Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Mar 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3722877)   #7626
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Any reason as to why Black, Red and White are so popular?
In Porsche's case:

The white are the German racing colors (Along with silver)
Old 31 Mar 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3722905)   #7627
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
-The side pods/rear fenders seem very much like an idea based on the 2017 R18 RP7 mockup model
-The larger bulbous front fenders for LM that Audi was criticized for last year
-The integrated mirrors into the fenders

That's what I meant anyways. The 919 has never pushed the boundaries in terms of progressive shapes, etc. and to me it looks like the old 919 mixed with Audi aero bits on all but the nose/wing endplates

Just my opinion and I quite like this 919 a lot
Well, the sidepods are raised this year on both cars because of a regulation change. The big front fenders has been in play since the wide front tires were trialed by the hpd. And the mirrors in the fenders is not originally an Audi idea. But I guess they look alike. But imo all lmp's look alike in a way.

Too bad the colors are the same, but it's a minor issue to me. Both companies have the same colors. Toyota has red, so does Porsche! And so does Honda, so does Nissan, so does Audi and on and on.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3722912)   #7628
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Red has aggressive and by extension sporty connotations. White and black provide good contrast.

Kawasaki green came to be just because they lacked an established image and the US sales manager convinced them it would stick out.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3722924)   #7629
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Well, the sidepods are raised this year on both cars because of a regulation change. The big front fenders has been in play since the wide front tires were trialed by the hpd. And the mirrors in the fenders is not originally an Audi idea. But I guess they look alike. But imo all lmp's look alike in a way.

Too bad the colors are the same, but it's a minor issue to me. Both companies have the same colors. Toyota has red, so does Porsche! And so does Honda, so does Nissan, so does Audi and on and on.
I understand this, but your not seeing what I'm referring to. I know about the "wider" front fenders from the HPD days, but that it totally different than unusually large front overhangs in front of the wheels that slant inward at the bottom to send air around the car. (The original 919 had a variation, but not with that large of an overhang)

The rear fenders/side pods mimicking an F1 car with the curved leading edge is also what I was referring to.

This seems like a banter of back and forth, but I can't see how anyone can deny the significant change this 919 went through and that some influence from Ingolstadt isn't present.

Old 1 Apr 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3722941)   #7630
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Porsche sound too confident for Silverstone:https://twitter.com/fia
Old 1 Apr 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3723017)   #7631
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
According to Kota Sera blog,
"bump" of side pod of Porsche 919 is something to improve the rear aero efficiency.
http://serakota.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-04-01-1
Old 1 Apr 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3723018)   #7632
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Black, red and white, besides, are common colours for autosport magazines. Only "Motorsport Magazine" and ancient "Auto Hebdo" have different colour scheme. Maybe they think that this combination is most memorable. But in fact yellow and orange are colours that etch into memory better. If I have had a racing team then I'd use orange and ehhm black and white.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3723028)   #7633
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When the new 911 came out with their new livery, it made sense to many of us that the 919 was going to get the same livery.

I like the livery. I just think the 919 got uglier. I remember a fan art someone made back in Jan or Feb of the new livery on the 2016 919 and it looked absolutely fantastic!

The livery works on the 911 because it is for the most part flat. Whereas the 2017 919 isn't, especially at the front. The black section is way too large because the front lights are absolutely massive this year compared to last year. And the nose seems much "deeper" this year compared to last year. I think it would have looked much better if the red line cut through the front lights, similar to the 911.

As for Toyota, I wish they went with red, blue, or black as their primary colour instead of white. But they are using the Gazoo colours.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3723039)   #7634
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If Porsche run their low downforce kit at Silverstone, I wouldn't be to confident, because Silverstone is one of the most downforce dependent tracks in the WEC.

Granted, right now, Porsche and Toyota seem equal with their LM kits.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3723046)   #7635
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Based on today's times, it looks like it may be a long season for Porsche and their fans.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3723053)   #7636
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
You also said that in '15 and '16 and Porsche dominated the win column, though in '16 a lot of those wins and even their drivers' championship was luck enhanced. Unless Toyota have something up their sleeve, though it's early, I think that Porsche should be easily be competitive.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3723056)   #7637
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Granted, as I said that session 2 times came in with one Toyota ahead of the other and both Porsche's by about a second.

