Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1284731)   #76
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gerry marshall

I was speaking to a friend today who knew Gerry and is at Silverstone for the VSCC meet. Apparently he was testing a Camero at the time and went doing what he enjoyed and did not suffer.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1284740)   #77
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great loss to British Motorsport. Probably the greatest National driver of all time.

The idea of the Gerry Marshall Trophy is an excellent idea.

Andrew, would you consider making prints of that painting available to raise money for the charities & causes that Gerry supported?

My condolences to family and friends.

Rob.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1284754)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Such a sad loss. I met him a few times - my father knew him reasonably well - and every time was in a bar! Bet he's "up there" even now getting the beers in - probably found my dad in the celestial pub already!

Motorsport is a lot poorer for losing such a character, we badly need more like him today.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1284755)   #79
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I'd come on here for a look at today's news and find this. Aboslutely devastated. GM has been a legend since I went to my first race meeting some 20 odd years ago.

My thoughts to all his friends and family and those officials involved in the incident.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1284764)   #80
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard so much about the man from my British friends, he must have been quite a character, and quite a driver. Obviously a great loss for British racing, and racing in general.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1284786)   #81
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news. Gerry was a great character and was always spectacular behind the wheel.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1284822)   #82
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news. I was lucky enough to spend a night or two in is local, bumping into him by pure chance, and it was a memorable time.

RIP
Old 23 Apr 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1284915)   #83
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was a real shock to me, I was supposed to meet him for lunch at Silverstone yesterday. Gerry was a great man in all senses of the word and it was a huge honour to have known him. I was especially honoured when he agreed to be the Formula Saloons Club President and he was a great supporter of the Championship.
I will miss sitting listening to him go on about his past antics and although he loved to talk about them he was also generally interested in what you had to say, which is rare for someone who has done as much as he has.
British Motorsport is a lot poorer because of his loss.
RIP Big Man and thank you.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1285230)   #84
Turner Sports
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Turner Sports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Sad day - Thanks for entertaining us all for so many years Gerry
Old 24 Apr 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1285389)   #85
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard about this very sad loss to racing yesterday morning on my way to marshal at Oulton. I last saw Gerry demonstrating Bertha at a BTCC meeting at Silverstone a couple of years ago. Vauxhall astra coupe BTCC car was flat out, Gerry was only using 75% throttle and having to back off in a lot of corners. Amazing guy! For the Marshals that watched Gerry racing, we have lost a true entertainer.

RIP big man.

Last edited by Mike Kelly 1; 24 Apr 2005 at 00:19.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 24 Apr 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1285601)   #86
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sad, sad loss what a great bloke, only met him twice, once in the 60's when he tried to demolish a toilet block in his Super Sabre while I was in there doing my business, frightened the life out of me, the second time years later when he approched me to run his Group A Metro Turbo in the ModProds but unfortunately it did not comply, what a pity. His Sister-in Law comes into my shop regularly snd she will be devastated.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1285735)   #87
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sport has lost a true giant. Thanks for all thegreat memories Gerry, we will not see your like again.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1286038)   #88
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
The Gerry Marshall trophy would be an excellent idea, something which summed up Gerry.

Autosport do a Club driver award dont they?
This is something that should be pursued - probably at MSA level - a proper long term tribute - possibly club level driver of the year - possibly driver who most entertains marshalls by their driving - both as suggested above

Whatever it is it should be extremely visible as I doubt there is anyone in British motorsport who has not at some point been in awe of Gerry's skills - be it drinking or driving !
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1286323)   #89
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met Gerry on many occations when he was racing TVR's, never again will there be a man who could race and drink at Gerry's level.
A true Gent in every way.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1286403)   #90
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just read the new about Gerry Marshall. Firstly my condolences to his family and close friends. A wonderfull man and larger than life character, a superb driver and a man who lived his life, his way. I watched and admired him many times in those great Vauxhalls. Great times, perhaps never to be repeated in that way. He will of course be sadly missed. Rest in Peace. ( What a party him and Tony L will have been having this weekend !!!.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1286846)   #91
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts
Such sad news. You will be missed Gerry. There now needs to be a "Marshalls" corners somewhere in the UK.
Rename Luffield at Silverstone where he "stopped" in front of the BRDC clubhouse?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1286866)   #92
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
Rename Luffield at Silverstone where he "stopped" in front of the BRDC clubhouse?
In one of the other threads I echoed the idea of an annual award but this too is massively appropriate
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1286887)   #93
digger
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire U.K
digger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read this & deeply shocked, Gerry was The master of the sideways Aston & anything else he was driving too.
Seen in action many times at Thruxton & got the chance to speak to the Great man at Goodwood.
Will be very sadly missed by us all.

