Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Jul 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1952457)   #76
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I'm going to try and make it there next year, hopefully they'll have on site camping for 2008
Old 2 Jul 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1952508)   #77
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato
agreed, shut up you little cry baby.

upon my review; Bourdais' car moved about 1/3 of a car length before the lights went out. It was quite clear, and it's pretty said if the officials actually claim to have reviewed tapes and could not determine whether or not he had jumped the start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QTR5Tp5Q38

100% jump start.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1952510)   #78
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
These two pics seem to go well together. Could Bourdais act anymore like a baby?

I love Doornbos' face in the second pic.

[photo]

[photo]

I like also the reaction of Power.

And it's indeed a great circuit.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 16:21 (Ref:1952525)   #79
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how far that attitude will get him in F1
Old 2 Jul 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1952528)   #80
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are places to camp off-site. They would have to clear a considerable area for camping as right now there is no space for it.

Most of the parking was outside the circuit itself but on the track property. You paid for parking ($10) and then walked to the entrance gate.

There are lots of great vantage points for practice but the good spots aren't very deep as far as fan capacity.

It is a track not to be missed.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 23:42 (Ref:1952938)   #81
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster
Maybe he needs a new sponsor : Le coq unsportif!!
Such a sour note on which to end an exciting race, well done Seabass!

Track looks great, although I'd like to see turn 8 tightened up a bit to create a better passing area, possibly turn 10 as well. Without those modifications (and rain ) it seems a bit like Laguna Seca: wonderful track but difficult to pass in a champcar.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 01:03 (Ref:1952969)   #82
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
I wonder how far that attitude will get him in F1
He'd fit right in.

Haven't you seen Ralf Schumacher lately?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1953307)   #83
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster
He can be sure of a warm welcome for the two races in Holland and Belgium later this year.
Yep, preparations have started already

Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1953415)   #84
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Paddy, If you guys are going to produce shirts or banners, anything with this then book me for ordering!!!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 01:33 (Ref:1953841)   #85
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
MCWB, Turn 8 is tight enough I should think. You drop about 100-mph going into that corner, which should certainly be enough to facilitate overtaking; that sort of drop in speed is enough for F1 cars going into Les Combes at Spa. Turn 10 is preceded by a long enough straight to have a reasonable chance of getting alongside. Once you're significantly alongside your opponent, the pass is made, as Turn 10 is NOT a place to try side-by-side heroics (you almost certainly would end up with a nasty wreck if the guy being passed doesn't give way). So I think Mont Tremblant is fine as is.

Although, if Champ Cars can handle "the Kink" at Road America, I don't see any good reason why they can't handle Turns 1, 2 and 3 at St. Jovite without the chicane. The racing line stays more or less to the inside through the first section of bends, while the cars exiting the pits can stay relatively clear by using an outside line, as they're not up to speed at that point (so "marbles" won't be such a problem for them, especially since they're leaving the pits on cold tires).
Old 4 Jul 2007, 04:37 (Ref:1953864)   #86
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
That is quite conclusive
Old 5 Jul 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1955271)   #87
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
That is quite conclusive
I would agree, at first I questioned the validity of the clip (this is the internet after all) but the fact that the other cars move after him does give credence.

I was surprised watching the race that they never showed t his clip and/or mentioned it again, very strange.

if this camera view was viewed by the officials, it doesnt make sense that it would not have been acted upon. I would want to hear from other sources as this is very clear, and if true, other teams would have made a protest--this is still why I wonder if it is an undoctored clip.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1955685)   #88
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Admittedly, I was not able to see the start as I was not home and was already taping the F1 race. I did go to YouTube and saw the clip posted there. I would agree that SB did indeed jump the start.

The officials at CC have been decidedly quiet about this issue. I understand that the standing start is "new" to CC and there will be a period where the new procedure will be refined. However, there should at least be some discussion of this to the point of issuing a warning so that everyone knows what the rules are and how they will be enforced.

CC has put themselves in a position where it will be difficult to discipline Driver X for the same infraction that resulted in no penalty to Driver Y.

Someone has apparently found Kris Kniefel's clown suit...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 11:03 (Ref:1955998)   #89
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
The officials at CC have been decidedly quiet about this issue. I understand that the standing start is "new" to CC and there will be a period where the new procedure will be refined. However, there should at least be some discussion of this to the point of issuing a warning so that everyone knows what the rules are and how they will be enforced.

