Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Jul 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1975823)   #76
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with the comments about team orders - although I'm surprised about Chevrolet allowing Rydell to win it made for much more exciting viewing and left you feeling like the right man won unlike the DTM finish. Certainly it leaves you with a more positive impression about the manufacturer involved.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1975888)   #77
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gaz, are you sure they've allowed him to win?! It was his one-off... I would say they didn't say anything to him during last lap. He is not even member of the team. He made good decision for himself.

Scheider and Premat situation in DTM is different. They're under full time contracts with Audi, and they must listen to they're bosses. Although, Audi is well known for directing their drivers at the line.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1975915)   #78
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Looks like not that many spectators at the track, though.
I must say that there were a lot of people there, maybe it wasn't well visible on the cameras but I don't think the attendance was bad at all.

2 fantastic races, with several fantastic fights. Kudos to Tielemans for example, who drove from p24 to p13 in Race 1, outside the camera views. He was really going at it, overtaking others nice and clean.

Anderstorp has to get its stuff together though. The state of the track was absolutely horrible, biggest downside of the weekend being the breaking of a bench in the main grandstand causing 2 people to fall down. They were picked up by ambulances, anybody know anything more about this? Are they ok?

It was great racing, and I hope that they will come back to Anderstorp next year. However, in that case Anderstorp should put in more of an effort to present a track thats world championship worthy.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1975922)   #79
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, the appearance didn't look all too great. The standing water in the grass is surely a hazard for cars that may be involved in accidents, especially single seaters?
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:19 (Ref:1975931)   #80
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent meeting (well from what i saw om tv, not sure i would have wanted to attend )

great win for Rydell, didn't expect them to let him win, but im glad they did, showed the DTM up. Excellent drive from Dahlgren, i hope he enters with an eligible car full time next year. (hopefully works Volvo )

Well done to Huff as well, and Chevrolet are really looking good these days. WTCC is awesome !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:23 (Ref:1975934)   #81
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re Chevy anyone thinking they can be serious championship contenders ? Larini is only 10 points behind Jorg Muller now.

(Which is why he was annoyed with Rydell I guess!)
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1975939)   #82
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been thinking Chevrolet were strong outsiders all along.

But they are getting into real contention now. The car is a bomb when it hooks up!

Rickard went a bit silly at the end of the race there, which is a shame. Although it was nice to see him back up top!
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1975952)   #83
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Larini can pull this off if he doesn't go nuts. The mistake at Porto was foolish, and cost him a really good result. Menu's strangely inconsistent, and has made some silly mistakes occassionally. And Huff even more often.

However, on a debut, that SEAT TDI was mighty impressive, I wouldn't rule Yvan out as an outsider either.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1975964)   #84
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
18000 spectators today is what I've heard, wich is ok for the crappy weather and not a whole lot of advertising and quite short preperation time with no high profile support series.

Bear in mind its been raining like crazy, how on earth would they be able to get the standing water away from the grass? How do they even cut the grass? The track is in a lot better state now then it was in 2003 with ETCC, they have totally new pitbuildings now for example. Anderstorp is on a 3 year contract with WTCC and 5 (I think?) year contract with STCC so they should be able to secure some money to make the track a lot better.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1975992)   #85
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got home a few hours ago after getting soaked standing on a hill watching the races. A few impressions:

* WTCC was pretty impressive in itself. The races were odd but entertaining.

* Formula Masters was nice enough but hard to follow because it became spaced out and I wasn't near any speakers at that point!

* The other support classes were rubbish, really.

* The WTCC charges you an additional 5 Euros for getting into the paddock (unlike the STCC). For this you get to see a bunch of Alfa/BMW/SEAT/Chevrolet/Sponsor VIP buildings and the support teams with trucks and tents. All the teams had their trucks parked up against the pit building, so you couldn't see anything at all (unlike the STCC weekends, where all teams have open tents that you can look in to). This meant that those 5 euros didn't really give you anything extra.

* The autograph session was between 10:00 and 10:30 - during the Formula Masters race. Because of this I didn't get any autographs at all. There was no designated gridshow slot in the time schedule (again unlike the STCC).

