Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 23 Nov 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3170123)   #851
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Still though, i'd imagine the NZV8 camp are pretty happy with that on their first decent testing stint. I would be nice to see some in-car footage, but i know that wont happen - i'm dead keen to see how this TT box goes to be honest, i.e. how fast the gear changes are etc and is the flat-shift working.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=379342988818922

WARNING, if like me you wear head phones turn the sound down before clicking! It comes on with car at full noise and it seems the volume default is max
Old 23 Nov 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3170161)   #852
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Rev, your not wrong about the volume....the cat just lept out from under the couch when it fired up...didn't even know he was there!

In any ones langauge that is a fast car. I noticed there was another vid too on their fb page that actually shows gear shifts etc which is interesting.

nice lap Bargs
Old 23 Nov 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3170168)   #853
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
That's the time from day one. Day two was 1.24

Not that there has been any claims (that I recall) about lap times between the two. It's looking like they could be pretty close. Which will make it easier if the do decide to amalgamate at some point.
Yes that could be interesting - could they up the HP to 575 in the LS3 easily I wonder?
Old 23 Nov 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3170171)   #854
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Yes that could be interesting - could they up the HP to 575 in the LS3 easily I wonder?
Well it is a Chev GB!
Old 24 Nov 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3170690)   #855
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
kewl!
Old 25 Nov 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3171315)   #856
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was interesting to watch it - but it was hardly a 'first' test given that it has run an enduro and done some testing already. Certainly a leap ahead of the old junkers though.

Looking at it close up, it definitely is not - in my opinion at least - quite as well built as a SuperTourer. There's a bigger difference between new and old Dunlops than there is with the Hankooks - I think that is a cert too.

As regards times, the best 'delta' time possible for a V8ST using combined practice and qualifying performances was indeed a 1.22 (.6 I think) and one of McLaughlin's laps was looking like a 1.22.9 before a small error. So the V8STs are quicker.

There's obviously quite a few more of them too! (I was told there will be 22 minimum on the grid at HD in February) And with drivers that are - Bargs apart - vastly, vastly superior to NZV8s.

You just cannot get away from those two factors, whichever way you cut it. Even if the car was faster (and I am absolutely certain that they were 'going for a time' from what I was seeing) - who cares?? There are quicker cars out there in NZ than the V8STs but they are not attracting the drivers, sponsors, interest, even the controversy.

I guess it's a shame because the product showed at Ruapuna it is pretty good, but I am more convinced than ever that the NZV8 series will now fail. Without at least 12 NEW cars and genuine star drivers to rival whatthe SuperTourers have, it doesn't stand a cat's chance in hell of attracting any meaningful series sponsorship or driver sponsorship. That's just a harsh commercial reality. Whether you guys or I think it is fair or not is irrelevant. 22 cars vs a max of 5 cars and some low ability club drivers like Dave Dovey making up the field in the old cars isn't going to work. A real shame that these guys are throwing so much of their own time and money at it and don't have the melons to admit they have lost this one. They'll be he poorer for it.
Old 25 Nov 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3171378)   #857
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
seriously.. who cares lol
Old 25 Nov 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3171431)   #858
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
seriously.. who cares lol

Well they've clealy got more money than sense then....!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3171561)   #859
sportsfan
Rookie

sportsfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all. Can anybody tell me please if the new Dunlop NZV8 tire ran for
53 laps non stop starting with 120 ltrs on board and was just as fast on lap 53 as lap 1.

Before we all get to far ahead of ourselves the difference between and soft tire and hard tire will be 3 seconds around Ruapuna.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3171567)   #860
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
Hi all. Can anybody tell me please if the new Dunlop NZV8 tire ran for
53 laps non stop starting with 120 ltrs on board and was just as fast on lap 53 as lap 1.

Before we all get to far ahead of ourselves the difference between and soft tire and hard tire will be 3 seconds around Ruapuna.
I was chatting to somebody over the weekend and the Dunlop Qualifying Tyre lasted around 6 Laps only and seemed to be about 2 sec quicker, so I guess the real pace is only in the 1m 26s range, so my guess with more power than a V8ST, something tells me they must have a slower Chassis and Tyre Package at this point.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3171570)   #861
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Ive forgottten, where were the claims of performance vs an ST.