CC has put themselves in a position where it will be difficult to discipline Driver X for the same infraction that resulted in no penalty to Driver Y.
exactly John, and as a supporter of the series, I just don't understand why they were inconsistent here, or rather, dare I say, inept (if the Youtube clip is indeed legit with the timing lights in the shot in real time) as a jump start is pretty well a basic thing to spot, especially with a camera angle such as the one on youtube.

Has anyone here seen reports of a questioning of the jumpstart by legit journalists to the CART people, and/or legit response by the officials?
Old 6 Jul 2007, 12:03 (Ref:1956077)   #90
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also in regards to the issue of Bourdais claims of "blocking" by Doornbos, did anyone see anything during their telecasts ?

I am not sure if it was the feed I watched, but I didnt see anything that remotely looked like blocking.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1956215)   #91
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neither did Champ Car officials, D.R.T.

In my column published yesterday, the section that referred to this incident carried the headline "Do You Want Some Whine With That Seabass?"...and his last name was "BOOR-dais"....the incident was childish and unbecoming of a champion.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jul 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1956471)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Wilson critical of Doornbos' blocking:
Quote:
Justin Wilson has agreed with other Champ Car drivers regarding the defensive driving tactics of Robert Doornbos so far this season.
"Robert does have a reputation of blocking and he has done it at every race so far unfortunately," said Wilson.

"That's the only negative about Robert, he's done a fantastic job and if he could just obey that last rule of North American racing, then you couldn't fault the job he is doing."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60527
Old 7 Jul 2007, 03:52 (Ref:1956667)   #93
djb
Veteran

good to see that another driver mentioning the "blocking" side of things, I personally didnt notice it from the Tremblant race, but from my limited perception of Wilson as a driver and person (he seems like an honest bloke) I would take his comments more than from Bourdais.

also good to see at least some mention of the jumpstart--blocking could be difficult to point out given the wet conditions in this race, but as I've said before, a jumpstart like this appears to be is pretty basic--the officials must have been distracted by the stallers, but doesnt excuse not following up witha peek at the replays.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1956760)   #94
D.R.T.
Veteran

I guess we could bring the one move rule back, would make things a lot easier to enjoy and make decisions upon.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1962023)   #95
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a pretty good read in relation to the blocking incident, whether you agree with it or not.
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/38682/
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jul 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1967562)   #96
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I guess we could bring the one move rule back, would make things a lot easier to enjoy and make decisions upon.
first of all, read the article enemy-ace, good to put that up!

secondly, I agree with the one-move rule, I really disagree with the "stay on the race line" rule, I think it is very micky-mouse and takes away from a drivers sixth sense of finding traction (in the wet I mean) and frankly, if someone is going to cover the inside to protect a corner because his or her car is slower, then thats okay, but theres the payoff of the following driver getting a better exit, so for me that is okay---IF there is one move and not going all over the place--remember the quote of James Hunt to his engineer, (my loose verison of it) "give me a strong motor and I'll block them alll in the corners" when there were no rules (but more risks)

As in the article, I too disagree strongly with chopping etc, my meagre little racing experience was on bikes, and so I inherently have a bad taste in my mouth watching whoever doing dangerous chopping moves, thanks to modern safe cars btw (remember 3 or 4 yrs ago when Schuey sr drove a Patrick Tambay 80's I think F1 car and couldn't believe how dangerous it was, lack of leg protection etc).

to repeat, basically I feel this sloppily painting a white line on a track to show where you can't go is Mickey Mouse, it takes away from the seriousness of the racing and the series. I understand its an attempt to stop monkey business and to promote passiing, and is the "one-move" rule the solution, is it harder to police? I don't know, but I think it makes for more pure racing. Like I said, if you want to go and protect the inside, go ahead and do it but stay there and accept the loss of exit speed penalty and DONT move around.

I'm no racing official, but to me this is more of a fair way of dealing witht he problem than telling a racer where they can and can't go on a racetrack, that really rubs me the wrong way.

ps, revisionary Motorsport News History--"Mansell fined and loses win at Silverstone for nastily moving from racing line to go outside Piquet, 1986"

"both Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux have been fined $10,000 each and all points removed from race results for the disgusting display of race-line ignoring at yesterdays French GP, sacre-bleu they were naughty boys!"

you know what I mean......