* Rydell and Dahlgren were great. Everyone was on their feet cheering for Rickard at the end of the second race, man was his win popular Wohoo!!

* The Chevrolet boss that was interviewed was very diplomatic and said and all but it really sounded like it was Rickard's decision to go for the win (Larini's comments further enhanced my belief in this). Rydell also gave up his 8th spot in race 1 to Menu and settled for 9th, which made me kind of upset at the time, but that went away when he won

All in all? Two good WTCC races. But for god's sake! The whole "enclosement" thing with all the trucks protecting the drivers from the great Public Horde is just embarrasing (I saw Colciago for a split second but noone else!). Come on, open up a bit! Have proper gridshows! Don't hide away from the fans - and if you do charge for paddock access, make sure that you actually get something from it, not just the excitement of wandering around looking into VIP tents!
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1975995)   #86
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Bear in mind its been raining like crazy, how on earth would they be able to get the standing water away from the grass? How do they even cut the grass? The track is in a lot better state now then it was in 2003 with ETCC, they have totally new pitbuildings now for example. Anderstorp is on a 3 year contract with WTCC and 5 (I think?) year contract with STCC so they should be able to secure some money to make the track a lot better.
They were pumping like hell to get the water out. And I agree that with the rain that fell it was impossible to prevent some parts from flooding. However, the large puddles were also caused by the extremely uneven ground next to the road. But even though it´s better now than in 2003, it still is far off the quality of other venues such as Oschersleben or Magny cours. A good start would be to create paths to the big spectating areas (instead of bare field which turns in to a swamp after one raincloud) and extend the paved paddock area all the way to the gate, so the supportclasses don´t have to be on a location way outside the paddock and the parked cars won´t get stuck in the rain. I mean, how many stories of stuck cars on rained down grassfields do these track-owners need to read before they understand that they don´t work? Just do it like Spa does it, the big parking behind the straight in front of the old pits. Gravel and sand mixed. Yes it becomes a bit dirty, but at least it doesn´t become a soft field where people have to be towed out of.

Don´t get me wrong, I extremely enjoyed the weekend and I love Anderstorp when it comes to its layout. But it´s just dissapointing that the state of the track doesn´t reflects its quality and the racing happening on it.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:59 (Ref:1975997)   #87
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
(I saw Colciago for a split second but noone else!). Come on, open up a bit! Have proper gridshows! Don't hide away from the fans - and if you do charge for paddock access, make sure that you actually get something from it, not just the excitement of wandering around looking into VIP tents!
Actually I saw lots of drivers walking around in the paddock.

Had a very nice weekend and took over 500 photos.. will go through them all at a later stage..

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/01.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/03.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/04.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/05.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/06.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/07.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/08.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/09.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/10.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/11.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/12.jpg

If any of you Formula Masters drivers are reading this.. I'm sorry to say this guy beat your laptime If you don't know who he is.. shame on you

1.19.5XX

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/13.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/15.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/16.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/17.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/18.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/20.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/21.jpg

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtcctemp/22.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, Obizz but as said they're a tad too large - touringlegend.

Last edited by touringlegend; 30 Jul 2007 at 08:58.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1976008)   #88
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
awesome pics!

but you might have to edit the thread, as i think it infringes the posting rules.

Brilliant photos though

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1976012)   #89
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
awesome pics!

but you might have to edit the thread, as i think it infringes the posting rules.

Brilliant photos though
Oh.. sorry, can't keep track of every forum I read and the rules, I try to though...

Seems like there's been too long since I posted for me to edit the post, can a moderator please change them to links instead of IMG tags?
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1976018)   #90
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
They were pumping like hell to get the water out. And I agree that with the rain that fell it was impossible to prevent some parts from flooding. However, the large puddles were also caused by the extremely uneven ground next to the road. But even though it´s better now than in 2003, it still is far off the quality of other venues such as Oschersleben or Magny cours. A good start would be to create paths to the big spectating areas (instead of bare field which turns in to a swamp after one raincloud) and extend the paved paddock area all the way to the gate, so the supportclasses don´t have to be on a location way outside the paddock and the parked cars won´t get stuck in the rain. I mean, how many stories of stuck cars on rained down grassfields do these track-owners need to read before they understand that they don´t work? Just do it like Spa does it, the big parking behind the straight in front of the old pits. Gravel and sand mixed. Yes it becomes a bit dirty, but at least it doesn´t become a soft field where people have to be towed out of.

