Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1402888)   #51
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping you might run to a ' flat cap' this year , young sir! I shall have 2 + straw hat + trilby....it will depend on mood & weather! Charity shops have a wide selection of cheap period headwear ( as well as other clothing ). Being frugal, I pop in to many about this time of year...............
Old 9 Sep 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1402891)   #52
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do now own a flat cap... so maybe..
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1402958)   #53
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan

So where in the final instructions under 'White Overalls', it says and I quote' No one will be allowed in to the Paddocks unless they are suitably dressed. Therefore any Marshal who would like to take a look around at convenient times must remove their overall to comply with following standards' So that presumably refers to orange not white, it could confuse a stupid person!!
Balders
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1402973)   #54
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's right - the paddock marshals also wear the same white overalls. I have never worn period dress other than the white overalls and have always been permitted into the paddock (minus base ball cap of course!)
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1402974)   #55
NotLordPercy
Racer

It did.............
Old 9 Sep 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1402983)   #56
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
You do realise that any time over past eight or nine years when I have had to wear white overalls I have not been in to the paddock as I thought I was not allowed in and hence I have missed the opportunity of seeing all these wonderful cars up close. Idiot, it is a wonder I can even dress myself in the mornings - Balders
Old 9 Sep 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1403051)   #57
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mechanics wear white and they have to pop in and out of the paddock all the time. I've never seen them getting changed just to nip out for 5/8inch whitworth.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1403067)   #58
NotLordPercy
Racer

Perhaps its because of the way you look in 'whites'! The style police on the whicker gate have "taste guide lines" I believe. You possibly failed..............Try a belt this year .......a lot higher than last time!!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1403162)   #59
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
You will even find Goodwood sell white overalls (NOT probans though) to the public for them to wear in the paddock!!!!! Yes, white overalls are allowed in the paddock, orange ones are not.

Steve
Old 9 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1403213)   #60
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will notice that Mechanics also wear a tie as do staff in the paddock, so may be worth putting one in your pocket!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1403225)   #61
lucypumablue
Rookie

England
(Not-so) Sunny Sussex
lucypumablue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all very well for the male marshalls amongst us, but any tips from the ladies as to how we change from orange overalls into our gorge skirts, heels and lipsticks for a 5 minute stand-down to wonder round the paddock?!
Tee hee hee!!!!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1403230)   #62
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy borrow some whites!!
And put them over the top.

Last edited by Circuitmarshal; 9 Sep 2005 at 20:29. Reason: Finger quicker than brain!!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1405318)   #63
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea how strict they are on the wearing of a jacket/blazer? Will a shirt and tie suffice?

Also, coat wise they say no anoraks, etc. Do you think a wax jacket (game-keeper style) would be accepted as suitable wet/windy/cold weather attire?
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1405645)   #64
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Period-perfect is a nice ideal, but not everyone can do it or afford it.
My experience is that a jacket/blazer is preferred. Making some sort of effort is better than none at all, so a modern, non-lairy, light tweed or navy is acceptable. Similarly, Barbour OK (at least when it's stair-rods), Marlboro-Ferrari Puffa not.

Browse your wardrobe (and a few friends), and be creative and pragmatic:
- Jeans may be a no-no (unless you have the rest of the biker get-up), but cordury, moleskin and linen can work.
- Brogues may be accurate, but not much use on sodden grass banks - pack the Timberland boots!
- Grey, brown or white shirts look right
- What about Grandad's old cravate - covers many a faux-pas
- If there's one thing you really can't get right, pop into Old Hat in the Expo Area early on Friday - they will finish you off (Tip: don't waste time making a decision - just say "I need a jacket" and let them choose it)
All can be done with 'modern', and you'll find many people do just this. If you've at least made an effort, you won't feel out of place and should be just fine.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1406736)   #65
Zoltan
Rookie

Zoltan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anyone going to Goodwood from Surrey (Woking/Guildford) on Sat morning?
If so, please pick me up and I'll pay your fuel.

Cheers,
Zoltan
tasnadyzoltan@freemail.hu
078-371-85-404
Old 13 Sep 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1406741)   #66
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anyone has the time on Sunday come over to the Chaters stand on Sunday when me and Gi_Gav are signing copies of Autodrome
Old 13 Sep 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1406838)   #67
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Zoltan, welcome to ten-tenths. May I suggest you post your request in the Trackside Forum as well, as most marshals will already be there from Thursday evening. You may get a better response there.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1407008)   #68
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news and bad news
Bad news, the friend I am staying with can't come to the meeting - any day, so the
Good news is I have a spare ticket for each day which now need a grateful recipient.
Best offers accompanied by a six pack (of beer!) delivered to post 7 will succeed. If anyone wants the one for Friday, email me urgently <snip>please don't post phone numbers!</snip> and I can post it.
See you there
Clive

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 14 Sep 2005 at 08:21. Reason: Phone number removed - EP
Old 14 Sep 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1407814)   #69
TangoGirl
Rookie

TangoGirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re dress for paddock. Yes, we paddock marshals do wear the white overalls as supplied to those on posts near the start/finish so that's fine for visiting us.

Remember that not all the carsin the paddock are behind the gates under the control of the style police. Some of the best cars (IMHO), those from the St Mary's trophy, come out of the "second" paddock which is not controlled as regards dress code, as are the motorbikes.

I usually wear a checked shirt and knitted tie under said white overalls. The period trousers underneath are usually optional depending on the weather. Just remeber to packa pair to wear on Sunday when you have to hand you overalls back!

Looking forward to a great weekend. Come say hello.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1407959)   #70
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Really want to go (wrong side of the fence) but with the media screwing up the petrol supplies i daren't.
Hope all goes well for you all.
Next year definitely, probably the correct side of the fence as long as my ASSOCIATES agree.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1408413)   #71
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
Any idea what time Lord March has arranged for the sun to come out, it is piddling down up here in Banburyshire - Balders
Old 15 Sep 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1408440)   #72
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
Any idea what time Lord March has arranged for the sun to come out, it is piddling down up here in Banburyshire - Balders
For Bognor:
http://www.metoffice.com/lib/include...nor_regis.html

Chichester:
http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX0899?x=12&y=7
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1408465)   #73
marcosmantula
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
marcosmantula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Space for a small tent

It looks as though I might not be able to make it down today, at least not in any sort of daylight, so may have to come early tomorrow morning.

Will there still be space in the campsite? or could somebody who hasn't already left keep a space for me?

Cheers,

Neal
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1408474)   #74
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
It's be there for 8.45 tomorrow, and then wall to wall sunshine all weekend long!!!

Only on one year did he get it wrong, and then some (1999!)!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1408480)   #75
NotLordPercy
Racer

Fear not Good Balders..........the weather will be perfect for you to display all your finery whilst flagging like a proverbial dervish!