Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2925083)   #801
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from a championship position point of view, Mark passing Vettel would only have only helped Ferrari and Alonso close the gap. really it seems only fitting that Ferrari who love team orders get the short end of the stick because of Red Bull using it.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2925114)   #802
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is interesting that Christian Horner vociferously complained about Ferrari in Germany last year and now he's doing the same, regadless of the legality or lack of legality (but apparent acceptance) of team orders. I hear Eddie Jordan was much more supportive of Red Bull yesterday than he was of Ferrari in Hockenheim. But then his opinions are prone to being very fickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I think back to China 2010, Spa 2009 and plenty of first lap corners and they have never taken each other out. The incident in Turkey came when they both put each other to the sword
It's funny they don't want Mark to race Seb when historically (re: Turkey), it's only Vettel who's caused an accident between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
really it seems only fitting that Ferrari who love team orders get the short end of the stick because of Red Bull using it.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2925121)   #803
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we really have to go through the whole team orders thing again?

I still can't get my head around the fact team orders are perfectly acceptable and openly used in every other form of professional motorsport, but are somehow the ultimate expression of evil in Formula One.

As Team Manager you have to do what's best for the team. And that means if you're in second and third in the last couple of laps you don't lose yourself 30 odd points by letting two headstrong drivers battle it out and take each other off.

Equally, if Mark had been obviously faster and had caught Vettel several laps earlier, I would have had no issue with Vettel being told to let him by, especially if for example Vettel was nursing a technical issue and Mark had a chance of catching the leader.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2925125)   #804
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Do we really have to go through the whole team orders thing again?
Only if you want to join in. Many people's opinion hasn't changed. Yours hasn't and personally speaking, neither has mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I still can't get my head around the fact team orders are perfectly acceptable and openly used in every other form of professional motorsport, but are somehow the ultimate expression of evil in Formula One.
To support my view, I don't like them in any form of motorsport where there is a drivers' championship.

Also many people higher up the motorsport chain support this view. Damon Hill expressed some grievances with this yesterday.

Last edited by Born Racer; 11 Jul 2011 at 16:00.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2925132)   #805
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My only confusion now is whether they're only illegal when Ferrari do it...?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2925141)   #806
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I hear Eddie Jordan was much more supportive of Red Bull yesterday than he was of Ferrari in Hockenheim. But then his opinions are prone to being very fickle.
Eddie firmly believes in enforcing the rules and when Ferrari did it they were against the rules, now they are allowed. Give the man credit for having some integrity, even if he is a clown.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2925142)   #807
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is all the team orders complaining about the last few laps when webber was quicker than Vettel and was only close enough to pass in the last two laps or so.

Its been standard practise it would seem during the last few laps for teammates to hold position, havent McLaren and other teams done it in the past.

I'm sure had it been the other way round, the same decision would have been made and a lot of people on here would be cheering the decision etc.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2925209)   #808
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Team orders can often be a little disappointing from a spectator's point of view, but ultimately teams will do what's best for the team, and the rules back them up. Besides, Webber ignored the order, so it's not as if we were deprived of any spectacle on this occasion.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2925245)   #809
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Team orders can often be a little disappointing from a spectator's point of view, but ultimately teams will do what's best for the team, and the rules back them up. Besides, Webber ignored the order, so it's not as if we were deprived of any spectacle on this occasion.
He ignored the order initially when it was just from Ciaron Pilbeam. But when it was Horner on the radio, he eased up. James Allen has confirmed this

As a Webber fan, I won't say much, other than I'm surprised how many people have come out on Mark's side on this (given that Vettel is usually the one wrapped in teflon). So I'll just leave it to this article to sum up how I feel
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2925261)   #810
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is interesting that there are comparisons to Hockenheim 2010 and not Turkey 2009. Which one was most like Silverstone 2011?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2925307)   #811
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Are you sure, I can't find a single mention in the threads at the time:
Turkey 2009: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...and+prix+round
DoTR Turkey 2009 http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...er+race+turkey

EDIT: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...Vettel&page=48
There is talk of how Red Bull ruined Vettel's strategy giving the position to Webber, but nothing about them telling Vettel to stay behind.
No, I distinctly remember them saying on the radio "Mark is faster"
Old 11 Jul 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2925308)   #812
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely you mean
Quote:
No, I distinctly remember them saying on the radio "Mark is faster"
Old 12 Jul 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2925380)   #813
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes yes... so c'mon... Webber to Renault?

