Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jun 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1935855)   #76
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Thursday 30 November 2006, The Wiggles sadly announced that Greg Page, also known as the Yellow Wiggle, was unable to continue performing with The Wiggles due to a chronic condition known as orthostatic intolerance.

Greg had been suffering symptoms for many months, affecting his ability to perform. The condition is related to blood pressure and while in no way life threatening it affects his balance, breathing and coordination at unpredictable times and with varying severity.

At least Greg left the band with some diginty.

Farewell Tony, the Black One.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1935868)   #77
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere of John Hewson wearing a sports jacket over a grey skivvy.
All hail the Grey Wiggle
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1935873)   #78
EDA82
Rookie

EDA82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Why are you so sure they havent ?
I would have thought that their own admission would be enough, to wit...

"Due to a significant news story which contained an error, it is necessary to re-issue the June 12 issue of Motorsport eNews. The error was in information acquired in good faith by our journalist. MNews is committed to solid journalism and regrets the error."

So. It's either an error or it isn't. If it isn't, they would not have been forced to retract. And if their story was indeed factual, they, as a bastion of "committed and solid journalism" would stand by their assertions and damn the concequences rather than back. Any news gathering organisation worthy of the name would stand by their story if they believed it was right.

So we can only surmise they got it wrong. After all, they admitted as much.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1935880)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not if the basis of the error is purely in the timing...

Also note that the Courier Mail amongst others are not backing away from the story, so there must be some level of substance to it.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1935893)   #80
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport enews: "Clarification: Our earlier edition reported that the Board of V8 Supercars Australia had resolved to terminate Tony Cochrane's tenure as Chairman of the group. It was team's group TEGA that met at Eastern Creek and not the V8 Supercar Board and no such resolution was reached. Tony cochrane remains as chairman of V8 Supercars Australia. etc" Reading between the lines (and the daily media etc since, have a look at Fox Sports News) - TC has obviously really ****ed off the teams this time and theres a day of reckoning coming. Enews appears to have reported that the wrong board met at EC. That would probably be enough to need a retraction/clarification to avoid legal action because its an error of fact. But the general direction of the story remains unchanged, Tony C has obviously overstepped the mark and the teams through TEGA must have the numbers to do something about it when the V8 Supercar board does meet. Would love to be a fly on the wall on that day!!!!!! Question, if TC is voted off as Chairman, he will still be on the board, just not chairman, yes? So not much will change, therell just be a new figurehead?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1935941)   #81
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It reminds me a bit of DJR last year with the Jim Beam sponsorship leakages, denials & then....
Old 13 Jun 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1936324)   #82
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds as though MN are right on the money - just got ahead of themselves......I can't imagine TC will go without a fight as SEL will lose a fair bit of money in future earnings if the moron gets sacked because he always got to direct things in a way that benefitted SEL.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1936427)   #83
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDA82
It's not MNews's job to be the catalyst for anything. It's their job to report the news, factually, and in this case, MNews hasn't done that.

And in the DJR/Carlin story, or maybe they're just trying to be the catalyst there too. Maybe they thought Trevor Carlin would read their story and think to himself "Hey what a great idea. I think I'll buy a V8 Supercar team in Australia."

Maybe they should change their little catchcry to "You read it here first but in the interest of getting it out first we may have got a little bit wrong"
No it's not there job, but in most cases once the media get a hold of story like this or any other, just look at AFL for example, it either happens or gets denied.
You find that there are a lot of people of there who seem to have the guts to come out and say they're going to give someone a piece of there mind, but when the time comes they completely shut down. Trust me on this, I've dealt with some many people who are like that, but when you get into a meeting, they don't say a word.

