Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 Oct 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2568780)   #826
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WHO SAW OWR ONE AND ONLY PETER CHUBB BEING INTEREVIEWED ON SOUTH TODAY AT GATWICK AIRPORT EARLIER IN THE WEEK?
Old 25 Oct 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2569138)   #827
kabracer
Rookie

England
Amesbury UK.
kabracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As already suggested, bring your own Probans, do not expect 5 star treatment, hopefully things will be better sorted/ organised by the time you all arrive.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2569140)   #828
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Can you tell us what the main problem areas are?
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2569213)   #829
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabracer View Post
As already suggested, bring your own Probans, do not expect 5 star treatment, hopefully things will be better sorted/ organised by the time you all arrive.
Washed & packed in the suitcase.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2569281)   #830
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second Tony Moralee's comments and wish you all the best. Well done Tony for getting on Radio 2 and requesting The Chain (good choice!).
Old 25 Oct 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2569284)   #831
kabracer
Rookie

England
Amesbury UK.
kabracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Main problem is lack of large, XL, XXL overalls, and even if they arrive? they appear to be made in Asia with the scaled down sizing to suit that population i.e. I am wearing XL weigh 10 1/2 stone and 5ft 5 1/2 inches 34 inch waist and only just fits!
Most of the accommodation issues "should" be sorted by the time you arrive, but do not expect 3 star, basic youth hostel at best. Food is OK.
Your responsibilities will depend on who you know, all a bit "clicky".
Old 25 Oct 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2569306)   #832
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No?

Really??

But don't care.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2569330)   #833
Circuit boy
Rookie

Circuit boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surprise, surprise, nothing's changed from the start to finish, still, at least there'll be plenty to read on here during the winter lol, look on the bright side, if you get a dose of AD belly, it'll be a free diet as well.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2569402)   #834
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really frustrated with all this... a week ago there was so much traffic about the whole trip now with people out there nothing is heard... there is mention of issues with accommodation and i'm sure people are trying their best, but WHAT do i need to take a sleeping bag and tent as well as my overalls????

Sorry if this all seems ungrateful but there is so much unknown and being one of the last ones there maybe i've been a marshall too long to trust anybody. We always get the rough end i'm just trying to determine how rough it's going to be...
Old 25 Oct 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2569407)   #835
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys 1st time I have had chance to get on the net since getting here. Apart from the overall problems thinks are great. There ar eno cooking or washing facilities in rooms but now there are at least fridges. The circuit look fantatsic and the GP2 cars by the end of yesterday were doing arond 1.50's give or take a couple of seconds. There is no WiFi available in the rooms hence 1st time on.
I have set up a photo album here http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnail...=skybroadband/

Any questions please ask. I have managed to get set up on the net using my phone as a modem.

Last edited by BeeJ; 25 Oct 2009 at 15:35. Reason: Add Link to Photos
Old 25 Oct 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2569418)   #836
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
I'm really frustrated with all this... a week ago there was so much traffic about the whole trip now with people out there nothing is heard... there is mention of issues with accommodation and i'm sure people are trying their best, but WHAT do i need to take a sleeping bag and tent as well as my overalls????

Sorry if this all seems ungrateful but there is so much unknown and being one of the last ones there maybe i've been a marshall too long to trust anybody. We always get the rough end i'm just trying to determine how rough it's going to be...
It reads to me like it's just a bit rough and ready, I don't think there's been any suggestion of you camping in the desert quite yet...

If you're concerned about specific issues and you're worried then I'd give BARC a ring as no doubt their officials are in touch with their office.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2569461)   #837
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ View Post
Hi Guys 1st time I have had chance to get on the net since getting here. Apart from the overall problems thinks are great. There ar eno cooking or washing facilities in rooms but now there are at least fridges. The circuit look fantatsic and the GP2 cars by the end of yesterday were doing arond 1.50's give or take a couple of seconds. There is no WiFi available in the rooms hence 1st time on.
I have set up a photo album here http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnail...=skybroadband/

Any questions please ask. I have managed to get set up on the net using my phone as a modem.
The pics look good, did you get to go out on a trip round Abu Dhabi on your day off? I can see why Motorsportgirli said "it is like auf weidershen pet!!" in the chalets. How much space is there in them?
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2569464)   #838
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Space is not to bad one of the photos that shows the 2 beds should give you a good idea. Went to Abu Dhabi today and they are running buses in and out mon,tues,and wed so you guys that arrive on tues night should be able to go on Weds.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2569474)   #839
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing specific, the term accommodation issues could mean that we don't all have rooms or the Concierge is on holiday

and thanks Beej it's amazing how a few pictures can answer so many questions. like i said it's dissapointing that noone else has reported back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
It reads to me like it's just a bit rough and ready, I don't think there's been any suggestion of you camping in the desert quite yet...

