Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Sep 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3999576)   #7576
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It is a shame, because onboard cameras really helped the BTCC grow in popularity. It does feel there is something missing as a result and also it doesn't give another angle, if the outside camera missed a certain incident, for us to see
more of a shame that they can’t improve the tv product for when the majority of folk are sat at home rather than watching it trackside. instead we get an inferior product due to regulations that are both sensible and wtf at the same time.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3999579)   #7577
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be honest; I hadn't noticed the onboard shots were missing at all.

The commentary, camera positioning and direction all seems to be much of a muchness with previous seasons to me - largely very good, but stuff still occasionally gets missed and there are those annoying, but understandable, moments where the broadcast coverage switches to watch a car taking the flag when there's a 95-way battle going on through the last two or three corners!

I'm completely accepting of that though, as broadcast telly still only has the one screen and the winner of the race is at that point the most important shot of all.

What I'm definitely not missing is the cut-to-angry-faces-in-garage-with-stressed-and-upset-family-in-the-background shots. Give me racing!
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3999580)   #7578
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It is a shame, because onboard cameras really helped the BTCC grow in popularity. It does feel there is something missing as a result and also it doesn't give another angle, if the outside camera missed a certain incident, for us to see
But to be fair, this could only be captured by one of the four cars carrying cameras that weekend...
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3999583)   #7579
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There seemed to be more than four cars with cameras in the past, although I never kept a track on which cars had cameras
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3999584)   #7580
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I have always preferred cameras facing forwards, where you can see the driver, the steering wheel and the front windscreen. All too often now the cameras have such a limiting view, you tend to either get a reverse full shot of the driver in his seat or just a full front windscreen shot. I really miss seeing shots of the road ahead and seeing the drivers actually working away at the wheel, shots like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul8SyAu8jEU
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:20 (Ref:3999590)   #7581
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'll be honest; I hadn't noticed the onboard shots were missing at all.

The commentary, camera positioning and direction all seems to be much of a muchness with previous seasons to me - largely very good, but stuff still occasionally gets missed and there are those annoying, but understandable, moments where the broadcast coverage switches to watch a car taking the flag when there's a 95-way battle going on through the last two or three corners!

I'm completely accepting of that though, as broadcast telly still only has the one screen and the winner of the race is at that point the most important shot of all.

What I'm definitely not missing is the cut-to-angry-faces-in-garage-with-stressed-and-upset-family-in-the-background shots. Give me racing!
Except Harvey's comms seem to be riddled with mistakes - for example "Jackson will be OK its a left hand drive car"... still at least I wasn't the Dan Cammish show
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:56 (Ref:3999606)   #7582
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that it’s great not getting views of people in the garages when there action on track being missed.

There certainly has been a few more mistakes coming from Tim and David in commentary this year
Old 2 Sep 2020, 11:25 (Ref:3999612)   #7583
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The standard of ITV4’s coverage has always been great and it’s credit to them they are able to continue to deliver in different circumstances
Old 2 Sep 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3999644)   #7584
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also miss the onboards - it adds another level to the excitement of the races, you get a better feel for how close these guys are to each other. It would show off how much work Sutton is putting in trying to keep that car on the black stuff
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3999660)   #7585
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I agree that it’s great not getting views of people in the garages when there action on track being missed.

There certainly has been a few more mistakes coming from Tim and David in commentary this year
David's brilliant. Tim seems to struggle at points.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3999661)   #7586
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Yes, agreed!
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3999664)   #7587
S griffin
Veteran

I am glad they don’t have the constant swaps to faces in the garages anymore, although I don’t think they’ve done it much in recent seasons.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 19:23 (Ref:3999697)   #7588
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see Bushell might do Thruxton with PMR as well now (TCT). Hope he is able to, he show pace in both his outings so far!
Old 3 Sep 2020, 07:25 (Ref:3999740)   #7589
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There is more than enough frequency available to broadcast from more than four cars - as seen with the typical 24-camera setup at a football fixture.

