Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Jul 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2243095)   #76
908-HDI
Rookie

908-HDI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
johntt: At first I was thinking along the lines of Top Gear's football league using a bunch of Tatas, but be a bit more ambitious than rubbish.

Now your ITCC (Indian Touring Car Championship) idea using the tossable Nanos seems like a good start.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2243099)   #77
908-HDI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Should still be able to beat a 430 for pace and a 997 for bits not falling off
Probably not, but would definitely beat both in price. For one 430 or 997 you can get like 100 racing Nanos, plus or minus one for tax and other non-sensical government pocket change.

Back on topic of Jaguar racing, it largely depends on how willing the Tata owner is in terms of spending money on Jag's motorsport ventures. The only thing I'd like to see Jaguar go back to is top-tier prototype sportscar racing, a la Group C of the late 80's. Maybe a partnership again with TWR, if TWR is still around.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2243116)   #78
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908-HDI
Probably not, but would definitely beat both in price. For one 430 or 997 you can get like 100 racing Nanos, plus or minus one for tax and other non-sensical government pocket change.

Back on topic of Jaguar racing, it largely depends on how willing the Tata owner is in terms of spending money on Jag's motorsport ventures. The only thing I'd like to see Jaguar go back to is top-tier prototype sportscar racing, a la Group C of the late 80's. Maybe a partnership again with TWR, if TWR is still around.
What, so Tom Walkinshaw can suck everything dry of cash again? TWR went out of business when they ragged Arrows dry I think.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2243129)   #79
908-HDI
Rookie

Quote:
What, so Tom Walkinshaw can suck everything dry of cash again? TWR went out of business when they ragged Arrows dry I think.
Ah, a tragic end to a tragic end.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2243197)   #80
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apex would by far be the best people to work on any sportscar effort. Would be great to see them against Prodrive Astons and P&M Corvettes.

Re. the Nanos, how about some kind of Pro-Celebrity race in the style of Long Beach at the Indian GP (if/when it happens) using Nanos instead of Toyotas?

Last edited by johntt; 3 Jul 2008 at 16:36.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 3 Jul 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2243238)   #81
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

TWR went bust, but uncle Tom has been hanging around the Aussie V8 series lately with Tom Walkinshaw ENGINEERING (did you see what they did there - very subtle!)
Old 3 Jul 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2243249)   #82
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
And Tom Walkinshaw GROUP in UK (tuned Holdens rebadged as Vauxhalls and Mitsubishi rallycars)
Old 3 Jul 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2243358)   #83
908-HDI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Re. the Nanos, how about some kind of Pro-Celebrity race in the style of Long Beach at the Indian GP (if/when it happens) using Nanos instead of Toyotas?
I reckon it'd be better if the venue is held (again) at Laguna Seca (a la Monterey Historics). Would be lovely to see the flock of Nanos barreling down the cockscrew, with a bunch of strategically places giant bowling pins at the bottom of that hill.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2243362)   #84
908-HDI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
TWR went bust, but uncle Tom has been hanging around the Aussie V8 series lately with Tom Walkinshaw ENGINEERING (did you see what they did there - very subtle!)
It's very subtle when using just the acronyms. TWR or TWE.....no one would have thought the incoming money goes to the same guy.

So at least that's the good news (that TW's still around). It's about time Jaguar drills another hole into its wallet
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2259024)   #85
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just read on DSC that Ratan Tata (Mr Tata) has just announced in some sort on company presentation they are very seriously evaluating taking Jag back to LeMans......Jag is rich in racing history but has recently become tainted......rock on fella!.........
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2259052)   #86
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant ..... Hope they have a Indian hospitality unit , not that ill be seeing it . But there's always the bins !!!

Be great to see an Indian team at Le Mans , and the return of Jaguar too .

Just a wild thought ..... but Lammers would be great in the car , and Wallace too !!!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2259082)   #87
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
me thinks the team will have to be percieved as british, anything else would not go down too well with the purists, but I doo agree an Indian hospitality tent would be well worth it!

