Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1961975)   #51
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So it's suddenly been homoglized? I was told that Dodge had no interest in FIA or ACO? I guess the times are changing
Old 12 Jul 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1961976)   #52
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster
By the looks of it, Dodge is in the form of sponsorship, something like a Dodge Dealers type of situation.

I could be wrong though.
Woodhouse Performance is closely associated with the Woodhouse dealer network, so it isn't Dodge that sponsors them, it is a private dealer network.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 23:33 (Ref:1962033)   #53
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
So it's suddenly been homoglized?
The car has not been homologated.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1962041)   #54
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
How can it run in GT2 then?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1962044)   #55
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
How can it run in GT2 then?
IMSA Super Sport (S2) category, just like the BMW's ran last year. (who were also not homologated cars.)
Old 13 Jul 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1962046)   #56
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Special permission by IMSA.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1962049)   #57
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Why exactly weren't the M3s homologated?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 02:14 (Ref:1962069)   #58
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Why exactly weren't the M3s homologated?
I don't believe a formal statement was ever issued on this topic.

My opinion is that BWM didn't want to bother with the homologation process, as the car only had one year left anyway.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 03:04 (Ref:1962078)   #59
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Woodhouse Performance is closely associated with the Woodhouse dealer network, so it isn't Dodge that sponsors them, it is a private dealer network.
The press statement contains a couple of oblique references to Dodge and Dodge Motorsport. I am with you in thinking that this is not a factory-supported endeavour in any way, shape or form, but I'd imagine that the reality is that the factory is keeping an eye on what happens, perhaps with an eye towards some limited support in the future. That could maybe just be in the form of Mopar sponsorship or something like that.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 03:23 (Ref:1962085)   #60
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I don't believe a formal statement was ever issued on this topic.

My opinion is that BWM didn't want to bother with the homologation process, as the car only had one year left anyway.
But people have raced non-GTR M3s before, were they not homologated then as well?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 04:22 (Ref:1962101)   #61
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
The press statement contains a couple of oblique references to Dodge and Dodge Motorsport. I am with you in thinking that this is not a factory-supported endeavour in any way, shape or form, but I'd imagine that the reality is that the factory is keeping an eye on what happens, perhaps with an eye towards some limited support in the future. That could maybe just be in the form of Mopar sponsorship or something like that.
So this statement in the article at DSC is incorrect? quote:
Quote:
Woodhouse Performance expects to be the vehicle to provide valuable information to Dodge Motorsports in order to help determine the competitiveness of the race-ready Dodge Viper that has been in existence for the last four years,’ says the statement.

Or this one from the ALMS? quote:
Quote:
The venture is a collaboration of efforts that combines the common curiosity of Dodge, KUMHO Tires and Woodhouse Performance to discover the capability of the Viper within the premium brand of motorsports. It will go head-to-head with other elite GT2 manufacturers such as Ferrari, Porsche and Panoz.

L.P.

Old 13 Jul 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1962118)   #62
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both statements are incorrect!!!! There is nothing stating that Dodge is not supporting them!!!! Yeah!!!!

Seriously, arguing semantics on sports car racing topics is getting old

I would be surprised to see the team within 2 seconds of the slowest regular GT2 entrant.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1962313)   #63
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
But people have raced non-GTR M3s before, were they not homologated then as well?
If I recall correctly, there were some variances over previous cars, and running in the S2 category gave them the capability for adjustments to make them more competitive. (in theory).
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1962508)   #64
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come on, Horndawg, you know as well as I do that information can be provided and nothing done with it, or that toe-in-the-water plans can come to naught [queue factory Lexus theme music]! The amount of Dodge badging on the car is impressive, but there are lots of well-badged cars that don't receive enough tangible factory support from the manufacturer. They've got decent drivers and a decent team, but I admit that I would have expected Dodge to utilize both drivers and team with ALMS or similar experience.