No mention of KERS issues this round for Red Bull.. maybe they fixed it?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2925500)   #814
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber should have just stuck it down the inside at Stow and given RedBull the Finger - This is RACING.

Team orders = Sorry does not compute.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2925503)   #815
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A quick question about Vettel - can anyone remember him doing a memorable overtake? I think overtook one person at Silverstone on Sunday. He couldn't find his way past Hamilton though.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2925514)   #816
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
A quick question about Vettel - can anyone remember him doing a memorable overtake? I think overtook one person at Silverstone on Sunday. He couldn't find his way past Hamilton though.
To be honest he reminds me a lot of Damon Hill in that he is so fast but when he is behind someone he tends to stay there (or run into them).
Old 12 Jul 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2925560)   #817
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He's done his share of overtaking this season, but it's the old adage about not overtaking when your in front. Hamilton couldn't find his way past Vettel in Barcelona either.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2925584)   #818
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
He's done his share of overtaking this season, but it's the old adage about not overtaking when your in front. Hamilton couldn't find his way past Vettel in Barcelona either.
I take your point and it is quite valid. If you have the best car, you tend to qualify at the front and don't really need to do that much overtaking.

I would like the Red Bulls to qualify badly and then see them do some overtaking in a race. Maybe they could poach some more McLaren staff to help them with that.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2925609)   #819
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I would like the Red Bulls to qualify badly and then see them do some overtaking in a race. Maybe they could poach some more McLaren staff to help them with that.
That's the thing, for whatever reason, McLaren can't seem to build a car that can qualify too brilliantly, yet races very well, add that to 2 very good overtaking drivers, one of which is probably the best out there at coming through the traffic.

The Mac's of late remind me of the William's of 2002, only in reverse. The McLaren isn't a good qualifier, yet a good racing car, the Williams was a great qualifier (in Montoya's hands at least 7 poles on the bounce iirc) yet not an ideal racing car.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2925716)   #820
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
Quote:
He didn't pass him because Hamilton, at least once, made an unfair and illegal manouver (two sudden changes of direction)
Old 12 Jul 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2925788)   #821
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
That's the thing, for whatever reason, McLaren can't seem to build a car that can qualify too brilliantly, yet races very well, add that to 2 very good overtaking drivers, one of which is probably the best out there at coming through the traffic.

The Mac's of late remind me of the William's of 2002, only in reverse. The McLaren isn't a good qualifier, yet a good racing car, the Williams was a great qualifier (in Montoya's hands at least 7 poles on the bounce iirc) yet not an ideal racing car.
Or perhaps ...

Button is a very patient driver with good racecraft and manages to get past whilst Hamilton is neither. Just as Montoya was quick over a lap with nobody around him but also lacked (and still does) racecraft, fitness for a full race journey and concentration.

Whatever you say, it gets down to the smarts of the driver
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:31 (Ref:2925844)   #822
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe we wont get to see a 4th iteration of this thread Here

Raikkonen to Red Bull, Potsie to Williams Renault?

Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:36 (Ref:2925845)   #823
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Joe Saward says Webber to...

Webber to HRT? Mr Ricciardo warming the seat for him in 2011?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:31 (Ref:2925856)   #824
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Maybe we wont get to see a 4th iteration of this thread Here

Raikkonen to Red Bull, Potsie to Williams Renault?

Hmmm, so Red Bull isn't big enough for 2 superstar drivers in Vettel and Hamilton, yet it is big enough for Vettel and Raikkonen? i wouldn't believe that story.

Not sure that Webber would be welcome back at Williams, he's aired some strong views of them since he left.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2925897)   #825
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Or perhaps ...

Button is a very patient driver with good racecraft and manages to get past whilst Hamilton is neither. Just as Montoya was quick over a lap with nobody around him but also lacked (and still does) racecraft, fitness for a full race journey and concentration.

Whatever you say, it gets down to the smarts of the driver
Sorry to keep this OT for a mo but I had to reply to this.....

Err, Montoya was one of the best overtakers F1 has ever seen, the list of examples is huge deeks. Unfortunately most peoples views of him seem to be tainted by the 'madness' of his last few races in 2006 where he was clearly under a lot of unecessary pressure from himself and his team....

Hamilton's recent driving is in fact, reminding me very much if that period of his career but I don't see Ron rushing to ease Lewis out?