Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4055214)   #751
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
My one and only Le Mans was 2019 and that was BY FAR the most crowded motor racing event I have been at, including the Silverstone F1 GP. The grandstands are small and packed. Moving around during the first few hours is a densely packed shuffle. Fans are 5 deep around some of the fences. There's little space on the grass banks. I found it very uncomfortable even then - as of now, it is inconceivable that the authorities will allow it.
If you thought that was crowded, you should have been there in the late 80's when Jaguar were doing well.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 8 Jun 2021 at 08:39.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4055217)   #752
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
If you thought that was crowded, you should have been there in the late 80's when Jaguar were doing well.
Yes I've heard the stories! The crowd in 2019 was also stated to be several tens of thousands below capacity. I have no idea where the rest would fit!

Having said that...pre-dawn until lunchtime on Sunday the place was wonderfully, spookily deserted. That was a wonderful experience.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 08:42 (Ref:4055260)   #753
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I was there in the Jag years. Funnily enough, I'm currently updating my 1999 'story' in which I mention the press of bodies around the Maison Blanche (now Raccordement) grandstand. Even though it's 22 years ago, I remember it well, as it was the only time I've been stuck in a large crowd of bodies, some stationary watching the race at the fencing (5-6 deep) and others trying to get past - in both directions - where I've felt seriously uncomfortable. There is a lot of space at Le Mans, but certain parts, the grandstand and 'tribunes' areas in particular, do get seriously crowded. That, obviously, can't be allowed to happen in August.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:12 (Ref:4055266)   #754
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Agreed, i remember the late eighties and the excitement in the densely packed area's for the start and finish, over the years my desire for standing in those places has been adapted to go there once the mass of people have moved, I watch the start and finish from outside the campsite were although still plenty of people you can still move and feel less constrained. However the village idea would minimise the crush as people will have to stay in there allotted area.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4055270)   #755
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that's the only way for the ACO to go. But, with two months or so to go, I'm surprised that we haven't seen any plans - unless they're just hoping to go with what they had drawn up last year?
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4055272)   #756
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't blame them for being a bit hesitant.

to be honest (and i suspect our local correspondents will confirm) i think the french have got sweaty arses over the mutation currently being a bit feisty in the uk. there's lots of areas of their lives that have gone back to normal in a way that ours haven't - whereas our mainline train companies don't book up every single seat on a train at the moment, they're clean and the ventilation is pretty good, the tgv is packed and there's zero air movement. their issues with queueing and crowding at the airport is just as bad if not worse than in the uk with no social distancing. people may wear disposable masks rather than reusable ones in far greater numbers than we do in the uk but compared to us they've almost entirely given up on social practices.

those kind of things mean that if it does catch on there, they're going to be in some major national bother fairly quickly. particularly with them lagging behind us in vaccination terms.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4055437)   #757
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well nothing leaked out today so with baited breath we must all wait until tomorrow.
Still have fingers crossed.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 06:14 (Ref:4055480)   #758
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well nothing leaked out today so with baited breath we must all wait until tomorrow.
Still have fingers crossed.
Nothing yet....excitement on a high level......checking the site every half hour
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:11 (Ref:4055501)   #759
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
watching closely but i fear the ACO are still having discussions with everyone envolved.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:50 (Ref:4055507)   #760
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those discussions might be the ACO telling them they are out of luck and all ticket sales will be direct from the ACO... (That is assuming only a small number will be available).

Also, someone on PH is claiming there is an online ticket sales page up, but you can't checkout yet, with no camping tickets listed, just GA and stands.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4055508)   #761
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have had to make the decision that I will not be going this year whatever the ticket situation. We had a cottage in Cornwall booked from 21stAugust before the date change, my son and his fiancé have got the week off to come with us. For me the thought of not vesting Cornwall is worse than the thought of missing the race I had been dithering with the decision as I did not want to let down my travelling companion, but he had come to the same decision separately so ferry booking has been changed and we will be there next year.

Sean
Old 10 Jun 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4055513)   #762
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Those discussions might be the ACO telling them they are out of luck and all ticket sales will be direct from the ACO... (That is assuming only a small number will be available).

Also, someone on PH is claiming there is an online ticket sales page up, but you can't checkout yet, with no camping tickets listed, just GA and stands.
I bet they didn't put up a link....
Old 10 Jun 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4055517)   #763
Jamie Brown
Rookie

Jamie Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets:

https://ticket.lemans.org/en/24h-lemans
Old 10 Jun 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4055524)   #764
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Brown View Post
Where it apologises!
Attached Images

Old 10 Jun 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4055525)   #765
Jamie Brown
Rookie

Jamie Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was working earlier, looks like they have taken the page down!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 12:12 (Ref:4055528)   #766
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah, I reckon someone's in for a rocket for putting that up before any announcement has been made....
Old 10 Jun 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4055533)   #767
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's now a sign-in prompt on the French version of that page. Looks like the page is still being developed.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4055537)   #768
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I guess it tells us the ACO want to be prepared for what they think (hope) is coming....
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4055538)   #769
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It might be a developer sign-in to test the page or it might be something else. I tried a couple of ACO-related logins I had from down the years and they don't work.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4055539)   #770
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it is mid-afternoon French time without any news (or people are keeping it under their chapeau if they have heard something), which is not an especially encouraging sign.

Are discussions still underway as to what may be allowed, as otherwise why not an early announcement of 'more news in x weeks' or 'tickets on sale at y o'clock'.?
Old 10 Jun 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4055545)   #771
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sorry, no answers from me, I'm afraid. I'm as perplexed as everyone else....
Old 10 Jun 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4055549)   #772
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well the people at the ACO will be going home soon and not even a hint of anything yet.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4055554)   #773
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Will I go for the refund, or get my usual 3 Tertre Rouge tickets and sell them on to keep my "seniority" at the Tourist Office?
Or maybe that has already been defenestrated since Nadine's departure?
Old 10 Jun 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4055558)   #774
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Email from ACO to Members:

On 17 June, we are offering you the chance to be the first to buy your tickets for the forthcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans which will be held on 21 & 22 August. We wanted to reward you for your loyalty by offering you this exceptional opportunity. There are very few places, but fortunately you have 4 days to take advantage of this unprecedented offer!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4055561)   #775
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
50k + health passport. 'Several campsites and car parks will be available'.

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/2...TTERIE_2021_GB

No mention of 'villages'.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Jun 2021 at 15:48.