Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3525049)   #751
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the immediate reaction to that is LOL, but when you think about it it's not all that daft an idea...
Arguably better than buying Lotus and then paying off competitor Mercedes to terminate their engine deal.

If Renault were the engineering powerhouse in chassis and engine their powerbrokers would like us to believe, ManorMarussia is virtually a clean sheet of paper, capable of molding into any shape they want.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3525059)   #752
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Maybe Renault can buy ManorMarussia, they seem to have E30m to spend on buying a new team Here

Could be, but it is idle speculation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Arguably better than buying Lotus and then paying off competitor Mercedes to terminate their engine deal.

If Renault were the engineering powerhouse in chassis and engine their powerbrokers would like us to believe, ManorMarussia is virtually a clean sheet of paper, capable of molding into any shape they want.
Don't overlook the fact that Manor have a contract with Ferrari for their PSUs and drivetrain, and that Ferrari have been screwed over once by Manor/Marussia and won't be too happy to be shafted yet again!
Old 8 Apr 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3525063)   #753
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's only a one year contract though, isn't it?

wouldn't necessarily read anything into the idle ponderings about renault but i'd not say that a contract with ferrari for this season would be indicative of anything for next season either.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3525071)   #754
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
it's only a one year contract though, isn't it?

wouldn't necessarily read anything into the idle ponderings about renault but i'd not say that a contract with ferrari for this season would be indicative of anything for next season either.
I've been searching for an article to back up my thoughts on this, but can't at the moment find it or them. However, something in the back of my mind says that the two have signed a multi year contract, with Ferrari supplying 2014 PSUs for one year (2015) followed by the then current units thereafter. The main, or only, reasons for running the old units this year is that they were cheaper than the newer models, and because they could be fitted in the 2014 chassis that they are currently racing.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3525072)   #755
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the article at the top of autosport.com contradicts your memory a little, but only on the length of time the 2014 engine will be supplied for:

Quote:
Once the 2015 challenger is ready, Ferrari will provide the team with this year's engine, which has also propelled Sauber back into points contention after the Swiss team endured a 2014 season to forget.
given that progress from sauber they must be massively keen to get their hands on that new engine, even more so than they're letting on in those quotes!
Old 8 Apr 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3525105)   #756
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
the immediate reaction to that is LOL, but when you think about it it's not all that daft an idea...
I think the logical thing is Renault buying Red Bull Racing, as they did with Benetton before back in 2000. It's the kind of thing I could expect of them as history repeating itself.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3525182)   #757
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
I think the logical thing is Renault buying Red Bull Racing, as they did with Benetton before back in 2000. It's the kind of thing I could expect of them as history repeating itself.
I don't see Dietrich Mateschitz selling RBR in a hurry, unless there are exceptional circumstances, e.g. RBR fail to get anywhere this season and possibly next.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3525187)   #758
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DM selling RBR in a Hurry LOL I don't see that happening any time soon .
Old 8 Apr 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3525229)   #759
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Not sure RBR would be for sale for E30m, as seems to be desired..

I would have said WilliamsF1 might be a good target
Old 9 Apr 2015, 00:27 (Ref:3525231)   #760
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
RBR is in a very tight spot if Renault goes works with another outfit - even STR. RBR will get even less support in the event that Renault sinks the kind of cash needed to get its own team competitive. It's not beyond the realms that DM will gather his healthy haul of trophies and clear off sooner rather than later in that event. I think that's a real possibility.

Maybe RBR will tick over with Renault, until such a time that Honda hauls its hide out from the abyss and maybe team up with them? RBR are in a tight spot and while they probably won't leave; it's a possibility that's real nevertheless.