Now I'm not saying that there are gutless people in the Supercab world, but some who would rather keep there mouth shut at the appropriate times when they should be voicing there concerns, but don't. Hence why I'm saying that MNews is being the "catalist" in this situation. Someone has obviously said something to one of the reporters, and they have run with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Yes and he will continue to do that. My feeling others are more willing to water the "product" down, in doing so taking away its impact. Something NASCAR is now doing in the US.
I don't know about watering down the product, but more precisely whoever takes over will be either listen to what the teams actually want or what the fans want, not there fellow 25% shareholders and bank balances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Moo
I can't imagine TC will go without a fight as SEL will lose a fair bit of money in future earnings if the moron gets sacked because he always got to direct things in a way that benefitted SEL.
If what I'm hearing is correct that Hewson wants the two boards to combine, chances are that SEL might get pushed out. Nothing to stop TEGA getting themselves into a position to buy, let say 15-20% off SEL and take more control over the returns that are paid to them and the direction of the series. Comment from one former team manager was "why the hell are we going on with these cost cutting parts and pieces, and then go to Bahrain....that doesn't seem like cost cutting to me". That all said, we don't know what contracts or corp structure they have in place, which could make it more interesting.

Last edited by Denosaur; 13 Jun 2007 at 23:18.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1936454)   #84
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDA82
How can anyone say that this hasn't hurt Motorsport eNews's credibility? This is just the latest in a recent long line of them getting it completely wrong, rememebr DJR sold to Carlin.

They got it wrong and admitted it, and I hope TC sues the arse off them.
The damages might be his main source of future income as he will be voted out and SEL flicked as soon as the board has a chance.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1936465)   #85
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[The damages might be his main source of future income as he will be voted out and SEL flicked as soon as the board has a chance.
So who is going to head V8Supercar and what organisation is going to do the promotion?
Old 14 Jun 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1936468)   #86
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Not if the basis of the error is purely in the timing...
Exactly. Also didnt the original Motorsport News articles outline that the departure would be made official after a board meeting in July. So they were ahead of time and knew it aswell but would have been tough to hold off with such a story.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 01:39 (Ref:1936486)   #87
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know about watering down the product
The political correctness seeping into the series. At Eastern Creek, there were limitations on not doing burnouts, the over complex rules on overtaking etc. Influences of the Kelvinmonster?
Old 14 Jun 2007, 02:07 (Ref:1936495)   #88
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
The political correctness seeping into the series. At Eastern Creek, there were limitations on not doing burnouts, the over complex rules on overtaking etc. Influences of the Kelvinmonster?
Wouldn't call that watering down exactly, and the exact term I'm looking for doesn't come to mind at the moment. The limitations on burnouts isn't only in this series, it has gotten into a few others as well. Know of one driver who got tongue lashing resently as he let it rip leaving the grid on the warm up lap. That's not Kelvin and Co, that's CAMS.

Thou I have to agree, yes PC Police are starting to get too involved.

Whilst there taking out TC, why not take the old Timmy out of his Race Director role.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1936773)   #89
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TC press conference that got him in trouble is on the V8 Insiders podcast.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1936775)   #90
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Wouldn't call that watering down exactly, and the exact term I'm looking for doesn't come to mind at the moment. The limitations on burnouts isn't only in this series, it has gotten into a few others as well. Know of one driver who got tongue lashing resently as he let it rip leaving the grid on the warm up lap. That's not Kelvin and Co, that's CAMS.

Thou I have to agree, yes PC Police are starting to get too involved.
Except you still have officials trying to line up the grid while the cars and drivers are doing burnouts and other things...
Old 14 Jun 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1936903)   #91
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting press conference......

I don't know if its true or not but I heard that Foxtel had not even agreed to the change in Adelaide anyway!!

The other thing that is interesting is that Cochrane keeps repeating that the V8 schedule was set before the AFL deal was finalised which is true but what he fails to mention is what would have happened if Foxtel did NOT do the AFL deal!!!! V8s would have been in a world of trouble a LOT worse than their issues now!! Tony Cochrane is the only person that I have heard say that Foxtel agreed - I haven't seen anything from Foxtel anywhere to confirm it (they may have but I haven't seen it)

In regards to the Grand Prix and Cochranes comments, there is absolutely no doubt that the crowds will improve and EVERYONE wants to see the V8s back there but am I right in thinking I saw an article after the GP that tens audience was BIGGER this year on the sunday than it was last year??

