Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 23 Oct 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1441340)   #51
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
How do I get on the back though Chris if I don't do a Walkinshaw SDi Rover mod (i.e a negetive camber live axle with C.V joints buried in the case, only what I have heard of course ).
No CV joints required. You get someone to put the whole axle in a hydraulic press, supporting the hubs ends of the tubes. Apply pressure to the diff section, while warming the tubes. You can get 1deg neg easy, without having to do too much. Then turn the axle, through 90deg, and tweak it for 10min toe in.

Hey presto.

There is enough movement in the taper roller bearings to get away with it. They won't last as long as if the axle was straight, but you should see a season out of them.

Any way, tut tut for suggesting that ol' Tom couldn't even lay straight in bed.
(don't mention Volvo rockers made with BL logo's on them, etc....)

Some time back, I was trying to get hold of one of the Martin Thomas Racing (Letchworth Roofing sponsored) cars, but the tight old sod won't let it out of his shed!

Rob.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1441812)   #52
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah now you may have hit the nail on the head there Stacy,
As a rule, if they bolt on, they can come off..

As I've said, you can get these things to handle within the regs, and very well too - so maybe there's some homework to do?

Stacy
Old 24 Oct 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1441878)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Is that right Stacy that is good we will shed those forthwith as they definitely just bolt on and with big old self tapper things and spire nuts as well in good old GM fashion. It will help with under bonnet temperatures as well.

On the whole she does handle reasonable well and I think it just needs a bit of tweaking but we will get there I hope. Bit down on grunt to be honest but I think I will use what I have at the moment as it is a good benchmark to improve the chassis, if I build another 150 bhp into her it will muddy the waters a bit.

Oh and sorry to hijack the post, talking Rovers I did wreck a 220 Turbo Rover once in my black car when he pulled over on me at the start at Snetterton avoiding a stalled car (Sorry Colin) and I hit him up the chuff. My old tank was virtually unmarked but his need a reshell.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1442074)   #54
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=stacy]Oyya.... Lets not forget I wasn't given all the facts me old mukka!

ye sorry stacey i didnt. thought youd realised it was a 216gti challenge car and also thought the dam things were available in 89.well to the race teams they were,but not the public! never mind.it was just a bit tactless in the way i was told 10 mins before the race.... water under the bridge mate and back to the thread. iv raced with 2 tomcats in the toyos this year,one the yellow ebay car of graham meeks and in the final round anthony wrights ex dan jones white,blue and orange car.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1442088)   #55
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
.it was just a bit tactless in the way i was told 10 mins before the race....
It wasn't a bit tactless at all, it was very tactless - I wasn't happy..

Stacy
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1442100)   #56
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
yep. peed me off somewhat after 20 years but what can you expect from ******.shutup stubby now im getting on me own nerves. looking forward to a new series,.

thinking of what you said 59,i recall lots of capri racers that stripped their axles,sawed thru the tubes and welded em back together to get some neggy. surprizing how just a little bit helps!!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1442600)   #57
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or you could just run a line weld along the top of the axle casing to pull it in!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1442770)   #58
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shhhh Denis, don't tell everybody (and don't forget to do that weld straight, or the varmit will twist like a corkscrew)

Rob.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1443765)   #59
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=COLIN STUBBS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy
Oyya.... Lets not forget I wasn't given all the facts me old mukka!

ye sorry stacey i didnt. thought youd realised it was a 216gti challenge car and also thought the dam things were available in 89.well to the race teams they were,but not the public! never mind.it was just a bit tactless in the way i was told 10 mins before the race.... water under the bridge mate and back to the thread. iv raced with 2 tomcats in the toyos this year,one the yellow ebay car of graham meeks and in the final round anthony wrights ex dan jones white,blue and orange car.
Hi, I'm familiar with Graham meeks and the car, but am very keen to see pictures and or get in contact with anthony wrights car, can you help?

Dave Harasym
Old 26 Oct 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1444028)   #60
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
dave i cant help you with a number but if you get in touch with the racing saloon car club via their site someone will help. or shout for dennis! WHERE ARE YOU..........
Old 27 Oct 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1445184)   #61
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, I never did get a number off the Cornwall contingent so can't help directly. As Colin said, try Gerry Cain who runs the RSCC on 020-7236 0096 and may be able to help.

It might help if you said you were interested in racing in the series in a Rover 220 Turbo and wanted to talk to an existing driver!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1445784)   #62
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
looks like there could be two barc series for very nearly the same cars next year with toyo and pre 93. apart from the odd honda theres not much any newer in toyo. wonder if slicks will be allowed in pre 93? if not its going to be very very similar...sorry if this is slightly off topic and perhaps its time for a new thread but both should be tomcat territory!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1445861)   #63
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Thanks for the info guys.

