Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 6 Dec 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1478520)   #76
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
probably did about 15 posts ago

Go Webber , he can cut it and he surely will he just needs to find that little bit that is lacking at present (and i dont even know what that is ?), once he does watch him fly even more
Old 6 Dec 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1478522)   #77
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of the criticism about Webber comes from:

1) He has been talked up more than nearly any other driver on the grid;
2) NH always falls below the raidar.

So when you have these two in the same team and they a roughly equal one another in race speed, naturally people are going to criticise MW and crown the other.

I'm a huge fan of Webber's however I must conceed that he has a lot to prove. In fact, he will be the first to admit it.

Also, I think I like Webber not because of his driving necessarily but because of how he conducts himself. He is brutally honest. In addition he works sooo hard. I admire these qualities in any one no matter what country they come from. I can't like a driver who doesn't have these qualities no matter how good they are.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 04:17 (Ref:1478680)   #78
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
Have to agree with you - a lot of expectations but the talent just isn't there IMO. If you look at his racing career he has NEVER been champion in any category that he has done.:
My friend makes that point. But to be fair he has never really stayed in a series long enough to get himself a championship. His rookie seasons showed glimpses of speed with occasional great results. He moved on as quick as he could always with the goal of getting to F1. Im sure he would have loved a title, but when opportunites came up that took him a step closer to F1 he took them....I dont know but i suspec tthat even in his rookie seasons etc in lower classes he never got beat by his team mates??? I know Zonta in the sister Merc beat him in Sportscars, but i dont know how much that means?

The fact that he is in F1, and the fact that financially you would have to say that his ability typically got him his race seats...I dont think anyone is that lucky to have competitive seats fall in their lap time and time again when they are not bringing much in the way of sponsorship to a team...he must have a level of talent that team principles see/respect.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 04:29 (Ref:1478681)   #79
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He and Williams will be better than you might think in 2006.

The chassis is responding to changes and the engine is going to amonst the better units for at least the first half of the season.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 04:44 (Ref:1478687)   #80
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I believe that Mark Webber is as good as it gets. That is my honest belief, he will prove his worth in time, he strikes me as a chap with lots of integrity, he is committed and tries very hard.

"Seasons Greetings" to everyone at 10 Tenths!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1479556)   #81
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a massive Webber fan, and not ashamed to admit it. Been a member of his Supporters Club since 1997

Yes he gets talked up. First Aussie in F1 for a damn long time, so naturally he will get pumped up by the media. He will also suffer from the tall poppy syndrome cast on all great Aussie sportsmen. I don't believe he gets anywhere near the hype that Jenson Button gets though, who's had more F1 experience and also hasn't won a race yet

Webber has a lot to prove, but so do Williams F1. Both are determined to succeed against the odds and fight back to their rightful places at the top.

Time will tell if we're right or wrong though.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1479569)   #82
mamba
Rookie

mamba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
give the bloody man a break boys and girls. so what if williams was a **** car 05 season at least he knows to how to ring its neck out the thing. if you dont build a stong car you cant show the drivers potental ok.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1479581)   #83
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I vote for closing the thread, the boy has done more than his share of blood, sweat and tears to get to his dreams and you can say he can't drive, but give Mark a break
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1479588)   #84
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, the minardi was not a strong car and still someone like Alonso was able to impress with it. Granted he was Flavio's boy back then but so was Mark.
I'm still of the opinion that he has to prove himself next year or say bye-bye to his future as a WDC contender.

I vote for closure as well, as anything has been said already and we're just repeating ourselves.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1479598)   #85
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Mark did impress in the Minardi, arguably a lot more than Alonso did.

Closing this thread would be a good thing. Let the subject rest until Bahrain in three months time...
Old 8 Dec 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1479630)   #86
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly seems to be a lot of support for Webber at present, I'd still maintain that he's fairly average among the current drivers. Any enrgative feelings people have about him are probably due to the excessive hyping and petty attitutes of some of his supporters, who take any criticism as an insult to all 20 million of their citizens, which is surely not the intention.

Mark has to beat Nico next year to keep his reputation going. He showed some promising signs late in the season, with less ragged driving and some strong performances at key 'driver's circuits', and he needs to buid on that. I wonder how significant it is that he improved once Nick disappeared from the team? Directly or otherwise, I think Nick rattled Mark, hence the infamous "Nick just sits there" interview.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1479640)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since Philips Razors is now a major Williams sponsor, I would suggest Mr Webber could indeed 'cut it'
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Dec 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1479668)   #88
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think everything that can be said has been said repeatedly. Closed.