Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2641221)   #901
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I believe the Autosport article mentioned performance balancing for P2, so you'd then hope that cars like the RS Spyder would be limited to P1. But I'm not sure P2 necessarily needs performance balancing, unless its just to help smaller builders like Radical, Lucchini and Norma.
My worry is that an LMP2 entrant is going to face a fairly stark choice:

1. Go with something comparatively unusual, like a Norma or WR, and run the risk of it not being sorted when it first runs, having taken a developmental wrong turn at some stage, and not being able to evolve the car, and thus be condemned to a year of relative uncompetitiveness

2. Use a more commonly employed and possibly better developed chassis, like an ORECA LMPC based machine. The benefit of this is it's a completely known quantity and, through having run in considerable numbers for the last couple of years, will be about as sorted as it can be.

This is the scenario where I worry that there's the prospect of LMP2 becoming almost a de facto spec series. Okay, the likely outcome of something like this is a gravitation towards teams running one of an ORECA, Lola, or Zytek package, but ultimately I'd like to see a wider variety here, and scope for multiple constructors to try and do something different. I'm not certain a development freeze necessarily helps us towards this.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2641388)   #902
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Endurance-Info.com are reporting the successful shakedown of the RML Lola HPD (have I got that right?) at Silverstone last Tuesday and Wednesday. First impressions were very positive, although the weather probably made any true assessment of the package, impossible.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2641420)   #903
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
The last mention of the team on Tenths was as a result of a recruitment ad having been spotted (in Autosport, I think).
Well, the link is an indirect one, but DAILY SPORTSCAR are reporting that Warren Hughes has signed for Quifel ASM. He will be the third driver at Paul Ricard and Le Mans, and will also be on standby for all the other LMS races, should the team decide to run with a third driver.

As I said, an indirect link to Team WFR, but perhaps a significant one?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2641433)   #904
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Endurance-Info.com are reporting the successful shakedown of the RML Lola HPD (have I got that right?) at Silverstone last Tuesday and Wednesday. First impressions were very positive, although the weather probably made any true assessment of the package, impossible.
Looks like another defection to Dunlop as well.

No mention of Honda anywhere on the car that I can see.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2641443)   #905
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Looks like another defection to Dunlop as well.
I think this was already known, but I may be wrong. Certainly Dunlop have put considerable resources into developing their LMP2 tyre and have caught up and bettered Michelin in this class. Michelin, it would appear, have been content for their LMP2 teams to take whatever they are given (DTM tyres?) and make do, whilst concentrating thier development work on their LMP1 'diesel tyre'. I would anticipate an interesting 'tyre war' between the two manufacturers in LMP1 next year!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2641527)   #906
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Mariantic's blog posted a link to some photos and a video.
Here is the link to the vid, you may have to scroll down past several videos to find the Rebellion video.
Thanks, you're right, that sounds awesome!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2641560)   #907
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think this was already known, but I may be wrong. Certainly Dunlop have put considerable resources into developing their LMP2 tyre and have caught up and bettered Michelin in this class. Michelin, it would appear, have been content for their LMP2 teams to take whatever they are given (DTM tyres?) and make do, whilst concentrating thier development work on their LMP1 'diesel tyre'. I would anticipate an interesting 'tyre war' between the two manufacturers in LMP1 next year!
DTM is using Dunlops
Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2641592)   #908
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
DTM is using Dunlops
Ah, well they won't be DTM tyres then.........
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2641695)   #909
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Thanks, you're right, that sounds awesome!
Yup, but not half as good as the GV4 did...
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2641709)   #910
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yup, but not half as good as the GV4 did...
I don't know... after they quieted the engines the Judd has lost something.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2642192)   #911
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't know... after they quieted the engines the Judd has lost something.
The GV4 disappeared before the noise regs changed...!?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2642214)   #912
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yep it did, last time it ran in a major sports car series was 2005, it was obviously then superceeded by the 5.0 V10, then in 2007 those bloody noise regs came in
Old 28 Feb 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2642322)   #913
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
yep it did, last time it ran in a major sports car series was 2005, it was obviously then superceeded by the 5.0 V10, then in 2007 those bloody noise regs came in
A bit of both I suppose. Going to some historic races and hearing unsilenced Judds reminds me every year.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2642385)   #914
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
A bit of both I suppose. Going to some historic races and hearing unsilenced Judds reminds me every year.
Seeing the group C cars at the Silverstone Classic opened my eyes as to how tame the LMS cars sound. We have some glorious sounding cars at the moment, Lola Aston's, Vette's, Judd 5.5 V10, Aston V8 Vantage. But every year the cars get quieter and tamer sounding.
The Signature Oreca this year was very quiet, still sounded good, but unsilenced in 2008 it was noticeably louder and had a more aggresive exhaust note.

LMS is the only race series in the world were the support series cars are a LOT louder and now pretty much sound better as well. I dont see why the LMS cars cant atleast partially lift the noise limits or abolish them. Take the new mufflers on the 430 GT2's. They sound better but they are stupidly quiet, similar noise levels to a GT3 430 now. That aint a good thing!
Old 2 Mar 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2643341)   #915
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Spyker Squadon will be back for the full LMS with the same drivers http://www.planetlemans.com/2010/03/...orsport-plans/
Old 2 Mar 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2643366)   #916
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is good news. Glad to see Spyker back!

L.P.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2643375)   #917
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the same drivers as last year...

All drivers have Spyker Squadron experience though.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2648799)   #918
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So JMW have Darren Turner for LMS, but not at LM24. Jamie Campbell-Walter has been mooted as a replacement.
Who else would folks like to see in the Dunlop Aston?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2648810)   #919
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Does Joao Barbosa have a drive for LM yet?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2648851)   #920
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Don't know but what I know is that he will drive a N.Techonlogy developed Porsche Panamera in Superstars.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2648861)   #921
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
So JMW have Darren Turner for LMS, but not at LM24. Jamie Campbell-Walter has been mooted as a replacement.
Who else would folks like to see in the Dunlop Aston?
Tim Mullen , Kevin McGaritty , Karl Wendlinger , Johnny Herbert , but I expect at least Herbert or Wendlinger in the P1 Aston .
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2648866)   #922
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Don't know but what I know is that he will drive a N.Techonlogy developed Porsche Panamera in Superstars.
I know, and they race at Hockenheim on the Le Mans weekend, but then they aren't going for the championship this year anyway, so I could imagine him skipping Hockenheim for Le Mans...
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2648876)   #923
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not that I know of yet either, but you might want to try asking in the LM threads rather than LMS, someone might know.

I would expect someone will have him onboard though by the time June comes around.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2648938)   #924
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He is working on it... but nothing very solid by now.
The idea is to be on Le Mans... but... is not being easy to get an minimum competitive drive.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2648939)   #925
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He wont be doing all the races... the fact is that for now only portimão round is confirmed. he will be the development driver for the panamera