Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1368743)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ferrari are looking at DC it can only be in the event of Michael retiring.

Massa has already signed.

The Scuderia are normally on the ball - but they've really screwed themselves, by unlike other teams, not having any decent youngsters under contract.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1368778)   #52
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a way, i agree with you K-B.

F1 is highly competitive, and mega-budget.. hence i often find it curious why Ferrari doesn't spend a small portion to "invest" in young talents.

People could say the Massa is one of the "investments", but surely one that is a gamble.

Look at mclaren..they had their own young driver programs...although disappointingly, never give their own drivers a chance at their team.

More encouraging is Renault and Toyota's approach. They basically have an academy which signs and manages and offer jobs for quick and talented driver...and it's not as if those guys cost the team billions of bucks. Usually, it will pay of if one of them make the cut to F1 and prove to be in demand (ie Alonso). This way, the team is always ensured a decent back-up driver, and won't be left searching for replacements or with pitiful line-up.

Ferrari should have one. Hmm..even Red-Bull has it. You never know when you need to turn to your own stable for a quality driver when others are tied by contract.

Probably Ferrari thinks that their name is strong enough to attract any driver they want...but still...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1368790)   #53
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Probably Ferrari thinks that their name is strong enough to attract any driver they want...but still...
Or maybe think its a better investment to let drivers develop at other teams, and then poach them with money.

When was the last time Ferrari fielded a guy with one season or less experience ?? I think Jean Alesi came in after one season at Tyrell in 1991... but that was the last time a relatively inexperienced driver has been at the scuderia.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1368791)   #54
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is, it's harder to poach a driver now than it once was.

Most teams are manufacturer backed.

It was a lot easier to get Eddie Jordan to part with Irvine than it would be to get Alonso from Renault or Raikkonen from McLaren-Mercedes.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1368796)   #55
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree. Even getting Raikkonen from Sauber is relatively easy because those teams, who due to budget contraint have to hire unproven drivers in the first place, could put the cash offered by the big teams to good use.

Manufacturers have the money already, hence they don't see the need to let a driver go for a small change.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1368818)   #56
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC was approached by Ferrari last year for a test driver role. They did have some talks, but DC decided to opt for a midfield race driver than a top test drive.

I can't see DC going to Ferrari as a race driver. He's very happy where he is, as team leader with a team thats clearly on the move.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1368831)   #57
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great for Massa who can now showcase his talent in what should be a reasonable competative car. And whats better than being coached by 7 time champ Michael Schumacher.

And for Rubens, his good friendship with De Ferran will help him work in a comfortable surrounding, and being the team-leader as one would presume would be an excellent environment for Rubens to have a car that would not be built against him.

And finally a shake-up at Ferrari and we will see a development program put in place for the eventual replacement of Michael Schumacher. Will Massa take the number one role after the tyrant has left. And can they scope out Button for 2007.

But anyways, to keep it on topic. Great for Massa, and great for BAR.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1368912)   #58
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Turbo_Charged should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see a 24yo making to a top team again. I watched him back in 2000 and 2001 when he won the Italian, the European F-Renault and then the Euro F3000... and always wondered where he would get. He joined Sauber the next year, and although *VERY* immature he wasn't that slower (sometimes faster) than the far more experienced Heidfeld... Some people wanted him to hold the racing seat in 2003, but a more down to earth approach at Sauber allowed Ferrari to try out the kid... and he did extremely well. Well enough to keep testing for them in 2004 while driving the other Ferrari powered team... Didn't fare badly up against Fisico, had a mercurial performance in China... And what can I say about him this year? Still wild... but can work with numbers like no one I know. Just ask JV how he rates Felipe now.

If he doesn't go to Ferrari... there's a whole team here in Switzerland that would love to see him shine in a BMW powered car.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1368939)   #59
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
When will we have official announcements on Massa's and Barrichello's future plans?

Massa has a lot to prove; though he also has the best opportunity to do that. Like McLaren, Ferrari has turned its back on using its test seats to showcase young talent (Massa's year there notwithstanding), but has also failed completely to develop any kind of junior programme. If Massa disappoints, Ferrari may rue that failure.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1368950)   #60
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
When will we have official announcements on Massa's and Barrichello's future plans?

Monza would make sense.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1368977)   #61
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But is it wise to leave the rumours flying and festering for another month? Barrichello is already complaining that the rumours are causing ructions at Ferrari.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1368995)   #62
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan

Massa has a lot to prove; though he also has the best opportunity to do that. Like McLaren, Ferrari has turned its back on using its test seats to showcase young talent (Massa's year there notwithstanding), but has also failed completely to develop any kind of junior programme. If Massa disappoints, Ferrari may rue that failure.

they're still gonna have Schumacher next year .. and he always delivers .. and if Massa doesn't .. for 2007 there might be some drivers free from contracts ..