When Cloudbass moved to HD coverage for the BTCC, their supplier Videosys opted for Cobham Broadcast’s Solo 4 HD TX transmitter and PRORXB eight-way receiver/decoder unit. Videosys devised new onboard camera transmission systems for four BTCC cars, two support cars, four pit lane cameras and one pit lane return vision monitor
A typical 24 camera football match will have 22 of those cameras cabled, and you'd only be using RF frequencies for the two running the sideline.

The lack of available frequencies means even the nine RF devices that are used on BTCC are split across two different bands.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 08:16 (Ref:3999749)   #7590
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Interesting to see Bushell might do Thruxton with PMR as well now (TCT). Hope he is able to, he show pace in both his outings so far!
Also interesting that they had an exciting driver line up to be revealed as the season goes on, but all of a sudden Bushell could be back in the car 🤔 I wonder if anyone else is actually committed to the drive?
Old 3 Sep 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3999761)   #7591
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
David's brilliant. Tim seems to struggle at points.
David is brilliant until your realise that half of his commentary is him asking himself a question, and then answering it.

Turkington is on the inside of Cammish, can he get through? Yes he can.

Neal is behind Jelly, can he pass without contact? No he cannot.

Oliphant is in the lead, has the gap increased? Yes it has.

Now that I have noticed it, can I un-notice it? No I can't.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3999768)   #7592
S griffin
Veteran

Quite a few commentators have done that. I don’t see much wrong with it
Old 3 Sep 2020, 11:00 (Ref:3999776)   #7593
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Also interesting that they had an exciting driver line up to be revealed as the season goes on, but all of a sudden Bushell could be back in the car 🤔 I wonder if anyone else is actually committed to the drive?
if they were, you’d not say someone else was going to have the drive unless you were maybe trying to pressure the unknown party into commiting rather than flirting with another team...
Old 3 Sep 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3999777)   #7594
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
David is brilliant until your realise that half of his commentary is him asking himself a question, and then answering it.
You're not wrong, but have you ever tried talking for a solid 30 minutes about one thing, without repeating yourself? Especially when there may be periods when nothing interesting is going on. It's no mean feat and all commentators have their own little book of backup phrases. Drink every time David says 'timing line' or 'to the good'...

Tough job, and I know Tim gets a lot of stick on here, but it's not easy being entertaining and descriptive and informative all at the same time!
Old 3 Sep 2020, 11:05 (Ref:3999780)   #7595
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoy the commentary team. Tim is knowledgeable and no mean driver so I value his insights even if sometimes he is off base.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3999819)   #7596
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
You're not wrong, but have you ever tried talking for a solid 30 minutes about one thing, without repeating yourself? Especially when there may be periods when nothing interesting is going on. It's no mean feat and all commentators have their own little book of backup phrases. Drink every time David says 'timing line' or 'to the good'...

Tough job, and I know Tim gets a lot of stick on here, but it's not easy being entertaining and descriptive and informative all at the same time!
I think they are both good, and I certainly don't want to come across like I am being critical. But can I listen to the commentary without noticing the questions? No, I can't.

It is a modern phenomenon that commentators feel that they cannot leave even a small gap in the dialogue. Go back and watch old TV football commentary from back in the 60s or 70s, and you will notice that the commentator does not feel the need to speak all of the time, and was it worse as a result? We can see what is happening on screen after all.

Last edited by steve_r; 3 Sep 2020 at 13:45.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3999831)   #7597
S griffin
Veteran

I do hope Bushell is able to be back for Thruxton. It would be a massive shame after the pace he showed at Knockhill to not get another chance, especially is he is now the only person not to score
Old 3 Sep 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3999851)   #7598
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
He must have a shiny new money tree sprouted if he is back, another meeting fee on top of the big bottle of T-Cut. The previous money tree was a bit #HARD up.

Be good if he is, nice lad and decent racer.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3999862)   #7599
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I read that in David's voice and I will now feel the urge to point it out every single time I'm watching races to whoever is unfortunate enough to be with me at the time.

Thanks a lot Steve !
Old 3 Sep 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3999865)   #7600
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:

Haha very true!