Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2702752)   #76
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I thought that Frans Verschuur wanted to be back with another car manufacturer this year, or was that next year? I must have read it somewhere in an interview last year.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2702759)   #77
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no intention of doing Le Mans at Equipe Verschuur right now at all. Or at least as far as I know but I am pretty well informed.

edit: We did try to contact Dome at the time to see if a project for 2009 was possible but we got no reply whatsoever. I think some of that might have gotten into some interviews or other and might be what you are thinking of.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2703278)   #78
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walking through the gates on Friday evening and wandering around the village and standing in the stands looking at the dormant track, knowing what's coming tomorrow.

Hearing the motors wailing around the track for warm up (I hardly ever bother going to watch), whilst tucking into the fry up breakfast.

Drinking a coffee and a croissant in the bar on the Place de la Republic, walking up around the old town and the Cathedral (checking out the super expensive MTB shop and the weddings at the town hall), dropping down the stairs by the Cathedral to drink a beer in the bar, usually a good collection of supercars here, either parked or passing by.

Heading to the track after lunch. The tension as 4PM (or 3PM or 2PM or whatever time it starts any particular year) draws around - Watching the helicopter heading towards us, seeing the cars burst into view.

I could go on, but I sense this could take a VERY long time

Specific moments? Well, 1979 was my first race and it was extremely dramatic, I can recall Paul Newman's car coming in late on with problems, resulting in them not getting the win, but the goosebump moment is the crowd willing (without success) Bell's Mirage to get out of the pits right at the end of the race.

1988 - Standing on the pit straight singing the national anthem watching the Jaguar drivers on the podium and then the sight of French people waving Union Jacks (where did they get them from?) at UK registered cars as we drove back to Le Havre - Liberation from the Germans all over again!

It's always great, but those were the REAL highlights for me.

I hope to be back next year.

M.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2703459)   #79
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Lipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine is waking up to the sound of the warming-up of the cars on Saturday morning...

oh yes, and that brown sign next to the road with the group C cars on it.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2703469)   #80
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipp View Post

oh yes, and that brown sign next to the road with the group C cars on it.

That's clearly a 'biggie' for many people!
Old 2 Jun 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2703518)   #81
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think it's the contrast that does it. On my first visit in '07 we drove over from Mons in Belgium on the Friday, and while the route pretty much takes you along the route of the retreat in 1914 and then across the Somme, with all its obvious connotations for British history, we commented that none of the brown signs mentioned anything much to do with the Great War. We figured said brown signs were exclusively reserved for sundry chateaux, vinyards etc, and thought no more about it, using the signs to mark time more than anything else.

Then, once you enter La Sarthe you get the Group C cars and suddenly you're much more awake and abundantly aware that you're not just driving through the surprising vastness of northern France, you're going to Le Mans.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2703631)   #82
neilwilson
Rookie

neilwilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One moment that has stuck with me was watching a Spice C2 in the 80s' (possibly 85) late at night in the pits. It had a broken clutch and the only way to get it going after the tyre change was to start the engine in gear while on the air jacks, lob a bucket of water under the wheels whilst pulling off the air hose as the driver guns the engine. The car would stutter and wobble out of the box to a great cheer from the crowd on the terrace opposite.

That and seeing the Beechdean Mansell transporter on the M25 this morning means it it is getting close for me.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2703635)   #83
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Wasn't that the Ecosse C2 in '87? I distinctly remember watching exactly that in the race review. Although that was in full daylight, so...
Old 3 Jun 2010, 07:13 (Ref:2703647)   #84
neilwilson
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Wasn't that the Ecosse C2 in '87? I distinctly remember watching exactly that in the race review. Although that was in full daylight, so...
I was sure it was at night and the terrace was quite empty, there again age etc may have dimmed the recall. It did sum up endurance racing for me though with the "find a way and keep it going" attitude of the team.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 07:16 (Ref:2703649)   #85
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Where is this fabled brown group c sign exactly?
Showing some serious flaws in my Le mans Knowledge here especially as this is my 1000's post on the forum.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2703863)   #86
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen one coming in from the Alencon direction (hairsplitting, but I think it's more like a 60s sports prototype than a Group C design).

I might be wrong, but isn't it actually for the Museum? It's certainly a permanent fixture - The Garage Rouge/Bleu/Vert signs are much more goosebumping inducing for me.

M.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2703985)   #87
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
I've seen one coming in from the Alencon direction (hairsplitting, but I think it's more like a 60s sports prototype than a Group C design).

I might be wrong, but isn't it actually for the Museum? It's certainly a permanent fixture - The Garage Rouge/Bleu/Vert signs are much more goosebumping inducing for me.

M.
It is a Group C style design, assuming we're all thinking of the same one and I'm sure it is from the Alencon direction. Can't remember though that it's just for the museum - I rather thought it was intended to signify the event itself?

And you're definitely right too about those garage signs!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2704172)   #88
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It is a Group C style design, assuming we're all thinking of the same one and I'm sure it is from the Alencon direction. Can't remember though that it's just for the museum - I rather thought it was intended to signify the event itself?

And you're definitely right too about those garage signs!
It's part of a theme that's found throughout France. Approaching any given area or town there are these brown and white signs which display some aspect for which the area is famous. Alencon, for example, shows lace.

