Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jul 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1955579)   #76
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eco wise they, Toyota, already do the D4D diesel engine which is pretty clean running so I suppose a trip down oily lane isnt too far fetched really. It would be good to see more manufacturers entering LM. Was watching the race again today (sky+ is wonderful ) and there was mention that the ACO has approached various engine manufacturers to develop engine technology for LM. So who knows? There could be a lot of top class interest in the future! Fingers crossed!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1955647)   #77
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that long term might not be too long, as audi already said that they are looking for the next challenge for a new car following the r10. they seem to already back off their diesel thing and think about something probably easier to be made fast
i still suppose in 2008 they'll come again with the r10, maybe in 2009 too, but in 2010 we just might see a beautiful coupe audi again (after 11 years!) embracing some other revolutionary technology... how about that?
Old 6 Jul 2007, 01:44 (Ref:1955719)   #78
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
Suppose they go for diesel hybrids....
You are a bad person!
Old 6 Jul 2007, 07:40 (Ref:1955813)   #79
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
that long term might not be too long, as audi already said that they are looking for the next challenge for a new car following the r10. they seem to already back off their diesel thing and think about something probably easier to be made fast
i still suppose in 2008 they'll come again with the r10, maybe in 2009 too, but in 2010 we just might see a beautiful coupe audi again (after 11 years!) embracing some other revolutionary technology... how about that?
on the other hand Peugeot announced at the Ring that they are planning to make the 908 available for customers as well....
Old 6 Jul 2007, 07:41 (Ref:1955814)   #80
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I also recall hearing, but I cant remember where, that Audi are not intending to stick with diesel for too many years and they will look into other alternatives
Old 6 Jul 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1955818)   #81
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
You are a bad person!
I have learned to appreciate loads of torque in combination with a reasonable fuel bill....
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1956235)   #82
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bio fuel alternatives? Just how big a fuel tank will that give them?
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1956241)   #83
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Bio fuel alternatives? Just how big a fuel tank will that give them?
ACO will grow the corn along the track....
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1956252)   #84
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
ACO will grow the corn along the track....
No doubt AUDI will come up with an onboard processing plant for that too!!!!!
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1956254)   #85
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for sure, i can't wait for a new audi... especially in terms of looks, to be completely honest and maybe in terms of higher speed-lower downforce... basically a higher top speed car seems more spectacular to me than a high downforce car, as audi ran for the past 7 years. i recall their 1999 models running faster on the mulsanne than the r8 or r10... the coupe was the fastest car in the race on the mulsanne, except for the toyotas... but unfortunately it had some handling problems (one of the drivers - can't remember which of them, quoted the car wheelspins immediately if you try to apply the brakes in a curve, so you have to only brake before the curve). but the idea is that with today's racing experience, audi could build a coupe just as nice looking and fast on the straights, but without those begginer errors and i'd for sure like to see such things at le mans for the next years!
Old 6 Jul 2007, 16:32 (Ref:1956338)   #86
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
for sure, i can't wait for a new audi... especially in terms of looks, to be completely honest and maybe in terms of higher speed-lower downforce... basically a higher top speed car seems more spectacular to me than a high downforce car, as audi ran for the past 7 years. i recall their 1999 models running faster on the mulsanne than the r8 or r10... the coupe was the fastest car in the race on the mulsanne, except for the toyotas... but unfortunately it had some handling problems (one of the drivers - can't remember which of them, quoted the car wheelspins immediately if you try to apply the brakes in a curve, so you have to only brake before the curve). but the idea is that with today's racing experience, audi could build a coupe just as nice looking and fast on the straights, but without those begginer errors and i'd for sure like to see such things at le mans for the next years!
Why would Audi fix what is not broken? Le Mans is a downforce track now. They build their cars accordingly.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1956423)   #87
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Le Mans is a downforce track now.
Low downforce track .....
Old 6 Jul 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1956463)   #88
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but they are not going for outright top speed anymore, and they are certainly carrying more downforce than they would in the pre chicane years. It's all about the lap time, not the speed trap numbers.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1956639)   #89
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I have learned to appreciate loads of torque in combination with a reasonable fuel bill....
BUT! If Audi hears this, they will do a bio-diesel hybrid! You won't hear the engine note, but maybe electrical whine, and the exhaust could smell like fried soy or something!
Old 7 Jul 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1956694)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True, but they are not going for outright top speed anymore, and they are certainly carrying more downforce than they would in the pre chicane years. It's all about the lap time, not the speed trap numbers.
Having said that, since 1990 Le Mans has become a 24 hour 'sprint' race - the cars no longer have to be built to surive 24 hours of blasting down the Mulsanne as fast as possible (more's the pity). These days, the reliability of the top entrants is such as to make it entirely possible to run flat out for 24 hours. I mean, I absolutely hate the Audi domination we've seen since 2000 (although I wouldn't be quite so annoyed about it had they gone the customer route that Porsche have taken in the past) but I have to grudgingly admire the steamrollering way in which they've done it so that no-one can really live with them.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1956715)   #91
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As an aside, I'd be interested to know who reduced this thread's rating to three stars......... ??? As it was on five, someone must have thought it one-star (terrible) material to knock it down to three........
Old 7 Jul 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1956749)   #92
sssssssss
Veteran

Quote:
basically it was the same chicane track back in '99, when toyota hit 352 km/h, and mercedes and audi 349 km/h. in fact, it's quite a bit faster than back then, as they've modified tetre rouge...
on the other hand, like i already mentioned, i think audi have already slightly reduced downforce for the year 2007 (339 km/h instead of 326 km/h in 2006)
Old 7 Jul 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1956763)   #93
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
As an aside, I'd be interested to know who reduced this thread's rating to three stars......... ??? As it was on five, someone must have thought it one-star (terrible) material to knock it down to three........
Well, I've just given it my wholehearted seal of approval......which appears to have made little difference.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1956772)   #94
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Well, I've just given it my wholehearted seal of approval......which appears to have made little difference.
I never look at the "star-rating" anyway....
Old 7 Jul 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1956797)   #95
sssssssss
Veteran

i don't know how to vote... some tips? =))
Old 7 Jul 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1956799)   #96
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
yes, don't....
Old 7 Jul 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1956897)   #97
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
From were I'm lookin,the thread seems te be rated at 5 stars again.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1957042)   #98
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
On most threads you can give the thread a rating - just look at the bar at the top of the thread page..... One of those things that memberts don't do all that often - a bit like giving reputation (or 'rep') to other members.

By the way, I'm editing the thread for the one-word wonders.....
Old 10 Jul 2007, 17:16 (Ref:1959876)   #99
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Found this heading over on Mariantic

"Autocon will seek entry with new Creation ALMS"
Old 11 Jul 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1960371)   #100
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Having said that, since 1990 Le Mans has become a 24 hour 'sprint' race - the cars no longer have to be built to surive 24 hours of blasting down the Mulsanne as fast as possible (more's the pity). These days, the reliability of the top entrants is such as to make it entirely possible to run flat out for 24 hours. I mean, I absolutely hate the Audi domination we've seen since 2000 (although I wouldn't be quite so annoyed about it had they gone the customer route that Porsche have taken in the past) but I have to grudgingly admire the steamrollering way in which they've done it so that no-one can really live with them.
In the long term that means we should be in for some cracking races because when more manufacturers eventually do step up then they will have to have cars that can run flat out out for 24 hours as well which should lead to some fantastic racing.