I'll bet the results of Silverstone will probably hinge on luck and what aero kit Porsche runs. With Silverstone being a high downforce track and the times being close today, Toyota might have forced Porsche's hands into an early adoption of the sprint body kit.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3723063)   #7638
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't know what you're getting at, but both of them ran the low d/f car today. If they are off the pace with it, they best get more running with it so by Le Mans it's faster.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3723068)   #7639
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
You also said that in '15 and '16 and Porsche dominated the win column, though in '16 a lot of those wins and even their drivers' championship was luck enhanced. Unless Toyota have something up their sleeve, though it's early, I think that Porsche should be easily be competitive.
Why would I say that in 15 &16? They were the fastest in the Prologues.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3723078)   #7640
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Yet in terms of speed Audi curb stomped them after LM last year and won Silverstone on the road. Even Toyota got the best of Porsche on at least one occasion last year, and became a big threat to them after Le Mans (and at Le Mans and Spa). And Toyota still have a newer car that in theory has more development potential even with the "gentleman's agreement".
Old 1 Apr 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3723079)   #7641
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I don't know what you're getting at, but both of them ran the low d/f car today. If they are off the pace with it, they best get more running with it so by Le Mans it's faster.
You do seem to be forgetting that I'm talking about Silverstone. And the fact that I think that Porsche will be screwed if they run their low downforce car on a high downforce track, especially as Toyota plan on running their high downforce car there.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3723092)   #7642
TF110
Veteran

United States
It's one race. After Le Mans, they have 6 rounds to perfect their high downforce car that might have more development put into it than the Toyota. It's a trade off.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3723099)   #7643
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
After last year, between early problems and the #2 team's slump after Le Mans, I don't think that Porsche can afford to give up anything. Especially since Toyota will be competitive out of the box if Prologue times are anything to go by. Any points they give up by running the "wrong" aero kit at Silverstone could be extremely hard to gain back later, even if they're racing two other cars instead of four.

And I wouldn't bet money on Toyota being the hard luck team again this year, be it LM or anywhere else. I think that Porsche need to maximize every opportunity they get.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3723100)   #7644
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Times seem to have tightened up again.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3723304)   #7645
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I think Porsche will start this championship with a 9 point deficit. Things look complicated.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3723329)   #7646
TF110
Veteran

United States
They have time to get the car faster. Both of them looked pretty even on the long runs. At least with the low downforce package they will have a top speed advantage over Toyota. That turned out to be a good race in 2015.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3723376)   #7647
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Red has aggressive and by extension sporty connotations. White and black provide good contrast.

Kawasaki green came to be just because they lacked an established image and the US sales manager convinced them it would stick out.
I get the idea but if everyone uses a similar scheme, it lacks originality.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3723391)   #7648
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I get the idea but if everyone uses a similar scheme, it lacks originality.
I concur, and the impact is highlighted by the fact that there are only 2 teams in the division. If Porsche and Toyota were only 2 teams out of 10 it would be a different story.

But when we get down to it, these are spectacular machines we are lucky to see, and if the colors they paint them is the biggest thing we have to talk about we are pretty lucky. .
Old 3 Apr 2017, 02:16 (Ref:3723396)   #7649
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I concur, and the impact is highlighted by the fact that there are only 2 teams in the division. If Porsche and Toyota were only 2 teams out of 10 it would be a different story.

But when we get down to it, these are spectacular machines we are lucky to see, and if the colors they paint them is the biggest thing we have to talk about we are pretty lucky. .
For sure. But I like the new Porsche livery a lot. Toyota is a problem though. They should be either all red or go back to the old blue. Maybe they will change before Le Mans.

Go Porsche!
Old 3 Apr 2017, 03:16 (Ref:3723404)   #7650
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
For sure. But I like the new Porsche livery a lot. Toyota is a problem though. They should be either all red or go back to the old blue. Maybe they will change before Le Mans.

Go Porsche!
I'm sorry but surely Toyota isn't the problem here...Porsche knew Toyota's livery since last year! (plus they saw it back in Aragon in Feb)