As for Le Mans, I would go further and say that it's even a Porsche 956/962. I think I'm right in saying that there are signs as you approach Le Mans from several directions. I've certainly seen them on the motorway down from Paris.

On a similar theme, the moment that you get reception of Radio Le Mans is another indication that you're almost there. I usually have the car radio pre-tuned to 91.2FM and, inevitably, I find myself tuning in from the Alencon area onwards, waiting for that first, faint, crackly signal.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2704328)   #89
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I am beginning to think that i might have actuaklly seen the signs now, but this year I will pay particular attention for them, and as the chances are i will not be driving at that point I will post the exact spot I see one on this forum on wednesday afternoon.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2704523)   #90
hoppelemine
Racer

England
Dorset, UK
hoppelemine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Le Mans memory that I will have forever is from my first ever visit in '01. It was abouth 8.30 on Thursday evening I was driving and my friend navigating us to garage 'Vert'. We got lost (turns out one of the 'vert' signs was missing) and stopped to team up with some other lost drivers to find the way. As soon as I opened my drivers door the sound of screaming engines filled my ears. The goosebumps came up and I stopped dead just to listen. My friend stared at me open mouthed and then huge grins appeared across our faces. We were at Le Mans!

Just typing this now and reliving that memory has put a huge smile on my face, oh how desperate I am to return.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2704536)   #91
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They say a picture is worth a thousand words..................I posted this at SpeedHunters earlier today.................says more about the Le Mans' Spirit and what it means to the British Fans than volumes of text ever could.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...gt-catnip.aspx

Apologies to the mods if this breaks the rules, but perhaps excuse it as we are getting into the spirit of Mad Friday, just a little early.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2704596)   #92
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great picture Samoan Attorney! I found of a video of that lap here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ipCi9wsG-I

I think Rocketsports's Jag finishing the race would be quite an achievement, let alone a GT2 win. I guess you never know though, eh?

I had another little goosebumps moment. Dug my tent out of the attic and set it up to see if it will still usable, and I got a whiff of that "new tent" smell that took me straight back to Le Mans...

Not long to go now...
Old 4 Jun 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2704652)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words..................I posted this at SpeedHunters earlier today.................says more about the Le Mans' Spirit and what it means to the British Fans than volumes of text ever could.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...gt-catnip.aspx

Apologies to the mods if this breaks the rules, but perhaps excuse it as we are getting into the spirit of Mad Friday, just a little early.

No worries - I remember it well!
Old 5 Jun 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2704940)   #94
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No worries - I remember it well!
Yes the atmosphere at the finish was the best ever that year
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2714688)   #95
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So, for those who were there - when did they start? (The goosebumps, that is...... )
Old 19 Jun 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2714728)   #96
neilwilson
Rookie

On the A28 when it goes over the "La Sarthe" river, I knew we were near then.

Neil
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2714747)   #97
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So, for those who were there - when did they start? (The goosebumps, that is...... )
When the door closed behind me as I left my house Monday night........Im not joking....it was cold!!

Ok, dont know if the mods will get upset with this, but several people have heard this and say that I should post it to here as its fitting with the "goosebump" moment I will come clean, I am a bit creative with music/mixing etc, mainly electronic dance music (have worked for local radio stations up here etc)... i digress..... Last year after a two year gap from going I returned to Le Mans ...it was fantastic...as we all know...once you have the bug...it never goes....and as such...I produced a CD which was sent to a very select few. It is a continual gapless mix of dance music entitled "Return To La Sarthe" and the start is fitting for this thread...but also...track thirteen, I will leave you to judge, for me personally the track used for the "goosebump Moment" , when going at full flight, I can picture the white lines of the Mulsanne straight coming at me at over 200 mph. (sad maybe) I have put a link below to the track, it may not be your thing, but if you listen to the whole track...you will hear all the RLM team, ive had the full CD in my car for just under a year now...and it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it

Im not trying to sell anything btw, its a personal thing ...but I agree with What JH says in the track...its a pilgrimage

Quality has been reduced (because the original recording would use far too much space) I have posted these extracts to the 360 MRC website.

http://www.360motor-racing-club.com/...mp-Moment.html

Last edited by MartinSmith; 19 Jun 2010 at 16:49.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2714749)   #98
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
When I saw you and Bentley , ran to get the beers in and ye vanished !!!
Old 19 Jun 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2714771)   #99
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My revised game plan this year gave me a whole new introduction to Le Mans with a completely new set of goosebumps to go with it. Actually arriving on the outskirts of Le Mans a full 6 days before the race started was a seriously eye-opening moment.... The ability to just chill out and prepare myself for the next day's offerings was also truly welcome. But, seeing and hearing the Le Mans cars roll out of the pits for the first time on Wednesday was something I've wanted to experience for more years than some of our members have been alive! The ear to ear smile lasted a very long time!
Old 19 Jun 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2714887)   #100
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I normally arrive the Sunday before the race . But this year for some family reasons , I didnt arrive until Wednesday .

I usually cruise up and down the pits and do the scrutineering , but the first time I saw the cars this year was on their out lap in first practice on Wednesday evening ..... yeah , I was excited .