Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Aug 2004, 05:23 (Ref:1079727)   #51
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey mountainstar,

Just wanted to let you know that McD's is signed through '06, not '07. Still fantastic news!
Old 28 Aug 2004, 05:54 (Ref:1079730)   #52
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
I'll bet your right. At the Fan Forum in Denver John Lopes said that there would be a major announcement regarding a title sponsor for the series. He said he wasn't at liberty to announce prematurly but he wasn't restricted from saying the words "fast food".
Now John Lopes said that there was going to be a "major announcement regarding a title sponsor for the series" and he also mentioned "fast food", so do you guys think that McDonald's and the CCWS had a deal in place for them (McD's) to be the series title sponsor and they backed out at the last moment or do you think there's another "major announcement" to come shortly?

Please excuse me now while I try to catch my breath.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:17 (Ref:1079738)   #53
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, AS PER USUAL, THE MEDIA ARE READING THINGS INTO SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THERE!!!

PLEASE, just for once, can't everyone be HAPPY that

a) McDonalds, one of THE BIGGEST COMPANIES ON THE PLANET, has signed on with Champ Cars for 3 seasons???

b) That this is going to generate publicity we can't even FATHOM?

c) That this will make Champ Car a comodoity in places in the world it never could have ever dreamed of 2 months ago???

This is SUPER NEWS!!!! It's a HURRAH, beer-swilling THANK YOU 3 AMIGO'S-KISS YOUR FEET TRIUMPH!!!

Last edited by Mags; 28 Aug 2004 at 06:19.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:36 (Ref:1079742)   #54
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The important thing is that there is a major corporation that virtually the entire world knows about putting their business faith in Champ Car. I hope that this will get other major corporations to jump on board, with car sponsorship, track sponsorship, and whatever else.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1079745)   #55
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
We are lucky enough to have both Burger King and Hungry Jacks down here thanks to a unique (and seriously messed up) licence agreement....

As far as Ronnie Mac's participation in the series goes, I am reminded that these guys funded a Tasman/Forsythe entry for Tony Kanaan not that long ago, and they stepped out after only a year... apparently due to marketing objectives not being met....
I was wondering why I saw a few burger kings down there. Anyways I think the marketing objectives not being met had more to do with the "drive thru" marketing champaign than with CART itself. At that time McD's was flailing around with a new marketing angle every time you turned around.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1079747)   #56
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
As far as Ronnie Mac's participation in the series goes, I am reminded that these guys funded a Tasman/Forsythe entry for Tony Kanaan not that long ago, and they stepped out after only a year... apparently due to marketing objectives not being met....
NO.. that is NOT why they left. They didn't have enough "say" (this being in the days that engine manufatures wanted atonomy over the series) So they bailed on Gerry and Tony Kannan. They went to NA$CAR and found out what REAL life was like!!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1079748)   #57
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
The important thing is that there is a major corporation that virtually the entire world knows about putting their business faith in Champ Car. I hope that this will get other major corporations to jump on board, with car sponsorship, track sponsorship, and whatever else.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1079804)   #58
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hey mountainstar,

Just wanted to let you know that McD's is signed through '06, not '07. Still fantastic news!
They are signed with Newman-Haas through till '07 and as 'the official fast food' (which I believe is probably the title in title sponsorship) of Champ Car through till '06.
Great news! McD's is a great company to have on board regardless of how you view their food. Personally I have never heard of Rallys or Happy Jacks but everybody knows McDonalds. Their strength in marketing can only help Champ Car.
Personally I celebrated with a Big Mac yesterday, and it was quite tasty!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 Aug 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1080040)   #59
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

I'm Lovin' It!

Old 28 Aug 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1080050)   #60
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But where is RONALD?
Old 28 Aug 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1080065)   #61
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It boils down to Newman leaning on them via the Salad Dressing deal. There was a lot of aggro to get them on the car. Imo the "official fast food of whatever" is part of that appeasement. CART gets the image of a serious patron.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1080081)   #62
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
But where is RONALD?
Who cares, i'm terrified of clowns!
Old 28 Aug 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1080160)   #63
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Russfeld... IMO you're wrong.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1080196)   #64
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tend to think that the McD's deal wouldn't have happened if Newman hadn't had a relationship with McD's. Newman's recent public appearances have probably been in an attempt to make sponsorhip of his team more appealing, in addition to series promotion. These things are probably desirable for McD's when sponsoring his team. That said I have a tough time believing that Newman would cash in on his philanthrapy to fund autoracing. When Newman was on Wind Tunnel Despain brought up the fact that Newman's Own has one of the world's highest percentages of actual charitable contribution compared to revenue. They're at 95% or something. Even organizations like the United Way are MUCH lower (say 65%, I can't remember the exact figure). What that means is that it's a charity of the purist sort. Newman could very easily grant himself a salary, etc. and no one would bat an eye. He makes a very conscious effort to give every last dime to the cause.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Who cares, i'm terrified of clowns!
Seriously? You're just like Kramer.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1080204)   #65
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I tend to think that the McD's deal wouldn't have happened if Newman hadn't had a relationship with McD's.
True, but no deal happens without the people involved.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1080210)   #66
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Snrub, Can't you see that Ronald scares everyone?!

Old 28 Aug 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1080240)   #67
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller just said (on Speed News), McDs is going to do national TV comercials w/ SB, in store promotions, & be part of the Champ Car logo. They will be promoting in the US, Canada & Mexico.

Jeff
Old 28 Aug 2004, 23:37 (Ref:1080244)   #68
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not as big a deal as I had envisioned but...

No matter which way you spin it (who was envolved in making the deal, who wasn't, the whys, why nots, whozits and what for's) it is a positive for Champ Car.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:37 (Ref:1080282)   #69
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now if they put a toy champ car in every happy meal we will have millions of kids and parents who would know what a cham car is.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:47 (Ref:1080286)   #70
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenoch
Now if they put a toy champ car in every happy meal we will have millions of kids and parents who would know what a champ car is.
From your lips, to God's ears! What a brilliant idea!!!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 02:13 (Ref:1080293)   #71
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I once got in trouble with the police for doing something I shouldnt have been doing to one of those Ronald statue's out the front of a franchise.

ahhhh the things you do for free beer
Old 29 Aug 2004, 02:21 (Ref:1080297)   #72
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
I once got in trouble with the police for doing something I shouldnt have been doing to one of those Ronald statue's out the front of a franchise.

ahhhh the things you do for free beer
I thought this was supposed to be a family forum, Marcus?!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 02:34 (Ref:1080303)   #73
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hence the lack of detail
Old 29 Aug 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1080315)   #74
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
I thought this was supposed to be a family forum, Marcus?!
It's all about family, reproduction is a part of Marcus' family heritige.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1080369)   #75
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Russfeld... IMO you're wrong.

And you're welcome to continue believing that