Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2207104)   #76
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Let's not turn this into another 'Michael Schumacher' thread.

Michael Schooommmaaaccchhheeerrrrr.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2207129)   #77
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I may take the "I told you so" approach I never saw what the hype was about Piquet in the first place. Kovalainen showed some quick pace pretty early on last season despite not stringing it together until Canada. Piquet hasn't. He was well funded in F3 and GP2, which made him look better than he is.

Nakajima is doing a better job despite not having a year's testing like Piquet has had. Grosjean also looks a much better bet, I don't think Alonso would veto as in an F1 driver's thinking process they never believe that another driver could be better (which is why Alonso believes McLaren screwed him rather than Hamilton was better).

I'd bet on Piquet being the first driver to stuff it in the wall on Sunday, how long he remains at Renault will depend on Briatore but if fourth in the constructors championship is lost by the time of the end of season fly-away races he should try Grosjean out.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2207134)   #78
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'll be impressed if he makes it to Sunday without stuffing it in a wall.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 May 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2207172)   #79
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel or Piquet - who will stuff it into the armco first? Could well be the most exciting battle of the weekend unless there's rain.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2207176)   #80
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He was well funded in F3 and GP2, which made him look better than he is.
He came 2nd in the GP2 championship. That's not bad at all.

Quote:
Nakajima is doing a better job despite not having a year's testing like Piquet has had.
I think Nakajima's been a bit crappy actually. Not that I expected him to better. Seems like a nice chap though (irrelevant I know!)- on the ITV highlights shows, when a driver's interviewed by Louise Goodman after retiring, they show what was filmed. When she said to him something like "Giancarlo says it's not his fault", the wide-eyed, raised eyebrow expression of Kazuki was priceless and said it all.
Old 20 May 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2207361)   #81
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
You have taken the words out of my mouth...
Old 20 May 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2207507)   #82
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully he'll do well there, at least, it was the place he was made...
Old 20 May 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2207851)   #83
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is being blown out of proportion a little.

Now, I'm not his biggest fan, but being a Renault fan I have observed Nelson's part in the team since he began testing.

Nelson started out in Renault as a little diva with an entourage and his father egging him on. He's since been 'baptised' by Renault's ever-personality-refining approach...in that nobody gave a toss and showed it wasn't welcome, Pat is exceptional with people, Flavio for all his flamboyance is actually very sharp in managing driver mentality, and nelson must have a great mother because he's certainly showing capacity to be less of a...well...like his father.

He's clearly been humbled, and for all the criticism, he's kept his head down and is appearing to take everything on board, including learning where he can. He's got a tough-as-boots environment where his teammate is adored and can do no wrong in the team's eyes, and everyone is pretty straight-talking in Renault (hence this whole episode coming to light in the first place).

The fact he screwed up quali, and he berated himself only to go on and actually put on a pretty good performance in the race (masked by having to avoid Fisi's crash at the beginning, even though he had the best start in that back of the field pack...and also having to start so far back in the first place) - well it shows that he has the capacity to improve off the back of criticism and self-awareness.

I think this humbling process will be the making of Nelson, for as long as his father doesn't cut in edgeways and have a strop on behalf of his son. As much as I'm not a huge fan, I do feel he is one of the drivers with great potential, and raw speed for that matter. I just don't think he was as mentally prepared for the difference in F1 racing to testing as say Heikki was.

I say that this is being blown out of proportion because I think Steve Neilson said and reiterated what he did so publically more for Nelson's benefit than anything else. Pat has also said that Nelson's performance is not going unnoticed, but Renault with there recent history are not a team that is likely to ditch him so easily without giving him a season's worth to prove himself.

Last edited by pottiella; 20 May 2008 at 22:49.
Old 21 May 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2207902)   #84
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everybody likes to , why should be different with little Nelson ?
Old 21 May 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2207909)   #85
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
In all honesty many drivers could stick it into the wall at Monaco and if it rains well anybody's guess..

And you are right Bon "we do" and I am sure we will continue to do so..
Old 21 May 2008, 01:21 (Ref:2207915)   #86
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps someone can open a "how long for Vettel at STR" thread just so as we get a whole new horse...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 May 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2208123)   #87
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice post Pottiella. Piquet clearly has potential and to the likes of forum posters he's probably there to some extent because of his name - though that would be unfair, but that's the internet for you.

That said though I maintain he needs to improve. If the powers that be who hold the purse strings were considering the future of the team in the past and the team is less successful now would they be patient for a driver not doing the business? I hope so and Renault don't really have a history of chopping and changing, but Piquet needs to step forward unless he sees a Force India-type future ahead of him.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2208157)   #88
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Despite being the thread starter, I would like to add although he is performing poorly, I detest drivers not getting a proper shake.

IMHO, driver contracts are for one year, and thats how long they should get. It would force teams to choose wisely, and give rookies a proper chance and take some pressure off them.

I often wonder how many drivers careers were over before they started, just because that initial pressure was too much. We have seen many proven drivers (Bourdais?) struggle at first, so why not these younger guys?
Old 21 May 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2208164)   #89
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that they should get a proper chance. It's all very well saying that F1 is a pressure cooker environment and they should respond to that but it's in everyone at Renault's interests (apart from maybe Alonso's) that he is not made to think that he might get booted out at any moment.

The pressure just to retain his seat is a sufficient and just level of pressure.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2208895)   #90
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I know it's only free pratice, but Piquet was about 2 seconds off Alonso's pace this morning, dispite what Renault say, that cant be in the script.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2208908)   #91
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I know it's only free pratice, but Piquet was about 2 seconds off Alonso's pace this morning, dispite what Renault say, that cant be in the script.
Maybe he is just saving himself for qualifying V!

I am still looking around for all the folks who noted that he would "destroy" FA this season...if he does, it is going to be a hell of a surprise not only to us but FA and himself as well...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2208917)   #92
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GrandPrix.com (quite a credible site) claims that Piquet could be replaced by Davidson, Sato or Liuzzi within the next few races.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20392.html
Old 22 May 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2208936)   #93
nonstock
Rookie

nonstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet's performance in the first practice was abysmal. He nearly canned it at nouvelle chicane.

Alonso 7th, Piquet 18th, something is wrong there.

I hope Sato takes his place.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2208937)   #94
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is fantastically awful, a true anti-talent
Old 22 May 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2208938)   #95
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The amount of times that rag starts a story from a thread here....
Old 22 May 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2208945)   #96
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
GrandPrix.com (quite a credible site) claims that Piquet could be replaced by Davidson, Sato or Liuzzi within the next few races.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20392.html

If they were going to replace him (which I don't think they are, at least not mid-season), are those three drivers really the best options available to them?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 May 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2208950)   #97
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Flav being his personal manager he's got to tread carefully here to limit the damage done to his 'protege', as it'll hit Flav in the pocket too. If he turns it around, which he won't i'm sure, then this diabolical start will be forgotten, but a full season of battling the Toro Rosso's won't exactly have the Renault bosses doing cartwheels across their office...

It's a classic case of being too protected on the way up, and as much as Daddy can assist on the way through, now he's there and made it, he's having to battle against one of the truly great drivers in the world and is being made to look tosh to be honest...has he done a race yet where he hasn't gone off at some stage whilst battling for 15/16/17th!?

Last edited by spider; 22 May 2008 at 11:07.
Old 22 May 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2209028)   #98
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Mission accomplished.
Old 22 May 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2209029)   #99
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
Mission accomplished.
Beat me to it lol
Old 22 May 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2209033)   #100
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

That's the only reason I just came in this thread as well!