Would it be this car?

Well I think I will be doing the LMA, as I know one of the Tomcat drivers very well, and I know there are at least 3-4 other Tomcat/drivers wanting to race in that series.

Cheers

Dave
Old 28 Oct 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1445876)   #64
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
thats the car! he got it from same guy that sold me my 216gti. long treck for him from cornwall to newcastle. undecided what to do next year with mine.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1445883)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
looks like there could be two barc series for very nearly the same cars next year with toyo and pre 93. apart from the odd honda theres not much any newer in toyo. wonder if slicks will be allowed in pre 93? if not its going to be very very similar...sorry if this is slightly off topic and perhaps its time for a new thread but both should be tomcat territory!
I think the Toyos still remain different enough to cope with both provided the proposal for a tamed down class is shelved as I think then there would be a definite clash then as the toyos definitely allow more tuning and tweeking in its current format.

Maybe it would be a good idea if the two discussed proposals so neither loose out as we have seen too much of this before, I will be go between if you like as I am familiar with both clubs.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1445904)   #66
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Maybe it would be a good idea if the two discussed proposals so neither loose out as we have seen too much of this before, I will be go between if you like as I am familiar with both clubs.
Guys, I don't believe there is a great issue with Pre-93 and Toyo's. The regulations, especially engine regs, for Toyo's are very different. Since the club has been hosting touring car races for 30 years, this is just natural progression of the successful pre-83 (group 1) type blood line.

It's worth pointing out however that I have spoken to Gerry Cain already, and Gerry will be putting forward a proposal to the AGM where we can develop a mutually beneficial relationship.

We are all aware of the grid sizes challenge we have nowadays.

Sincerely

Stacy
Old 28 Oct 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1445917)   #67
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Nice one Stacey, good call.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1445923)   #68
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
thought you must have stacey. i heard that toyos were trying a new initiative to try and attract a few more cars.theres a good number of cars running in brscc lma that could run either series as well. its all ok as long as we dont have 3 or more different series with slightly different regs,all with less than 10 cars running. lma is a good series but trying to work out what class to run seems to be a problem!! then theres tintops... iv had a go in all of em this year.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1445959)   #69
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
all with less than 10 cars running.
Exactly. To put Pre-93's in perspective though, this is related to a press release which has now gone, which announces that the CTCRC and the Miltek BMW's have teamed up as well. So Pre-93's will kick off with 10-15 Miltek cars doing their second race, half a dozen Group 1's having a second race, and sole Pre-93 cars we're in negotiation with as well. It's not a fictional grid we're talking about here.

It's therefore strong in terms of registered competitors before we turn a wheel. It's the only way we can get a new series off the ground these days in this commercial world.

Pre-93's HAD to happen though. It's the future of the club, and at some point there will be pre-2003's, but I doubt I'll be in the chair by then!

Also of course, we're starting to put together a very reasonable and entertaining full days saloon car racing..

Stacy
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1446003)   #70
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Right thanks for that, it seems he is selling the car now, as it was advertised the other day, trialer included.

Cheers

Dave
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1446028)   #71
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stacy - any news on when the regs will be out? I need one less excuse for delaying putting the car together! Would like to keep it pre-93 eligible if at all possible.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1446034)   #72
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Stacy - any news on when the regs will be out? I need one less excuse for delaying putting the car together! Would like to keep it pre-93 eligible if at all possible.
Hi,

The CTCRC have a regulations meeting in November, prior to MSA submission for all our championships in December. Pre-93 is a series in it's 1st year (obviously) so we should be able to issue draft regs late Nov/early Dec...

Cheers

Stacy
Old 28 Oct 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1446068)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Is that a closed meeting Stacey or is it open to CTCRC (non trouble making, promise) members.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1446088)   #74
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Is that a closed meeting Stacey or is it open to CTCRC (non trouble making, promise) members.
It's a closed meeting I'm afraid, formed up from technical committee members, scrutineers and the comp sec.

Whilst I'm a democrat, you can't write documents by committee successfully with any regularity - hence the more focussed forum.

You are welcome to put forward views/suggestions however.

Regards

Stacy

(pls note, not "Stacey")
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1446114)   #75
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy
You are welcome to put forward views/suggestions however.

Can we have bigger wheels than under group 1 regs? 15x7 will be fine

Is the intention to have the classes structured to allow in the mid 80s tourers and / or the early STs? Will the big banger cossies and M3s be directed towards Classic Thunder?