I'd like nothing more than a factory-backed Viper program but I'm not going to hold my breath. Nor am I saying anyone is lying, but having spin is practically the definition of a press release. Maybe I've just been infected with the cynicism of TWK (with absolutely no offense intended). Let us just hope they get the info they want.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1962600)   #65
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
They didn't specifically state it wasn't a toe in the water for a new LMP program either.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:30 (Ref:1962674)   #66
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Come on, Horndawg, you know as well as I do that information can be provided and nothing done with it, or that toe-in-the-water plans can come to naught [queue factory Lexus theme music]! The amount of Dodge badging on the car is impressive, but there are lots of well-badged cars that don't receive enough tangible factory support from the manufacturer. They've got decent drivers and a decent team, but I admit that I would have expected Dodge to utilize both drivers and team with ALMS or similar experience.

I'd like nothing more than a factory-backed Viper program but I'm not going to hold my breath. Nor am I saying anyone is lying, but having spin is practically the definition of a press release. Maybe I've just been infected with the cynicism of TWK (with absolutely no offense intended). Let us just hope they get the info they want.
I would agree with everything that you say here, except for one sentence!
(an aside)
The Dodge vs Dodge dealers (sponsorship) supposed semantic disagreement by some, is a very important distinction (yes the meaning of words are important when that is the medium being used to communicate)!

In essence the distinction is that Dodge, even if they do not sponsor anyone outright or minimally, needs to be involved in the "possible" homologation of an ACO spec car, GT-2 or any other. And to this point they have not shown any outright interest in doing so (that I know of) for a current (new) car. So actually having Dodge named in reputable places in an exploratory venture in an ACO spec series is a reason (to me at least) to have hope that another Marque (and American to boot) may actually be on the horizon. Also in this is the Oreca connection and the possible market they would have with an ACO legal GT-2 car! If you wish to be cynical about it, that is your choice but not mine! And quite frankly, I am getting a little tired of the pessimists trying to take a leak on my Wheaties!!!

L.P.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1962676)   #67
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
They didn't specifically state it wasn't a toe in the water for a new LMP program either.
But don't give up your day job!

L.P.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1962762)   #68
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
If you wish to be cynical about it, that is your choice but not mine! And quite frankly, I am getting a little tired of the pessimists trying to take a leak on my Wheaties!!!
Ease up. It's quite easy to be cynical having watched this series for any length of time. We see lots of promises and great intentions every year. Well I appologize for this, but so what! Intentions mean nothing until they become a reality.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1962901)   #69
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when Dr. Z was interviewed at a NASCAR race last year saying that Dodge was commited to NASCAR as rumors were flying around that an auto maker was leaving.

Why stay in NASCAR with its move to spec cars now? Come back to 'GT2'
Old 16 Jul 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1964002)   #70
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
Dodge has a long-term commitment to NASCAR and they will not be leaving any time soon, unless something very drastic happens. And with their new owners, I doubt that they will try to start any new racing programs.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 07:51 (Ref:1964143)   #71
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
For the simple reason that people watch it. It has been practically spec. cars for ages and they have stayed.

I think manufacturers often think in the terms of NASCAR as a separate thing to a motorsport programme. If you see what I mean.

Rumours that a Viper may race in a Le Mans series again does at least indicate that there is a desire for it to happen. I would love it too. I wait for more news with interest...
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1967239)   #72
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm.

When Racing Box come out to play in FIA GT or LMS with it, then I'm interested. Until then...
Old 20 Jul 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1968508)   #73
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's a GO!

confirmation, baby!

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=3386

and they have been doing testing for this weekend's race at Mid-Ohio.

http://www.speedarena.com/news/publi...cle_8050.shtml

should be a surprise for the Ferraris and Porsches.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1968515)   #74
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
I hope they will repaint the car before the race. I really hate that paint job.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:25 (Ref:1968539)   #75
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Looks pretty good IMO!

Images from ALMS news

L.P.