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Aug 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1369030)   #63
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to a report in The Guardian, the Brazilian 'has been released from the balance of his contract with Ferrari and is poised to sign to drive for BAR-Honda for the next two seasons.'

'Formal confirmation of the deal, which will see Barrichello's fellow Brazilian Felipe Massa inherit his position in the Ferrari team, is expected this week,' the paper says.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1369061)   #64
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The next part of the Guardian article is even wilder suggesting Fisi to replace Sato !
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1369065)   #65
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Speaking of contracts, is everyone forgetting that Barrichello has a Ferrari contract through to 2006?
Nope. He does not. Ferrari has an option on his services for 2006, and they may or may not pick it up.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1369382)   #66
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Or maybe think its a better investment to let drivers develop at other teams, and then poach them with money.

When was the last time Ferrari fielded a guy with one season or less experience ?? I think Jean Alesi came in after one season at Tyrell in 1991... but that was the last time a relatively inexperienced driver has been at the scuderia.
Gilles had a one off for McLaren before Enzo brought him into the team, but that's going back to '78-'79. I'm not sure you would have called him inexperienced at the time....he had won championships in cars and snowmobiles by then.

Likely to be Rubens and Sato then, unless some serious dollars fly around. The problem for Frank, is that he has sponsors lined up, dependent on Jensons place in the team. Tens of millions of pounds are on the line here.
Buttons really gone and screwed things up, for the second year in a row. No wonder his paddock popularity is suffering for it.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1369409)   #67
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Speaking of contracts, is everyone forgetting that Barrichello has a Ferrari contract through to 2006?
Well I know for a fact that RB signed for BAR last week...and Todt has a vested interest in Massa...and his manager...so it all fits!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1369410)   #68
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must praise K-B for his ability to bring us scoops. However, I noted in the newspaper yesterday that RB was denying the news of his departure from Ferrari / joining BAR. Does he suffer from delusions or what?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1369415)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All sportspeople deny such stories. It's common practice, if a trifle pointless.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1369423)   #70
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Well I know for a fact that RB signed for BAR last week...and Todt has a vested interest in Massa...and his manager...so it all fits!
Just made it 100% true to my mind then
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1369429)   #71
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Not sure what Schabby Schmuck means, but I don't think its a complement.... Jenson hasn't really had the car to win, so I think this is unfair.
I think it's a derogatory NY Yiddish expression for someone who doesn't 'play the game'.

If Michael Schumacher was in A BAR/Honda 006 last season...do you really believe he wouldn't have won at least one race with it!...If so you underestimate MS as much as you oversetimate JB!...That boy has now done 93 GP's for 4 top teams...in comparison to say...JYS who did 99 GP's in his entire F1 career, netting 27 wins on his way to 3 world titles.

Button's attraction is the snowballing effect of his overinflated hype that the British media so brilliantly cultivated 'Fast Tracking' him to give their readers/ fans a new British hero...his value is greater to sponsors than his driving ability..."Smooth" as he is in all respects, except honouring his contractual commitments it appears!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1369432)   #72
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen

If Michael Schumacher was in A BAR/Honda 006 last season...do you really believe he wouldn't have won at least one race with it!...If so you underestimate MS as much as you oversetimate JB!...

Schumacher would have won a race in it, but primarily because by definition Schumacher in the Ferrari F2004 would not have been up against him!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1369433)   #73
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
All sportspeople deny such stories. It's common practice, if a trifle pointless.
Looking for a rationale explanation, my feeling/theory was (is) that his deal with BAR might not have closed yet such that he didn't want to look desperate in his negos with BAR or wanted them to speed up things by trying to infer that he might still sign with Ferrari if BAR doesn't hurry. This would make sense if one takes into account that BAR might be holding on committing themselves on other options pending the outcome of Buttongate no. 2. Maybe RB has indeed a possible commitment from Ferrari to be their third diver for next year (better than nothing I guess).

Those are all speculations on my part but I just don't see Rubens telling us lies for the fun of it.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1369434)   #74
Kicking-back
Veteran

No, the reason RB is denying it or saying nothing is because generally when you sign a contract there is a confidentiality agreement until both parties are ready to announce.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1369440)   #75
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
No, the reason RB is denying it or saying nothing is because generally when you sign a contract there is a confidentiality agreement until both parties are ready to announce.
Then he shouyld simply avoid the topic, shut his mouth, or say "no comments", etc. There is nothing in a confidentiality clause which may provide for lying. I am puzzled by the situation, that's all.