Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Oct 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2978639)   #826
PAUL S
Rookie

PAUL S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pete Hall 87 car was turned into a thundersaloon later on in life, and then returned to btcc spec by its current owner a few years back.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2978645)   #827
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
But could that mean that if it was the Dutch car, that it was then brought back into this country later on before being 'Looned'?
Old 29 Oct 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2978649)   #828
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL S View Post
The Pete Hall 87 car was turned into a thundersaloon later on in life, and then returned to btcc spec by its current owner a few years back.
Which thundersaloon was that?
Old 31 Oct 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2979658)   #829
PAUL S
Rookie

looking back over my info I may be incorrect. The car I mentioned was in fact Guy Edwards 88 car in Kaliber colours, so not sure if this was the 87 car after all.

I dont know which Loon it became, I only saw pics of it after conversion back to a btcc car
Old 31 Oct 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2979710)   #830
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone know which RS500's used six speed gearboxes, was it just the last DJR and 'Peter Jackson' cars in Australia?
Old 31 Oct 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2979739)   #831
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't even know that a 6-speed box was homologated, but it is, although rather late (1/1/1991). It may have been initiated from Australia, in other countries the car had no opposition anyway or wasn't raced anymore.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2979767)   #832
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL S View Post
looking back over my info I may be incorrect. The car I mentioned was in fact Guy Edwards 88 car in Kaliber colours, so not sure if this was the 87 car after all.

I dont know which Loon it became, I only saw pics of it after conversion back to a btcc car
Thanks Paul, mind you I reckon even that car went overseas for a bit?

Without checking, does anyone know if all the 88 Rouse BTCC cars were new builds or were any carried over from '87?
Old 31 Oct 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2979798)   #833
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was that the one that went to Malaysia, ended up in an odd green / yellow colour-scheme?
Old 31 Oct 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2979814)   #834
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong View Post
I didn't even know that a 6-speed box was homologated, but it is, although rather late (1/1/1991). It may have been initiated from Australia, in other countries the car had no opposition anyway or wasn't raced anymore.
I saw it on the season review, with a little research* I discovered the 'Peter Jackson' car used a 6-speed box so I assume the DJR cars used them to. With it only being homologated in '91 I guess that means only the Aussie cars used them.

*Currently making replicas of the major Group A RS500's in Forza 4.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2979828)   #835
JAG
Veteran

England
Good info on the Seton car here.

http://www.ibcholdings.com.au/cars/sierra/index.html
Old 3 Nov 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2981094)   #836
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A few pics by Robert Clayson from the 1987 Silverstone GP meeting BTCC race- Win Percy guesting in Andy Rouse's BTCC ICS Sierra (think Andy was away at the Nurburgring race that weekend with his red WTCC Sierra)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertc...n/photostream/
He's lapping or passing one of the production saloon Sierras that appeared here- one of the Arquati cars, so either Mahony or Gravett

This is Gravett's prodsaloon Sierra...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertc...in/photostream
(I think the car in the other pic must be Mahony- note the BRSCC decal behind the fuel filler on Gravett's car, which is absent on the car in the Win Percy pic)

...and Mike Smith's Mobil car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertc...in/photostream
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2993537)   #837
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder what the history of this lot here is.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2993545)   #838
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I wonder what the history of this lot here is.
Well, the black one in the picture clearly has a sunroof aperture, so that's obviously a road car shell.
Ford did re-manufacture a batch what was known as the Group A shell (basically a standard shell, no sunroof or body sealer), and I think that whoever made the order was a little over enthusiastic as after a while they were sold off dirt cheap as they were taking up space. (I think the story at the time was that any not sold by a certain time would be sent to the crusher!). If only I'd had the space and cash at the time to have bougt all of those...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2993611)   #839
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Well, the black one in the picture clearly has a sunroof aperture, so that's obviously a road car shell.
Ford did re-manufacture a batch what was known as the Group A shell (basically a standard shell, no sunroof or body sealer), and I think that whoever made the order was a little over enthusiastic as after a while they were sold off dirt cheap as they were taking up space. (I think the story at the time was that any not sold by a certain time would be sent to the crusher!). If only I'd had the space and cash at the time to have bougt all of those...
Very interesting... maybe Ford were targeting them at the Scandinavian rallycrossers who seemed to be voraciously 'consuming' RS500 shells in the late 80s, early 90s.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2993633)   #840
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Very interesting... maybe Ford were targeting them at the Scandinavian rallycrossers who seemed to be voraciously 'consuming' RS500 shells in the late 80s, early 90s.
Sadly I don't think it was that well thought out, but more along the lines of "Can we have 'x' many 3 Door Sierra shells re-made please without sunroof apertures or seam sealer?"
"Certainly sir, will that be a 50 - 50 split between left & right hand drive?"
Thought ("Bugger! Hadn't thought of that, er...")
"No, I mean that many of each" he said trying to sound confident...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2993678)   #841
davyboy
Veteran

