Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1396109)   #51
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I for one think it is totally reckless to sit down during a race as has already been said you WILL move slower.
Moving off the subject slightly if i may be permitted, i also think it is ridiculous to wear your fireproof's tied round your waist while the track is live as i have witnessed far too often.
I witnessed a number of marshal's dealing with an incident dressed like this. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rescue dude; 1 Sep 2005 at 06:47. Reason: spooling
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1396117)   #52
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottymarshal
I guess none of you know sss like I do .
I know sss only too well!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1396123)   #53
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
... i also think it is ridiculous to wear your fireproof's tied round your waist while the track is live...
Likewise, i saw a marshal this year trying to push a single seater back on the track whilst wearing only proban bottoms and a t-shirt. As the driver tried to restart the car, fuel ignited in the exhaust and their arms got burnt. Strangely enough they were wearing full probans the next day, so at least they learned a lesson even if it was the hard way...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1396399)   #54
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bat-hurst!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy
I never sit down when there are cars on the bank - I've had too many near misses. It's information I always try to pass on to novices with me.
Hey Beefy...we need your sort over here for Bathurst...three days of early starts and sleep deprivation followed by an oh dark hundred start on Sunday for a 1000 Flag drop with continuous racing until the dark again...

Under these circumstances the team has to support each other to allow comfort stops, food, rest breaks etc....
Old 1 Sep 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1396562)   #55
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Moving off the subject slightly if i may be permitted, i also think it is ridiculous to wear your fireproof's tied round your waist while the track is live as i have witnessed far too often.
I witnessed a number of marshal's dealing with an incident dressed like this. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!
BUT, it is not a requirement to wear probans, It's is to keep your self fully covered, However, I do wear probans and nomex underwear
Old 1 Sep 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1396661)   #56
rescue dude
Veteran

England
It's not a requirement to wear ANYTHING but i wear fireproof underwear underneath my overall's because the big fella upstair's only gave me one pair of them and i want to hang on to them.
Just because it's a hot day is no excuse to give the medical staff any more work!!!!!!!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1396677)   #57
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, and I have had 'Discusions' on here about Nomex unides, but I wouldn't say it's 'UNBELIEVABLE' if there is no requirement for it, belive it!

How did you get God to give you underwear?!?!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1396755)   #58
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
:i also think it is ridiculous to wear your fireproof's tied round your waist while the track is live as i have witnessed far too often.
Personally I wouldn't, but you go with what you're comfortable with. Many continental marshals wear short-sleeved overalls, even jeans and t-shirts. Depending on your duty, the risk of passing out with heat stroke can over-ride the risk of having the overalls down, and we all know that if you can feel the fire, you're too close.

Now I'll take a wild guess and assume I know the incident you're talking about, in which case I discussed it with them at the time. I was happy that the marshals who handled the car all wore gloves - far more important - and at least one person in the area was on fire cover at all times, and fully zippped up as a precaution.

Now, moving swiftly back to topic...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1396829)   #59
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does appear we are bordering on the shortage of marshals problems.
There should be sufficient marshals on post to allow for natural breaks, snacks (Not Pork Pies), drinks and maybe a 5 min. rest break during long races and where no meal break is provided. Perhaps not in a chair but on the grass or wall. Standing and trying to concentrate for a four hour shift is I believe dangerous.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1397020)   #60
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So i hope to see ALL marshals standing up for the six hour stints during the 24hr race! it is not a realistic option to demand that you stand for six hours, and i would tell my observer that!
Old 2 Sep 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1397038)   #61
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
May I suggest that you implement a rota system so you can each sit down for a while to rest. I think you need to be sensible about this when referring to a 24 hour race!
Old 2 Sep 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1397080)   #62
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the very first Willhire 24 Hour race at Snetterton probably over 25 years ago standards may have been a bit different then as I remember sitting on a straw bale for the last few hours, also I had a pair of sunglasses where I had painted a pair of eyes on the inside so that if you took a short snooze you still looked bright and alert!
I sometimes could do with those glasses today.
Balders
Old 2 Sep 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1397084)   #63
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you have missed the point Stephen. I am sure we all know it is only common sense to arrange a rota between the marshals on post for the various breaks and calls of nature as long as there are sufficient marshals to form a rota? Which was my point. I am sure we dont want to start more comments about the 24 hr race but the comment seems to have hit a sore point. I will be at the 24 hr race and certainly will not be standing to attention for four or six hours. Hope top see you there?
Old 2 Sep 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1397097)   #64
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Not me, I'm on holiday then
Old 2 Sep 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1397419)   #65
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats if you have enough to rota!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1398893)   #66
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Personally I wouldn't, but you go with what you're comfortable with. Many continental marshals wear short-sleeved overalls, even jeans and t-shirts. Depending on your duty, the risk of passing out with heat stroke can over-ride the risk of having the overalls down, and we all know that if you can feel the fire, you're too close.

Now I'll take a wild guess and assume I know the incident you're talking about, in which case I discussed it with them at the time. I was happy that the marshals who handled the car all wore gloves - far more important - and at least one person in the area was on fire cover at all times, and fully zippped up as a precaution.

Now, moving swiftly back to topic...

I don't think the driver's family would have been too impressed had he flipped over and caught fire!!!!
I call the family of the late Elio de Angelis to the stand.

As you said back on topic.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1399467)   #67
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Gosh rescue dude, you are such an example to us all. Never made a mistake, always so very aware of what everyone else is doing - and you can even tell which marshals are "rich" just by looking.

We're just not worthy to be in the same room as you really are we.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1399560)   #68
rescue dude
Veteran

England
So you should be.

Glad you recognize the fact that it IS a mistake.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1399575)   #69
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
The man who never makes a mistake must get awfully tired doing nothing.
Dont worry about your mistakes. Some of the dullest people dont make any.
Man is inclined to exaggerate almost everything except his own mistakes.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1399654)   #70
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ah sure now what wid a puir bogtrotting Oirish girleen know. Jaysus Jaysus. And probably begorrah. Now where did I put my forelock so I can tug it.....
Old 5 Sep 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1399711)   #71
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Now would ya be baiting me.
Closed Thread