Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jan 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1506415)   #51
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The winners!!!

Just few minutes ago, at 22:40 (hour of Brazil), the Aston Martin DB9R driven by Hélio Castroneves, Nelson Piquet, Nelsinho Piquet e Christophe Bouchut has won the 34th edition of Mil Milhas Brasileiras, after doing 374 laps in 10h36min38.659s.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1506477)   #52
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After 374 laps the Aston driven by the Piquets, Bouchout and castro-Neves wins the 1000 Milhas, Mercedes DTM in 2nd and Saleen in 3rd
Old 22 Jan 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1506486)   #53
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
Just few minutes ago, at 22:40 (hour of Brazil), the Aston Martin DB9R driven by Hélio Castroneves, Nelson Piquet, Nelsinho Piquet e Christophe Bouchut has won the 34th edition of Mil Milhas Brasileiras, after doing 374 laps in 10h36min38.659s.
That's a great result for Cirtek. I'd love to see that driver combination in the Aston at Le Mans!!
Old 22 Jan 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1506508)   #54
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ive a sneaking suspision that Ortelli will be in that car at Le Mans !
Old 22 Jan 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1506554)   #55
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Did you mean Guillermo Ortelli, the successful Argentinian touring car driver???
Is expected that he will drive with his countryman Ariel Pacho an Aston Martin DBR9 for LeMans this year; is a prize for the champion and vice-champion of Top Race V6 series.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1506585)   #56
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
BTW...the car that Felipe Giaffone is driving, although it is noted as a "ZF - GTP1" I believe is actually an old Riley & Scott Mk.IIIA with a big Chevy V-8 in the back of it...at least that is what he raced in the Mil Milhas last year
Almost that, Tim - and well spot. Actually the Giaffone family bought the rights to locally build a Riley & Scott MkIII replica and modified it (I never saw the car chassis id plate, but they said that). The car was in the pole-position for the last three editions of the Mil Milhas but every year it suffered from major mechanical maladies. This time the engine (a Chevy V8) expired in rather catastrophic manner. A friend of mine was flagging the race at the Senna S and said that the pool of oil was "almost a centimeter deep"...

(I used to be a marshal and tech inspector for the Mil Milhas in the 1980s and 1990s. I miss that a lot...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
I'm sure you've caught the news on DSC by now but it sounds like the Diniz car was having overheating problems with its engine. Now I'm assuming that's a setup issue with their car rather than with the engine itself, because they probably don't really know how to run it well at all yet whereas Cirtek has done two hot Middle East races with theirs, but it didn't state an engine swap had occured yet.

It's incredible that someone could lose a V12 (no spare?) in shipping though. Makes you want to complain less when a parcel gets lost by the postal service!
It seems that they received a sprint-spec engine, not an endurance one. The error was caught sometime ago but it was not possible to correct in time because of the need to assembly a endurance-spec engine and logistics problems (parts, shipping, etc.). It's a pity: it would have been wonderful to have seen both Astons on track - the green one is gorgeous.

Such shipping/logistics problems are bizarrely common in the Mil Milhas. Two years ago Diniz's family Lister Storm could only race for one set of tyres because... that's all they had got! The paper work (importation forms) for the other sets was wrong (goods were was wrongly identified) and they were retained by customs in Brazil. So the team took the car for some very fast laps in Interlagos in the race and then retired it still in pristine conditions...

Indeed the Mil Milhas will open the FIA GT Championship next year - Ratel has confirmed that. Currently the plans are to organize the race two weekends before the 12 Hours of Sebring. They are also considering running it one week after Sebring, but there are complains that this is putting the race "too late in the year", as the Mil Milhas are part of the celebration of the foundation of São Paulo on January 25th, 1554.

I am extremely grateful for all the hard work and money Antonio Hermann is putting in this event to make it internationally known. Back in 1989 Hermann - a banker, then president of the second largest (then) public bank in Brazil and future president of a sizeable private bank - called some business friends in Europe to invite them for the race, starting the international era of the event. Since then he had tried to acquire the rights to run it, but they were in the hands of the Centauro Motor Clube (a rather free-minded organization that was often at odds with the world around it - think of the ACO guys and you have an idea of the political dimensions involved) since the early 1960s and only now Hermann finally managed to obtain them and make his dream - and mine - come true. Good things are ahead.

