Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a pork pie
Up to 2 quid for a pack of 6 minis 7 7.69%
Depends on the pie. Mmmmmmm...Pie.....back in a minute 51 56.04%
I'm a vegetarian - it's wrong to eat cute little piggy wiggies 0 0%
I'm Gluten Intolerant, you insensitive git 2 2.20%
I found a pork pie at the bottom of my bag - it's a bit green - do you think it's safe to eat it? 12 13.19%
2013 regs state that Pork Pies must be of a specific size and composition 4 4.40%
Scotch Eggs FTW! 8 8.79%
Lorne Sausage on a proper roll! (Look it up heathens!) 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Mar 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3036980)   #76
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gosh, that was good!,

The bite of the red wine vinegar, tempered by the sweetness of the mint and sugar perfectly enhanced the flavour of the mushy peas, whilst the warm melted jelly from the pie mingled with the HP sauce to bring out the full flavour of the pork!

Washed down with a cup of single plantation ceylon tea - perfect!

This should be on every Michelin starred restaurant's menu! (and definately on the menu at catering stalls at every circuit in the land)
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3037020)   #77
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ewww gross!!!

More importantly, did anything crash while you were eating it?
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3037034)   #78
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is with great sadness that I have to report the sudden loss of our National Chairman, Chris Hobson. He's moved on from marshalling to present and judge the new series on Motors TV - "Motorsport MasterChef".

The Fat Clerk will be his co-presenter.

The first series will feature such epic noms as Cold Cup-a-Soup, Greasy Van Burger, Egg Cob Overalls and the extra-epic Pork Pie and Peas. Later in the show marshals will be defeated by steaming heaps of overcooked bacon as served by many motorsport establishments, and a special appearance will be made by a well-known and well-loved Midlands Circuit's Shepherd's Pie.

There will be no second series.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3037044)   #79
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It is with great sadness that I have to report the sudden loss of our National Chairman, Chris Hobson. He's moved on from marshalling to present and judge the new series on Motors TV - "Motorsport MasterChef".

The Fat Clerk will be his co-presenter.

The first series will feature such epic noms as Cold Cup-a-Soup, Greasy Van Burger, Egg Cob Overalls and the extra-epic Pork Pie and Peas. Later in the show marshals will be defeated by steaming heaps of overcooked bacon as served by many motorsport establishments, and a special appearance will be made by a well-known and well-loved Midlands Circuit's Shepherd's Pie.

There will be no second series.
Val Parkinson the Proprietress of Mallorys superb Canteen will also be a Judge
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3037046)   #80
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Okay, but apart from the roads, sanitation, medicine, irrigation, wine, the viaduct, public health, finding out what's been happening with GP flaggie applications, and new and interesting pork pie recipies, what has he done for us?
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3037047)   #81
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's actually a Ten-Tenths Cookbook section of the website launching shortly!

(I'm not kidding!)
Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3037127)   #82
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's only the odd dog pie that's kept me going all these years...
Old 8 Mar 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3037172)   #83
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Photo's of Pork Pies

I am not sure that I should really be posting on this forum as I am not a marshal, however, as supplier of free photo's to you chaps (at least at Silverstone) I wonder if instead of snapping marshals I should be taking pictures of their lunch instead?

I am sure that an album of 'Pork Pies' would be a big success, and attract thousands of visitors and downloads of the various makes, styles, sizes of these comestibles.

What do you think?

Bob Bull aka bauble
Old 8 Mar 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3037203)   #84
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I am not sure that I should really be posting on this forum as I am not a marshal, however, as supplier of free photo's to you chaps (at least at Silverstone) I wonder if instead of snapping marshals I should be taking pictures of their lunch instead?

I am sure that an album of 'Pork Pies' would be a big success, and attract thousands of visitors and downloads of the various makes, styles, sizes of these comestibles.

What do you think?

Bob Bull aka bauble
It would certainly aid EP in his scrutineering of said Pork Pies!!
Old 8 Mar 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3037225)   #85
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
It would certainly aid EP in his scrutineering of said Pork Pies!!
His scrutineering?
Old 8 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3037228)   #86
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
Mushy peas are definitely the devil's own infernal neon green faux vegetable and a dreadful thing to do to a poor innocent pie that's never hurt anyone.

Blue Book 2012
Appendix 40000,0000, Section 2, Clause 3
  1. The comestible (henceforth referred to as "Pie") must have a minimum diameter of 1 inch and must not exceed 5 inches in diameter.
  2. Pies may not be served at a temperature exceeding 20 degrees.
  3. Pies must have a minimum calorific content of between 200kcal and 1.7m kcal, dependent on size.
  4. All Pies must have been through Comestible Scrutiny.
  5. Pies found to contain contaminants such as vegetables, sauces, pickles etc. will be disqualified and confiscated by the Clerk of the Course.
  6. When a Pie has passed through scrutiny, a dated teeth mark will be applied to said Pie.

