Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Sep 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2955761)   #76
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like working out the SC1/SC2 race in the early hours. SC2 lost, as expected, but did do better than some of the actual competitors.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2955870)   #77
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might be jumping the gun a bit, but how do sign ons work on the Sunday morning?

Why isn't that weekend coming quicker?!
Old 15 Sep 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2955872)   #78
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Shelagh, that race was the last straw as I have had a number of bad incidents over the years at Silverstone. The only reason that I do the GP is that its the only meeting of the year that all my mates can get too. Dont get me wrong, there's a large number of Silverstone marshals that I know, like and respect. I dont wish to put other people off going which is why I wish them all well.
Having been on the same post for the 1st day of that meeting i can wholehartedly agree the treatment received was utterly unprofessional and uncalled for. Had i not been asked to move to cover a different post i'd have walked away. Bad days are part of the package but that wasn't a bad day, it was plainly bad marshalling. In fact i use it as an experience to ensure i never treat anyone on post the way we were that day.

I'm only going back this time because i know that can't happen again. I don't want my only 24hr experience to be tainted by that weekend and having had a pretty dull year i want to end the season on a high.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2955875)   #79
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuff View Post
I might be jumping the gun a bit, but how do sign ons work on the Sunday morning?

Why isn't that weekend coming quicker?!
if you are there all weekend there is no signon. if you are only able to turn up for the sunday i think it should be in race control.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2955880)   #80
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Having been on the same post for the 1st day of that meeting i can wholehartedly agree the treatment received was utterly unprofessional and uncalled for. Had i not been asked to move to cover a different post i'd have walked away. Bad days are part of the package but that wasn't a bad day, it was plainly bad marshalling. In fact i use it as an experience to ensure i never treat anyone on post the way we were that day.
I'd forgotten you were there Steve, yes, it was REALLY bad treatment and totally tainted my son's first, and probably only, marshalling at Silverstone.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2955900)   #81
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
if you are only able to turn up for the sunday i think it should be in race control.
It certainly was last year. Just as a tip, if you're turning up in the early hours don't be too cheerful - it upsets those who really only want to sleep by then. I know because I turned up last year at 5:15 raring to go and got the sort of look you give to the unruly kids at the next table in a restaurant!
Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2955905)   #82
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
Thanks! I am down for all three days but wasn't sure about the sign on stuff at the 24hr portion.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2955988)   #83
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
I'd forgotten you were there Steve, yes, it was REALLY bad treatment and totally tainted my son's first, and probably only, marshalling at Silverstone.
Without making it sound terrible, I've also had really bad treatment at Silverstone in the past on a couple of occasions. But I have had at other circuits too.

It would be a shame that your experience wasn't at the race - what about working flag/post chief?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2956042)   #84
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sudden gap in diary, whats on, Hmmmmm, 3 days in the mud and rain, but not a rally, hmmmmm, what the hell whats the worst that can happen....
Old 15 Sep 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2956074)   #85
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team building exercises with pallets again Ian? Im in the Pitlane as usual only it isnt as usual as its at the Wing, man that is a looooong pitlane and walking a few miles up and down it is going to be "fun"? But Im really looking forward to it and the whole weekends fun!
Old 15 Sep 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2956088)   #86
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Team building exercises with pallets again Ian? Im in the Pitlane as usual only it isnt as usual as its at the Wing, man that is a looooong pitlane and walking a few miles up and down it is going to be "fun"? But Im really looking forward to it and the whole weekends fun!

Except I think you will be on familiar territory - I beleive the old Pits are being used.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2956103)   #87
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Justin as far as I am aware having spoken to Penny the old pitlane is in use and you may find that you have to supervise refueling to as brooklands is no longer viable.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2956265)   #88
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah well, looks like they had the perfect opportunity to make a safety call and use the old pits to re fuel and the new ones for the driver changes etc. Never mind eh? Trying to maintain a fire lane that isnt marked is not an easy task and one that truely tests the diplomacy at the best of times.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2956316)   #89
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I quite like working out the SC1/SC2 race in the early hours. SC2 lost, as expected, but did do better than some of the actual competitors.
IIRC, didn't SC1 actually do enough laps to technically be classed as a finisher? That would have looked interesting on the results!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2956323)   #90
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Quote:
Not sure, its up to Roy, or whoever id doing allocations there is only me this year, I have volunteered as PC/Flag maybe with the OP crew, but I quite enjoyed doing start/finish at Donny earlier in the year, so we shall see, whatever it should be enjoyable.

