Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2769054)   #751
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well driven B's do it in 3-05....
Old 4 Oct 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2769062)   #752
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT40 that was not run because it had no papers does indeed have a great period history - just not the period that the Spa Six hours is run for. Indeed it did not even exist in the correct period and that is from the very Mann who built it.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2769071)   #753
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point of having a V8 engined car is that you can maybe race to a position rather than simply wait for others to fall by the wayside (the waiting for which is of itself a skill, I do realise). On another tack why do some people (preparers) wall off their garage, prevent others from looking under the bonnet, peering underneath etc? If these are historic cars, prepared to the correct specification, what do they not want people to see?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2769080)   #754
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
The point of having a V8 engined car is that you can maybe race to a position rather than simply wait for others to fall by the wayside (the waiting for which is of itself a skill, I do realise). On another tack why do some people (preparers) wall off their garage, prevent others from looking under the bonnet, peering underneath etc? If these are historic cars, prepared to the correct specification, what do they not want people to see?
A very, very good point. As a matter of interest when I was buying my Volpini I was told by a very well known historic racer to always buy a car with an MSA issued "log book" and never, never a Belgium one!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2769102)   #755
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly, I fear that this is the trend. Unless the race 'reinvents' itself (read: takes a big risk of losing SOME current entrants), and goes back to attracting a more eclectic grid, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Much like what has happened in GTs (cobras etc.) and Touring Cars (Mustangs etc.).

A lot of the 'good guys' (I'm humbly, or stupidly, including myself in this category) get demoralised, and either race elsewhere, or give up altogether. For me, it's the reason why I'm racing less, but racing in Pre-63 GT not Gentleman Drivers, and U2TC, not Touring Cars.

But, really enjoyed my stint this year, in the oldest car, a 100M, and the fact that we were able to come a 'respectable' 34th, with one driver putting in 3'13 laps and the other two low 3'20s, shows that you CAN have a competitive race in a non-V8. Saying that, it may well have been a different story without the rain!

I know (and this goes back to your quote below) that my co-driver has stated it's his last time for the Six Hours in a 100M, and it's certyainly not a race for my Alfa, which spends most of its time at 7-8000 rpm! I can see the attraction of a 'cheap' V8, but then, some of us race for the fun of it, or because we love racing unusual cars, don't we?

Agree about the lights though. Didn't realise HID lighting was a period fitment!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
BTW,overheard an Elan owner complaining that he will have to buy a V8 if he's going to do it again next year! Makes you wonder how many others are thinking the same,great shame if it follows its current trend of becoming a V8s only race!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2769107)   #756
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
all of which is why HSCC are missing a trick by not running a 6 hour Guards race in UK... (not at Snet!)
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2769120)   #757
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Mr H ,You are referering to one in Top F1 Garage with all bells,carpets and whistles and I was talking about the car in leper pits ,about 42 . At least yours was a GT40 at some point and could have run in Eau Rouge,the dustbin of the non conforming.
Mine needed a skip!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2769125)   #758
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, we were in one of those pits...!

'Alms for an ex-leper?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I was talking about the car in leper pits ,about 42 .
Old 4 Oct 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2769135)   #759
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So were we,but not for long!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2769212)   #760
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
all of which is why HSCC are missing a trick by not running a 6 hour Guards race in UK... (not at Snet!)

Nothing wrong with Snett,just wait and see what its like next year.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2769217)   #761
simon drabble
Veteran

I meant in addition to their 3 hour rather than instead of....
Old 4 Oct 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2769220)   #762
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps IF those people put in the attention to detail on the cars?

Just for reference,ie B lap times. Mr Thibault was doing 3.09s back in 2003/4,that was with a well worn 1950,the owner would not let us refresh it Simon.

[Your's,tired of waiting]

Last edited by terence; 4 Oct 2010 at 15:58.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2769254)   #763
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Its not that GT40.That was bureaucracy .

The car referred to was all ally and run by the same Team that ran the really crappy GT 40 look alike that was quick for a very short period last year.
Can anyone clarify which two cars these were as I cannot figure it out from the entry list (drivers etc) - TIA
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2769284)   #764
simon drabble
Veteran

Terry - what are you suggesting..... ;-)
Old 4 Oct 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2769286)   #765
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=terence bower;2769220]Just for reference,ie B lap times. Mr Thibault was doing 3.09s back in 2003/4,that was with a well worn 1950,the owner would not let us refresh it Simon.QUOTE]

so with the stupid chicane a legal MGB should be around 3:12- 3:15 . . . .or slower than a Mustang? which is about where normal/sensible LC's are, superheros and bottomless budgets aside!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2769291)   #766
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm. feeling a bit victimised - v8 owners aren't all bad!!........
even though i'm selling the old girl.....
Old 4 Oct 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2769306)   #767
simon drabble
Veteran

As a winning car in the 6 Hour it should fly off the shelf Ben...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2769309)   #768
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
As a winning car in the 6 Hour it should fly off the shelf Ben...
hope so
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2769336)   #769
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
[QUOTE=zefarelly;2769286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Just for reference,ie B lap times. Mr Thibault was doing 3.09s back in 2003/4,that was with a well worn 1950,the owner would not let us refresh it Simon.QUOTE]

so with the stupid chicane a legal MGB should be around 3:12- 3:15 . . . .or slower than a Mustang? which is about where normal/sensible LC's are, superheros and bottomless budgets aside!

The cigar is awarded to Zefarelly for his correct assumption.
Mustang wise? that would depend on the driver.
Ben,are you looking for a B to replace the Mustang with?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2769338)   #770
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

[QUOTE=terence bower;2769336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

Bet your really pleased with your trophy btw.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2769346)   #771
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

[QUOTE=terence bower;2769336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

hmmm. thanks for the offer but i've got ...ahem..other plans. Anyway, it's a Falcon.......I know they all look alike to most people
Old 4 Oct 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2769365)   #772
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
hmmmm. feeling a bit victimised - v8 owners aren't all bad!!........
even though i'm selling the old girl.....
LOL, get used to it Ben, me and Al have had to
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 4 Oct 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2769425)   #773
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
There were two GT40s that raced in the Spa 6 hr that passed the tech inspection and were included in the final results.... that have never seen FAV or Slough.... cap fits !
Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2769466)   #774
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
LOL, get used to it Ben, me and Al have had to

Perhaps we have to take what I heard Boris call tonight "the Millwall attitude"......."Nobody likes us and we don't care"
Old 5 Oct 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2769522)   #775
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not so much as "not liking" more a case of there being far too many. The RACB had actually suggested that a more varied grid would be more acceptable to the spectators.Problem being that "development" on V8s has jumped so far ahead of everything else [apart from Jags] that is.