Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Sep 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3454201)   #8426
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see zero P2s. It just shows how poorly the series handled everything. TUSC is well on its way to the Grand-Am model of fielding cars nobody cares about again. I have no qualms in ignoring the series with DPs as the only car in the top class.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Ford, Mazda, Honda, and a Deltawing would pull-out too in the Prototype class. But seriously, who wants to see Corvette DP winning all the time in 2015?
Old 17 Sep 2014, 07:04 (Ref:3454220)   #8427
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
But seriously, who wants to see Corvette DP winning all the time in 2015?
GM.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3454224)   #8428
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but what about the fans, casual and sports-car fanatics alike? Looking at the Prototype class, the worst-case scenario would be summarized as single-make spec class just like the PC class.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3454254)   #8429
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Pruett's article suggests that there will be NO P2 cars next year. Just as many have speculated.
So for once the P2-count-for-next-season is looking realistic at this point of the year

Anyway, the two Lolas will be still fiddling around the back in any case so technically NASCAR can continue to claim P2 presence.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3454287)   #8430
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if Ford, Mazda, Honda, and a Deltawing would pull-out too in the Prototype class. But seriously, who wants to see Corvette DP winning all the time in 2015?
Was that a trick question?

GM
Old 17 Sep 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3454288)   #8431
Danathar
Racer

I've always kinda felt that prototype racing was pretty much dead in the U.S. until 2017. What is going on now is just limping along for appearance sake until then. Honestly I think Jim France WANTS to get rid of the DP cars. It's doing nothing for the series. Does he tilt in favor of them due to the owners to paid big $$$ to get them upgraded? I'm sure he does (and the series) but that probably does not mean they WANT DP to continue. Even they see how all that turned out.

What they should of done is just killed all prototype racing in TUSCC until the new regs. The GT classes are strong enough to hold their own weight (just look at VIR). That would satisfy GM so that they could fight for overall wins for a couple of years.

It would of also caused a build up of anticipation in regards to the "comeback" of prototypes in 2017.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3454301)   #8432
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
Another team picked the Ligier.
Krohn?
Old 17 Sep 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3454317)   #8433
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Krohn?
Krohn going to prototypes?
Old 17 Sep 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3454321)   #8434
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
The late nineties era is repeating itself, sooner or later we'll gonna see some sort of new prototype series being set up, only a matter of time.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3454352)   #8435
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Krohn?
yes
Old 17 Sep 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3454363)   #8436
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So for once the P2-count-for-next-season is looking realistic at this point of the year

Anyway, the two Lolas will be still fiddling around the back in any case so technically NASCAR can continue to claim P2 presence.

Is it sad that when I wrote that... I totally forgot about the Mazdas. Yikes.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 05:25 (Ref:3454569)   #8437
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
The late nineties era is repeating itself, sooner or later we'll gonna see some sort of new prototype series being set up, only a matter of time.
I see what you mean actually, but in this case the US isn't propping up Le Mans, as it was in the mid 90s, and there is no equivalent of the WSC machinery that was eligible for all the major races of the year.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3454981)   #8438
Danathar
Racer

Why after watching P1 for years DP underwhelms

Ok, here is a small rant. Plus it keeps the thread near the top of the forums

The lap time difference between the DP and P1 cars at COTA (top times) in FP1 according to my calculations is....

9.17 seconds!!!

If the series wants to know WHY fans are a bit miffed about what they were watching and what they get now...the above number should say it all.

Yea yea, viability, cost, etc...

It does not soften how much slower they are.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:37 (Ref:3454986)   #8439
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Then go watch WEC.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3454987)   #8440
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Was telling my wife this morning that number was only after a slew of upgrades to make the DP faster. Lipstick on a pig.

What's greatest to me is the gap for the ESM cars. I don't think the gap is even as big as it could be since we're using COTA as the test.

Natural selection brought GT1 numbers to 2, natural selection brought P1 numbers to 2 (2013 ALMS, rumors not included) natural selection should have killed DP. (Warning: Blatant ALMS bias ahead) TUSC would have infinitely more credibility if they had let P2 and DP race in their 2013 specs. We'd see something that I think attracts sports car racing fans: faster cars, strategy, legitimate race finishes. It's pointless to think about, but it's a nice thought I use to daydream, find my happy place, etc.