Regardless, it is well documented now that TEGA will not go to any round that is not televised. Who knows what the reasons are but dont you think there is a good chance that ten have an issue with Tony Cochrane not seven????

If Cochrane goes, maybe things will change??
Old 15 Jun 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1937388)   #92
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone catch Brad Jones' sentiment about all this on PanelBeaters? Judging by what he had to say, the teams do want him out.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1937396)   #93
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll have to listen to that podcast as I think brad jones is a very reasonable bloke and it would be interesting to hear what he says.

Certainly I give all credit to tony cochrane for what he has accomplished. I think he has done well. But I do believe there is an end for everything and it may be time for a change. The recent rants over homebush, surfers, AGP, townsville and perth as well as attacking channel 10 for no reason(let's not forget the valued contribution 10 made to the sport over a decade, folks) tells me it's time for him to move on. Once you start antagonizing everyone, especially those who have provided valued contributions over the years then it's time to go. Also once everyone is in agreement he should go, he does himself no favors by staying or clinging on.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1937592)   #94
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Once you start antagonizing everyone, especially those who have provided valued contributions over the years then it's time to go.
Start, he has been doing it since 1996. I am surprised it has taken this long for people to cotton on that it isnt the greatest of ways to do business.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1937764)   #95
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Start, he has been doing it since 1996. I am surprised it has taken this long for people to cotton on that it isnt the greatest of ways to do business.
I'd disagree to the extent of he forced though a lot of necessary changes for the sport and many of course would have rathered it stayed a bush league, backwoods sport rather than a professional, world class racing series. I think now though he is just antagonizing people with no positive benefit resulting from it. His little spat over channel 10 is a good example.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1937992)   #96
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting line of thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Trust me on this, I've dealt with some many people who are like that.......

[I]Sure!![/I]

... whoever takes over will be either listen to what the teams actually want or what the fans want, not there fellow 25% shareholders and bank balances.

Maybe there are those who want a return on their investment in VESA, to whom it is not just about motor racing.

Nothing to stop TEGA getting themselves into a position to buy, let say 15-20% off SEL and take more control over the returns that are paid to them and the direction of the series. ......That all said, we don't know what contracts or corp structure they have in place, which could make it more interesting.
SEL are unlikely to have left themselves exposed commercially ... we dont know, correct, maybe one of our number do ... anyone?
Old 15 Jun 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1937996)   #97
matt_16
Rookie

Australia
10minutes Away from Queensland Raceway
matt_16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm, i may be a little bit late on this but where can you get the news becasue i cant find anything over the www.v8supercar site???.

If this is true its a big shock, but if this near chairman guy can do better then Tony, it will also be good for the sport for tv wise.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 02:51 (Ref:1938097)   #98
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I think now though he is just antagonizing people with no positive benefit resulting from it. His little spat over channel 10 is a good example.
His tantrums where he has thrown threats at the WA Government didnt concern you 6 years ago ?
Old 16 Jun 2007, 05:12 (Ref:1938129)   #99
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_16
it will also be good for the sport for tv wise.
Not until 2013. The contract is locked in until then.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 06:32 (Ref:1938153)   #100
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Not until 2013. The contract is locked in until then.
If thats a subtle way of saying the rights should have never left Ten then I'm with you Racer....

I think theres a bigger picture again other than whether Cochrane should or shouldnt go. I'm not a fan of the guy nor his partner in crime Erskine - its purely business and return from investment to both of them nothing to do with motor sport. For all the good that V8 Supercars has done for motor sport in this country - the money it has collectively sucked out of the sport has done damage in general to the rest of the sport - if that makes sense.