Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1461800)   #76
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad
Not ours after the WHT!!! lol
Just a bit of spit and polish is all that's needed Andy.
Target date : 4 Dec
Target Drivers for one of the Gough offspring : inc Peter Dempsey, Justin Dawkins and Johnny Hutch.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1461803)   #77
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Just a bit of spit and polish is all that's needed Andy.
Err, and new engine, bodywork, nosebox etc. etc.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1461809)   #78
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
So the engine was only a loan then?
Tank tape and a big hammer etc. etc.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1461828)   #79
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Tank tape and a big hammer etc. etc.
Isn't the big hammer the Fine Tuner!. (Been working with theatrical people recently and they call Tank tape Gaffa Tape - They will learn eventually - bin holding racing cars together for years)
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1462050)   #80
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ian would love to do the Anglesey event - I think with the three races he might be able to bin his Novice cross on the back.

Just going to take a bit of time getting a new honeycombe nosebox, nosecone and shocker panel and assemble a new engine.

As a matter of interest, Stu hit a prehistoric at unabated speed at the WHT. He had no time to even brake and reckons the car was doing about 50mph slower than him. He didn't even have a rain light for goodness sake!

The nosebox on the Swift took the impact, then ran over the roll hoop of the other car. For all you other Swift drivers out there, never ever compromise on a cheap single skin nosebox.

Apart from your feet, a similair impact would for sure have taken out master cylinders and rack and probably chassis. And you would not have been out in the final within 25 minutes of getting back to the garage either.

Another thing, you don't need to bother tracking your car up either - Stu had about 10mm of toe out on one side and came from 21st to 6th. His steering wheel was offset by about 20 degrees. He came back and told me it was handling the best ever!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1462063)   #81
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad
Another thing, you don't need to bother tracking your car up either - Stu had about 10mm of toe out on one side and came from 21st to 6th. His steering wheel was offset by about 20 degrees. He came back and told me it was handling the best ever!
Which says what about your prep skills exactly? LOL.

And you worked on the car for about 60 hours over the weekend too, so you've got no excuse!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1462139)   #82
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Which says what about your prep skills exactly? LOL.

And you worked on the car for about 60 hours over the weekend too, so you've got no excuse!

Mmm, you are right john, we did spend about 60 hours on the car, chasing all sorts of weird faults. If Dave Hart and Westec were baffled what chance has a mere Kartingdad got!!

I suppose its not my prep skills that were outstanding but rather the nut behind the wheel.

To launch yourself over a slower cars roll hoop flat out and then jump back in the ( bodged) car 25 mins later and still go flat out in zero visibility suggests that someone has got a severe lack of imagination.

And I thought I was daft doing over 120mph in thick fog when I used to rally....
Old 17 Nov 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1463108)   #83
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Ginetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not as old as most of you, but the nicest FF1600 car I ever saw was a Reynard 81, Not sure what letters came before or after. but it was very nice looking
Old 17 Nov 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1463216)   #84
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginetta
I'm not as old as most of you, but the nicest FF1600 car I ever saw was a Reynard 81, Not sure what letters came before or after. but it was very nice looking
Not sure but i think it looked exactly the same as the one i raced last year, which belongs to UCLAN. A very pretty car indeed.As you can see it is now white. I prefered it in red.

[img=http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2995/973220041106wildfireimag2tn.jpg]
Old 17 Nov 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1463219)   #85
JohnMiller
Veteran

I think that's a rather newer model?
Old 17 Nov 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1463227)   #86
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I think that's a rather newer model?
Your right, i should wear my glasses more then i could properly see what i was reading. Anyway having plugged into this thread a few time i am convinced the 89 Reynard is the most attractive FF1600 ever made bar none.Below is the white one i mentioned in my previous post . dont know what happened.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1463232)   #87
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Not sure but i think it looked exactly the same as the one i raced last year, which belongs to UCLAN. A very pretty car indeed.As you can see it is now white. I prefered it in red.

