Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2024326)   #76
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Terence - I'm not complaining about the charging driver, it's the one who never looks in his mirrors because he either cannot see due to a vision defect or couldn't give a fig for the safety of anyone else. If it was only the neck of the person doing these things then that's up to him BUT he is endangering anyone in close proximity both faster and slower! People mutter but do not want to be seen as troublemakers or 'sour grapes'.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:26 (Ref:2024360)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem Lynx,you,r are absolutly correct RE ,the drivers who do drive in a reckless way,unfortunatlythat driving has to be seen by the observers ,if they miss it,then god help anyone who happen,s to get in the way!
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2024364)   #78
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I still say it can be controlled by the club if the will is there. As I said we as most clubs, had a requirement be a member to race. If you membership was withdrawn for any reason then you could not race its as simple as that and we did use it as a weopon to stop errant driving standards. When you have half the guys coming up to you and saying they will not race if this particullar bloke is on the grid then you have to do something.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2024445)   #79
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
It is impossible to have a discussion about safety without considering the pros and cons of the HANS and similar devices, it was discussed earlier in the year on the racers forum but not in the context of Historic Motorsport, though there were posts from Historic Racers. Has there been any recent research or comment from Motorsport bodies, and has this been aimed at the older car?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2024451)   #80
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS is a good point but I think unless it is compulsory most will give it a miss due to the cost. Maybe it should be though like a harness, cage and extinguisher.

I know you can't value your life but I couldn't afford it at the moment but I did get the best 6 point harnesses and the best "winged" chair plus I've not seen any data of it's protection in historic vehicles.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2024484)   #81
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Yes, without a good seat and harness the HANS device will not work effectively - I guess it boils down to cash for most. Until it is compulsory, anything relatively new brought into racing is thought to be expensive and a luxury. When my husband first raced he was using Les Leston overalls soaked in Borax for fire proofing - so we have come a long way in fifty years - even if some are racing forty year old+ cars.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2024494)   #82
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The alternative to the HANS is a good neck collar,not as effecient may be but a very similar effect of stopping the head going too far forward on a frontal impact.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:55 (Ref:2024577)   #83
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
The alternative to the HANS is a good neck collar,not as effecient may be but a very similar effect of stopping the head going too far forward on a frontal impact.
Its difficult to discuss on safety issues as no crash is the same as no car is the same. Hans together with a more modern formula car say a "historic swift bd88 ff1600" is another ballgame as Hans in an older say formula junior with just one roll hoop and no decent sidebars at shouldershight . Allthough my collar bones start tinteling by the thought of a massive "Radillon" off with a neck collar. I would bet on Hans this time.......................
In historic racecars the safest item should be the driver
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:00 (Ref:2024615)   #84
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hear Hear Esper,thats exactly where most responsibility lies.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2024632)   #85
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I must buy one of those terry, i have seen them used and I have issues with my neck.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2024640)   #86
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
I think eyesight problems is a very differant issue and I'd like to know what the MSA in the UK do about that, I assume it's not a tested thing??
It most certainly is supposed to be tested, including full binocular vision, i.e. both eyes work in sync. so you can judge distances.

Guess it's a bit like eligibility thread - all very well having rules but a waste of time if they are circumvented.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2024650)   #87
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Always have mine tested with the annual medical but I am over 50, always thought that as daft that everyone does not require the medical anyhow as you hear of guys well under that age having heart attacks etc. and their eyesight may be well to cock also and go untested.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2024983)   #88
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been following this one and not said anything as I'm not really a racer (yet), but I have to put my 2 cents in. I'm all for safety measures which protect other drivers, marshalls, spectators etc. And I'm all for as much safety stuff as I can reasonably put in my own car, but I have to tell you, the safety stuff is a big hurdle for someone like me. When you're trying to prep a car on a serious budget, and you don't really know what you're doing in the first place, it is enough of a struggle to get going. You've got to spend £1500 on on rollover, extinguisher, kill switches, fuel tank breather, belts, helmet & fireproofs. In my case that much spare cash takes not far off a year to save up. So when talk turns to things like the HANS device becoming mandatory I'm in two minds about it - I don't want to say anything against a measure which will undoubtedly save lives and injury, but from a personal perspective I feel like I'm adult enough to decide if I want to wear one or not.

/rant over
Old 28 Sep 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2025165)   #89
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Redneck,IF the Hans is made compulsory,it wont be for quite sometime,also,the Seat will not be compatible with this device.Carry on building you,r car and get out there soon.I have to say that if all of you,r safety equipment has only cost £1,500,you are doing incrediably well
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2025276)   #90
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the encouragement Terrence. I was estimating £1500 as I haven't actually bought most of it yet but I shall have to add another £500 to that I suppose!!! I'm still building slowly but surely but my neighbours don't seem to approve of people building racecars out of daily drivers that are parked on a London street!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:59 (Ref:2025307)   #91
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good luck with the project,keep up the good work.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2025311)   #92
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Several members have posts with seats mentioned. How do you choose a safe seat in a historic car yet keep to period spec.? There is so little room in a single seater that often the seat squab is taken out to accommodate the driver. Yes, I know some people will say that is the driver's choice or they managed in period 'Are you man or mouse? etc. etc. But we all know that a safely anchored and carefully manufactured seat offers greater protection - and at the end of the day we are not earning a living from racing just having fun and maybe......... entertaining others.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 18:19 (Ref:2025320)   #93
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Unfortunatly there are no period seat,s that are really up to the job Lynx,as for the Man or Mouse,if it mean,s a "Period" seat just for apperence sake,and an increase of chance of serious injury,I,m happy to sit and squeak!.What pot of gold is awaiting us at the end of a race? it is only a hobby.