Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1675757)   #51
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done Jenson

I gave up on F1 years ago but we watched the support races this morning and I suspected that the GP just might prove a tad interesting

It was the first F1 race in years that kept me on the edge of my seat and wide awake the whole time. Can we have more races like that one, please?
Old 6 Aug 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1675813)   #52
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When anyone ever wins their first race, whatever the formula, it is still as sweet as winning the championship in the formula you did before the current formula you are currently doing, if you get what I mean.

Our guy won his first race last weekend, and our first in a regional championship but for those who know who exactly I am, it must have been one of the most bitter sweet weekends of racing I have ever had.

We had a difficult qualifying, but our race setup was awsome, and we had the quickest car on track. Our championship rivals fell back by fait. The poleman apparantly 'jumped the start', so was given a 10 sec pen. 2nd place man spun of 3 laps in. 3rd man we were quicker than. 4th place had a spin and we were ahead of him for most of the race.

But I bet the guy who was doing Jenson's pit board must have had the worst of the nerves. I did the pit board for our driver, and you are the one who is looking at your driver the most on the timing screens, and each race last so long as the laps tick over (but not as long as the 1hr 57mins and 70 laps compared to 20mins race!)

I have had congratulations from people in our paddock, and people from other teams, and some people don't know how emotional and great it is when someone does congratulate you after your first victory.

Real congrats to Jenson, like people have said, he kept his cool, didn't make any mistakes, and he was there at the end when the drivers who should have won, didn't. I am a huge believer in the phrase 'in it to win it'.

Last edited by youngoldy; 6 Aug 2006 at 19:27.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1675831)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bit too much 'Oh he was lucky' on this thread. If he had been lucky he would have started from the sharp end not way down the grid. I think he thoughly deserved the win and was closing Alonso down before Alonso went off. I also think he?they made a brave decision on the tyres (i.e. staying on the warn inters until the weather settled) something I am sure Shuey regretted not doing as Massa was 4 seconds quicker on drys.

Odd thing this as well. I have a friend who's surname is Button and he does not look unlike Jenson especially when a young man, may even be a distant relative who knows. Anyhow this guy has always led a charmed and lucky life and we have often joked if he fell in pigs muck he would come out smelling of roses. Now I have not seen this guy for 11 years since he emigrated to the States and he is back here on a visit and came around to my new house for the first time and as he walked in Button crossed the finish line! What a great coincidence.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1675836)   #54
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone (you know who you are) said here some day :

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1675846)   #55
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thrilled to see Jenson win, Well Done!! I was on the edge of my seat for the last laps, during his last pit stop I couldn't bear to watch, just thinking of some of the previous Honda pit stop wobblies. It was just great to hear the British national anthem for the first time as I this is only my third season following F1, here's to plenty more.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1675852)   #56
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too am not a massive Jenson Button fan but today he was abosultely great, drove a cool calm and collected race and had a good strategy and deservedly took the win. Well done Jenson!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1675915)   #57
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This changes everything for Jenson. He's no longer a six-plus-year veteran of Formula 1 with no victories to his credit: he's now a race winner and a third-place finisher in the World Championship at only 26. Hopefully, the sky is the limit (or a legitimate title shot) for him.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1675965)   #58
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers mate ...
Old 6 Aug 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1676020)   #59
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome stuff Jenson. I know I contacted him as I'm in his fan club but anyway...

He must be feeling incredible after finally winning a well and deserved over due win.

Hopefully its the first of many. Hopefully what'll happen will be the same as what'll happen to Mansell. When we saw Nige couldn't stop winning, and was a new driver and came of age. Maybe it'll happen for Jenson. Maybe not.

All I know is, the British interest in F1 should rise again.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1676039)   #60
squarepeg
Rookie

squarepeg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic stuff !!!!! Well done JB
Old 6 Aug 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1676053)   #61
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I, like many others, doubted whether he would ever win a race but I am very glad to see him--and BAR/Honda--finally win. He drove a great race and was quicker than either Alonso or MS.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1676100)   #62
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Sheila

Amen to that.....