[img=http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2995/973220041106wildfireimag2tn.jpg]

No it's not that one. It's the one with the 'table' on the back behind the engine. I'm told that at the time some of the scrutineers objected to this pece of bodywork and it had to be removed. I've also been told it was the 81F. If that helps
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1463235)   #88
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
See my next post below. I need to wear my glasses more !!!!.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1463249)   #89
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
No the one I saw didn't have an air intake for the engine
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1463257)   #90
JohnMiller
Veteran

It's totally different, the 87-92FF was a newer generatiopn altogether...
Old 17 Nov 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1463363)   #91
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Definaitely an 81F or FF, It was a photo and it was dark blue
Old 17 Nov 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1463475)   #92
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 89 reynard is obviously a lovely looking car, beautiful nose, but an horrible big wide roll hoop - spoils it, although probably very strong. Judging by recent performances they are still quite quick, which when it comes down to it is what they are designed for. Going back to an earlier part of the thread I was given the job of doing the initial artist impressions of the Royale RP26 back in the 70's, by the agency I was working for at the time. Pat Symonds (now with Renault) gave me photos of an Eagle Indy car which had been racing in the States around the same time. That's where the RP26 got it's squared front cockpit section from. It was supposed to be good aero wise. I did various sketches, which I think although it was along time ago were pretty close to the final product.

PS. Do ten-tenths have a spell check because my spillings crop!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1463483)   #93
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ginetta do you have a photo of the 81 Reynard never seen one.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1463502)   #94
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athgoe Racing
Ginetta do you have a photo of the 81 Reynard never seen one.
I have, but it's in my dad's Photo collection and we don't have a scanner. The one he has a photo of was taken in the July of 1981 at Croft and belonged to a guy called Walter Warwick and was dark blue in colour
Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1463523)   #95
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
I've found an '82 Reynard, Which is similar, but not exactly the same

http://www.varac.ca/Festival/Images/LoweReynardFF.jpg
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1463547)   #96
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Looks like a American version of the 82 Reynard - More aerodynamics.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1463568)   #97
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Looks like a American version of the 82 Reynard - More aerodynamics.
It is and I did say it was similar, The '81 didn't have such a big biton the back and didn't have the air intake
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1463588)   #98
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginetta
I have, but it's in my dad's Photo collection and we don't have a scanner. The one he has a photo of was taken in the July of 1981 at Croft and belonged to a guy called Walter Warwick and was dark blue in colour
IIRC there were two Reynard 82FF cars ready for the 1982 end of season FF Festival. They were basically the prototypes of the Reynard 83FF and, I think, the first ever Reynard FF1600s' - other than the original thing that Adrian Reynard built and raced himself, prior to setting up Reynard Racing Cars
One was driven by James Weaver and the other by North Eastern driver, Wally Warwick. This wasn't until Oct 1982 though, so your dad's photo of Wally at his home circuit of Croft in July 1981 must have been in another car, probably a Van Diemen RF79 or RF80, both of which had a basically flat rear body section.
I'm probably totally wrong, but hope this helps.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1463659)   #99
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
IIRC there were two Reynard 82FF cars ready for the 1982 end of season FF Festival. One was driven by James Weaver and the other by North Eastern driver, Wally Warwick.
Hi Diz. back in those long long ago days of 1982 when I first started Messing about in a Formula Ford I was working in Germany. On my way back on the ferry one time I met up with Don Hardman (of Marque Cars fame - I always said it would come to nothing) & others who were heading off to Zolder for a Euro FF race. So instead of going to work I spent the weekend sleeping in the back of my VW Golf in the Zolder Paddock. The talk of the English pack was of Wally Warwick and the 10 car protest at Donington. Was that in the Reynard cos it must have been in 82 because it was before I met my much beloved (she still is). I remember the 83 Reynards cos a saw the back of them at the start and the front in my mirrors about 10 laps later!!!!
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1463933)   #100
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Couldn't have been 82. Croft close in October 81. I know it's a Reynard Because there was a photo of the reynard badge.