Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Dec 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2083620)   #76
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I think before we attempt a third Asian series this time, there should be some guarenteed manufacturer support before they go ahead with it.
Perhaps the ACO know something we dont
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2103830)   #77
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the announcement of the new MG/RML affiliation and the badging of the AER by MG (Chinese) lets hope this will be a boost for the future Pan-Asian "LM" series. Things seem to be coalescing to a certain degree for a possible good start for the proposed series.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 10 Jan 2008 at 22:58.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2103841)   #78
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ACO already has the new series on their calendar, no dates mentioned though....to make it easier it is called Asian Le Mans Series.

Perhaps they are forcing people to mention the full name instead of ALMS?
Old 10 Jan 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2103866)   #79
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
With the announcement of the new MG/RML affiliation and the badging of the AER by MG (Chinese) lets hope this will be a boost for the future Pan-Asian "LM" series.

L.P.
PALM ??
Old 13 Jan 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2105279)   #80
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^hey, it's no lamer than "ALMS".

i think that until the mess over gt rules is sorted out, the acura program actually offers customer cars/engines and other japanese manufacturers become interested in ACO rules racing again (rumours aside, there's nothing concrete to show they are), asian sports car racing will be unable to be run under ACO rules.

super gt has manufacturer support as a domestic program, it has the support of sponsors and fans, and any prospective aco rules series has none of that at this time...
Old 13 Jan 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2105482)   #81
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
^hey, it's no lamer than "ALMS".

i think that until the mess over gt rules is sorted out, the acura program actually offers customer cars/engines and other japanese manufacturers become interested in ACO rules racing again (rumours aside, there's nothing concrete to show they are), asian sports car racing will be unable to be run under ACO rules.

super gt has manufacturer support as a domestic program, it has the support of sponsors and fans, and any prospective aco rules series has none of that at this time...
Super GT has huge fan support and anything trying to compete with it now won't fare well
Old 23 Jan 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2111711)   #82
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Asian series I think is even harder to achieve. The ACO will need to find local promoters willing to pay for the teams to travel around Asia and promote/market the race locally. I wonder where the promoters will come from.

If Audi and Peugeot both send cars to the Asian Le Mans Series, then it might be interesting, but with no confirmed entries, who on earth will take the promoter role?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2112223)   #83
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
with no confirmed entries,...
This is the stupid thing about the series; there are plenty of cars with an asia/pacific link -

Want Le Mans '08 entry:
Creation AIM
Charouz Lola (Malaysian rumours)
YGK Courage
Tokai Courage
Dome

Asia/Pacific manufacturers:
Acura
Mazda
MG

Old cars (but I'm sure they would be allowed in some capacity):
Hitsoyama Zytek
Courage Mugen
Goh Audi R8

If any of the first 5 comitted to the series, they could hold a gun to the ACO's head for an LM entry, why don't they try it?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2112301)   #84
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I am surprised that Goh dont support their local series ?
Old 24 Jan 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2112360)   #85
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
This is the stupid thing about the series; there are plenty of cars with an asia/pacific link -

Want Le Mans '08 entry:
Creation AIM
Charouz Lola (Malaysian rumours)
YGK Courage
Tokai Courage
Dome

Asia/Pacific manufacturers:
Acura
Mazda
MG

Old cars (but I'm sure they would be allowed in some capacity):
Hitsoyama Zytek
Courage Mugen
Goh Audi R8
None of them are actually very exciting for the locals, who have been out of touch for ages with sportscar racing.

You could say Toyota and Honda could come in and do something, but that's just talk right now.

If Toyota indeed builds a Hybrid car, and it beats the Audi R10, then it is big news. But winning against privateers is not exactly going to make the frontpage of the major newspapers.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2113458)   #86
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The revamped Kruse team to become "IMS/Racing for Thailand". Another team that could possibly be a candidate for the Asian LeMans Series with the oversubsciption of the LMS.(?) link

L.P.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2113552)   #87
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Super GT has huge fan support and anything trying to compete with it now won't fare wel
nail - head. Dome an all Japanese LMP1 outfit... will be racing at Le Mans - and maybe in the LMS. No mention of the JLMS
Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2113581)   #88
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
nail - head. Dome an all Japanese LMP1 outfit... will be racing at Le Mans - and maybe in the LMS. No mention of the JLMS
How could there be any mention of the JLMC since at the moment there is nothing in place until the ACO bring it back on line as 'Asian Le Mans Series' ? link

L.P.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2115301)   #89
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Quote:
How could there be any mention of the JLMC since at the moment there is nothing in place until the ACO bring it back on line as 'Asian Le Mans Series' ? link

L.P.