R.I.P. Gerry
Old 25 Apr 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1286928)   #94
Sideways-Fast
Rookie

Sideways-Fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many great memories of an amazing fella.
Nearly all of them involved being sideways at some point on a circuit! More often than not, quite a way down the straights that followed, too!!!
Gerry was one of the first drivers my dad told me to watch when we first spectated, back in the early 80's. Since then, we just watched in awe not only at his amazing car control, but also at his racecraft and his ability to cooly control a race whilst under intense pressure.
Quite a few times though we stared, open mouthed, as he drifted his way through Craner or Woodcote and then fell about laughing having realised that what he was doing should really not be possible!
I think it made my dads day-no,lifetime - a year or so ago, when we saw Gerry sat in dads fave car, an AC Cobra...
Never a dull moment on the track. Sadly, we weren't fortunate enough to see his performances in the bars of this land!
Thank you so very much for entertaining us anoraks and, if you can read this, you're the inspiration behind my sign-in name!!! Rest in peace and revving engines, Gerry.
Neil and Richard Gardner.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1287033)   #95
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think renaming the corner would be massively appropriate also. Time for lots of letters to the BRDC and silverstone circuits Ltd!!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1287279)   #96
telfire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Winchester hants
telfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really Really Sad News. I watched Gerry from Old Nail; Big and Baby Bertha; various Capris; Triumphs; TVR's; Astons and last year the Alvis Grey Lady. He was always fast and sideways. Always gave it all and always fair. I was very pleased to be there when the BARC presented him with a Gold Medal. Racing will never be the same again.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1287476)   #97
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been meaning to post here for a few days now. I still can't believe it. What a true character he was, on and off the track. I have a few memories, like the time we signalled to him that his car was on fire.He did a complete lap just to bring it back to our post. He said as we let him know he thought we would like to put it out for him!
I also remember watching him at Seer driving a TVR in a 3hr endurance race pushing the car sideways like it was a ten lapper. I don't know what gear he was in but it was definately higher than most drivers would use for that corner.
And who can forget the St Mary's Trophy race in 1999 in the rain with Gerry winning in the Lotus Cortina? The best 'wet' race I have ever seen.
I never saw him during the days of the Bertha's but I glad I was at Snet when he made the magic 600.
He deserves all the accolades that Motor racing can bestow on him. Outside F1 there aren't many drivers greater and more respected then Gerry, if any!

Steve B
Old 26 Apr 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1287931)   #98
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Tony, now Gerry. Rest in peace both.

Like Jim, I grew as a marshal as Gerry was growing as a driver, back in the 60's when you raced, won and drank after with the marshals in the bar.

A sporting gentleman, while always wanting to win, he was no lover of a walk-over. On several occassions at Thruxton during the Bertha era, I can recall him deliberately spinning out of the lead simply so he could "do it all again" and still go on to win.

The entertainment will be missed, the stories will be missed, but most of all the man will be missed.

R.I.P.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1288262)   #99
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I knew Gerry personally since ‘short trouser school days’, racing to school together on our bicycles - guess who won? In fact in school athletics Gerry was a demon runner, and in spite of his let’s say generous proportions was still able to win many a wagered 100 yard dash quite late in his life. Gerry’s competition career started around the same time as mine, although I went the motorcycle racing route we remained close friends. However in the 70’s he persuaded me to double the number of wheels and have a bash at saloon car racing. His ‘tricks of the trade’ help and advise enabled me to be a front runner right from the start. I will never forget him taking a road going Opel Commodore round Brands with me in the front passenger seat and my father and Tony Lanfranchi in the back….. When we got back in the Bar (where else!) someone (best not say who!) came up to Gerry to give him a dressing down for being irresponsible by taking passengers round the track bla, bla, bla…. The real reason however was that Gerry had somewhat shamed this guy by passing him into Paddock Bend….. and he was in a competition car!!!

A few Gerryisms:-

On testing his Vauxhall Magnum for him I experienced a brake malady. Interrupting him in the Bar I reported this. “Oh yeah the brakes…. that’s okay… they only slow you down anyway!”

“Driving only gets interesting after a 100 mph.”

I have so many anecdotes and memories of this truly fantastic driver I could go on and on. This was a racer in the ‘real’ sense of the word.

They don’t make ‘em like you anymore Gerry, you will be missed.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1288393)   #100
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motorsport News have dedicated a large section of this weeks issue to Gerry - eight pages plus the entire front cover with the headline 'Farewell to a King'.

A fitting tribute.