Old 23 May 2004, 15:11 (Ref:980053)   #51
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I'm quite sure you were, because Michael was all over Trulli's pace at that point, and his lap times were just getting better and better.

We all had that feeling, that if there was anyone that could come from behind to win at Monaco, it was Michael.

The guy is simply the best...
Actually at that point, I think Ferrari had blown it by not pitting under the safety car. I don't think he had the pace to get 25 odd seconds down the road in about 10 - 15 laps.

Last edited by Rick; 23 May 2004 at 15:14.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:11 (Ref:980054)   #52
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't cheer as I wanted to see Trulli beat MS at the checkered.
Button did mention in the press conference that the tunnel is slippery at low speeds, at speed though not a problem as the downforce sticks you to the road. MS got caught out, locked it up and got punted by Montoya. Mistakes on both their parts and unfortunate for all.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 May 2004, 15:12 (Ref:980056)   #53
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I'm quite sure you were, because Michael was all over Trulli's pace at that point, and his lap times were just getting better and better.

We all had that feeling, that if there was anyone that could come from behind to win at Monaco, it was Michael.

The guy is simply the best...
Eh?

Trulli had stopped and could go to the end of the race, and TGF needed to make another pitstop pretty soon, taking about 30 seconds, and you think he could have won? I doubt it... :confused:
Old 23 May 2004, 15:15 (Ref:980060)   #54
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny how i keep hearing "MS should do that in the dark".

The incident occur somewhere in the middle of the tunnel, not at the start where cars just entered. And the point at which the incident start is also roughly the start of where the tunnel's curve angle takes a slightly tightening line.

So to say MS does it in the dark and hence it's his fault, do you guys think drivers drive through the tunnel blind?

The visibility is affected by the sudden change in lighting conditions no doubt, but while it affects the initial part of the tunnel, the tunnel in itself is well lit. So it's not as if MS entered the tunnel and slowed down out of the blue.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:17 (Ref:980063)   #55
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
i don;t think it was a racing incident ... because it wasn;t racing at the moment ..

Exactly.

Under the SC it isn't race conditions so can't be classed as a racing incident.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 23 May 2004, 15:17 (Ref:980064)   #56
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
You aren't making any sense Gt_R...
Old 23 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:980065)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no-one else expected him to slam on the anchors at that point!
Old 23 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:980066)   #58
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Winning for MS would be a tall order, considering that Ferrari didn't pull MS in for the pits when safety car is out, but from his position, a podium position is definite. So it's 6-8 points at least lost...but i doubt MS would have won. So i hope nothing is taken away from Trulli's great win.

Last edited by Gt_R; 23 May 2004 at 15:20.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:19 (Ref:980067)   #59
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Monster,

I agree with your assessment. Renault took an excellent decision to invite Trulli for the pits as the safety car came out on track. Even if MS had not crashed out and remained in the race there was little chance of him finishing first or second. I do believe Button would've beaten him as well.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:21 (Ref:980068)   #60
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya made a mistake. Michael made a mistake. All's done.

Michael doesn't usually make mistakes unless pressured, and here he was, as he'd just realised no doubt that he'd just given 25 seconds or so to Trulli - and was probably too busy planning his strategy and what exactly he had to do to win, in about 40 seconds before the safety car was about to leave him.

First on his mind was his brakes, so he hit the pedal - but not in the tunnel Mikey!

I hope there is no action. It's a mistake to learn from.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:21 (Ref:980069)   #61
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Yes but unlike on the road, the lead driver has a duty not to bring undue risk to the cars behind by erratic or unpredictable braking, Micheal has done this many times and its about time he got caught out.
I actually cheered when he went into the wall
Amen!
Old 23 May 2004, 15:22 (Ref:980070)   #62
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really believe Trulli was going to win regardless of Schumacher. Well actually if Schumacher got close to trulli towards the end of the race then he would of proberbly of taken him out and cruised home to victory. Schumacher made a bad decision, you can speculate all you want but Ross Brawn has stated the facts, MS was warming his brakes and bunching the pack up which is totally within the rules execpt it was a case of wrong place and wrong time and montoya couldn't really do much about it. Micheal should stop acting like a star and except that he made an error and let it lie.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:24 (Ref:980073)   #63
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS was at fault simple as that. He stood on his breaks in fact you get see the rubber he left down on the track. There should be a new rule brought out here to prevent this from happening again.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:26 (Ref:980075)   #64
[Shadowking]
Rookie

