Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2021, 17:50 (Ref:4072175)   #76
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Mad Max on winning his home GP. Just settling down to watch the highlights on C4, something I haven't done in a long time, to see how he did it and how the race unfolded.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 19:48 (Ref:4072185)   #77
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It's a race that's being run by the strategists at the moment.

In surprising news, 45 laps in and serve only had one spin (Vettel) and no crashes. Mazepin pushed back into the garage a couple of laps back.

The first lap was *epic*. Two, three wide through the first few corners and only tiny bits of contact.
Very much so, until they strung out after the first 2 laps. Start was very clean and interesting. It did not seem like following was too tough here in the dirty air but many times the following car was on the softer of the tires
Old 5 Sep 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4072196)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems like Pirelli did a good job a again to give us a race.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 21:27 (Ref:4072200)   #79
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Only saw the C4 highlights, but a number of things strike me :

Pre-race there was much talk (not necessarily here) of how it was impossible to overtake, and how there would be a great risk of red-flags or Safety Cars......neither of which prognostications turned out to have much justification. I don't think I even saw a yellow flag, although Vettel's half-spin, only seen in the post-race wrap-up, probably caused one. Quite a few good overtaking moves, in unlikely places, sometimes....

Bottas is clearly history - a half-hearted attempt to play the team game, but no real defence against Verstappen to aid Hamilton, then querying the instruction to not go for fastest lap, followed by outright disobedience (although Toto claimed it was accidental......). However, Hamilton's response was a more emphatic "up-yours" than Bottas's had been Although the only other driver unlapped by Verstappen and Hamilton, Bottas was never really in the fight, irrespective of different strategies.

Really liked the circuit! May aim to go next year - it's likely cheaper to attend than Silverstone, and I can visit my Dutch mates.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 22:13 (Ref:4072209)   #80
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWIW, Vettel’s spin did cause a brief yellow.

I think that Bottas did do it accidentally. I think it was pretty easy to go fast as the car was practically in qualifying spec. Maybe he wanted to show he could have, and he did ease off at the end of the lap. It was mentioned to the tune of 0.8s in the final sector, but it was still fastest! It did mean Lewis has no problem getting it back.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 22:37 (Ref:4072210)   #81
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Enjoyed the race - the cars and the commitment needed are so good to watch around here & the crowd input really added.

So after some swings and roundabouts we're back to almost even-stevens in the title race - game on there and with a completely different challenge to look forward to next weekend.

Looking forward to Monza after enjoying this one.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 22:56 (Ref:4072213)   #82
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few last thoughts.

I don't think Bottas was really trying to get fast lap. He was purple in the first two sectors and was probably quick in the last, but did lift to not do a quick last sector. I think he was trying to make a point to show that he "could have done it", but it ended up being fastest lap anyhow! The one Lewis did moments later was 1.4 seconds quicker. I think Wolff and Hamilton was all smiles and downplaying it, but I am sure if somehow Lewis had not gotten the fastest lap, it would have been a different story.

As to why the brought Bottas in. I assume that they were planning on bringing Lewis in to improve upon the fastest lap given it was probably not that quick of a fast lap (see above about Bottas accidently getting it). But if they were to bring Lewis in, would that have not put him behind Bottas? Then they would have to both allow Lewis to get a quick lap AND orchestrate a pass on Bottas. Plus it created the potential of him running in dirty air behind Bottas?

So just bring Bottas in to push him back away from Lewis, but still safely in third. Then bring Lewis in. If they had brought Lewis in first and placed him third, that created a risk of something happening (red flag crash that stops the race, or maybe even Bottas ignoring orders and not pitting and keeping second) and putting the 2nd place for Lewis at risk.

Great drives from Gasly and Alonso. I think there needs to be more discussion on how well those two did. And interesting drama between the drivers at Haas. I think the track produced better racing than expected. I was not surprised by the qty of orange smoke.

Richard
Old 6 Sep 2021, 05:43 (Ref:4072245)   #83
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bottas was just ****ed off they were not honoust about it. Just say we gonna pit you to give Lewis space to also pit and go for fastest lap.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4072261)   #84
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The fans might have been rather partisan but they certainly gave the event their enthusiastic support.I doubt the tifosi will make any more noise next weekend.Such a nice change from some of the more modern circuits with sparse attendances and no distinctive features.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 07:26 (Ref:4072263)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Certainly enjoyed the highlights. Great battle between Lewis and Max. Bottas once again doing the team job, quite funny seeing him briefly take the fastest lap.

Hard luck for Giovinazzi after qualifying so high up and then getting that puncture.

Great recovery from Checo, proof you can overtake at this circuit. Just like the old days, we saw plenty of action into Tarzan

Great drive by Gasly, started fourth, finished fourth
Old 6 Sep 2021, 09:40 (Ref:4072283)   #86
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i wouldnt say an interesting race, but for some reason this weekend felt 'wholesome'...wierd to explain.

It was interesting to hear from Ziggo Sport and Dutch drivers saying the booing is mainly coming from football fans whove come across to motorsport since Max has started winning....which they dont approve of or like.

Even as a Hamilton fan, im glad Max won on home turf, he looked incredible in that car all weekend.

Tbh, after all the world has gone through, and the dutch cancellation last year, its good to see the home boy win.

Lewis did very well to recover a lack of track time and to minimise the points deficit by getting fastest lap was probably the best he could hope for, so maximised from that point of view.