Or RBR could do what they said they would be well disposed to do - and that's to make their entire colour scheme yellow and Renault themed. That would renew Renault's commitment in a way that would be both effective and cost effective for Renault. And Red Bull wouldn't lose their identity despite the change in colour.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 00:56 (Ref:3525234)   #761
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
RBR is in a very tight spot if Renault goes works with another outfit - even STR. RBR will get even less support in the event that Renault sinks the kind of cash needed to get its own team competitive. It's not beyond the realms that DM will gather his healthy haul of trophies and clear off sooner rather than later in that event. I think that's a real possibility.

Maybe RBR will tick over with Renault, until such a time that Honda hauls its hide out from the abyss and maybe team up with them? RBR are in a tight spot and while they probably won't leave; it's a possibility that's real nevertheless.

Or RBR could do what they said they would be well disposed to do - and that's to make their entire colour scheme yellow and Renault themed. That would renew Renault's commitment in a way that would be both effective and cost effective for Renault. And Red Bull wouldn't lose their identity despite the change in colour.
You would have to wonder what Porsche, Cosworth, Audi could accomplish with $120M budget for four PUs in RBRs,
Old 1 Jun 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3543741)   #762
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a bit quiet in here.

Just wondering if anyone has a idea for when Manor said they were gonna run their new 2015 car?

Or was it all a 'smoke and mirrors' type comment
Old 1 Jun 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3543799)   #763
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Manor Marussia Builds For The Future

Mr Bell is quite a catch. Hopefully there are tools in place for him to manage..

The new aero guys on board have you wondering if MM are going to wait til 2016 to debut a new chassis design?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 21:38 (Ref:3543984)   #764
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Its a wonderful story.. The little team that could....
Old 2 Jun 2015, 01:02 (Ref:3544048)   #765
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Its a wonderful story.. The little team that could....
Would love to see the car stickered up with loads of brand names soon too.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 03:11 (Ref:3544078)   #766
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Its a bit quiet in here.

Just wondering if anyone has a idea for when Manor said they were gonna run their new 2015 car?

Or was it all a 'smoke and mirrors' type comment
The most recent article I can find mentions the August break this year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118555

How much of a "new" car it will be is probably the next question to ask. It may be a big aero update on the current chassis, similar to what Ferrari did for the European season this year. If Manor bring an entirely new chassis you'd have to suggest they will use it to begin the 2016 season also.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3544135)   #767
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Here is an interesting thought...
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31004.html
Old 2 Jun 2015, 10:00 (Ref:3544141)   #768
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Here is an interesting thought...
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31004.html
I cannot see the logic other than it being the lowest cost team although probably dept free. It has very little infrastructure but maybe that might suit Renault in building up from scratch.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3544151)   #769
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They are buying up Lotus. It's a non-story clickbait based on the movement of one person who is apparently based at Manor on a consultancy basis.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3544202)   #770
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
They are buying up Lotus.
Does Renault know about that?
Old 2 Jun 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3544221)   #771
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the Bob Bell appointment makes me think Webber to Manor!
Old 2 Jun 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3544223)   #772
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
The Bob Bell appoint does ring bells with Renault.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3544613)   #773
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manor just confirmed Fabio Leimer as reserve driver for the rest of the season.
The pressure is increasing on Merhi it seems.
Old 4 Jun 2015, 07:05 (Ref:3544819)   #774
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leimer deserves a shot at F1, always has. Him, Valsecchi and Palmer all deserved more than they got off the back of winning GP2. Leimer is underrated imo. Good racer, did a very strong job in his championship season and multiple feature race winner. When the likes of Marcus Ericsson, Max Chilton and Giedo Van Der Garde made F1 with a far less impressive junior record.

I feel a bit for Merhi though - totally believe that the weight issue is the main reason he's behind Stevens. Will all due respect to him, Will Stevens is not a word beater.
Old 4 Jun 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3544860)   #775
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the Bob Bell appointment makes me think Webber to Manor!
That would be great! They need a 2015 Le Mans winner (pending..) aboard to get some proper sponsors in the door

And if Honda stay as good as they are now, Mr Webber can enjoy playing broom brooms with his old buddy Mr Alonso down the back of the bus...