Nite

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Well done Jenson

I gave up on F1 years ago but we watched the support races this morning and I suspected that the GP just might prove a tad interesting

It was the first F1 race in years that kept me on the edge of my seat and wide awake the whole time. Can we have more races like that one, please?
Old 7 Aug 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1676105)   #63
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Our Nige"

has always had a tendency to put his foot in it.....

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
James Hunt always said when he got the first win, knowing he could do it took the pressure off and the second and subsequent ones came more easily. I suspect that jensen will now follow this pattern. Congrats Jenson great to have another engish winner. Nigel Mansell is looking a bit sick now having called him an over paid failure this week.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1676106)   #64
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Jenson & everyone at Honda.

Certainly takes some pressure off Fry & Co, it's been a long time since we heard those 2 anthems.

Congrats to Pedro for his first podium & BMW too although they have to teach that German kid some manners.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1676119)   #65
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woooooooooooooooooo

get in jenson

i've watched him from formula ford since i worked for team dfr on the vauxhall jrns. brilliant.

jenson we love u.

i'm so drunk!
Old 7 Aug 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1676177)   #66
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My turn! CONGRATS TO JENSON! winning his virgin F1 race, and it must have been some time!

And to win the unique Hungary anniversary trophy must be a sweet touch.

Jenson has displayed his speed and talent, although often people doubt that he's a match to Alonso/Kimi. Well, it doesn't matter. He's now a winner, and rightly so.

Too bad Alonso didn't stay on track long enough, and his first race win see all other major names drop out. But still, he kept it on track when everyone else didnt...so it's all that matters!

Honda pips Toyota to the top spot. Must be some motivation for the boys, and a deserved reward for the upward improvement we saw in recent races.

Winning the first win for Jenson and Honda would be great boost, and from here on, i think there would be a new found self belief to propel them further. Great stuff.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1676187)   #67
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoorah Honda!

YEA BUTTON!

Jeremy Clarkson must have a nice smile on his face right now. Probably gonna see a lot more F1 drivers in the reasonably priced car now...good luck charm for your first win
Old 7 Aug 2006, 03:40 (Ref:1676188)   #68
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes congrads to Jenson -- And Honda still has a way to go but this is a start --- The main problem for Jenson though is clearly the level of competition --- Schumi - Alonso - Kimi -- is he that quality of driver -- I think he may just be a tick off of those guys in talent -- That notwithsdanding -- a well deserved team victory -- and who know's, maybe with the relief that has to come with this first win, he may end up being quicker than ever, perhaps just as quick as the aforementioned drivers. It will be fun to see how aggressive he is in the next few races.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 7 Aug 2006 at 03:44.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1676212)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Too bad Alonso didn't stay on track long enough, and his first race win see all other major names drop out. But still, he kept it on track when everyone else didnt...so it's all that matters!
It was too bad Alonso didn't stay on track.

However, Michael was on track, driving badly, and Kimi decided to try and drive over the top of Liuzzi, Fisi was....Fisi, so it's not as if it was a case of everyone dropping out with mechanical failures.

So yes, agree with that last line.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1676226)   #70
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker

I can't beleive it. My team and one of my drivers has finally won a race. I stated following F1 in 2003 and I have never seen my team or any of my drivers win a race. This is a first for me.That was a geat race. It was probably the best race I have seen.

Congratulations to Button for his first win and the new BAR/Honda teams first win.

Last edited by mabs_nsx; 7 Aug 2006 at 05:49.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1676241)   #71
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done JB. Can't think of a guy more deserving.

Now all I want is Webber to win!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 7 Aug 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1676266)   #72
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Done!!!

Never been a big fan!! but that drive today was magic!! well done Kid :-)

Just need to stop the mouth and display more driving like that!

10/10

At last we have a winning driver :-) :-) :-)

BTW Sundays race was great!! we need more rain!
Old 7 Aug 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1676445)   #73
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be rather ironic if we look back at this season an remember the best and most entertaining grand prix was the hungarian! That's F1 for you. Anything can happen, some times.