Nah... it would have been much simpler than that. Having worked for Ford in Warley in the early 1990s, this kind of thing would just be a matter of having one of the [nice] Essex girl secretaries filling out a purchase req on a typewriter [to indent through the triplicate] and having it signed by a VP. A few would evaporate in Dunton and the rest would get stored up in Boreham. If I'd known at the time, I probably could have gotten some for free from my mates in Dunton... Ah... those were the days
Old 2 Dec 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2994218)   #842
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The ad says that the black one is a road car shell and one of the primer shells is also road car, but the other one in primer is a motorsport shellm with no sunroof.

On the same page they also list a 1988 Dave Brodie Group A race car, fully restored, in white.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2994577)   #843
PAUL S
Rookie

Ford produced a batch of new 3dr cosworth shells in 1989, 3 years after the last car was built, basically because they ran out of the original spare stockpile due to its popularity in motorsport and the fact that so many were stolen and damaged.

All manufacturers have a duty to supply essential components for at least 10 years after the model is sold, so they had no choice really. They are known as the "909" shells as thats the start of the part number Ford allocate to motorsport parts.

The problem was that the assembly line was broken down and reconstructed straight after the 3drs were originally built in early 1987 in order to enable the facelifted Mk2 sierra to be built, so Ford had to incorporate a number of mk2 parts into these mk1 shells so these 1989 "909" shells are slightly different to the originals in a number of areas.

They made 4 types in 1989 these being:-

LHD road spec
RHD road spec
LHD motorsport
RHD motorsport

The motorsport version was essentailly a set of thinner panels welded together and thats it, as it was meant for group A, where as the original 1986 motorsport was more a group N shell so much heavier.

Very few of the later motorsport shells actually ended up as racers as not soon after the rules got changed and they were no longer needed.

Simpson salvage bought up most of them and stored them for years, selling them off on exchange and mart. They went as low as £600 at one point but now command 2k plus.

I have owned quite a few of the 909 shells over the years, I sold my last new one quite recently. Oakfields ones are all from the 1989 batch

Below is a copy of the Ford advert from Autosport August 1989.

Old 13 Dec 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2999086)   #844
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gp N Sierra

If anyone has interest in an original Sierra Gp N rally car please send me a PM.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3015693)   #845
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DJR2

nice story here, the long lost Group A racer, ex Dick Johnson then Mike Smith has re-surfaced and will be restored (having been long ago turned into a rally car and not used for many years).

http://passionford.com/forum/general...-piccs-up.html
Old 23 Jan 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3015812)   #846
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Now that's some find! Good to see another one coming out of the woodwork...
Old 5 Feb 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3021855)   #847
RS 500 Registrar t
Rookie

RS 500 Registrar t should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I submitted a reply to this post but its gone ??
Old 5 Feb 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3021856)   #848
RS 500 Registrar t
Rookie

RS 500 Registrar t should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig View Post
nice story here, the long lost Group A racer, ex Dick Johnson then Mike Smith has re-surfaced and will be restored (having been long ago turned into a rally car and not used for many years).

http://passionford.com/forum/general...-piccs-up.html

Hi All

I am the lucky fella who has been asked to do the resto on this missing DJR2 car

Ill post some pics as i go along

Paul

Last edited by RS 500 Registrar t; 5 Feb 2012 at 16:48.
Old 1 May 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3067725)   #849
KA
Veteran

A few 1988 BTCC shots by Kevin Gutteridge.

Thruxton- Jerry Mahony tangling with Guy Edwards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...n/photostream/

Brands- Chris Hodgetts in the Brooklyn car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...in/photostream

Mike Newman, Robb Gravett and Laurence Bristow

Andy Rouse, Steve Soper & Karl Jones on lap 1- this is the beginning of the famous Rouse v Soper duel that would continue for the entire race...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFjyMUWLF8

and 1987- Andy Rouse at Silverstone
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...57629435991339
Old 1 May 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3067754)   #850
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
A few 1988 BTCC shots by Kevin Gutteridge.

Thruxton- Jerry Mahony tangling with Guy Edwards:

Brands- Chris Hodgetts in the Brooklyn car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...in/photostream

Mike Newman, Robb Gravett and Laurence Bristow

Andy Rouse, Steve Soper & Karl Jones on lap 1- this is the beginning of the famous Rouse v Soper duel that would continue for the entire race...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFjyMUWLF8

and 1987- Andy Rouse at Silverstone
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...57629435991339
A great set of pictures there young man, well found.
(Funnily enough I was looking through this old thread late last night and was sorely tempted to just bump it back into sight. Glad I didn't bother now as your post is far more interesting...)

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc