Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1275017)   #51
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All sorted...(display's back etc.)

So much for it being all Tracy's race
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1275029)   #52
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lap 44, Bourdais looking really strong until the yellow, with Tracy and Junquiera in the fray as well. Wilson also looks strong.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1275031)   #53
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What caused the yellow? I was watching the finish of the Cup race.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1275038)   #54
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sperafico breaking down....parked on track
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1275039)   #55
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
not sure perhaps Sperafico ? live timing is reporting a mechanical problem , maybe he stopped on track ?

at least i got race director back up and going now
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1275040)   #56
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
k, thanks
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1275060)   #57
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Tee hee, I think Philippe just returned the favour and punted Ranger into the wall! (Could be wrong, pic not too clear)
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1275065)   #58
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Wirdheim who drop-kicked Ranger.

Wirdheim has not impressed me this weekend. Surely he should be up to speed by now?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1275070)   #59
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
weak race, loads of better action from around the globe this weekend - sprint to the flag now, better be good!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1275072)   #60
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
It's a fair race. Wasn't expecting anything better or worse.

Bremer & Glock clearly our top rookie honours for this race at least.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1275073)   #61
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
It was Wirdheim who drop-kicked Ranger.

Wirdheim has not impressed me this weekend. Surely he should be up to speed by now?
He's done some good laptimes, and I think he'll improve throughout the year. I think it's also worth remembering that it's his first time at the track and that he hasn't raced in a year.

Long Beach isn't exactly the easiest track to pass on either.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1275077)   #62
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the race was bad. I think the TV coverage was atrocious.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1275081)   #63
bigjon
Racer

Quote:
indeed - i thought americans new how to cover racing - they've got enough of it!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1275082)   #64
bigjon
Racer

well done to s.b.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1275083)   #65
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
A good race I feel considering the circuit. A good pack of rookies and new entertainers...and Newman-Haas, Forsythe & RuSport should be able to push each other on.

Looking forward to future races at far better circuits.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1275085)   #66
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon
weak race, loads of better action from around the globe this weekend
Agreed. Then again, Long Beach isn't exactly one of the better street circuits on the schedule (compared to Surfers' in particular and quite a few others), so I wasn't expecting much myself.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1275086)   #67
jimslob
Rookie

Canada
nanaimo,bc
jimslob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can you believe the idiocy of 3 minutes of commercials with less than ten laps remaining.
Atrocious, you are kind in your comment!
Kudos to Bordais, he ran a great race.
To bad about Ranger I think he had definate top ten today before being punted.
Jim
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1275093)   #68
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was a good race. We had multiple legit passes for the lead and a little further back.

Got to hand it to Bourdais. At first when he got infront of PT I was a little POed that it was a fuel run, but he certainly more than backed it up. Absolutely smoked PT when he had the stickier tires and surprisingly was faster when he was on the regulars with PT on the reds. It's too bad Marshall didn't wave PT by before the restart. Bourdais deserved the win, but I think it would have been more interesting to see another pass for the lead or at least an attempt. Not to take anything away from Bourdais, but he seemed to have a setup advantage over PT and Junquiera.

Wilson was really quiet strong. It's nice to see that someone had a car that was legitimately as fast as the top cars (PT and Junquiera, not Bourdais).

It was kind of annoying that everyone towards the back gambled on fuel stratagy because we couldn't really tell where they should have ended up.

Tag appeared to crash 1 lap from the end.

Bremer is super impressive! Regardless of the final result, I think he out raced Glock, which says a lot. Bjorn was surprisingly a non-factor. Not going to hold anything against him, but given his credentials I was expecting a little more.

Last edited by Snrub; 10 Apr 2005 at 22:11.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1275095)   #69
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race. For such a tight street circuit it was nice to see some on-track passing for the lead. Would have been nice if they had gotten Marshall out of the way on the restart. Don't think it would have mattered, Bourdais had too much for Tracy today.
Poor Dominguez really got chewed up at the end there. Not having any P2P left really hurt him. Live by the sword, Die by the sword I guess.
The rookies looked really good today. Impressive freshman class!
Methinks Wilson is going to be one to watch, in regards to challenging Bourdais. Bourdais still looks like the class of the field though.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1275102)   #70
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Tag appeared to crash 1 lap from the end.
According to my special insider friend (cough, the live timing screen)...Tag's had engine trouble and either slowed up greatly or pulled over.