Don´t get me wrong, I extremely enjoyed the weekend and I love Anderstorp when it comes to its layout. But it´s just dissapointing that the state of the track doesn´t reflects its quality and the racing happening on it.

I see your point, and I agree. However, to compare Anderstorp to Magny Cours, Oschersleben and Spa just isnt fair. Those tracks has just far more high profile races then Anderstorp. For years Anderstorp had no high profile series at all, not even STCC raced on Anderstorp for a while for a number of reasons. Before this they had ETCC in 2002 and 2003, before that was BPR Global Endurance Series in 1996, and before that? F1 in 78 I suppose. Anderstrop fell into quite a sad state after 78 and never recovered, as you can see not many big events are held on this track and that dont generate any money what so ever.
I red somewhere that it was Anderstorp's commitment that gave them this round instead of Turkey that just went along with it and didnt seem to care very much, so they lost the round to someone that did care but maybe didnt have anywhere near as nice track.
As I said, they have a 3 year deal with WTCC and several years with STCC so they WILL improve the state of the track a lot until next year.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1976211)   #91
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
It's kind of a vicious circle isn't it? Not a lot of races, meaning not too much income, meaning no money to improve the track, meaning no big championships there. If only a wealthy investor or something would invest in the track, would open it up to a lot of championships. DTM for example? Would make sense for them to have a race in Scandinavia. WTCC could stay in that case, maybe FIAGT would return, etc. Ah well, we'll see what the future brings.

Regarding the 3-year deal with WTCC; don't forget that doesn't say anything. Zandvoort had a 3-year deal as well, but they're not on the calendar for next year.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1976231)   #92
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Ghehe, the word has come to me that Rydell has ignored 6 calls over his radio in the 2nd race The Chevy team wasn't too happy with him overtaking Menu and Larini, and out of the car he said his radio didn't work anymore. However, after a bit of pushing and more questions he admitted he just wanted to win.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 13:42 (Ref:1976399)   #93
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Both races were great
Old 30 Jul 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1976478)   #94
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Chevy double victories! We look to be a serious title contender now!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1976634)   #95
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Zandvoort had a 3-year deal as well, but they're not on the calendar for next year.
Really? I thought it was just a replacement for the cancelled race in Mexico this year.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 02:01 (Ref:1976821)   #96
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Now I've gone through all my photos and picked out the ones worth showing

http://www.martinoberg.se/foto/wtccand/

*warning* may contain pictures of Bramzel *warning*
Old 31 Jul 2007, 02:29 (Ref:1976825)   #97
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Two great races, interesting and intriguing. Frankly, Rydell was a bit silly, he took off 2 points from NL and AM!. Not sure if I would employ him again in Chevrolet (Wtcc). Great driver he always was, though, but his differential pace was due to tyre choices.

I like Anderstop. I liked the place when the bikes GPs in the 80s. The long straight and the two semibanked corners are great. The two last corners combination is very entertaining!

I prefer this kind of track (good racing layout although old facilities) than urban tracks. The only urbans I like to see in WTCC are Macau and Paul (two very good urban tracks, of course). More urbans is a bit tiresome for a relatively short championship.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1977191)   #98
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great win for the Daewoo's,and although it was a popular win with the crowd,I thought Rydell was a bit silly in the second race. The championship is certainly close enough that it may be the difference at the end of the year.Pretty sure RML won't be inviting him back for another drive after that. I felt for Larini, and can understand why he was so frustrated.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1977334)   #99
M-Power
Rookie

Germany
Hannover, Germany
M-Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was the Rosenblad car white? As he started in stcc the car was orange!
Was it the same car?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1977424)   #100
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power
Why was the Rosenblad car white? As he started in stcc the car was orange!
Was it the same car?
Maybe he's found some time to repaint it (as he had just gotten it back from RAC before the Sturup race)

Tags
wtcc