Bottas 'fastest lap'....yeh hes a man that knows hes gone. i dont think he intended to set fastest lap, but certianly intended to make a point by getting the first 2 sectors purple.

To those saying its not fair to compromise Bottas, stop him getting points etc, its a team game...people seem to forget Red Bull pulling in Perez at Silverstone, costing him championship points, just to get the fastest lap point taken off hamilton.

In the end, not the best grand prix.....but the 'right' result. Fair play Max, Red Bull and the Dutch fans.

Roll on Monza!
Old 6 Sep 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4072310)   #87
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I love Turn 3, so strange watching the overhead view and seeing them run out so much. It looks like they've run wide and are going off the track!

There then follows a really nice succession of corners. Satisfying to watch and would love to drive it. The last corner seems an easy run in qually, but could provide something tasty in the race.
Which makes me think, would Turn 1 benefit from being banked too? there was a couple of good passes, but the extreme inside looked too dirty or not a sharp enough stop to promote overtaking....

...i wonder if they made it banked, if it would promote more overtaking....or a sharper stop in theory.

DRS zone didnt seem powerful enough, so i guess they will try to run wide open on the banking next year too.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4072313)   #88
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Tarzan is cambered enough and we saw plenty of side by side action, so I don’t think it needs massive banking
Old 6 Sep 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4072316)   #89
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Which makes me think, would Turn 1 benefit from being banked too? there was a couple of good passes, but the extreme inside looked too dirty or not a sharp enough stop to promote overtaking....

...i wonder if they made it banked, if it would promote more overtaking....or a sharper stop in theory.

DRS zone didnt seem powerful enough, so i guess they will try to run wide open on the banking next year too.
Turn 1 is banked. Probably be easier to overtake if it wasn’t.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4072323)   #90
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i wouldnt say an interesting race, but for some reason this weekend felt 'wholesome'...wierd to explain.
I can relate to that. After Spa, a full house, some Indian Summer sunshine by the beach. I was a chilled vibe that F1 needed after Spa.

Quote:
It was interesting to hear from Ziggo Sport and Dutch drivers saying the booing is mainly coming from football fans whove come across to motorsport since Max has started winning....which they dont approve of or like.
Luckily, Jan Lammers and Guido van de Garde asked for some respect for the 7 time world champion, which in the end he got. Missed opportunity for Verstappen to rise above and ask his fans the same and teach them how it's done in motorsport.

Quote:
I'm not sure it is really necessary next year, with the new aero regulation. If you look at the Verstappen Bottas pass, you could see Verstappen using every milimeter of track in the corner before the banked one to stay as close as possible. He was already very close even before entering the DRS zone. If next year the cars can follow much better in corner 14 then everyone will be much closer going into the banked corner.

It would be a shame if they extended the DRS into the banking and then find out overtaking becomes TOO easy.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4072325)   #91
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I can relate to that. After Spa, a full house, some Indian Summer sunshine by the beach. I was a chilled vibe that F1 needed after Spa.

Luckily, Jan Lammers and Guido van de Garde asked for some respect for the 7 time world champion, which in the end he got. Missed opportunity for Verstappen to rise above and ask his fans the same and teach them how it's done in motorsport.

I'm not sure it is really necessary next year, with the new aero regulation. If you look at the Verstappen Bottas pass, you could see Verstappen using every milimeter of track in the corner before the banked one to stay as close as possible. He was already very close even before entering the DRS zone. If next year the cars can follow much better in corner 14 then everyone will be much closer going into the banked corner.

It would be a shame if they extended the DRS into the banking and then find out overtaking becomes TOO easy.
Agree on all this.

Think the main reason Max could get close though was grip. new tyres v old around a high speed corner....not sure hed have been able to that on equal tyres
Old 6 Sep 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4072339)   #92
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Agree on all this.

Think the main reason Max could get close though was grip. new tyres v old around a high speed corner....not sure hed have been able to that on equal tyres
Agreed, but that might be compensated next year with the new aero which allows better following even on equal tires. We'll have to wait and see the first few races of next year.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4072343)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Agreed, but that might be compensated next year with the new aero which allows better following even on equal tires. We'll have to wait and see the first few races of next year.

Yes I am looking forward to hopefully seeing cars battling closer next year
Old 7 Sep 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4072477)   #94
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Because the track was new on the schedule new it was interesting to watch the race but in the future normally it will be a boring race.

I was surprised there were no crashes.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4073796)   #95
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Formula 1 fan arrested after being mistaken for mafia boss

'A Formula 1 fan from Liverpool was arrested at gunpoint in the Netherlands after being mistaken for a mafia boss.

The 54-year-old, known only as Mark L, was blindfolded and led away by police in The Hague on Wednesday who thought they had captured Sicilian crime lord Matteo Messina Denaro, 59.

Mark L, who had attended the grand prix on 5 September, has now been freed, the Dutch Public Prosecutor's Office said.'
Old 14 Sep 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4073812)   #96
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Confused by the accent?
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4073863)   #97
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Formula 1 fan arrested after being mistaken for mafia boss

'A Formula 1 fan from Liverpool was arrested at gunpoint in the Netherlands after being mistaken for a mafia boss.

The 54-year-old, known only as Mark L, was blindfolded and led away by police in The Hague on Wednesday who thought they had captured Sicilian crime lord Matteo Messina Denaro, 59.

Mark L, who had attended the grand prix on 5 September, has now been freed, the Dutch Public Prosecutor's Office said.'

This almost belongs in the Weird Local News Thread