If you're concerned about specific issues and you're worried then I'd give BARC a ring as no doubt their officials are in touch with their office.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2569483)   #840
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is nothing specific, the term accommodation issues could mean that we don't all have rooms or the Concierge is on holiday
The accomodation issues where that the cabins werent ready when we arrived, they hadnt been cleaned etc. But they had large work parties on the case through the night and the following day so i assume they will be ready for when you arrive! Im sure the guys will fill you in on the first night adventures when you get there!!!

Oh the gym is good according to my friend! The food is good out there too
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2569486)   #841
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Quote:
The issue with accommodation was that most of it was not ready when we arrived. The organisers busted a gut to get it ready for us. Yes it was not as promised, no washing machines, no cooking facilities and no fridges. The rooms now have fridges.
If anybody fancies doing me a favour and bring me 12 or 24 cans of bitter from dutie free when you arrive I will pay you in Dirnhams when you arrive. Please PM to let me know if you can and if multiple people reply I will let people know yes or no to whether I need them. Thanks
Old 25 Oct 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2569516)   #842
margaret
Rookie

margaret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been reading some of the comments about Abu Dhabi. My husband and son were amongst the first batch, and I have had a few texts from them. Yes, the overalls were small, but it seems that the organisers are trying to sort that out. Their accommodation is basic, but clean, with all linen and towels provided. The food is good.
They've been into Abu Dhabi today and going to Dubi tomorrow. They say they are having a fantastic time and being very well looked after.
So, to all you lucky marshals heading out next week, have a great experience. Enjoy every minute.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2569530)   #843
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Main problem is lack of large, XL, XXL overalls, and even if they arrive? they appear to be made in Asia with the scaled down sizing to suit that population i.e. I am wearing XL weigh 10 1/2 stone and 5ft 5 1/2 inches 34 inch waist and only just fits!
I thought all the overalls were being made to measure, which is why we had to give our measurements when we applied??!
Old 25 Oct 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2569535)   #844
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
I thought all the overalls were being made to measure, which is why we had to give our measurements when we applied??!
There are various rumors going about here about what happened but as nothing has been confirmed I will not quote them
Old 25 Oct 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2569586)   #845
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Space is not to bad one of the photos that shows the 2 beds should give you a good idea. Went to Abu Dhabi today and they are running buses in and out mon,tues,and wed so you guys that arrive on tues night should be able to go on Weds.

That'll be good. Many Thanks.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2569589)   #846
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Most of the accommodation issues "should" be sorted by the time you arrive, but do not expect 3 star, basic youth hostel at best. Food is OK.

Even more reason to bring my own overalls with me, i'm 6' 2"
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2569628)   #847
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
The first thing that springs to mind is a Spinal Tap type error - confusing Inches for Centimetres?
Old 25 Oct 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2569686)   #848
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are various rumors going about here about what happened but as nothing has been confirmed I will not quote them
I blame Bernie

(wot, no crows feet on the overalls )

Come on chaps, stiff upper lip and all that......( worst thing is, you can't drown your sorrows. Is that why you request more beer BJ?)

Last edited by Stack; 25 Oct 2009 at 23:16.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 25 Oct 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2569689)   #849
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do belive we can make our own probans by rubbing down bed linen and dying them with fake tan ( more apologies to The Great Escape)

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:41 (Ref:2569785)   #850
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
I blame Bernie

(wot, no crows feet on the overalls )

Come on chaps, stiff upper lip and all that......( worst thing is, you can't drown your sorrows. Is that why you request more beer BJ?)
No just did not bring any with me and me and my cell mate could do with a couple.

To be fair I woke up on the Thurs morning with an attitude of its been fresh start and had great fun out here. You guys will love it
Closed Thread