[Shadowking] should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Winning for MS would be a tall order, considering that Ferrari didn't pull MS in for the pits when safety car is out, but from his position, a podium position is definite. So it's 6-8 points at least lost...but i doubt MS would have won. So i hope nothing is taken away from Trulli's great win.
Even 8 would be hard to get i guess.
Button had also been in the pits under SC.

I don't think he could have taken 2nd. 3rd spot was probably his.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:29 (Ref:980079)   #65
Gt_R
Veteran

That's why i said 6 to 8..

But honestly, i'm not too depressed because last time i check, MS is still leading by a healthy 18 points, so i'm not going to start pulling out my hair
Old 23 May 2004, 15:36 (Ref:980083)   #66
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately appeared to be Schumacher's fault as for some reason he suddenly broke & left JPM nowhere to go although with still a pit stop to be made i think he was only racing for third in any case.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:43 (Ref:980094)   #67
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Now, if someone would just give TGF a little 'push' in the first corner tomorrow...
Well, it wasn't the first corner but it's close enough!
Old 23 May 2004, 15:54 (Ref:980115)   #68
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rules are very clear that when following the Safety Car, you must maintain a constant speed. Slamming on the anchors in the tunnel is not maintaining a constant speed.

Schumachers fault.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:57 (Ref:980119)   #69
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Yes, i recall the Monza incident too, and that the general consensus after THAT incident was that MS was within his role as a lead driver to bunch the field up, Button being caught out due to inexperience, and drivers behind, being informed that the safety car is coming in, would be prepared for such moves rather than try charging into the car ahead.
I think it's also worth pointing out that Michael publicly apologised to Jenson for his braking on that straight at Monza in 2000 causing Jenson to spin off.

Reading through some of the comments in this thread, there is no way that Michael braked tested Juan Pablo, after all, why do that to a lapped car, there is also no way that it was JPM's fault. Michael made a mistake, it happens to everyone once in a while and Juan Pablo had nowhere to go, thats why he aimed down the gap beside Michaels car, not ramming the back of Michael as the dullard and Ross Brawn suggested.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:27 (Ref:980150)   #70
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is the dullard?
Old 23 May 2004, 16:30 (Ref:980153)   #71
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James Allen.....the worlds most irritating commentator.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:40 (Ref:980167)   #72
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought so.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:42 (Ref:980175)   #73
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Michael came back to the pits i think he was raging at the fact of why ferrari didnt pull him in for his tyres and fuel while the SC was out and not the silly episode in the tunnel. I think he knew there was no way he was going to win the race with trulli and button already pitted and the fact of a recording six straight wins up for grabs added to his pretty bad mood

Last edited by pole2pole; 23 May 2004 at 16:43.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:58 (Ref:980187)   #74
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funniest thing here was the arrogant rant of Brawny the Clown, as usual on these kind of situations.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 23 May 2004, 17:22 (Ref:980206)   #75
Gt_R
Veteran

Nah..the funniest thing is that Head jumping to Juan's defense with a "despite what...MIGHT have said, Juan's not a dirty driver"..

I've looked at a few top sites, and read NOTHING to that extent from MS and Brawn....haha...Head's getting paranoid.

Anyway, both drivers are cleared by stewards...and hopefully, this would go abit to calm Juan down of future attempts to accuse FIA/stewards of being biased.

Nobody did this intentionally so little reason to read too much into it but mere miscommunication and a dose of carelessness.

Last edited by Gt_R; 23 May 2004 at 17:25.