Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Jan 2016, 00:47 (Ref:3604902)   #726
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
They pay him a regular wage, and he tows the company line.

Drivers are a very disposal element in racing and unlike regular works places, then to get dismissed much quicker.
I think Terry was referring to the allegations/rumours/scuttlebutt of alleged indiscretions by Mr Hackett, and if they were true why would Mercedes be associated with him. Pretty fair question I'd have thought.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 02:57 (Ref:3604914)   #727
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yeah - completely agree and was thinking the same thing after I posted. SBR was a very capable team organisation and it is a very great shame that Erebus has decimated the original organisation it bought.

I don't know where the fault in that lies - with the owner or maybe with the supposedly capable management that was working for her but regardless of who is to blame, it is really sad to see a top-level operation such as SBR and all the capability within it urinated away in such a short period of time.
Isn't this similar to what the Kelly's have done to Perkins Engineering ??? Taken a pretty successful team, Injected more money, people and manufacturer dollars (not in erebus' case) and gone backwards. I think the Kelly's are just lucky Erebus are around or the heat would we well an truely on them.

Last edited by Trev Campbell; 15 Jan 2016 at 03:10.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 04:38 (Ref:3604924)   #728
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Isn't this similar to what the Kelly's have done to Perkins Engineering ??? Taken a pretty successful team, Injected more money, people and manufacturer dollars (not in erebus' case) and gone backwards. I think the Kelly's are just lucky Erebus are around or the heat would we well an truely on them.
The Kelly slide has certainly not been as steep as the Erebus slide but you do have a point. Personally I'm not surprised where the Kelly cars sit in the field as their positions are largely similar to where they've been for years now - certainly in a similar position to where they were before the Nissan change.

It has to be said that PE was not as strong as it once was when sold (but then neither was SBR). The big difference to me is that in the case of Erebus, a fully going concern with full developmental workshop and seperate engine facility was bought and has now been left behind for a rented, bare shed.

At least in the Kelly case they have all the developmental gear, engineering setup etc - regardless of how good a job is being done with all that gear.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 06:00 (Ref:3604932)   #729
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Also allegedly threw the AusGT championship a few years back, hence the tension.
Source? Details?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 06:58 (Ref:3604942)   #730
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The issue may have been more one of supply than price. 888 seem to be able to sell everything they build (and more) while WP has probably 3 chassis left over from last year...
+ lee holdsworth and craig lowndes in 888 cars this year 888 may not have had any more spare
Old 15 Jan 2016, 07:41 (Ref:3604958)   #731
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Source? Details?

Would like to know more about this also. That's some serious allegations there.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3604985)   #732
GeoffR
Rookie

GeoffR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Would like to know more about this also. That's some serious allegations there.
Is it the last GT Championship round at SMSP, and associated accident(s), that is being alluded to here?

Interview with P Hackett in regard to that meeting:

http://www.racerviews.com/2012/12/06...ost-the-title/
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3604990)   #733
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The Erebus Way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Is it the last GT Championship round at SMSP, and associated accident(s), that is being alluded to here?

Interview with P Hackett in regard to that meeting:

http://www.racerviews.com/2012/12/06...ost-the-title/

That was at Sydney but not at the Creek, it was at the street race at Homebush. I remember that weekend with Hackett crashing-but I mostly remember how good Schneider was, he was on another level to everyone else. Brilliant. Utterly brilliant.

This is the first I've heard about these allegations, I just assumed he was dumped by Erebus because he lost the championship and they wanted someone more reliable.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3605271)   #734
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what has he done since really? if he has all this skill why isnt he in this years field, or last years or 2014?

lots of smoke

raced with erebus at 2013 bathurst after the accident
Old 16 Jan 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3605280)   #735
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Erebus going to put the safety cell seat out of the Mercs in the Commodores?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3605319)   #736
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
what has he done since really? if he has all this skill why isnt he in this years field, or last years or 2014?

lots of smoke

raced with erebus at 2013 bathurst after the accident
Loud noises of his impending departure prior to the 2013 B12HR.

Whatever the root cause of the issue - that wasn't a comfortable weekend for either party.

What opportunities has he had Pecky? Understanding that he could only really race Mercs?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3605322)   #737
Langers
Veteran

I must say, I've never really understood the story with canardly / hollywood. He is clearly not a top tier talent, nor a self funded gentleman racer. What's the deal? Third or fourth tier talent who races occasionally to keep skills sharp for instructing? Or was he a racer first and instructor second?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3605323)   #738
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Loud noises of his impending departure prior to the 2013 B12HR.