Bringing Gazebo/tarp/chairs/table/fridge/stove/tent, or if I am in the 90 then the camper conversion kit. Its the 24 , then Cambrian, then Mull, so a busy few weekends!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2956372)   #91
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Race is being run out of old pits/paddock 'cos it costs an absolute fortune (I believe) to hire the Wing. Great from my point of view 'cos it has diner etc close to and I can keep Bill & co fed & watered more easily. I still can't believe there was near to no catering down by the Wing for the 6hrs - at least at the Classic I was able to do "breakfast runs", although BaconButtyLady just doesn't have the same ring to it!!!!

Ian Briggs - if my memory serves correctly (which I doubt) - you and fellow rally marshals were deliberately placed at Vale because a) you would cope with the conditions in style and b) you would feel more at home. I believe you scored on both counts and I do recall scary moments trying to safely turn the PostmanPatVan (Bill's Berlingo) around on that narrow, slick roadway with the sheer drop into the lake in the dark. And all because you wanted a battery for your radio!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2956407)   #92
the boss
Rookie

England
North Of Donington
the boss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in s/c1, at one point we were on the score sheet as beeing in 58th place with a fastest lap of 3mins!! which under the conditions i thought was a good time.The reason the s/c cars were changed in the night was s/c 2had been out so long they had gone over there time and needed a break,so s/c1 went out and took over the pack so the other team could get some refs and sleep before there next stint.It all worked rather ell i thought.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2956415)   #93
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Ian Briggs - if my memory serves correctly (which I doubt) - you and fellow rally marshals were deliberately placed at Vale because a) you would cope with the conditions in style and b) you would feel more at home. I believe you scored on both counts and I do recall scary moments trying to safely turn the PostmanPatVan (Bill's Berlingo) around on that narrow, slick roadway with the sheer drop into the lake in the dark. And all because you wanted a battery for your radio!
All quite correct, we had a splendid time in the gloop, and if the cars had stopped spinning, gravel trapping, beaching on kerbs, breaking down, getting lost in the fog then we might have made the battery last all night....

Cannot be as busy this year.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2956450)   #94
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Cannot be as busy this year.[/QUOTE]

You asking for trouble now, mate. Wherever you are. And it won't be me delivering.....

By the way, did I ever thank you et al for sending someone down to me to collect said battery, rather than making me hike up muddy slope in the dark to deliver? It was very much appreciated
Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2956566)   #95
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so does penny do the incident allocation & brscc do flags/Pc ?
just seeing if we can get on post with a specific flaggy ?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2956582)   #96
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally getting to do the full weekend of the 24 and im not starting placement until 1 on the monday.

Should be a good weekend in the pits.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2956815)   #97
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
You asking for trouble now, mate. Wherever you are. And it won't be me delivering.....

By the way, did I ever thank you et al for sending someone down to me to collect said battery, rather than making me hike up muddy slope in the dark to deliver? It was very much appreciated

That would have been me, altho it was dark, and foggy....
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2957730)   #98
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
No probs on the old pitlane, saves me having to learn the new one just yet. As you say Shelagh, easier for eats and stuff. No need to shuttle everyone back and forth. Still looking forward to catching up with the pitlane crew.
Ian, I am so looking forward the next three or so weeks mate, Im sure Im not gonna be sayin that when Im so tired I could throw, but I will still have THE biggest grin on my face on Mull mate!
Old 20 Sep 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2958429)   #99
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Penny's email about sign on (and confirming much of what's been said earlier):

Sign on will be in the paddock bar (north end of the circuit), at the times below – if you are not attending both days please take note of the time at applies to you.
Friday - between 7.30 and 8.15am on post 8.30am
Saturday - between 7.30 and 8.15am on post 8.30am
If you are arriving outside of these sign on times or Sunday morning please go the 2nd floor Race Control (North end) to sign on.

Also:

The 24 hour race will be managed on post in terms of breaks, if you are not planning to stay for the entire race please let me know in advance and also notify your IO & Post Chief when you arrive on post so plans can be made. As last year one of the Paddock suites will be available over night on the Saturday for marshals (number to be confirmed) this suite will have free tea and coffee and cup a soups (you may wish to bring a mug). Please keep this suite as tidy as possible and if you use the last of the water please re-fill!

And, importantly:

We are very short on Friday so if you are not already signed up but may be able to make even the evening session please let me know

Last edited by pauln; 20 Sep 2011 at 10:52. Reason: spill-chucking
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2958480)   #100
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
Why is this meeting not coming quicker?!

Probably got FAR to excited to see Penny's email yesterday.

So, are the marshals sharing with the speccies in what was "Area 24"?