Shame. Marshall clearly nowhere near him and the most unimpressive rookie this weekend.

Oh well, till May 22nd!

Last edited by Hazard; 10 Apr 2005 at 22:14.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1275111)   #71
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the most unimpressive rookie ?????????

how about Mr Del Monte ????

and I think marshall did pretty well actually , he kept his nose clean all day and learnt alot im sure he didnt crash into anyone or badly block anyone (that i saw) so i think it was a solid debut for a guy who has never driven anything like this before in his life.

good race alltogether though , was impressed with Glock and Ronnie Bremer very good indeed.

cant wait for the next one but it is sooooooooooo long away
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1275119)   #72
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I don't think Marshall was terrible, he was quite off the pace of Tag. Though the chances of him beating Tag are slim, he could be closer. Comparing him to delMonte isn't a fair comparison though. delMonte has had no seat time in a Champ Car until this weekend and he is in new team, unlike Marshall who is with the very experienced Walker team.
I think Marshall will get closer to Tag though, he wasn't as quick but he was consistent.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1275120)   #73
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Del Monte spun twice, but can we say anything beyond that?

Ranger was actually pretty messy, but while he didn't achieve, he showed that he has achievement potential.

What was the deal with Sperafico? He was very slow, but then stopped on the front straight. I loved Daily's comment that there was a chance they'd have only a local yellow with Sperafico's car parked. As he said that Bourdais wails by @ ~170mph 4 feet from the car. I can't speak for the workers, but I wouldn't want to be out there pulling the car out of the way.

Last edited by Snrub; 10 Apr 2005 at 22:38.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1275123)   #74
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good race, although TSN as always did their best to keep us from seeing it. Glock is going to be my driver this year. He's very fast and keeps away from banzai moves -- and he came back from a bad gamble on fuel that put him back to P10 and ended up back in P6. I think he'll be on the podium before too much longer.

Dominguez looked very good for someone who only met his team four days ago, and I expect he will be winning a race or two in 2005.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1275134)   #75
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimslob
Can you believe the idiocy of 3 minutes of commercials with less than ten laps remaining.
Atrocious, you are kind in your comment!
Not to mention Derek Daly calling them "IndyCars" at least twice... but I guess I should cut him some slack, I mean what's a decade between friends? Thank goodness for Race Director!

Bourdais: Great strategy of saving fuel in the first stint and running a few laps longer than the frontrunners, gained him a lot of time. Plus he was just in the zone today! Even in the last stint he was quicker on blacks than Tracy was on reds... impressive stuff.
Tracy: Didn't really do much wrong, but never looked like getting close to Bourdais once he'd been passed.
Junqueira: Mr Invisible on the track today, but a solid 3rd place nonetheless. Consistency is the key.
Wilson: Also impressed today. Nothing spectacular until near the end, but had the pace (well, the push-to-pass ) when it counted.
Dominguez: No push-to-pass cost him, but otherwise a productive weekend, especially given his preparation.
Glock: Great drive from a rookie, did really well. Easily outclassed his team-mate. Very solid.
Bremer: ditto!
Allmendinger: Lacked speed all weekend really, didn't seem comfortable with the car.
Vasser: Alternate strategy didn't really help or hinder, apart from some fun in the sun at the pointy end for a little while.
Da Matta: Plus ca change...
Servia: Would love to see him in a front-running car...
Wirdheim: Smashed by his new team-mate. Bad weekend, or sign of things to come?
Hunter-Reay: Ditto!
Marshall: Ditto, except more so! Ahead of del Monte and Sperafico, kept his nose clean, but that was about it.
Tag: Great race until his engine dramas at the end.
del Monte: Jensen was a last-minute deal, and it showed.
Ranger: A nasty way to end it all, but showed pace at times over the weekend. The new A.J.?
Philippe: Not much behind Ranger for much of the weekend!
Sperafico: See Wirdheim, Hunter-Reay and Marshall.

Last edited by MCWB; 10 Apr 2005 at 22:54.