Whatever the root cause of the issue - that wasn't a comfortable weekend for either party.

What opportunities has he had Pecky? Understanding that he could only really race Mercs?
Its been 3 years, Surely if he was any good the merc link should have got him a drive somewhere. But it hasnt until now.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 11:41 (Ref:3605324)   #739
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't happening already, that an Erebus/SBR developed engine may taking shape, in much the same way FPR took over the UK sourced Prodrive grenades. I'm not suggesting Erebus take over the engine program, but the resources should be there to knock one up the Erebus and PW way if he is still there. There is a lot of world class knowhow in SBR and Aus on how to extract circuit ponies from 5 litres.

Somehow I reckon the outright numbers or the curves may not be the problem, as AMG would have had full engine profile targets in developing these powerpacks. It only takes a small delivery problem to consistently knock hundredths out of each straight, which quickly accumulate into tenths on the lap timer.

Erebus will be ok.
Aside from the last line.. i want this poster to pick my lotto numbers.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3605332)   #740
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its been 3 years, Surely if he was any good the merc link should have got him a drive somewhere. But it hasnt until now.
Where would Merc have got him a drive in Australia?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3605509)   #741
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I must say, I've never really understood the story with canardly / hollywood. He is clearly not a top tier talent, nor a self funded gentleman racer. What's the deal? Third or fourth tier talent who races occasionally to keep skills sharp for instructing? Or was he a racer first and instructor second?
As I previously posted, he is an Aust F3 champion and twice Aust GT champion.

How can you describe such a person as a "third or fourth tier talent"?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:09 (Ref:3605515)   #742
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
As I previously posted, he is an Aust F3 champion and twice Aust GT champion.

How can you describe such a person as a "third or fourth tier talent"?
he is not an Aust GT champion. as near as i can work out he was runner up in 2012 his best result, a year in which only 6 drivers competed the whole season

has no gt starts since 2013 and his Aus F3 championship was 15 years ago (5 drivers completed every round, none of gone on to greater success)

third or forth tier seems about right
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:29 (Ref:3605518)   #743
D.R.T.
Veteran

Expert driver ratings from peckstar

Hackett isn't Daniel Riccardo however he is a strong Silver type driver who more than earns a spot on most grids in Australia
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:34 (Ref:3605521)   #744
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With seat time, he'd be reasonably competitive.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:42 (Ref:3605526)   #745
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Hackett isn't Daniel Riccardo however he is a strong Silver type driver who more than earns a spot on most grids in Australia
he earns a spot on "most grids in Australia", except he is not on any grids, Not even 2016 bathurst 12 hour race (currently). Has a massive level of demand

and DRT support your case instead of ridiculous broad statements

Think there a couple of people on here who have blind lover for him and should really pass on why they have it

David Wall is a two times Aust GT champion and much maligned on this forum, he has a 12 hour drive and a silver ranking as well, Hackett competed but never beat Wall in the championship

Last edited by peckstar; 17 Jan 2016 at 03:49.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3605527)   #746
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
With seat time, he'd be reasonably competitive.
With seat time you would be reasonable competitive, just got to get a seat first (same as me and Peter)
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:52 (Ref:3605532)   #747
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:

Underestimate Pecky at your own peril, he's an experienced 'team manager', how do you think he comes up with these pearls of wisdom?

Hackett is no hack, he's no Alan Simonsen either as he found out when they shared a car lol (may he RIP). You could do far worse then have him as a pro in a pro am driver pairing though. Bit surprised we haven't seen him in Aus GT since but maybe it's by choice?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3605558)   #748
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Underestimate Pecky at your own peril, he's an experienced 'team manager', how do you think he comes up with these pearls of wisdom?

Hackett is no hack, he's no Alan Simonsen either as he found out when they shared a car lol (may he RIP). You could do far worse then have him as a pro in a pro am driver pairing though. Bit surprised we haven't seen him in Aus GT since but maybe it's by choice?
he's silver, therefore an am. he's not a pro.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 05:03 (Ref:3605571)   #749
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
he's silver, therefore an am. he's not a pro.

Silver or not, he was a pro when he last raced in Aus GT/Nations Cup. I certainly wouldn't label him an amateur therefore he's a pro in my eyes.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3605576)   #750
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Silver or not, he was a pro when he last raced in Aus GT/Nations Cup. I certainly wouldn't label him an amateur therefore he's a pro in my eyes.
Im not labeling him an amatuer, the rules do.

how you determine him is irrelevant