, on a Ferrari track etc, etc....

They could have lapped everyone rather worryingly......

Can Williams and Renault close the gap? Well, think to last year.......Montoya and Alonso took dominant wins but were pegged back at Monza by ferrari immediately. It could all change like that, and Malaysia should suit Michelin down to the ground.

It is a big gap to peg back however....

I don't want to talk about McLaren. Embarrassing to put it politely.....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:06 (Ref:896924)   #55
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WHat in hells name was thaT??? Ferrari 1-2... ho hum.. bore bore bore.... lets hope Malaysia is better
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:08 (Ref:896929)   #56
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue
Yes. Alliance. I meant BS favors Ferrari, giving special treatment to them. In the BS f1 project, they have a devision where 10 -20 engineers work espcially for Ferrai, pretty much ignoring other BS teams. It's simply not fair.
With all due respect blue, if you are going to speak from that end of your body you will have to turn around.

What a load or

Do they favour Ferrari? Well DER!!! Of course they do, its their best team and they put most of their resorces behind them. Should they plow equal money into Minardi? If the answer is yes, let your wife take care of the finances from now on.

Do you really think Michellin put equal resources into Williams and Jaguar?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:10 (Ref:896931)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having said that though, the race behind the Ferraris was pretty good. So I didn't lose interest at all.

The thing that bugs the most is the new rules.......why not stick to last years rules, they were very successful. And the engine rule is horrible....if all we see every race is 20 cars driving to the line in first gear, then I will be slightly upset frankly....

As I say though, things will get better.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:12 (Ref:896933)   #58
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber wasn't special today? Maybe. But if he was something average, alot of other drivers need to buck up.

From what I saw, Webber had qualified 6th in one of the heaviest fuelled cars, managed to maintain 8th after he was slow off the line due to a little wheelspin (and that weight handicap), and then managed to keep in touch with the Williams of Montoya and a slightly damaged Trulli, Possibly the second and third best cars out there.
In about the 5th or 6th best car. (Only the Toyotas, Jordans, Minardis and Saubers looked clearly worse, while the Macs seemed to be on different strategy.)

Webber posted quicker racing laps on his second set of tyres than on his first within laps of coming out of the pits with heavy fuel on, indicating the previous tyres had been out of sorts.

So nothing spectacular, but he was doing a damn good job in the Jag.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:13 (Ref:896934)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He looked pretty solid to me.....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:21 (Ref:896941)   #60
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber was good today...

Massa was his erratic self and Fisi didnt look quick at all.....

JPM and RS solid if not spectacular....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:25 (Ref:896948)   #61
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa's usual erratic self with small offs and a spin still had him ahead of Fisichella until he retired.

Make of that what you will....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:37 (Ref:896959)   #62
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
i can see... no ones mentioning Alonso... But WHAT A STAR we have.... almost 1.5 secs a lap faster than Trulli... and he kept it together... WHAT A START.... solid race....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:39 (Ref:896962)   #63
Kicking-back
Veteran

Alonso did a very good job.

On "Michelin days" he'll win a few races this year.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:45 (Ref:896963)   #64
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli is supposed to have his car damaged after the first corner...that's the official reason for the poor performance.

I agree that today's conditions had perhaps favoured Ferrari/BS more. I have little doubt that there would come races where it suits Michelins runners more and we'd see Michelins dominate..hopefully BS plugs the gap too in hot conditions.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:51 (Ref:896972)   #65
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice looking lapchart

Old 7 Mar 2004, 13:06 (Ref:896988)   #66
DivineF1
Rookie

Cyprus
Nicosia, Cyprus
DivineF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookie Christian Klien did rather well don't you think? He overtook Panis and stayed out of trouble. Finishing 11th was a good result for him.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 13:38 (Ref:897029)   #67
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All credit to ferrari once again they have produced an outstanding car. Ok one race down 17 to go is there any cause for concern i think there is. While watching the coverage on ITV Martin Bdundle said something during the race which i think really sums the whole thing up he said towards the end of the race that the both ferrari,s have really reduced there pace quite alot he then laughed and said that they where still quicker than the rest of the field. The problem we have here is ferrari have done such a fantastic job with there car that they will be so far ahead that they will have ne need to get involed in racing they can do there own thing its just like two are three sprints pending on how many stops the race requires.But i think there is an even bigger cause for concern not to far away and thats the PRESS they are going to slate this big time
Old 7 Mar 2004, 13:38 (Ref:897030)   #68
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great job by Ferrari. A real pity no one could match them, but that is their fault.

And Michael Schumacher joins Lex Davison as the only drivers to win the Australian Grand Prix 4 times.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 13:51 (Ref:897044)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
And Michael Schumacher joins Lex Davison as the only drivers to win the Australian Grand Prix 4 times.
Another record falls to Michael.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:897056)   #70
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Takuma Sato Position: 9th
�??It was quite a busy race. The start was good but then I was squeezed into the first corner and made contact with the Renault, damaging my nosecone. The team asked me if there was any problem but as it was the first lap and I had no reference for commenting on the car balance. At the first pitstop though, we found some damage to the nose and we changed it at the second stop. Immediately the car felt much better and I was able to consistently lap a second quicker than in the first stint, so it had clearly upset the car. The car felt good throughout the second and third stints but then after the third stop, the gurney started to lift from the rear wing and it was flapping around for the last few laps, upsetting the airflow quite a bit. I�??m a little bit disappointed with ninth to be honest, but I�??m pleased we got both cars to the finish in the first race. The reliability of all the teams has been quite surprising but everyone has done a lot of work in testing over the winter. Generally, a good start to the year for the team but I�??m sure we can do better in Malaysia.�?�
Considering both cars were damaged both drivers did well. Trulli's pace was very disappointing when compared to his teammate and Sato only seemed to be good at around the mid point of the race.

Contrary to what some here had said its not a lack of power that was BAR's biggest problem, it was tires as I said. They could set fast times but not consistent times. Their fast laps dont reflect their pace because if they had pushed harder they would have torn the tires up even more. BAR may be in for a hard time with the Michelins. At least they dont have to wait for Williams's, Renaults or anyones approval to run the tires they feel they need.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:10 (Ref:897061)   #71
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I complained about the tire situation at Ferrari for two years. Ferrari fans feel its perfectly normal and others think is rediculous. Its just a little strange that no other BS team could even compete. Oh well thats life...
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the only Bridgestone team that was able to compete, chose to change tyres about two years ago, and started to use the same tyres as Williams ...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:19 (Ref:897068)   #72
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Ferrari has done a decent job today.
Too early to decide whether or not they will be dominant this year, though ...

We don't know how the Williams cars would have done, if Ralf wouldn't have made a mistake in qualifying, and if Montoya wouldn't have made a mistake at the first corner.
I think both had a solid performance today.

McLaren clearly has got a problem at this moment.
But I would suppose thay are trying to solve that problem.
And I would expect that they are perfectly capable of solving it.

Renault showed today that both drivers are competitive. They are capable of holding their first lap positions against (almost) any competitor.
And even without launch control they can make very goog starts.

Not quite certain about BAR yet.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:897073)   #73
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The replays clearly show Sato booting Trulli up the arse at the first corner which lets him off the hook maybe.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:41 (Ref:897088)   #74
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great start for Michael. Kimi's comments pre-season about problems with the McLaren didn't seem exaggerated on that performance.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:37 (Ref:897990)   #75
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Another record falls to Michael.
Well almost, he needs another one to soley hold the most AGP wins.