(The Booooo of the Race Award goes to the Brazilian endurance racing scene, that in its most part chickened out of the race. There are several issues here, including the fact that Hermann is not seen as "one of them" because he his career has not been in this scene and he has international connection. Many people prefer to be a big fish in a small pond rather than swim in the ocean with the sharks. A lot of incorrect stories were spread, and local competitors stayed out as they feared gossips of high registration costs (which were untrue; Hermann lost quite some money in this race and keeping the registration costs artificially low was one of the measures he took to attract more teams) and the maximum qualification threshold imposed for this year's race (that was actually rather "comfortable"). All sorts of excuses were used by teams and drivers that traditionally compete in the Mil Milhas not to make the race - what a shame.)

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1506608)   #57
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you mean Guillermo Ortelli, the successful Argentinian touring car driver???
Judging from 2005, there is only one successful Ortelli in touring cars anyway, and it isn't Stephane.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1506920)   #58
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Is expected that he will drive with his countryman Ariel Pacho an Aston Martin DBR9 for LeMans this year; is a prize for the champion and vice-champion of Top Race V6 series.
Please don't tell me we will have TC2000 stars at Le Mans...are we back at the times of Di Palma-Garcia Veiga and their Daytona 365GTB?????
Old 22 Jan 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1506962)   #59
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Please don't tell me we will have TC2000 stars at Le Mans...are we back at the times of Di Palma-Garcia Veiga and their Daytona 365GTB?????
To be fair, Biela and Capello were touring car jockeys who everyone said would never make decent sportscar drivers... - so was Jo Winkelhock. The Brazilian stockcar guys are doing alright in the Mil Milhas, too. So why not?
Old 23 Jan 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1507073)   #60
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
Indeed the Mil Milhas will open the FIA GT Championship next year - Ratel has confirmed that. Currently the plans are to organize the race two weekends before the 12 Hours of Sebring. They are also considering running it one week after Sebring, but there are complains that this is putting the race "too late in the year", as the Mil Milhas are part of the celebration of the foundation of São Paulo on January 25th, 1554.
If it is changed to March then I suspect it will not be a celebration of the foundation of Sao Paulo anymore... right? Anyway I guess the racers' main concern is that the race is kept alive.

I suspect Ratel will now be heading to the East Coast of North America and tries to close a deal for a race there to be run between the Mil Milhas and the first European race, without clashing with Sebring.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1507299)   #61
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
To be fair, Biela and Capello were touring car jockeys who everyone said would never make decent sportscar drivers... - so was Jo Winkelhock. The Brazilian stockcar guys are doing alright in the Mil Milhas, too. So why not?
Cybersdorf, you're absolutely right, I was just teasing our Argentinian friend. I'd love to see Argentinian teams in Europe like in the 60s early 70s. I think many of their drivers are wasted just running only TC in Argentina and they could do great in FIA-GT or LMS if they have the proper hardware and sponsorship. maybe the 2007 Mil Milhas will be a chance to see some of them in action....
Old 23 Jan 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1507365)   #62
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
or he might try and get a deal to try and run the fia gt in the sebring race as well. that would be ace
Old 24 Jan 2006, 01:36 (Ref:1507765)   #63
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
or he might try and get a deal to try and run the fia gt in the sebring race as well. that would be ace
Is it technically allowed to run FIA GT cars in an ALMS race?

FIA GT1 cars have their performance balancing systems; FIA GT allows Group 2 cars while ALMS GT2 cars have those GT2S cars... wouldn't it be confusing?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1511164)   #64
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I just had a look at the results the last few years, a Porsche 996-GT3 won in 2003, a Viper GTS-R in 2004, and an Audi TT DTM car in 2005.
Where did you find those results?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1511217)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Where did you find those results?
www.milmilhasbrasil.com.br ?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1511271)   #66
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I can't find 2004 nor 2005 results there but maybe it's just me...
Old 29 Jan 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1511414)   #67
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The 2004 and 2005 results are on DSC - the 2003 winner was an ex PK Sport Porsche
Old 29 Jan 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1511509)   #68
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I would have liked to have seen Oscar Larrauri sticking around in the sportscar world a bit longer . He was excellant . He was offered a Joest 962 drive at Le Mans (maybe even for the season if i remember correctly) but turned it down to stay with Brun , 1990 i think it was .
Old 29 Jan 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1511547)   #69
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I would have liked to have seen Oscar Larrauri sticking around in the sportscar world a bit longer . He was excellant . He was offered a Joest 962 drive at Le Mans (maybe even for the season if i remember correctly) but turned it down to stay with Brun , 1990 i think it was .
... but just two years later, there was no sportscar world anymore.