Blue Book 2012
Appendix 40000,0000, Section 2, Clause 4
  1. Unless otherwise specified in Class regulations, Pie content must be of porcine extraction.
  2. Regional variations on Pie content may be acceptable, where specified within Class Regulations, however, the comestible known as the "Scotch Pie" may not be included, on the grounds that this is not an actual comestible, as it is primarily composed of deep fried cardboard and carpet wool.
Will 2013 see the launch of the PPRC (Pork Pie Racing Club) and its staple series of Formula Pie.

Classes will be based on diameter and quantity of modification (pickles, veg, etc).

Races are predicted to be chaotic at best.

Chris Hobson for series Clerk or Steward?
Old 8 Mar 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3037272)   #87
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Greasy Van Burger
I remember him. Brilliant in qualifying but always took too long over his pit stops. Now in Dutch Supercars I think.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3037290)   #88
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
His scrutineering?
Oops!

I do apologise!
Old 10 Mar 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3037875)   #89
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
Oops!

I do apologise!
LOL - common mistake, even after people have met me

I'm amazed that there has been no backlash from our Scottish contingent over my description of Scotch Pies.

Anyway, tea and jaffa cakes is still more effective for me!
Old 10 Mar 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3037887)   #90
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I remember him. Brilliant in qualifying but always took too long over his pit stops. Now in Dutch Supercars I think.
I'll throw them in the air, you hit them
Old 10 Mar 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3037934)   #91
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
[*]Pies found to contain contaminants such as vegetables, sauces, pickles etc. will be disqualified and confiscated by the Clerk of the Course. [/list]
Yuk, I'm not going near any of that ****!

....and I don't like Pork Pies either - it must be JohnGee's job
Old 10 Mar 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3037942)   #92
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
LOL - common mistake, even after people have met me

I'm amazed that there has been no backlash from our Scottish contingent over my description of Scotch Pies.
sounds about right that is why I prefer a killie pie http://www.browningsbakers.co.uk/2010/07/killie-pie/ real meat not sawdust and grease. still to test them in the field though, will report back in due course
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3038045)   #93
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Yuk, I'm not going near any of that ****!

....and I don't like Pork Pies either - it must be JohnGee's job
If it's in the regs, you gotta do it! I;m sure that appropriate protective gear, such as latex gloves and a peg for your nose will be supplied under Health and Safety regs!
Old 11 Mar 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3038234)   #94
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll throw them in the air, you hit them
Does that help with the flavour? I often find Pork Pies a little tough, so this might be just the trick to tenderise them on a cold day at Thruxton?
Old 12 Mar 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3038866)   #95
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the poll results so far, it's interesting to see that no-one has gone for the veggie option. Is there any such thing as a vegetarian marshal or have they all been scared off / converted / killed and turned into pies?

Personally, having witnessed the carnage that a well placed pie can produce I've switch to pasties (proper ones - none of this cheese & onion rubbish) as they don't appeal to Clios quite as much.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3038869)   #96
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Is there any such thing as a vegetarian marshal
Yes, but they are too weak to get to a keyboard!
Old 13 Mar 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3039108)   #97
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looking at the poll results so far, it's interesting to see that no-one has gone for the veggie option. Is there any such thing as a vegetarian marshal or have they all been scared off / converted / killed and turned into pies?
Surely a more apt question is whether there are any vegetarian drivers and can they be repelled with a pork pie?
Old 15 Mar 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3041854)   #98
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is there any such thing as a vegetarian marshal or have they all been scared off / converted / killed and turned into pies?

Personally, having witnessed the carnage that a well placed pie can produce I've switch to pasties (proper ones - none of this cheese & onion rubbish) as they don't appeal to Clios quite as much.
Not vegetarian but I often favour the cheese & onion pastie (certainly not rubbish). I can confirm that it is the anti-pork pie. Cars crash, spin & burst into flames at adjacent posts but rarely at mine.

I would have voted for vegetarian if Scotch Egg hadn't been on the list. Pork pies are just wrong.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3041884)   #99
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
Pork pies are just wrong.
Oh, I dunno, I've eaten some fairly eloquent and intelligent ones in my time. Their mistake was trying to enter into a debate on how wrong I was...
Old 15 Mar 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3041887)   #100
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, I dunno, I've eaten some fairly eloquent and intelligent ones in my time. Their mistake was trying to enter into a debate on how wrong I was...
You'll find your elephant and cymbals at the bottom of this cliff....

;p