Not that I really care about the trolling attempts
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3171575)   #862
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Not that I really care about the trolling attempts
Hmmm. I'm hearing pot......kettle......could the colour be black?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3171632)   #863
ccc member
Rookie

ccc member should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nistfan View Post
I was chatting to somebody over the weekend and the Dunlop Qualifying Tyre lasted around 6 Laps only and seemed to be about 2 sec quicker, so I guess the real pace is only in the 1m 26s range, so my guess with more power than a V8ST, something tells me they must have a slower Chassis and Tyre Package at this point.
How much do you actually know about motorsport? Chev LS3 6.2L engine at 520hp versus a Chev LS7 7L engine at 550hp. Maybe you should do some homework before you post dumb statements like this!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3171850)   #864
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc member View Post
How much do you actually know about motorsport? Chev LS3 6.2L engine at 520hp versus a Chev LS7 7L engine at 550hp. Maybe you should do some homework before you post dumb statements like this!
I can vouch that he actually knows quite a lot. And it was posted on here by DXV I think that the Tulloch car had 530HP at the flywheel - but there was definite talk around the traps that the car had 570HP. Either way you look at it, it's not a country mile away from an ST in HP, is the point being made.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3171908)   #865
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
what are the torque figures like between and LS3 and an LS7?

And also, does anyone know what the likely 'all-up' weight of the next gen car will be?

I think the ST's are now at 1375kg?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3172009)   #866
sportsfan
Rookie

sportsfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know what the proposed cost of the new NZV8 gear box started at and what is it now.

Also how is the parity testing coming along for the new cars. I guess with the Ford, Holden and Toyota all now running the engine parity has been completed. Anybody heard how much any of the engines had to be re-tuned to achieve parity?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3172011)   #867
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
Also how is the parity testing coming along for the new cars. I guess with the Ford, Holden and Toyota all now running the engine parity has been completed. Anybody heard how much any of the engines had to be re-tuned to achieve parity?
No idea on the gearbox but as far as engine parity is concerned, try these guys;

"Leading New Zealand tuning company Speedtech Motorsport (STM) were announced last week to be taking care of all ECU and engine parity tuning for the New Generation NZV8 cars."
Old 27 Nov 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3172021)   #868
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
http://www.speedtechnz.com/contact.html
Old 28 Nov 2012, 05:14 (Ref:3172433)   #869
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Oh I am very excited... Toyota talking to MSNZ about one make series for the 86.
Now, I'm usually against one make series, but these are actual sporty cars!
Old 28 Nov 2012, 05:17 (Ref:3172434)   #870
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Toyota 86 link
Old 28 Nov 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3172435)   #871
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
yip, thats cool. No doubt about it.

Wonder what the 'turn key' car will cost?
Old 28 Nov 2012, 06:14 (Ref:3172438)   #872
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now, I'm usually against one make series, but these are actual sporty cars!
One make one model? Count me out. Have we learned nothing in recent years?
Old 28 Nov 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3172453)   #873
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
One make one model? Count me out. Have we learned nothing in recent years?
Don't base a one make series on a boring FWD

There is a place for them, just not the entire programme
Old 28 Nov 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3172648)   #874
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a fun car to drive and handles very well. Not a super fast car though, but one that is enjoyable to drive in the twisties.

I think it will be fun as a one make series as long as the costs are kept reasonable and they don't try to add a bunch of bits to the car to jack up maintenance and the need to buy over inflated in cost parts. The car is great as it is and was designed by the engineers to be sturdy enough for regular track duty. In fact they even designed the space behind the front seats, when the rears are folded down to fit a set of 4 mounted slick tires as well as designing space in the cabin for a roll cage.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3172725)   #875
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are missing the point. Another grid (or quarter grid...) of identical cars, regardless of whether they are Toyotas, Fords, Chevrolets or Skodas, is NOT an attractive proposition. We have/had far too much one make/two make stuff as it is.

Why do Muscle car grids attract the spectator support, even though they are usually only a support class? Wander through the paddock at any race meeting and are the spectators ever clustered round any cars running in any of the "one make" series? Of course not. See one, see them all. Boring.

Aussie V8s and NZ Super Tourers, you can cheer for your favourite driver, but at a lower level, it is the cars that are important, not the drivers.