I am not saying the ACO isn't capable of it, but I will be quite interested to see where the Asian Le Mans Series race. There really aren't that many options in terms of interested circuits and entries.

Le Mans is huge in Europe, but in Asia, not that it is unheard of but it is just not very hot.

If the ACO tries to do it post European and American summer season and have races from November till mid-December in Japan, China and Australia, with the best teams from LMS and ALMS, then it might be interesting. I remember the Adelaide race in 2000.

Last edited by Asa; 28 Jan 2008 at 08:26.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2115630)   #90
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Japanease manufactuers Le Mans programs are traditionally run from Europe, or with strong European connections, i.e TOM's Europe, TTE, NME, TWR, Lola etc. with cars finding there way back home if there's a domestic series, i.e the Japanease Group C Series, which was every bit as big as Super GT.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2115664)   #91
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
I am not saying the ACO isn't capable of it, but I will be quite interested to see where the Asian Le Mans Series race. There really aren't that many options in terms of interested circuits and entries.

Le Mans is huge in Europe, but in Asia, not that it is unheard of but it is just not very hot.

If the ACO tries to do it post European and American summer season and have races from November till mid-December in Japan, China and Australia, with the best teams from LMS and ALMS, then it might be interesting. I remember the Adelaide race in 2000.
Funny you should say that, this is a blog entry I wrote a while ago

http://www.theraceforums.com/forums/...try-again.html

re. the name, how about PLMC? Pacific Le Mans Challenge.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2115671)   #92
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is for the upcoming world series...Planet Le Mans Challenge
Old 4 Feb 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2120928)   #93
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Well it is Official the LMS round 6 will be in Shanghai to kick off the Asian LeMans Series! link or in French

L.P.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2120950)   #94
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Interesting. and the WINNER in each class will recieve an invite to the LM24 for 2009.

Of which China will pay for transportation costs for teams?

Two event for 2009 are planned, Shanghi and Japan.

Now if that darn translator computer would learn or be programed by some one who spoke English we would not have to translate the broken English to understandable English.

:lol:
Old 4 Feb 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2121089)   #95
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What date will that race have ?

Will it clash with an ALMS round ?

If not , it would be interesting to see if some American teams support the race ? Might be an interesting entry with a free LM entry for class winners .
Old 4 Feb 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2121091)   #96
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
[SIZE=3]Well it is Official the LMS round 6 will be in Shanghai to kick off the Asian LeMans Series!
L.P.
There is no mention in either email that I have had today that the Shanghai race is anything at all to do with the Le Mans Series
Old 4 Feb 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2121105)   #97
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

If not , it would be interesting to see if some American teams support the race ? Might be an interesting entry with a free LM entry for class winners .
November 2nd, just in time for teams to fly from Laguna Seca.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2121113)   #98
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Very well could be that it is a stand alone, maybe my bad! As on re-reading the announcement it does not say it will be a round of the LMS in 08.
With the deadline for the applications by the end of the week I thought it only natural that the ACO would announce the final stop of the series before that deadline to allow the teams to know where the final round would be contested. As then if the teams do apply for the full season, I would agree with The Badger and the teams should be expected to participate or face sanctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

When: Nov. 2nd
Will it conflict with ALMS: Not directly
This race, depending on whether or not there is a 6th round of the LMS and where, could very well interfere with the participation of LMS teams doing Petit and Laguna. So depending on these factors I would say that it very well could conflict with the ALMS.

L.P.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2121127)   #99
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC reports that one team (My gut says Creation) have already said they'll do Petit, Laguna, then Shanghai on a round trip.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2121142)   #100
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Says something about having the backing of manufactuers and a large marketing budget to make it one of the major events of the year.

A major Asian event does make more sense than Brazil, I doubt many teams would go to Brazil if it wasn't part of the LMS, but a major end of season Asian event could be very attractive to manufactuers and teams from both the LMS and ALMS.

I wonder were the second round in Japan will be scheduled in '09.