Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jul 2002, 04:11 (Ref:327470)   #51
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There you go, KMC. That is exactly what I was talking about.

Besides, I think you can make the ETCC a global series without ever leaving Europe. They have this thing called television now and you can show the events around the world.

KM
Old 5 Jul 2002, 06:20 (Ref:327487)   #52
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxSport
Besides, I think you can make the ETCC a global series without ever leaving Europe. They have this thing called television now and you can show the events around the world.
Yeah, for the most part, I see your point. While you can't reach everyone by stopping at every city in the world, sometimes it takes a "personal" up close and personal experience in order to create a fan for life.

Since you've must have attended some CART or Nascar races in person, you have to say that watching a race strictly on TV is not the same as being there live? That's the reason why I suggest a WTCC series. At least, we can always dream.

But I think the ultimate touring car fantasy would be for each country to have a national series,followed by an global endurance, as well as an one-off global race for say the top 3 teams in each national series. But I think we're getting very dreamy with that suggestion!!
Old 5 Jul 2002, 13:51 (Ref:327719)   #53
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still not convinced that this won't work, that the costs will be too high etc...

Sure, only the teams with a big enough budget would be able to get to every round, but just like what happened during the 1987 WTCC, when the circus went to Bathurst, Calder and Wellington, the Australian and New Zealand teams were there to join the main WTCC entrants, and at the Japan finale, the Japanese teams also entered. Therefore, the core teams still enter each race, with competitive locals in there as well, ensuring competition and big grids.

If the prize is good enough the manufacturers/teams will enter, no matter the cost, look at the WRC.

Also, why would the ETCC have to expand into the WTCC, why couldn't both be separate.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 01:19 (Ref:327999)   #54
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racer69, I agree with you on this one - it CAN work, but only of course if there are a limited number of rounds. A 20 race series won't work, but there is no reason why a 5-8 round series wouldn't work, especially if the rounds were also 'domestic' races if you know what I mean - for example. The round in say, Silverstone could also count as an ETCC round, but with only the ETCC car scoring for that championship - were as everyone would be entered in the WTCC. Or you could have two rounds at one meet. An ETCC/BTCC/etc race, and a WTCC race - there is no reason why, with a bit of optimism, it can't work. Base the series in Europe with 2 rounds outside, maybe 3, and already it's a WTCC.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 08:26 (Ref:328065)   #55
kmchow
Veteran

I like DNQ's suggestion. The WTCC could theoretically be smaller, but the national teams could also join in the race. But regardless, any WTCC, it definitely will require the global auto group to be involved? They have to force each national importer to support or contribute to the cost of the WTCC.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 00:08 (Ref:328400)   #56
kmchow
Veteran

Recently, the head of CART has said they wanted to talk to manufacturers to see how CART could make their series more relevant and useful, marketing wise for manufacturers? Seems like our recent debate about a WTCC or at least a US based TC series seems too obvious??? Seems like a dumb question huh???

Hmmm, which is more relevant? A Ford Cosworth powered car that no one can buy versus a Focus touring car?? hmmm...
Yeah,yeah, those are obviously very biased comments.

Tags
wtcc