I don't care that only P2 cars win races, I do care when faster cars are handicapped to the point of extinction, and we're left with inferior products.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3454989)   #8441
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Then go watch WEC.
I will, but that still does not mean I can't lament the lack of faster equipment in TUSCC.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3454996)   #8442
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Ok, here is a small rant. Plus it keeps the thread near the top of the forums

The lap time difference between the DP and P1 cars at COTA (top times) in FP1 according to my calculations is....

9.17 seconds!!!

If the series wants to know WHY fans are a bit miffed about what they were watching and what they get now...the above number should say it all.

Yea yea, viability, cost, etc...

It does not soften how much slower they are.
Would any of the works P1s race in TUSC, though?

Maybe it's a better comparison to look up the best privateer P1 times....
Old 19 Sep 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3454999)   #8443
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
I will, but that still does not mean I can't lament the lack of faster equipment in TUSCC.
Must be hating ELMS and AsLMS as well, with their top class being only P2.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3455004)   #8444
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Actually, screw this. I'm out, this crap isn't even fun to debate any more.

I'd just like to say thanks to those few that really stunk up this place with their constant negativity and holier than thou attitudes.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3455007)   #8445
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Then go watch WEC.
What kind of argument is that? If you don't like product X you're not allowed to complain, so please and switch to product Y which is entirely different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Would any of the works P1s race in TUSC, though?
Not likely but NAEC would be different.

Anyway, the lap times differences last year were even bigger than now. I think come quali we'll see huge improvements from Thursday everywhere
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3455009)   #8446
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, screw this. I'm out, this crap isn't even fun to debate any more.

I'd just like to say thanks to those few that really stunk up this place with their constant negativity and holier than thou attitudes.
Thanks. Bye.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3455021)   #8447
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Natural selection brought GT1 numbers to 2, natural selection brought P1 numbers to 2 (2013 ALMS, rumors not included) natural selection should have killed DP. (Warning: Blatant ALMS bias ahead) TUSC would have infinitely more credibility if they had let P2 and DP race in their 2013 specs. We'd see something that I think attracts sports car racing fans: faster cars, strategy, legitimate race finishes. It's pointless to think about, but it's a nice thought I use to daydream, find my happy place, etc.

I don't care that only P2 cars win races, I do care when faster cars are handicapped to the point of extinction, and we're left with inferior products.
IMSA has done a 'good' job of nearly killing the DP's as well, how many are left on the grid, 6 or something? Last year GA had 16 DP's on the entry list for their (early season) race at CotA. The 'premiere' prototype class is now also looking rather bleak and originally car counts were believed to be one of the brighter sides of the 'merger'.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3455023)   #8448
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Must be hating ELMS and AsLMS as well, with their top class being only P2.
I don't HATE them (that's a strong word).

But it would be NICE to have some sort of P1 presence in both of those series.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3455024)   #8449
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
IMSA has done a 'good' job of nearly killing the DP's as well, how many are left on the grid, 6 or something? Last year GA had 16 DP's on the entry list for their (early season) race at CotA.
Quite...
http://postimg.org/image/k7wlreyw9/full/
Old 19 Sep 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3455025)   #8450
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
IMSA has done a 'good' job of nearly killing the DP's as well, how many are left on the grid, 6 or something? Last year GA had 16 DP's on the entry list for their (early season) race at CotA. The 'premiere' prototype class is now also looking rather bleak and originally car counts were believed to be one of the brighter sides of the 'merger'.
Yup, totally agree.

The freaking HUGE bill they forced on the DP field really hurt..bad. All in the name of making sure DP's could fight for overall wins...and also because they had to keep them significantly in front of GTLM.

In retrospect it WOULD of been a MUCH better thing to have the DP's fight it out with LMPC or even be their own class but politically that was not going to happen given the whole reason why GM made a DP corvette was so they could fight for overall wins.

It's rather funny really. GM And Ford want a manufacturer supported prototype class but are unwilling to play in LMP1, so they are keen on changing the lower prototype classes to accommodate them (DP and now P2 probably based on what team corvette said recently).

Really, they need to suck it up and step up to LMP1. GM can make a branded looking Corvette prototype in P1, Ford can do a TRUE ecoboost car in P1 if they want. And with those two committed to P1 you could have a P1 class in Tudor in addition to opportunities for WEC races.
Closed Thread