Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4076532)   #8776
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I think perhaps one or two current teams may not be around by 2026 (or bought by VAG)

I have always been against Porsche going to F1 because as a true dyed in the wool "Porschista" I have always felt the Porsche's spiritual home was (and is) in sportscar racing.
However, the prospect of a BoP prototype class is really quite unappealing to me. For the first time in my life I can say that I hope that this happens.

The only two F1 teams that look like they may not last until 2026, are Haas and Williams, but would VAG want to buy one of those teams, rather than starting afresh?
Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4076534)   #8777
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The only two F1 teams that look like they may not last until 2026, are Haas and Williams, but would VAG want to buy one of those teams, rather than starting afresh?
I cant answer that, but 2026 is a long way ahead and if what the article says is true, then it really does look like it will happen as it seems that the current established F1 teams only agreed to give up their lead in experience if the VW brands or other interested parties make a long-term commitment.
So , if we hear/see that this package is approved, then we can reasonably expect to see Audi and Porsche in F1
Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4076536)   #8778
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I cant answer that, but 2026 is a long way ahead and if what the article says is true, then it really does look like it will happen as it seems that the current established F1 teams only agreed to give up their lead in experience if the VW brands or other interested parties make a long-term commitment.
So , if we hear/see that this package is approved, then we can reasonably expect to see Audi and Porsche in F1

Maybe F1 will expand the number of teams to 12? I certainly hope so, as I think the field needs to be larger.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4076548)   #8779
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Maybe F1 will expand the number of teams to 12? I certainly hope so, as I think the field needs to be larger.

I agree. 10 teams isn’t enough. I just hope Porsche put in more of an effort than they were last in F1, their V12 engine was shameful to say the least. Their most successful time was when they let TAG run their engines in the McLaren
Old 1 Oct 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4076554)   #8780
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree. 10 teams isn’t enough. I just hope Porsche put in more of an effort than they were last in F1, their V12 engine was shameful to say the least. Their most successful time was when they let TAG run their engines in the McLaren
TAG financed the engine. Porsche designed, built and ran the engine.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4076564)   #8781
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
TAG financed the engine. Porsche designed, built and ran the engine.

Close enough. Just shows Porsche weren’t prepared to fund the engine themselves
Old 1 Oct 2021, 23:31 (Ref:4076594)   #8782
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Contrary to forum beliefs, the number of teams is not limited at 10. The only problem is that any new team joining is required to pay $200 million. The sum is then equally distributed among existing teams as compensation for 'diluting the cost of their franchise'. One can avoid that payment by acquiring an existing team.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 02:44 (Ref:4076618)   #8783
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Close enough. Just shows Porsche weren’t prepared to fund the engine themselves
Porsche does (and always has) much consulting and engineering work for other organizations/projects/companies. They were approached and commissioned by TAG to build the engine.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4076637)   #8784
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for clarifying

To SG’s point, it sounds like Porsche, if they do get involved, will have a very different kind of involvement than their previous forays into F1.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4076647)   #8785
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Contrary to forum beliefs, the number of teams is not limited at 10. The only problem is that any new team joining is required to pay $200 million. The sum is then equally distributed among existing teams as compensation for 'diluting the cost of their franchise'. One can avoid that payment by acquiring an existing team.

That still leaves a field of only 10 teams.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 12:55 (Ref:4076651)   #8786
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That still leaves a field of only 10 teams.
11th team pays compensation to existing 10.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4076652)   #8787
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
11th team pays compensation to existing 10.

I get that, but that costs a lot as Pandamasque explained.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4076654)   #8788
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I don't want to stir up the "illuminatti" here , but there is a strong possibility that Porsche may only be an engine supplier. Look to Red Bull.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4076657)   #8789
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't want to stir up the "illuminatti" here , but there is a strong possibility that Porsche may only be an engine supplier. Look to Red Bull.

Red Bull confirmed they will take over Honda's Formula 1 engines from the 2022 season onwards, under the auspices of a new company called Red Bull Powertrains.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-b...h-new-company/
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4076658)   #8790
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Red Bull confirmed they will take over Honda's Formula 1 engines from the 2022 season onwards, under the auspices of a new company called Red Bull Powertrains.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-b...h-new-company/
Not really supposed to discuss this here, but according to the article you posted this is valid 2022-2024 inclusive.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4076659)   #8791
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what I can see, the article continues on the theme about the tweaks to the engine regs that encourages VW to be interested. It seems to surmise it would be Audi and Porsche that would benefit (similar to LMDH).

I assumed that if they did enter F1 it would be as an engine supplier rather than a full team. Although I too assumed F1 wasn’t Porsche’s bag.

Who knows it’s speculation at the moment.

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Oct 2021 at 13:52.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:50 (Ref:4076660)   #8792
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Not really supposed to discuss this here, but according to the article you posted this is valid 2022-2024 inclusive.

Not wanting to derail the thread any further, 2022-2024 covers the engine development freeze. The new F1 engine regs come in, in 2025 so I suppose they could then opt for Porsche power but having gone to all that trouble to set up Red Bull Powertrains, it seems strange.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4076664)   #8793
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Speculation indeed! Its what we do here.

F1 has not really been a Porsche bag except on specific occasions (successfully 1984-1986).
There has been word that there has been some "pressure" on VAG to go to F1. It seems that both Audi and Porsche have been (unsurprisingly) the two brands that will represent VAG in F1 if the leap is made.

I can tell you that some time ago when this was being discussed (about 3 or 4 years ago) I had a very good contact in the German motorsport journalist community (with good Porsche contacts) that told me that Porsche was looking at going to F1 with a full team built from the ground up.

Now, I think that this may no longer be the case, although the original article that I posted does not specify this. (except for caption on one of the photos that claims that Porsche will enter as an engine supplier only)
So...If this is true, the "cap" on the number of teams in F1 argument is mute, unless Audi has other plans.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4076669)   #8794
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Not wanting to derail the thread any further, 2022-2024 covers the engine development freeze. The new F1 engine regs come in, in 2025 so I suppose they could then opt for Porsche power but having gone to all that trouble to set up Red Bull Powertrains, it seems strange.
It is a lot of effort for a short term solution, but that’s F1! I suppose they had little choice.

I suppose slowly over the next few years the speculation will change to sometying more concrete, or go away!
Old 13 Oct 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4078330)   #8795
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Penske in LMP2 to better prepare for LMDh?
https://www.endurance-info.com/auto/...eparer-le-lmdh
Old 18 Oct 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4078988)   #8796
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the Porsche LMDH looked as beautiful as this render

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVJg-zkM..._web_copy_link
Old 18 Oct 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4079021)   #8797
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I wish the Porsche LMDH looked as beautiful as this render

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVJg-zkM..._web_copy_link
Very nice indeed.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 14:44 (Ref:4079103)   #8798
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I like that. We'll see if its close, probably soon.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4079133)   #8799
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Team Penske in LMP2 to better prepare for LMDh?
https://www.endurance-info.com/auto/...eparer-le-lmdh

As the ex-LMP1 car will be still eligible for 2022. I wonder if it will better for Penske to run an ex-R13 rather than an Oreca 07. At least, they will have more freedom for their driver (no silver mandatory) and the running cost between those two cars should not be significant I think
Old 19 Oct 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4079140)   #8800
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Similar to Tandy, Bamber too has put himself out of contention for a drive in the Porsche LMDh by defecting to Cadillac