I wonder who else they have been talking to apart from Apex?.....prodrive is a no-no as discussed earlier, but surely Lola.........then theres the big question about which engine route?....NA, turbo or diesel........gawd knows!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2259104)   #88
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Jaguar would come back in GT, namely under the new GT regs, but don't have a thought as to which class. I have no evidence to back that up, just my thoughts, but I could see them building off of Apex's program.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2259114)   #89
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
Just read on DSC that Ratan Tata (Mr Tata) has just announced in some sort on company presentation they are very seriously evaluating taking Jag back to LeMans......Jag is rich in racing history but has recently become tainted......rock on fella!.........
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2259115)   #90
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb
I think Jaguar would come back in GT, namely under the new GT regs, but don't have a thought as to which class. I have no evidence to back that up, just my thoughts, but I could see them building off of Apex's program.
I am of the same mind. But I would think it will be the Apex program being moved forward into the GT-1/GT-2 range and probably with a direct injected 5.0L to start with, as that engine size seems to be the one that has the most versatility in the coming rule sets. FIA, 5.0L can go to either class and it is allowed in both ACO classes.

L.P.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2259147)   #91
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A GT car would be welcomed, but the ultimate goal has to be an overall win.

A rather sad indicment (sp) of the US automotive industry that Tata have identified the direction needed in a matter of months, while Ford pulled the sportscar program and went down the F1 blind alley. Meanwhile over at GM arguably the best sportscar team in the world has to beg for the opportunity to continue.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2259236)   #92
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
me thinks the team will have to be percieved as british, anything else would not go down too well with the purists, but I doo agree an Indian hospitality tent would be well worth it!
I agree about the food, we all know the best food in England is Indian cuisine. The rest is just Mutton!

DK
Old 28 Jul 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2259241)   #93
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I agree about the food, we all know the best food in England is Indian cuisine. The rest is just Mutton!

DK
ack. I would pass on that hospitality tent. Indian food does not agree with my stomach, and the smell makes me barf.

But we wish Mr Tata the best of luck and hopefully he will have some good advisors that he listen too. and not just a bunch of Yes Sir we can do that.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2259360)   #94
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ill be sniffing around that tent for a helping of onion bajhi's with mango chutney , pilau rice with a chicken tikka masala , with mushroom bajhi and bombay potatoes , garlic naan and a nice mango ice cream just o cool down in the sunday afternoon sun !!!

Any takers apart from Knighty & myself ?

And raita .....
Old 29 Jul 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2259382)   #95
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1

DK
off topic for a moment here..........with a US flag next to your ID you are in no position to say such things about UK food!!!!! ........when was the last time you ate in the UK?.......I have travelled the world with my work and have eaten in most countries, and UK cuisine from a decent UK resteraunt is still top notch.....generally speaking, you get what you pay for......I would also like to point out that the US pretty much invented obesity.........we are all quite slim in the UK as the food we eat is good quality and not riddled with oils and fat

back on topic.........yeah, me agrees I think it will prolly be a GT1 or 2 venture, then the ACO will grant them a very generous engine rule to entice them into LMP1
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2259513)   #96
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
off we are all quite slim in the UK
Not from that video somebody sent me about the locals near a pub called the pig & whistle !!! lol

But yeah ..... a good roast beef , you just cant beat it .
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2259638)   #97
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
A good curry is more traditionally British than Fish & Chips, these days.

Roll on the Rogan Josh Jag at Le Mans
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2259650)   #98
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
off topic for a moment here..........with a US flag next to your ID you are in no position to say such things about UK food!!!!! ........when was the last time you ate in the UK?.......I have travelled the world with my work and have eaten in most countries, and UK cuisine from a decent UK resteraunt is still top notch.....generally speaking, you get what you pay for......I would also like to point out that the US pretty much invented obesity.........we are all quite slim in the UK as the food we eat is good quality and not riddled with oils and fat

back on topic.........yeah, me agrees I think it will prolly be a GT1 or 2 venture, then the ACO will grant them a very generous engine rule to entice them into LMP1
All in good fun my friend!

DK
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2259665)   #99
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
A good curry is more traditionally British than Fish & Chips, these days.

Roll on the Rogan Josh Jag at Le Mans

As I said before ..... an onion bajhi stand , a bag of bajhi's , under the stars at Tetre Rouge at midnight ..... deeee-vine !!!
Old 29 Jul 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2259748)   #100
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
As I said before ..... an onion bajhi stand , a bag of bajhi's , under the stars at Tetre Rouge at midnight ..... deeee-vine !!!
Iwould totally agree the one thing that we all miss at lemans is a good Curry after an evening of cheap lager. But come to think of it there is one thing I would rather see than a Curry stand, and thats a competative Jag leading the pack through the dunlop bridge. Both would be nice but I would settle for the Jag.